Author Topic: EA's 2009 Disaster - 1500 jobs gone; over a dozen game titles cut; more MOH...  (Read 1106 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: EA's 2009 Disaster - 1500 jobs gone; over a dozen game titles cut; more MOH...
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »
So they can't afford to keep any of the people they spent all their fucking money acquiring before, but they can spend $300,000,000 to acquire more?  Nice, EA.  Really nice.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: EA's 2009 Disaster - 1500 jobs gone; over a dozen game titles cut; more MOH...
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »
How much you wanna bet their plan to revitalize MOH is "Buy Infinity Ward".
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 09:38:58 PM »
How much you wanna bet their plan to revitalize MOH is "Buy Infinity Ward".

Is Infinity Ward pissed at Activision?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 09:42:53 PM »
you know...

really?

sometimes...just...

i'm leaving
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
EA could always buy Treyarch, too...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 09:52:12 PM »
The Mythic part doesn't surprise me. Warhammer Online is the worst MMO fuckup I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. The only reason I give a shit is that the IP is pure badassery, and the game had some cool ideas and went for a pvp focus instead of the "thousands of hours raiding and grinding reps" WoW-clone model. The game has dropped from 60-70 server to like 4 or 5, the CEO was fired by EA (I blame him, not EA), and one faction has been overpowered for so long that it has 5X the population of the opposing faction, and Mythic has been giving new players bonus XP incentives to play on the overcrowded side (WTF?). I wouldn't be surprised if the plan has been to kill the game off intentionally so they can just be done with it.

Skimming these links makes it seem like EA is redifining their goals and trimming the fat, hopefully to get rid of the teams doing shovelware games. It says they want to focus more on high margin projects, and that means bigger name games with bigger budgets. Yea that leads to lack of chance-taking projects, but were their shovelware budget games innovating?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 09:58:18 PM »
Oh yeah, the "social game" company is going to produce some fine, high-quality stuff, I'm sure.  It won't be utter tripe to please the masses of codependent morons in the world who can't bear the mere thought of entertaining themselves without 63 of their friends.

EDIT - Oh yeah, that's awesome stuff right there.  They even have a list of all their fabulous titles, so you can figure out which one will most pleasingly induce nausea for you!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 10:06:37 PM »
Oh yeah, the "social game" company is going to produce some fine, high-quality stuff, I'm sure.  It won't be utter tripe to please the masses of codependent morons in the world who can't bear the mere thought of entertaining themselves without 63 of their friends.

EDIT - Oh yeah, that's awesome stuff right there.  They even have a list of all their fabulous titles, so you can figure out which one will most pleasingly induce nausea for you!

They'll probably integrate some of this Playfish company's micro-transactions style of stuff right into their Sims games. Maybe into other EA titles, too.

I smell DLC mania.