Author Topic: 8 things you should NOT talk about in an interview.  (Read 2185 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: 8 things you should NOT talk about in an interview.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 07:00:05 AM »
Seems pretty common sense to me.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 08:24:41 AM »
I had a job for a short time with a recruiter/headhunter firm, many years ago.  What I remember best about the training was that you never ever speak ill of a former boss, even if he deserves it.  To the contrary, you heap praise on the miserable SOB.  The rationale was that you won't get hired if the prospective employers fear you will end up trashing their reputation later on.

. . . the interviewer will wonder why you're applying for the job and will probably conclude you're after money, not a career

This, to me, is the most difficult problem with interviews.  Of course I'm after money.  If I didn't need money, anything I chose to do, I'd do for myself, not some company full of rules, pressure and politics.  So I have to lie, convincingly, that I really give a crap about the employer and his goals.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »
That's why I'm self-employed.

Every job I interviewed for would try to make it sound like you were joining some magical family. It never seemed to be about the money. No, you were supposed to pull long hours because you wanted to be there and enjoyed doing mundane crap for the greater good of the company.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 01:17:08 AM »
Cools, will you hire me? I promise I'm in it just for the money and don't care about the success of your business.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 29, 2010, 04:03:21 PM »
Sure, as long as you get the job done and don't bitch at the weather or how the Leafs suck. :P

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, May 29, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »
No small talk and no fake loyalty? Sign me up.