Author Topic: Lost Planet PC -- UPDATE: $4.99 for weekend sale on Steam  (Read 2773 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Lost Planet PC -- UPDATE: $4.99 for weekend sale on Steam
« on: Saturday, April 14, 2007, 06:49:47 AM »
It's good to hear Capcom's going to bring a console hit to the PC, like say....this one, Lost Planet....

...Now, someone CONVINCE Capcom to port DEAD RISING over....

Lost Planet eclipsing PCs in June, sequel possible
[UPDATE] Xbox 360 smash is pulling another platform into its orbit with the assistance of Nvidia; Capcom executive promises more announcements soon.
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Apr 13, 2007 1:51 pm PT

Ever since its release in January, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition has been a runaway success. The solidly reviewed Xbox 360 title was the best selling game on all non-PC platforms in January, selling over 408,000 copies in the US alone. By the end of February, that tally had shot up to in excess of 527,000 units, according to the latest Figures from the NPD group. To date, the game has topped the 1 million mark sales-wise worldwide.

Now, it appears that Lost Planet will be pulling another platform into its orbit. According to a press release from graphics-chip-maker Nvidia's Japanese subsidiary, Capcom's sci-fi shooter will blast its way onto the PC. Nvidia says it helped Capcom optimize the game so it can use Microsoft DirectX 10 and reach resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600 pixels. However, DirectX 10 is not required to run the game. Naturally, Nvidia touted its GeForce 8 series of GPUs as being the best graphics chips to run Lost Planet on PCs.

[UPDATE] Last night at its Gamers Day San Francisco, Capcom showed off the PC version Lost Planet to a gathering of the game press. It also announced the game would go on sale in North America fairly soon--this coming June--for the retail price of $39.99. Like the 360 version, it will be rated T for Teen.

Since it was originally touted as an Xbox 360 exclusive, Lost Planet's arrival on the PC has irked platform partisans. Capcom's message to them is simple: Get used to it.
Hehe.

At the event, the company unveiled its "Internal Framework," a development system which will allow a single game to be developed for multiple platforms simultaneously from the get-go. "We're definitely going to start taking the tack of putting out titles out on multiple platforms," Jack Symon, Capcom's director of brand marketing, told GameSpot.[/b]
Hell yes!!!
Bring Dead Rising NEXT!!!

When asked about the possibility of Lost Planet coming to the PlayStation 3, Symon was vague. "I do think you are going to see announcements going forward with a multiplatform strategy," he said. He was similarly cagey when queried point-blank about a Lost Planet sequel. "Lost Planet performed incredibly well on the 360, and we're excited to put it out on the PC platform," said Symon, "We're definitely proud to have a new IP, and there will be more on Lost Planet for sure."
I'm glad Capcom is being more gung-ho for the PC. It's nice to see. :)

I think we are in a world where we will see more console developers likely develop for the PC platform as well, since the X360 and PC are quite alike -- not in all regards, but in a good amount. We were already in a multi-platforming world; now it's getting bigger...

Symon also said that, like the 360 version, the PC Lost Planet will get content updates that can be downloaded via the Web. However, he would not comment on any pricing or timing.
Not too surprising.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 04:12:56 PM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Lost Planet coming to the PC -- by Capcom
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 14, 2007, 08:55:41 AM »
I could see it maybe being a fun game on the PC.  The aiming is ridiculously slow on the 360.  I put my copy up for sale on eBay a few days ago.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 14, 2007, 09:44:16 AM »
There are sensitivity controls (in the demo, anyway).  But definitely, the game would benefit greatly from mouse aiming.  After playing the demo several times, I decided it wasn't worth the asking price to me.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 14, 2007, 11:09:51 AM »
Yeah, there are sensitivity controls, but none of them are optimal.  The aiming is just too slow period.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 14, 2007, 11:13:45 AM »
Funny, I think this is the kind of game I'd be more apt to play on a console instead of waste a lot of install space on a mere TPS.  Maybe that's just me.  I think I'll pick it up for 360 once it gets cheapish.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 14, 2007, 11:20:31 AM »
I worry about Capcom porting it over.  If I recall, they don't have very many PC games, so there's a good chance they might screw it up.

I've never tried Lost Planet though.  I'm tempted to, but I just haven't had time to do it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 15, 2007, 10:21:23 PM »
They have done some shitty PC ports.  Seriously, look at the lighting in RE4.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 15, 2007, 10:33:55 PM »
Wait... what?  The RE4 port isn't out until May I thought.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 15, 2007, 10:44:10 PM »
Wait... what?  The RE4 port isn't out until May I thought.

It's out in Europe and Australia I think, just not North America yet.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 15, 2007, 10:57:10 PM »
Commercial release out in Europe for a while now, and it's been all over the internet.  I haven't played it, but I've seen pictures and read testimony.  To sum it up: imagine the PS2 version of the game with no shaders and the lighting being all fucked up.  Apparently there basically isn't any lighting to speak of.....the screen brightness just changes.  I can't say if that's true or not, but it certainly looks worse and the depth perception is all whacked so I sort of believe it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 15, 2007, 11:06:04 PM »
Yeah, that doesn't seem likely.  Capcom, no matter how shitty their PC ports are, wouldn't release a game without lighting.  It wouldn't surprise me if the port wasn't particularly great, but I highly doubt it's *that* bad.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 02:16:24 AM »
I worry about Capcom porting it over.  If I recall, they don't have very many PC games, so there's a good chance they might screw it up.

I've never tried Lost Planet though.  I'm tempted to, but I just haven't had time to do it.

Well at least it is good practice till they bring Dead Rising.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 06:57:23 AM »
Well at least it is good practice till they bring Dead Rising.

Good point!!!

Oh, God -- PC Version of DR would make me VERY happy.  ;D

And if they botch the KB/mouse controls, I have my good ole PC gamepad waiting for it!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 07:33:18 AM »
GameSpot previews the Lost Planet: Extreme Condition for the PC

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition PC Version Hands-On
We revisit the snow, guns, and bugs of Lost Planet with a first look at the recently announced PC version of Capcom's hit action game.
By Greg Mueller, GameSpot
Posted Apr 13, 2007 5:01 pm PT

Earlier this year Capcom scored a hit with the release of Lost Planet: Extreme Condition on the Xbox 360. Looking to expand on that success, Capcom is now bringing the game to the PC. The PC version of Lost Planet is a direct port of the Xbox 360 version with new multiplayer maps and optimized graphics and special effects. We played the game to see how it holds up on the PC.

In terms of content, you won't find anything new in the Lost Planet single-player game. The multiplayer game is mostly unchanged as well and still supports up to 16 players online with four different game modes. The PC version of the game does come with some new maps and an updated server lobby, but that's the extent of the new content. Lost Planet is branded as a Games for Windows product, but it isn't a part of the Games for Windows - Live program. That means there won't be any achievements or cross-platform multiplayer built into the game.
Seems like content-wise, won't be much difference b/t the PC and X360 version.

Instead of having new missions, enemies, or weapons, the PC version of Lost Planet has been enhanced and adapted for high-end gaming machines. The game supports both DirectX9 and DirectX10, so it's compatible with both Windows XP and Vista. Most notably, Lost Planet supports resolutions up to 2560x1600, so if you have a capable video card and monitor you can expect to see crisp, detailed effects on the PC that aren't possible on the Xbox 360. Lighting, shadows, and particle effects all show fairly significant improvement over the Xbox 360 version of the game, which already looked great to begin with. The team at Capcom has been working with graphics gurus at Nvidia to optimize Lost Planet for the PC. As a result, Lost Planet is part of Nvidia's "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" lineup of games.
That's pretty sweet, on the technical side of things.

I think we'll be seeing more games that on the box will actually support Win XP and Vista. I hope so, since I don't wanna see too many Vista ONLY games SO early upon the release of a new OS.

Rather than simply reading a laundry list of technical specifications, we let our eyes do the work by playing through one of the early levels in the game. Bear in mind that we were playing the game on a tricked-out system at 1280x720 resolution on a 30-odd-inch LCD monitor, so results and performance will of course vary. Based on our time with the game, though, it looks great. The lighting and particle effects are especially noticeable, and we found ourselves blinded by blowing snow and fiery explosions several times. The textures are all sharp and detailed, and the game runs quite smoothly despite the copious numbers of massive bugs and explosions appearing onscreen.
Sweet.

We played the game using the mouse and keyboard controls, but it does also support the Xbox 360 controller. In fact, the button cues that show up onscreen correspond with buttons on the Xbox 360 gamepad rather than the keyboard keys. We found that using the mouse to aim and the WASD keys to move works perfectly well in Lost Planet, and if you're a veteran of PC shooters you'll have no trouble jumping right into this one. It did take us a few minutes to get used to using the C key for the grappling hook, but after a few attempts we were able to swing about the level with ease.
Well, sounds like the PC controls won't be botched -- very good news! :)

I don't use C for crouch, normally. So "C" for grappling is no biggie for me -- usually, I use configure crouching to Right Alt.

In addition to the graphical enhancements, the PC version has an edge over the Xbox 360 version in terms of price. The PC version of Lost Planet will retail for $39.99, a full $20 cheaper than the Xbox 360 release.
Price is always an issue; hehe! :) That's good.

So, it means stores like BB and CC might hopefully have it on sale for cheaper than $40 probably, when it comes out and all -- at least after a few weeks or months, at the worst!

But before you drop your money on the game, you can try out a PC demo, which will be available in May.
Goodie! We can see how good or bad it performs, upon release.

The game will be released in June of this year, so be sure to check back here for more details and our full review. In the meantime, you can check out more than 20 brand-new screenshots from the game.
Cool.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 16, 2007, 11:15:45 AM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 08:10:20 AM »
Awesome! Without D I wouldn't be able to keep up with all this stuff. He is like the mama bird digesting the food and the spitting it in our mouths... OK not really.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 07:02:18 PM »
Yeah, that doesn't seem likely.  Capcom, no matter how shitty their PC ports are, wouldn't release a game without lighting.  It wouldn't surprise me if the port wasn't particularly great, but I highly doubt it's *that* bad.

Yeah, like I said I haven't played it so I can't say.  It sounds pretty bad, but the screenshots I've seen people take are just awful.  Waaay worse than the PS2 version.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 06:36:12 PM »
We knew the demo for Lost Planet on the PC was planned for May.

Well, now it's dated!

Coming next Tuesday, May 15th.

Lost Planet PC Demo Coming May 15

Capcom has announced that the demo for the upcoming PC port of their Xbox 360 sci-fi action game Lost Planet will be released on May 15. The full game, which will be one of the first that will support DirectX10 graphical features under Windows Vista, will be released in June.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Lost Planet PC -- UPDATE: DX9 and DX10 Version Demos for PC released
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 11:36:39 PM »
I just watched the Gamespot DX10 vs DX9 comparison video (link here).

Honestly, the only noticeable difference was the slightly higher framerate with DX9. Of course, the resolution of the video probably covers up a lot of the texture enhancements which DX10 claims, but is it really a big diff?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 12:01:30 AM »
I guess you have to wait till games like Crysis, Hellgate, Alan Wake and Unreal 3 to see what DX10 is all about.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 01:35:27 PM »
I guess you have to wait till games like Crysis, Hellgate, Alan Wake and Unreal 3 to see what DX10 is all about.

That's my guess, too.

I doubt a console-to-PC port will really show what DX10 is capable of.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Lost Planet PC -- UPDATE: New content coming July 20th for PC version
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 01:51:11 PM »
Lost Planet for the PC and X360 will get new free content coming.

PC version will get it, this Friday -- July 20, 2007.

Lost Planet Content Friday [July 17, 2007, 10:01 am ET] - 11 Comments
Capcom has announced plans to release new content for the PC edition of Lost Planet: Extreme Condition on Friday, and that this content will also be released freely for Xbox 360 owners, who are also going to be getting a new patch to address connectivity issues:

Capcom announced today new additional features and a new multiplayer map pack for Lost Planet PC. Coming July 20, it will feature new playable characters, including Frank West of Dead Rising and the "Blue Bomber" aka Megaman, along with an over the shoulder view and a wide view Multiplayer mode now has a list of connected players and a movie mode to watch all of the cut scenes. There will also be a map pack with Radar Field, Island 902, Hive Complex and Trial Point.
That's cool. :)

Capcom also had announcements for Lost Planet fans on Xbox 360. In conjunction with the PC update on July 20, all these maps will also be made available for free download on Xbox Live Marketplace. There will also be a new patch addressing connectivity issues for Xbox 360 users at the end of July.
That's fair; X360's will get the additional content, as well.
Cool beans!

Now, someone tell and convince Capcom to remove the need of an Internet connection for the SP portion of the game, thanks!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Lost Planet PC -- UPDATE: New MP content for July 20th on the PC version
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 16, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »
Even more content added to the MP portion of Lost Planet -- 4 new MP maps.

And some new DX10 features been enhanced, too.

New Maps, Features for Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
August 16, 2007, 8:56 am - Eric Twelker

Capcom has released a host of free new features for Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, including four new multiplayer maps, a chat system, and DirectX 10 enhancements. The update will be applied automatically when you restart your Steam client.

The update includes:

* Four new multiplayer maps. Map Pack #2 includes Battleground (an abandoned town scattered with rubble from ruined buildings), Lost Technology (a tribute to 8-bit games), Ruins, (ancient ruins set amidst a lush jungle), and Ice Drop (a glacier with plenty of peaks, nooks, and crannies)
    * DirectX 10 enhancements. Specialized DirectX 10 Geometry Shaders improve overall visual quality through better depth of field effects and improved motion blurring and fur shading.
    * Chat system. A new chat feature includes four default messages that can be sent to other players from the game lobby or while playing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Lost Planet PC -- UPDATE: MP Map Pack 2 Released + Some DX10 Enhancements
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition PC is $4.99 this weekend over STEAM (Original Edition).

The Colonies Edition is NOT out on Steam.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Lost Planet PC -- UPDATE: $4.99 for weekend sale on Steam
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 05:12:43 PM »
Lost Planet Was a mildly fun console multiplayer game.  The turning rate was atrocious and really got in the way of the gameplay.  If it had mouselook it would be much better (maybe the PC version does).

But the single player game... I could not understand the story at all.  It was as if it was supposed to be a 2 hour movie and instead they cut it to about 20 minutes of three minute segments and shoved completely unrelated gameplay in between them.