Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins -> Update: DAO Ultimate joins GOG  (Read 149958 times)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - SPOILERS from Page 7 and on
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 12:41:49 AM »
Good to know.  I'm just planning ahead.  It'll be a week or two before I start playing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #321 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 01:37:46 AM »
One other little criticism of the game. My brother decided he wanted to play, and created a black human character... turned out his parents were still white hehe.
I tested that too! Disappointing. Really weird choice to not alter the family characters to match the player at least in skin colour. I recall in Deus Ex whatever skin you chose dictated your brother's looks too.

It's also the same case with the City Elf; no matter what my hair or skin colour is my family always looks the same.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #322 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 01:39:58 AM »
Yea when my brother showed me that, I told him to pretend that his character was adopted. :P :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 01:51:26 AM »
Yea when my brother showed me that, I told him to pretend that his character was adopted. :P :P

Haha that's what I told myself too :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #324 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 06:18:15 AM »
One other little criticism of the game. My brother decided he wanted to play, and created a black human character... turned out his parents were still white hehe.
:o
You mean there isn't an Origin story involve a story about an orphan who got adopted or something?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #325 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 08:44:35 AM »
Yes there is, but we are still pretending. :-|

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #326 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
Yes there is, but we are still pretending. :-|

Well, I'm sure Bioware will put out an Orphan Origin DLC as DLC for $7-10. :-X
It'll probably be 30 mins to 1 hour short. :-X

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #327 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 11:02:01 AM »
One thing that stands out so far is the choppiness during the first cut scene and during regular game play.  Hoping it's something that gets patched out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 11:03:44 AM »
One thing that stands out so far is the choppiness during the first cut scene and during regular game play.  Hoping it's something that gets patched out.

Is it an in-game cut-scene or a Bink-style cut-scene video?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #329 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »
During the opening cut scene.  It's also a little jerky as I'm running around.  Just enough to be a distraction.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #330 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »
During the opening cut scene.  It's also a little jerky as I'm running around.  Just enough to be a distraction.
EDIT:
Oh, K-Man - this trick is for the PC versions of a game using Bink, BTW.

ORIGINAL POST:
I mean, is it a pre-rendered vid with link wide-screen bars below and above the cinematic (which normally is Bink)?
Or is it done within the game engine?

A lot games that have recently used Bink for a multi-platformed game for BOTH PC and consoles - Borderlands (for the bus vid only); Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood; Prototype; Street Fighter 4; Call of Duty: World at War - have ALL had problems on the PC version of this game, for some reason. Basically, the issue is - the video runs fine but the sound is VERY choppy or lagging too far behind.

If you have that problem, usually switching your sound to a lower setting w/in Windows or your sound card settings can easily solve the issue. Another solution is go into your game folder of the game you're having trouble - we'll call this Game A - and find BinkW32.DLL. Look at the details, see what version it is - rename that BinkW32.DLL (to keep it, just in case - for backup purposes) to say BinkW32_old.DLL and take a newer Bink32.DLL from some other game (like say Wolfenstein and Section 8 - they got VERY new versions of Bink32.DLL) and toss that into the Game A's folder.

Usually, the Bink replacement trick works - it worked well for NWN1, back in the day. And it helped Prototype PC's cut-scenes run a little better.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #331 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 12:00:49 PM »
If it's prerendered I doubt it would be choppy.  I hear the PS3 version does suffer from some framerate issues. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
If it's prerendered I doubt it would be choppy.  I hear the PS3 version does suffer from some framerate issues. 
Normally, yes. However there are some configurations that get choppy with Bink videos only. Not sure what causes it exactly, but it was the case with my older system.

DOA has also had some reports of choppy frames on some systems. Some people have been able to alleviate the problem by lowering their "Graphic Detail" setting in the Video options in the game menu (not the config tool).

A lot of the performance issues are attributed to bugs which will hopefully be resolved in upcoming patches.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 01:53:53 PM »
Ugh, at this point I wonder if I wouldn't have been better off getting the PC version.  I mean I got the PS3 version under the impression it would run smoothly.  So far that has not been the case.

At least the game itself has been fun so-far.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #334 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
Strange, I never saw that mentioned as an issue anywhere, really.  I think one review said something about there were occasional hitches, but that was about it.  Sorta' sucks.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 05:57:19 PM »
Some mild research suggested I reinstall the game information.  I may give that a shot.

Aside from that I can see having a ton of fun with it.  Stumpy is making a name for himself.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #336 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 11:54:29 PM »
Yea I plan to play as a dwarven fighter on my second play through.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #337 on: Friday, December 04, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »
Haven't posted an update in a while, just been too lazy as it takes time away from playing more DA. I'm still at it hardcore, so far I'm at 70+ hours. The game has gotten much easier for me, probably has a lot to do with the advice you've all given me and the fact that my characters have gotten a lot stronger. That's another thing I've always loved about Bioware RPGs, if you do go out of your way to explore more and check out and complete as much side quests as you can, you are rewarded with more leveling and loot. I think the big turning point was this amazing armor set I found which was a little bit of a bitch to acquire, but boy did it pay off. I definitely wouldn't say its been a push over, I still have to think tactically during boss fights, which there are some awesome boss fights, but I feel like I'm given a little more breathing room as my characters can take more hits without have to chug a potion or take a heal every time I have to pause. I've also managed to get my approval ratings for all the characters up pretty high, all except of Alistair, I've kind of been neglecting him since now I have so many characters that are high damage melee. Though I haven't been using the trap skill like at all, and I know it's something that can be very useful, especially for crowd control, but carrying around materials for everything like potion and poison making starts to really take a chunk out of your inventory, trap making would just take more of it. I also wish there was a hotkey for crafting, since I no longer have any room in my ability bars to have that crafting button for easy use. Probably the most amazing thing I've witnessed so far are some of the finishing moves characters will pull off, I nearly shat my pants watching my dwarf tackle an ogre, driving his sword through his face. Fantastic.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 08:31:10 PM »
Yea man, like yourself, I am going pretty hardcore still. I don't get as much time off as I like to play the game, but played most of Sunday after a week of inactivity.

I am just about headed into the Deep Roads, which seems to be a lot like the Underdark, from the Forgotten Realms universe.

I just have the main city left to do after this, so I am quite quite powerful at this stage and I am considering moving the difficulty up to 'hard'.

edit:

Nevermind... normal is quite OK. :)
« Last Edit: Monday, December 07, 2009, 12:59:11 AM by Pugnate »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #339 on: Monday, December 07, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: PC Patch 1.02 released (Reply 339)
« Reply #340 on: Monday, December 07, 2009, 09:54:28 PM »
Well I finally finished it the other night, I can say I completed most of the side quests and my final time was just over 80 hours. This was such an amazing RPG, definitely ranks up there with the best I have ever played. It was a little tough at first and there was a bit of a learning curve getting used to the combat and trying to think tactically more than I usually would for this kind of game but the experience has been truly rewarding on so many levels, from its combat to the very rich and in-depth story. The story was very enjoyable if not a little typical and formulaic but its implementation of how you fit in the world and how the choices you make can change it was something much more engrossing in Dragon Age than any other Bioware game I have played, though keep in mind I haven't played anything from Bioware pre-KOTOR.

Anyhow, theres lots of big stuff that happens in the end that can really fuck with you, decision wise stuff. You can go to the Bioware social network stuff and see all the choices I made as it even tracks all that which I thought is pretty neat. But I'll explain my reasoning here.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #341 on: Friday, December 11, 2009, 12:10:48 PM »
Still haven't finished, but the funny thing is that I keep thinking about the characters I am going to create on my second and third playthroughs.

I recently got the spell that makes your enemies explode upon death. The death animation is really sweet for that spell.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #342 on: Friday, December 11, 2009, 02:42:37 PM »
Still haven't finished, but the funny thing is that I keep thinking about the characters I am going to create on my second and third playthroughs.
That's the mark of a great game - if you're already thinking of what kind of character you want to create next time around.

Often, once I'm done w/ a game one-time through, I'm done with it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #343 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
If it is the mark of a great game then how come I didn't feel that while playing Tetris? :P

I just love Dragon Age, and can't get enough.

I find that the mages are even more fantastic with the right planning. A mage can learn a second level spell that will allow her/him to replenish mana through corpses. That is just awesome.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #344 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 09:48:43 AM »
I played a few more hours last night, and I think I've just decided to not continue until Bioware fixes the PS3 framerate issue.  It's terribly distracting.  IF the ps3 version is the superior console version like everyone says I'd hate to play the 360 version.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #345 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 11:16:17 AM »
I just read the IGN review and it looks like the PS3 looks better than the 360 version but the 360 version has smoother frames. Gamespot still called it the PS3 version the best on the consoles though.

Hope they patch it. Isn't it possible for you to exchange it for the 360 version for a nominal fee?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #346 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 11:20:58 AM »
*cough*PC*cough*

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #347 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 12:20:13 PM »
I played a few more hours last night, and I think I've just decided to not continue until Bioware fixes the PS3 framerate issue.  It's terribly distracting.  IF the ps3 version is the superior console version like everyone says I'd hate to play the 360 version.

I hope it isn't too bad when I start to play it because I picked up the PS3 version myself.  I still haven't had a chance to play it yet since I'm still working on God of War II.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #348 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 01:37:58 PM »

No no.  You don't understand.  The 360 version is cake for someone who understands the PC way of programming games.  The PS3, on the other hand, is a royal bitch for those same people.  Bioware hails from PC-land, so there you have it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #349 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »
I just read the IGN review and it looks like the PS3 looks better than the 360 version but the 360 version has smoother frames. Gamespot still called it the PS3 version the best on the consoles though.

Hope they patch it. Isn't it possible for you to exchange it for the 360 version for a nominal fee?

I doubt seriously I could exchange it.  Most stores will only exchange open games for the exact same thing.  I've got too many hours invested in Stumpy to just up and start over anyway.  Sort of wishing I had bought it on PC at this point, but then gaming in my recliner is much more comfortable.  Hopefully Bioware will get it sorted.  I'm sure they're working hard to resolve it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #350 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 04:51:10 PM »
K, you could say always buy DAO PC when it hits $20 or less, sometime down the line...?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #351 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »
Do you even read what people write D?  He's saying he doesn't want to start the game over at this point because he's invested a lot of time into his character already.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #352 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 05:28:16 PM »
haha...

Plus a $20 drop in price won't make up for the fact that he needs to upgrade his system, and he has already spent the $$$ on the console version.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #353 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »
It's funny, the first thing I always did when I upgraded my system is to play all of the games from previous years that I couldn't flat out run, or could only run with issues.

I'll never forget buying all the parts and building my PC the day Doom 3 came out and then playing it with everything bumped to the max.  That was awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #354 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 06:09:17 PM »
Do you even read what people write D?  He's saying he doesn't want to start the game over at this point because he's invested a lot of time into his character already.

Does anybody read (into) what I say?
Key words in my phrase = "some time down the line."

What I mean is....
I doubt DAO PC will drop to $20 for at least 6 months.
Hell, might be even more.
Might be able to get DAO PC deal like that by Black Friday 2010...maybe.

By the time it drops to $20 universally for good, he'll probably have finished at least one of his DAO PS3 characters...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #355 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 06:30:22 PM »
Please don't rape this thread D.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #356 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
Please don't rape this thread D.

Just give it time, Pug...  :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #357 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 07:33:42 PM »
Still in the deep roads and I can now see why they are named as such. I had a very interesting boss battle just now with an...obese... creature. Some of the battles in this game are just brilliant.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #358 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »
Yea that was a cool fight and it also sheds a little light on the darkspawn and how they are created. Man I really can't wait till more DLC get released down the road. Return to Ostagar comes out soon doesn't it?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #359 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 08:58:46 PM »
I'd be wary about getting too excited over the DLC.  Their showings thus far have been abysmal and the stuff they did for Mass Effect was fucking horrendous.  I don't think these guys have any idea whatsoever how to make a quality piece of DLC that has any value.  The only reason Shale's DLC was okay is because it was plainly made as part of the full game and cut.