Author Topic: Dual Screen Setup!  (Read 1422 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Dual Screen Setup!
« on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 01:17:08 AM »
So I bought a computer from a friend last month, Im using parts from it for the new machine Im building, he also threw in his 19' widescreen monitor. I finally set it up today and got a cool looking wallpaper you may recognize.

I don't know why I waited this long to do it before, because its awesome for multitasking, especially while gaming.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Dual Screen Setup!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 01:30:23 AM »
Damn, makes me wish I had another monitor.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 02:23:03 AM »
Sweet! :D

Two widescreens make a sweet panoramic view of the desktop. I only have one widescreen and my second screen was a standard 17" and made a great tool palette in Photoshop and Illustrator.

I eventually stopped using dual monitors mainly because of a lack of desk space but also to minimize game-related complications. The latter may have changed with improved drivers.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 05:32:43 AM »
I ran dual CRTs at one point, but when I upgraded and went back to a tower I lost a lot of desk space. When I had my little Shuttle box I would keep one CRT sitting on it as my secondary. My CRTs also started dying and now the only working screen I have is my LCD.

And yea, it was annoying that I had to disable the second monitor for some games. Though I really mostly used the second monitor like it was a second PC, with a web browser or media player on it while I had a game (herm, WoW) on the main one.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 06:00:43 AM »
I'm mostly likely going to go dual myself because I plan to finally get a widescreen LCD.  Instead of chucking this other, I'll likely leave it and see if I can use both.  We'll see.  It all depends on moneys.

Your setup is awesome, though, Pyro.  Now just show it off by playing something other than WoW!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 07:44:15 AM »
I've used two at work for awhile and it's nice most of the time but it can be a pain at times if you have two monitors that run at different resolutions.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 08:48:18 AM »
That's my problem.  I have the cheap Acer off to the right.  But it's higher res.  The PC display is cloned, so it's the same res on both.  1360x768 is not only a bit blurry on the Acer, it's also the wrong aspect ratio for 16:10.  It's there just so I can do something quick on the PC if I need to while something else is happening on the main display.

What are those, 24"?  They go great together.  You only need to prop up the one on the left a bit.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »
Do you have something stuffed under the back edges of the monitor stands? They look like they're not in contact with the desk surface in the back.

I'd love to be able to have a setup with 3 monitors and run games across all 3. I've been checking on info and fixes for various games to get them running properly in widescreen on widescreengamingforum.com, and a lot of times they have info for Triplehead, a multi-monitor hardware device that spans the game screen across all monitors.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 06, 2009, 10:26:21 AM »
I'm in the same situation as scottws. I use a Wacom Cintiq pen display for work and it's lower resolution than my main display. It's a bitch.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 06, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »
Do you have something stuffed under the back edges of the monitor stands? They look like they're not in contact with the desk surface in the back.

I'd love to be able to have a setup with 3 monitors and run games across all 3. I've been checking on info and fixes for various games to get them running properly in widescreen on widescreengamingforum.com, and a lot of times they have info for Triplehead, a multi-monitor hardware device that spans the game screen across all monitors.

Yea I did put something into the back that the monitor its tilting on. This is because that monitor cant be tilted it all to face it directly at me where im sitting, so I had to improvise, the other is sitting flat though.