Author Topic: Party of the Year/The OWnet Meeting - NOW WITH PICS!  (Read 27810 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Party of the Year/The Overwritten Meeting
« Reply #200 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 05:48:21 PM »
Tomorrow is the big picture posting day!

Tomorrow is today.  They're coming, guys, relax.  My hosting is good now so all I gotta' do is finish up the play-by-play (yes, I'm doing a "blog"... ugh) and throw the pics up.  It'll be done by tonight with a link.  In fact, you can preview it right now by going to www.theflyingmonkeyapparatus.com.  SMEXY!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #201 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »
Hooray! The back of my head!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #202 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 09:25:51 PM »
I am so fucking pissed right now.  I just spent about 2 hours or so doing the HTML for all this shit... and it fucking up and disappeared.  I have no idea how or why or where.  My index is there, the first menus, etc, but ALL THE FUCKING SHIT I JUST TYPED is gone for no reason whatsoever.  I suspect it's the fault of CuteFTP since I was using its built-in editor just because I like a couple of the buttons it has sitting there because they save typing in Notepad, but WHAT THE FUCK?!

Also my server is down and the idiots have no idea when it'll be up again, and it's been that way for hours now.  So... yeah.  Sorry guys, this isn't happening tonight.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #203 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »
 :(

Been waiting for it... oh well...  That's why i always type stuff in word or notepad first!
Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #204 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 10:30:16 PM »
Well, that shouldn't have mattered.  There were 3 files, all saved.  They were there, ready to go, and I wasn't touching them.  Then I went to open one to look at something... and it wasn't there.  But 2 of the 5 total were still there.  I have no clue what could have happened.  I thought I somehow deleted them but I used my undelete utility and got nothing.  They just vanished like smoke.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #205 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 10:51:57 PM »
Well, to hold people over I can tell about my train travels (since the pics will cover pretty much everything in between).

The first trip was...late. An hour late getting on the train in Chicago was kind of a hint at how the whole thing would go. The first day was kind of boring.

The next morning I woke up in Nebraska. We were stopped in a field somewhere because there was a freight train that broke down in front of us. That was a 2-3 hour wait. Later that afternoon we arrived in Denver. This was going to be a 30 minute stop because we had to change engines. The new engine had a broken horn. We sat there another 2-3 hours for them to fix it (or find another engine...I have no idea).

After Denver we got into the mountains and it was awesome. I sat in the observation car for a good while. I would totally live up in those mountains if I could.

After the amazingness we went back to waiting. This one was outrageous. We were only about an hour away from the last stop when the train slows down and stops near the tiny town of Radium, CO. The conductor announces "Due to federal regulations, my shift has ended and I can no longer drive the train. A new conductor will come and take over for me." They had to drive the new conductor 3 hours to get to us. We sat in this little canyon for 3 hours. Couldn't get off the train, no cell phone coverage, nothing. They did eventually pass out some snacks and bottles of water...

Day 3 was just...long. We were so far behind schedule that we had to bend to the other train companies whim, which meant we were moving slower than normal. Through boring flat desert. I mostly read that day, or slept when I could (sleeping through the night was tough). So instead of getting there Friday at 5pm I ended up getting there at 5am Saturday, a full 12 hours behind schedule. Thanks to sy for still picking me up..heh.

The trip home was better. I sat right at the front of the car which allowed me to put my feet up on the wall, making the trip more comfortable. Unfortunately the door that lead to the other car was broken. At first it was just kind of slow..which meant people would pound on the damn thing very loudly, thinking that would make it work. Eventually the staff disabled the door, so it could just be slid open. Only they never put a sign on it, so people would still pound on the door trying to make it work. Except the young people. They push the button, it didnt work, so they force it open. Big deal. Old people? Fuck...HIT IT HARDER, IT ALMOST WORKED THAT TIME! Whenever there was a pound on the door, I'd look up and it was some old person doing it.

Anyway, door disabled. This meant that it would slide open and close itself as the train swayed back and forth. Since the door is used to block the sounds from between the cars...when it would sway and open you could hear all the squealing and grinding of the metal, then it would sway back and slam the door shut. Just in time for some old lady to come by and pound on the button.

For 3 days.

At Denver we ended up picking up something like 100 Boy Scouts. We were at full capacity so one had to sit near me. He was all right I guess. Except he elbowed me in the stomach when I was sleeping. They got on at 10PM and got off at 7 the next morning so it wasnt that big a deal. Pretty much slept the whole time they were on.

I guess we were still at capacity because there was this group of chicks that got on. No, it was not an idol party train...they were like 13 year olds and their moms. So anyway, they had assigned seats. The one right next to me, and the two just across the isle. They pretty much refused to sit in the one next to me. It was 2 chaperon moms and some teenager. The moms traded off that one seat and refused for the longest time to sit near me. The one was tired and decided to sit by me, and the other even said to her "Are you sure? I can stand..." Like...what the fuck? I can still hear you. Neither of them said a word to me. I was close to saying something witty and guilt tripping them...but it was my 3rd day on the train. Fuck you guys, I'm not moving and won't make things easy for you. You want to assume I'm some creepy bearded rapist or something, go for it. I dont care if you have to stand all day.

So we eventually arrive in Chicago, only 3 hours late this time. So its 6pm and we couldnt make it back to the Metra station in time for the 6:30 train. We ended up sitting in the station till 8:30pm for the next train out to Woodstock. Unfortunately on that train there were these 2 mexican dudes and a mexican chick with her kid. Kids running around, all of them on their cell phones, swearing and talking loudly and just generally being assholes (ok, mentioning they are mexican is probably a little racist, but around here young mexicans are pretty much all assholes.). The one dude starts listening to shitty rap music on his cell phones shitty speaker, and then he SINGS ALONG WITH IT.

Needless to say we changed cars. Cool part was the conductor was an awesome big black dude. When he saw us in the new car he was like "Werent you guys in the other car? It was those dudes, wasnt it?" So we explained that and the fact I had just got off a long train ride, was tired as hell, and not in the mood for that kind of bullshit...he said he'd go back and have a talk with them. I smiled. He knew it had to be bad for the 3 of us carrying my luggage to move 2 whole cars.

I got home about 11PM, took a shower, ate a bunch of easter leftovers and then proceeded to sleep till noon today in my nice cozy bed.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #206 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:15:28 PM »
It's cool.  Most young and not so young Mexicans here (the ones who refuse to live in Mexico yet for some reason do nothing but wave the fucking flag around everywhere and go on and on about how much American sucks) are assholes too.  Must be something in the welfare checks.

You want to assume I'm some creepy bearded rapist or something, go for it. I dont care if you have to stand all day.

Best quote ever.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #207 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:31:35 PM »
Well, in those girl's defense, I thought you looked like a child devourer when I first saw you.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #208 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:33:05 PM »
I dont know how to spin that into a joke.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #209 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:38:17 PM »
So it is true?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #210 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:42:08 PM »
No, children are far too stringy and slightly bitter. Not even a good BBQ sauce covers that up.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #211 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:49:57 PM »
Well, looks like it's going to happen tonight.  It'll be up soon as I finish the last couple pages.  Jeez... what I night.  Will update soonish.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #212 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:58:39 PM »
Sweet, I recalled the soul devouring demons on you.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 12:42:27 AM »
Okay, this is really taking forever.  I failed to realize just quite how much work was going to be involved in this...

EDIT - Okay, the last of the files are finally in place.  It's now 3AM because I fucked up something else in trying to do this... but it was a system error, not my fault.  Kind of a long story.  Anyway, it's done and I'm going to get a whopping 3 hours of sleep tonight.  Grand.  But at least it's all done.

Head on over to www.theflyingmonkeyapparatus.com to check it out.  First post of this thread also edited with the address for easy finding in case this one gets lost in the shuffle.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 03:22:25 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
Re: Party of the Year/The OWnet Meeting - NOW WITH PICS!
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 05:33:48 AM »
wheee!!! 

the one positive thing i've had tonight.  *off to read*

That was SO AWESOME!  Thanks very much, Que.

really good stuff!!! It seems like i can piece together more about each of you who went to the meeting.

Now I really want to post my a week in Raisa's life.  after reading that it seems like i've hardly shared anything about me.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 06:02:52 AM by Raisa »
Taken.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 06:50:09 AM »
Just went through all of the pics. That was pretty awesome, well done.

Also my two favorite pictures are the one with Keebler's hair and the one where Idol is holding the menu with the "I am the pimp master" look on his face.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 07:54:39 AM »
Dead rising is so awesome
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 07:56:38 AM »
Also damn that pizza looks so amazing. It looked so rich. I want.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 11:06:02 AM »
The lifesteak vid doesnt seem to want to download for me. Otherwise...awesome.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 12:12:09 PM »
That's awesome. After watching that I am suddenly very hungry.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 12:50:25 PM »
bah! the site with the pics doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 06:24:49 PM »
Pics are working fine for me right now.  Were they down earlier?  My host seems to be run by monkey amputees, so it wouldn't be surprising.

Also, sorry about the vid link.  Fixed now.  And here it is directly if you don't want to go through the song and dance to get to it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »
Man seeing those pics makes me sad that I didn't get to go, having to move ate up more money than I thought it would, but hopefully I will get to go later this year, maybe sometime in the late summer/early fall.  Looks like you guys had a blast though.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 06:44:47 PM »
Awesome pics.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
After Denver we got into the mountains and it was awesome. I sat in the observation car for a good while. I would totally live up in those mountains if I could.

They're overrated.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 07:31:46 PM »
After Sy and Idol had a chance to sleep (which they failed to use for sleeping)

So did I add the sexual connotations to that myself or was it intentional?

Right now Pyro is thinking "Airports are blurry".
I love it when captions assume this instead of saying sorry the pic is blurry or some stupid crap.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 07:38:37 PM »
Awesome pics, makes me sad that I missed it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 08:06:51 PM »
You added the sexual connotations yourself.  Please tell me you aren't naked again.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
Awesome pics -- I wish I could have gone since none of my friends could ever sit down with me and talk video games for more than three minutes.  Either way, cool stuff.

Two notes I must make:

-- Were you at the '05 Boston Marathon Sy?  I'm thinking no, but I have the same shirt lying around here somewhere.

-- Idol's beard is badass.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #229 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 08:30:57 PM »
You added the sexual connotations yourself.  Please tell me you aren't naked again.

Now that's just bad timing.

Idol's beard is badass. Most beards tend to look kind of crappy, but his actually looks good. If you trim it down just slightly it would be at prime lady loving level.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to pack my trimmer and it got a little out of control. It is now back to manageable levels of hairiness.

The video rocked. I especially liked the part with me bitching about those damn building cards.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 10:26:18 PM »
Haha at the Ikaruga pics.  Lots of continues used (and only on the second stage) :P

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 11:14:11 PM »
-- Were you at the '05 Boston Marathon Sy?  I'm thinking no, but I have the same shirt lying around here somewhere.

Oh no. My Dad ran a few marathons in his day and still runs all sorts of races, so he likes to get shirts often. While they were visiting some family in Boston they found a place with lots of old marathon shirts for cheap. Long sleeve t-shirts are my general go-to item of clothing, so I got one.

Nice work Que. You save the rest of us from having to do the work and recount the fun for others.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 11:43:04 PM »
That's what I'm here for.  Apparently.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #234 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 11:46:17 PM »
I was there for morale support last night! So I helped... sort of.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 12:33:06 AM »
If you hadn't been there I probably would have thrown in the towel.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 04:52:34 AM »
video's cool too! heheheh
Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 07:05:48 AM »
Wow.  I've used up 1/5 of my bandwidth (1GB of 5) in the course of like 2 days.  I wasn't quite expecting that.  Fortunately I'm on the cheapest plan and the next one up is only a few bucks more, so no big deal if I upgrade.  And traffic will probably never be like this again once the pics are down given that my other stuff isn't all that interesting.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 11:26:49 AM »
i am totally down for doing this yearly. next time i can probably stay as long as Idol too. It was just relaxing and i love the bay area.

also, pizza and beer on me next time also!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »
yay - pics are working now. that was totally awesome. videogames, boardgames, miniture painting and fried food - what a complete geekfest! i wish i could of been there.