Author Topic: Bioshock and Civ Franchises could both have MMO Games, Take-Two thinks...  (Read 1288 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Bioshock and Civ Franchises could both have MMO Games, Take-Two thinks...
« on: Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
Oh, geez....

Another game franchise that publishers/dev's are thinking already, "Hmmm....let's turn this franchise into a MMOG!"

Take-Two is thinking of turning both the Civ and Bioshock series into MMOG's, possibly.

BioShock, Civ MMOGs? [March 26, 2008, 5:55 pm ET] - 5 Comments

The Bank of America SmidCap Conference, always a hotbed of gaming news (thanks FiringSquad), has a series of slides from a presentation by Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick on EA's attempt to purchase Take-Two. Included along the way is a slide showing they feel BioShock and the Civilization franchises could each spawn MMOGs, and that they also can see the value in pursuing a film adaptation of BioShock.

A Bioshock MMO...well, if that was to be done, I guess that would probably have to take place when Rapture was actually crowded w/ people -- that's if it's going to actually be in Rapture, of course.

It could take place outside of Rapture, after the original Bioshock's events, I'd guess...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Bioshock and Civ Franchises could both have MMO Games, Take-Two thinks...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 05:31:27 PM »
WTF this is getting ridiculous.  How many MMOs can their be?  Sure, everyone wants to be the next WoW or EQ, but look how many failures there have been for every success.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »
WTF this is getting ridiculous.  How many MMOs can their be?
I think it's a new written rule that if you make a great SP game, dev's/publishers think they should have a MMO spin-off!!!

Sure, everyone wants to be the next WoW or EQ, but look how many failures there have been for every success.

Yup, from Matrix Online to Uru Live (which failed TWICE!).

You know what would be a nice change of pace?
Some big-name MMO gets a SP-Only spin-off game. :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty retarded but I guess the money is there.  I kind of wonder if a lot of those failures actually ended up getting out of the red.  These guys must be on to something.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 27, 2008, 03:32:25 AM »
Fuck.

Bioshock MMO? That's stupid, but OK. A Civ MMO is totally ridiculous though.

Unfortunately with piracy so rampant on the PC, it seems that MMOs are the direction that all these established franchises want to take. I doubt they mean MMO in the traditional sense.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 27, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »
Fuck.

Bioshock MMO? That's stupid, but OK. A Civ MMO is totally ridiculous though.

Unfortunately with piracy so rampant on the PC, it seems that MMOs are the direction that all these established franchises want to take. I doubt they mean MMO in the traditional sense.

MMO's are a good way to protect your game from pirates, though -- since the game would basically be hooked to one account of yours.