Author Topic: Smartphone Megathread. It's the shit.  (Read 140704 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: I have a new addiction
« Reply #240 on: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »
7.0.7008.0 is not the copy-and-past update.  It's an update that supposedly makes the update process work better.  It's the first update to WP7.

Someone at work told me that if she didn't get NoDo, she isn't going to get Mango either.  True or false?

I've read conflicting things.  I feel like I saw somewhere that NoDo was a disaster and they pulled it.  I also saw lots of people saying they were still on 7.0.7008.0.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 04:43:46 PM by scottws »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #241 on: Friday, October 07, 2011, 01:03:31 AM »
NoDo apparently had some flaws with some devices and so it was pulled. It was readily available to devs though.

I can't remember what the copy/paste version number was but I know I didn't get the NoDo update and jumped right up to Mango v7.1 (7720).

The Windows Phone 7 updates are meant to be universal with all devices directly from Microsoft, without having to wait for the manufacturer to release a firmware update, but I guess there are a few exceptions.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, October 08, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »
Updates are one of the real weaknesses with Android (and it sounds like it may be the case with Windows Phone 7 as well).  Google has tried to address this to a certain point by making manufacturers agree to support devices with updates for 18 months after release....which helps, but doesn't solve the slow roll out problem. 

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, October 08, 2011, 04:55:35 PM »
The slow roll out problem with Android is caused by both the manufacturers and the carriers.  Even if the manufacturers support the update and make the latest update available, the wait for the carrier to release it tends to be excessively lengthy as well (sometimes a week to well over six months). 

One solution is not to rely on the official manufacturer builds.  Root and unlock the bootloader so you can load custom firmware on it (or the generic one released by the manufacturer, non-carrier specific version) and that helps by removing one of the roadblocks.  That said, there does tend to be some issues related to custom firmware and not everything on the phone will work perfectly.

It's one of the problems with Android.  The lack of control and the ability to fully customize the OS can be seen as both a benefit (to the people who want to spend their time customizing their phone) or a drawback (slow and buggy releases, etc.)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, October 09, 2011, 06:45:59 AM »
I can vouch for the Android update situation being a clusterfuck.  After being annoyed that I was still on Froyo well after Gingerbread was released, I installed CyanogenMod 7.1.0 RC1.  I liked it a lot, but it was completely unstable.  I was getting application crashes and total lockups very often.  Then I read that HTC and Verizon were going to finally release a Gingerbread update for my Incredible, so I went back to the stock ROM.

But I'm still on Froyo.  They have not released a fixed update and at this point I'm not sure they will.  The phone is almost two years old.

That's what pisses me off about the state of the Android market.  Carriers and manufacturers are using the OS updates as reasons to get a new phone by severely delaying the updates or not releasing them at all.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #245 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
Yea, what Scottws said.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
iOS5 is out today.  The download is terribly slow.  It's been going for about 2 hours and it's still got another hour remaining.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2011, 10:20:13 PM »
It actually sounds like a pretty sweet update.  Notifications finally done right.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #248 on: Saturday, October 22, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »
Good read on some of the cooler features of Android 4 "Ice Cream Sandwich":

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/android-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich-everything-you-need-to-know-954464

Google Samsung Nexus Galaxy (or whatever it is called), here I come!

Btw, someone should change this thread title to be make it more obvious that it is about smartphones in case we get a visitor or something.  Hey, you never know.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Smartphone Megathread. It's the shit.
« Reply #249 on: Saturday, October 22, 2011, 11:23:04 AM »
Done.  And ICS looks fucking sweet.  I doubt my Desire Z will be getting it (although, it should be able to run unofficial roms of it since it's already on GB with Sense, so hardware shouldn't be an issue), but my next phone sure as hell will.  I just hope that there's something with a QWERTY rocking it by net summer.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #250 on: Saturday, October 22, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
I really like the changes related to the spell checker and the voice input.  For the voice input, I like how you can easily change words after the dictation and for the spell checker I like how it just underlines misspelled words and allows you to fix them after rather than making you worry about them as you type.  I hate when it changes an intentionally misspelled word (or just a word it doesn't know) and you end up fighting the interface to get the results you want.

Regarding visitors, I just did a Google search for our site and the only stuff that comes up is links to the threads in WAP format.  Not sure why that is, but I think I heard that SMF's URL format is not search engine friendly.

Wonder if that's been improved in SMF 2, which has been released BTW (*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*).
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 22, 2011, 06:13:35 PM by scottws »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #251 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 07:25:44 AM »
I've got a couple questions for anyone that might know, though not all specific to smart phones.

My family wants to add me to their Verizon plan so they can cut off the land line, and adding a phone would only be $10/mo more. BUT... they want to give me my mother's old phone, which is a few year old pink flip phone. (the interface confuses her)

So if I want to switch to another phone (or if my mother did, for that matter), is there a way to do that without signing a new contract? Moving contacts and such over isn't an issue, just getting the new phone setup to work on that number. I know if you were to go to a Verizon store and tell them you want a new phone, they'd make you sign a new contract, extending the length of your plan. Is that mandatory, or just a salesman pressure tactic to keep you signed up? What if I go out and buy a phone they support, but not from them? (like buying an iPhone at an Apple store, then wanting to use it with an existing Verizon plan)

Similarly, I've heard Verizon requires a data plan with smart phones. Is this on a per phone basis? Maybe a per account basis? My father's phone is an iPhone, and he already has a data plan. I'm not that interested in having one if I do go with a smartphone.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #252 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
You can get a new phone whenever you want, and you don't have to sign a new contract to use it.  But there are a few things to keep in mind:

• The phone has to be a Verizon or unlocked CDMA phone.
  • For a new phone, you will pay the unsubsidized price.  That's the big number.  For a higher-end smartphone you can expect to pay $400-750 (for instance the HTC Droid Incredible 2 is $510 while the new HTC Rezound and Motorola Droid RAZR are $710).

Verizon used to have a "new every 2" upgrade plan where you could get a new phone every two years at the subsidized price, but they did away with it.  Even if they didn't, I'm not sure whether it restarted your contract or not.  Now that upgrade plan is gone, I have no idea how upgrades work.  I don't know if you are basically screwed and have to go unsubsidized, can upgrade but have to renew, or basically have to switch carriers to get a subsidized phone.  You'd want to ask someone at the carrier about that.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Verizon requires a data plan.  As far as limiting the data to certain phones on a Verizon account, I'm pretty sure you can do that.  For voice you can get family plans where your family has a pool of minutes but I don't think there is anything like that for data with Verizon.

Regarding the iPhone, I have no idea about how you get one or where you get one.  I'm guessing Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint have them in their stores along with Apple, but I don't know what carrier you get if you get one from the Apple store.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #253 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »
The data will be the big factor probably. I was looking at their site, and Verizon's cheapest data plan is 2GB for $30/mo. If getting a smartphone forces me into a data plan, I won't be upgrading to one.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
I can't imagine having a smartphone without a data plan.  There would be no point IMO.

Yeah, Verizon is the most expensive carrier.  Their service is really good, but wow do you pay for it.  Sprint and T-Mobile are the cheapest.  I'd like to go with either one, but the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is coming out on Verizon and I really want that phone.  Supposedly it's supposed to come to other carriers eventually, but nothing has been announced.  I just don't know how long I can hold out because I'm still using a phone and service from my previous employer, which I left almost three months ago.  Just a matter of time before they turn off service.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 12:40:43 PM »
I guess I'd want the smartphone to mess with games and stuff, and just transfer things to it while at home. I really don't want to make a $30/mo commitment right now.

Also, Verizon is my only choice right now. First, because I'm being added to my family's existing plan. Second, because it's the only provider that has coverage where I live, and I'm going to be using this as my only phone. (not sure exactly how much money will be saved by adding a $10/mo phone to the plan and dropping the land line, but it can't be much)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #256 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
If I were you I would check out the iPod Touch if you want to mess with the iOS app games and stuff and that's it. You can do any browsing or app downloads you want as long as you have a wireless connection.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 01:45:55 PM »
Maybe you can use a smartphone on a plan without data.  I just looked at the settings in my HTC Droid Incredible and I have the ability to turn mobile data (3G) off but leave Wi-Fi on and it works like you would expect:  data works when connected to a wi-fi access point but not the cellular network.  I'm not sure if the iPhone has similar settings.

That said, just because the functionality exists in the OS and on the hardware does not mean that Verizon will allow it.

Edit:  Just looked and basically every carrier requires a data plan if you attach a smartphone to the line.  Their reasoning for it is that far too many people signed up for voice-only plans, used mobile data on their phone, incurred the large cost associated with the per MB fees, and then refused to pay.  I suppose they could implement some sort of data blocking mechanism for users without data plans, but they'd rather try to collect the money I guess.  Or give a somewhat valid excuse for forcing data plans.

It's kind of the same as texting.  I'd rather text with something like Google Voice, which is free over the data network.  But if someone sends my real phone number a text, I don't want to be charged $0.25 every time that happens and if you try to get a pay-per-text plan you can't call the carrier and tell them you don't want to be able to send or receive texts.  They just won't do it.

It's basically a scam, but it is what it is.  These sorts of industry practices is exactly why I hope the AT&T and T-Mobile merger never goes through, because crazy prices and requirements will just get worse.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 01:58:45 PM »
It seems like the easiest solution for what I'm looking at, would be a shared data plan across multiple devices, and then turn off my data in the OS. (since my father's phone has data already) Verizon doesn't offer shared data plans yet, but I found a news article somewhere earlier saying that they were considering it.

I'll probably just end up sticking with the pink basic phone I'll be getting as a hand-me-down for now. I could get something better (even if not a smartphone) for cheap or free, but it might not be worth messing with until I've got the money to get what I really want.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »
Verizon keeps delaying the Galaxy Nexus in the U.S.  It's pissing me off.  They are giving it zero advertising support as well, but I'm guessing that's because HTC and Motorola have been more forthcoming with installing Verizon's crapware on their phones.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011, 09:55:58 PM »
I posted this at the old temp board, but apparently everyone moved again?  Thanks for the tip pyro.

I was mere inches away from winning a Galaxy Nexus today. Howardforums.com (if you ever need to know anything about a phone or carrier, go there. Also, if you're about to renegotiate a contract) had a contest based on a question: What new features would you be interested in Bell (my sp) implementing. Ten best answers are selected and put into a draw and the winner is randomly pulled to receive a Galaxy Nexus. I made the top ten and the message I was sent stated that if it wasn't random it would have been between me and some other guy, leaning towards my answer. Damn it. So, I got a really small t-shirt as a prize.

But seriously, people are retarded. The thread this was in was pretty much fourteen pages of "no contracts!!!" and "Lower prices!!!!". C'mon you morons, this isn't a vote for which feature is going to be implemented: You're wasting your time. Also, about 600 clowns before you said the exact same thing.

Anyways, ever since my brush with almost getting free shit, my Desire Z is feeling slow (although I still love the physical keyboard).  I think I may buy out my contract pretty soon, switch over to my mom's corporate account (which is cheap as hell as it's the block plan for all the medical doctors and medical administrators in the province) and upgrade to something with ICS ....as soon as more new phones are coming out with it.  I'd kinda like something more compact than the Galaxy Nexus and ideally with a qwerty, but I'm not going to hold my breath here.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #261 on: Monday, December 12, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »
No kidding.  I'm not sure why, but the trend with Android devices is taller and taller and wider and wider.  The Galaxy Nexus is huge, but I still want it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #262 on: Monday, December 12, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
Have you seen the T-mobile/Telus variant of the Galaxy S2?  It has a 4.5 inch screen.  A girl I know whipped it out and it's like a tiny tablet, although she loved it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 06:17:25 AM »
The Galaxy Nexus is 4.65", but part of that is the buttons since the standard Android hardware buttons are on the way out and aren't present on this device.  Still... massive.

http://phone-size.com/

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #264 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 08:02:35 AM »
The Galaxy Nexus is 4.65", but part of that is the buttons since the standard Android hardware buttons are on the way out and aren't present on this device.  Still... massive.

http://phone-size.com/
That site is pretty sweet! If you enter your correct screen size at the top the phone images adjust to actual size! Awesome.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #265 on: Friday, December 16, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
I can upgrade my phone in a few months. I was hoping the new BBX Blackberrys would be out by then but since they're now supposed to come out at the end of 2012, I'm looking to Windows Phone 7. Anyone play with the new Nokia phones?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #266 on: Saturday, December 17, 2011, 07:29:45 AM »
the lumia 800 is pretty nice. great screen - other than that it's much the same as any other windows 7 phone.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #267 on: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »
Got the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  Loving it so far.  As a 1 year Android Froyo and Gingerbread user, Ice Cream Sandwich is familiar but there are some nice updates.  Overall the basic look and functionality is mostly unchanged, but you can tell Google is pulling Android away from being overly similar to iOS visually (I can't speak for what future ICS phones will look like that run Motoblur, Touchwiz, or Sense).  It seems simpler in a way, like it was inspired by Tron or lasers.

One welcome change is how folders work.  I never used them before because they were clumsy and you could not rearrange them, but they are really easy to use now.

Loving the phone overall.  It is a lot bigger than my Incredible was, but I am glad it isn't as wide as a Droid RAZR.  That thing just does not sit comfortably in the hand.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #268 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
Awesome.  How's the battery life on it?  And do you find it a bit big to fit in a pocket?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #269 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »
The battery life is an improvement over my Incredible, but that isn't saying much because battery life on that thing was really bad. I havent really pushed the battery too hard, so I can't really make a good judgement yet.

It is a big phone. I believe it is the tallest out there but it isnt as wide as the Droid RAZR, which I found way too wide and uncomfortable in the hand.  It fits in my front pocket but it isn't comfortable in the tighter jeans.  I usually keep it in my back pocket now.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #270 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 09:46:11 AM »
Attn Canadians. Fantastic 72 hour sale by Telus: http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/promotions/sale72.shtml?INTCMP=HomeBANC472HourSale

HTC Surround 7
HTC Desire
LG Optimus 7
Blackberry 9800

All for $0 on a one year contract.

Lg Optimus 7 has now been ordered. I was planning on waiting for the Lumia 800 or 900 but I can't say no to a one-year contract at $0.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #271 on: Monday, January 30, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »
No, you can't say no to that at all.  A similar sale Bell had (HTC Desire Z/G2 for $0 on 1-year) caused me to switch over from Telus last year. A one year contract with a free phone is seriously nothing to scoff at. I may make the jump back onto a Telus corporate plan through a family member soon, but I kind of like the way this trend is going as they start to push smartphones harder.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #272 on: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »
Update: Did not get the phone. Telus won't ship it to me until they can verify my identity on the phone number associated with my credit card. All of my billing information is associated with my parent's house and the next time I'll be there is in April. I explained all this to them and asked if there was any other way I could verify my identity and they basically said no and that I have to wait until April before they ship it. So order cancelled.

Congratulations Telus on failing to take my money for no reason at all.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #273 on: Sunday, February 19, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »
I somehow missed that before.  How retarded.

On to a very important question:  What do you guys use, app-wise, to play music on your Android phones? My old Nano just took a spin in the wash, and while it looks like it's going to recover, the screen is severely washed out (to the point of not being able to navigate menus.  I cracked it open, and it's the actual LCD that has the issue, not condensation inside the unit).  I use it primarily for working out/tracking runs with Nike+, but I'll probably just use my phone and Run-tracker or something like that to cover it in the meantime.

Any good suggestions?  Poweramp?  Winamp?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #274 on: Sunday, February 19, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »
Poweramp was awesome.  I'm not sure how it is now though since I've been on an iPhone for the last 6 months.  Get the trial version and test it for yourself.

Winamp was also a good free music player, but it was kind of ugly and the feature set wasn't great/buggy.  Again, it's been a while since I've used it so if you don't feel like paying money go for it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #275 on: Sunday, February 19, 2012, 11:04:17 PM »
I had Winamp on my phone already, and remember why I wasn't a huge fain.  Ugly ui.  Poweramp is quite a bit better than when I last used it a year or so ago, so I'll be sticking with that. If this run tracking works out well, I'll probably buy the full version and go with that instead of replacing the iPod.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #276 on: Monday, February 20, 2012, 04:27:58 AM »
yeah, i use power amp - love it. the level of control that app gives you is unsurpassed, and one of the reasons why i'm such a fan of android's flexibility.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #277 on: Monday, February 20, 2012, 07:32:23 AM »
I bought PowerAmp a long time ago. It is great and totally woth the price. Nothing else comes close.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #278 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 08:02:49 AM »
Well, Poweramp is the shit, thanks.  It actually seems to improve sound quality at default settings as well....which is weird.  I had a little bit of an adjustment as I made a loyalist ,loaded it and started to run only to find out that it was shuffling to songs outside of the playlist, but I'll look into that - probably just a different setting than I'm used to from iPods.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering:  Track my Run is way waaay more accurate than Nike+ (I think).  At least the old school foot sensor one - for me.  Nike+ was reporting my runs as about 15% shorter distance wise than they actually are - which I had suspected but now have confirmed.  Dramatic effect on my recorded pace.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #279 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
Oh thanks for that gpw, I have been using Nike+ and I have been wondering that myself and it does feel like its been tracking a little off, shorter like yours, though I'm not using the sensor. I may try Runkeeper or this Track my Run if its on iOS.