Author Topic: Kickstarter thread  (Read 48687 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Kickstarter thread
« Reply #200 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
If I had backed that I'd be kinda pissed.

Same here.

If the Steam-version can actually be run w/out the Steam-client going like some games on Steam, Steam-version won't be so bad, though...

EDIT:
They really should find a way to get updates to their DRM-FREE crowd - even if they issue patches later and whatnot for DRM-FREE version.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #201 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:04:56 PM »
It's not even just the Steam thing, it's almost a bait-and-switch. The original Kickstarter promised a DRM-free game and at that time Steam was a "maybe". While they are technically fulfilling the reward of a DRM-free game it feels rather scummy to have left out "Oh by the way the DRM-free version won't be receiving future updates or DLC. For that you need Steam." Pretty sure a fair number of backers would have chosen NOT to back if that was in the original pitch. But it wasn't, it's only now after the developers collected all the money that that tidbit of info has come out.

The DRM-free copy is what people backed, and now it is the lesser version. According to comments I've seen the developer is putting together a FAQ that will be posted in a day or two to clear some things up, like will the DRM-free version support mods still and whether the DRM-free version will even be sold from here on out (the official preorder page only mentions Steam, so the DRM-free version may be a backer exclusive...which also wasn't mentioned or clarified in the original pitch). We'll see what happens.

Dunno why they aren't going with GOG. They are DRM-free and support DLC sales so whats the problem? The mod community can handle itself with the Nexus sites and such.

-----

Another point I've seen from certain backers is the idea that this is supposed to be different from just a preorder. They weren't just giving money to get a copy, they were giving money to help develop a game that others could also buy. So when the devs said the game would be DRM-free backers assumed that meant for everyone including non-backers. When the stretch goal for the 2nd city was put up and funded there was no mention that it was actually DLC and that backers would get it free while everyone else would pay extra. Many assumed that the stretch goal was to raise the money to make the game better in general, for everyone.

I think this is an interesting case for Kickstarter projects in general. The developers haven't technically done anything wrong and the backers will be getting what was explicitly stated, but it seems they were still mislead. It's like the genie in the magic lamp that technically grants your wish but it's not really what you asked for.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #202 on: Thursday, April 11, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
How come I didn't hear about this until now? Jeremy Soule KS for a new album! Only 60-ish hours left!

"Some darker moments in The Northerner will reflect the night sky and the ancient light that has always caressed our eyes. Since my childhood, I have been intensely interested in astronomy. Structures in the symphony will reflect the constellations. I will leave it to the musicologists to unearth where these secrets have been buried within the score." - Jeremy Soule

$15 gets you an autographed CD, $33 gets you 3 of them! Que, I know you're interested.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #203 on: Thursday, April 11, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »
I most definitely am.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #204 on: Friday, April 12, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
That Shadowrun KS attempted to clarify. Short version: Backers get both DRM-free and Steam version. The DRM-free version will be updated alongside the Steam one for things like bug fixes. Future DLC past Berlin will require the Steam version. It also appears if you aren't already a backer or purchase a preorder through the site before now, the DRM-fee version is not for sale. You can mod and use mods on the DRM-free version, however if a mod makes use of some future DLC resource then it will not work on the DRM-free copy.

But then theres this:
-We said that post-Berlin Campaign DLC would only be available on Steam but we never said why. We regret the omission. The reason is that our license to develop Shadowrun Returns actually requires that the game and its DLC be distributed under DRM. This didn’t come up earlier because the situation was complicated by the number of parties involved in the license and because the process was “ongoing”. Ultimately, we were able to successfully negotiate an exception with Microsoft for us to provide our Backers with a DRM-free version of the Kickstarter rewards (specifically the game and the Berlin Campaign) but that exception does not extend to non-reward DLC. So unfortunately, we cannot sell or give away DRM-free versions of the game or DLC on stores like GoG, and that’s why any future Shadowrun Returns DLC will only be available for purchase on Steam.
That sure looks like some shit that was not mentioned in the original pitch. There was a whole lot of talk about DRM-free, but in reality they had to fight just to get it that way for backers? Thats pretty messed up.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #205 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
Dog Sled Saga has a really nice pitch video. If you're fast you can get in on a copy of the game for $3, but its only $5 regularly.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #206 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 07:47:46 PM »
I think i have to back The Realm. It's so beautiful.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #207 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »
Both of those look nice. I'd really like to support DSS just because who doesn't want to help out two sincere-looking people with such a cute project? Also dogs!

The Realm does look gorgeous too.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #208 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 06:24:25 AM »
Wow, Realm looks gorgeous!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #209 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 08:17:11 PM »
So Stonehearth looks really cool, though I bet Blizzard has a chat with them about that name. Apparently these are the guys that wrote the GGPO netcode that powers a lot of online fighting games now.

Looks cool and I hope it makes it...and in fact I would be really surprised if it doesn't. I probably won't back it just because it seems like something that will hit its goal easily and I can just get it later on. Rather save the money for something like The Realm since that seems like it might struggle a bit. Kickstarter strategy!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, May 05, 2013, 09:49:11 PM »
Probably won't be a ton of interest here but I'm posting it anyway. Torchbearer is a new tabletop pen and paper RPG by Luke Crane, who designed the Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard RPGs. Mouse Guard is pretty awesome and a sort of streamlined version of Burning Wheel, and now Torchbearer is taking Mouse Guard and adding some complexity to it. It sounds pretty awesome.

The pitch video kinda sucks, but have a listen to PAX 12 panel with Luke Crane where he talks about old school D&D and kind of what is missing in newer editions/games. Skip to 31 minutes in if you don't want to hear the whole thing, he tells a great story about a game he ran. He also comes up with the best term for player characters: weird gold bag carrying murder hobos. But the story he tells I think gives an idea of what hes trying to capture in Torchbearer.

$15 for the PDF, $35 for the hardcover book. I would loooove a copy of the book, but funds are a little tight. Though they are WAY exceeding their goal so I imagine they are going to make a whole bunch of copies to sell.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
Penny Arcade can go fuck itself for abusing its fanbase in this cash grab.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »
Again? I wasn't aware PA was hurting for money, especially after their last Kickstarter made them some and did almost nothing to get rid of ads like they promised.

In nicer news, something I've been watching is Chasm.

It's described as a procedural Metroidvania, but I think in reality it's more like a side scrolling dungeon crawler. It's set up like Torchlight or Diablo with a village above several levels of randomly generated dungeons with loot.

This has already been funded and has a few days left, but it's only over by a relatively small margin leaving most of the interesting stretch goals untouched. In any case, the nicest thing so far is that they put out a 3 level demo to sell the game. It's worth playing and now that the game should be coming I'm fairly excited. There's a nice style here and I can dig what they're doing.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 07:14:36 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 06:29:22 PM »
I'm looking forward to Chasm when its complete. Happy it made it.

Coup is in its last 2 days. They gave a recap on what you get at the $15 level with all the stretch goals:
These are all the great items that are being included in the rewards for your $15 Coup pledge (US Shipping):
* Coup - the star of Essen 2012. This is the premier bluffing & deduction game for 2-6 players designed by Rikki Tahta & La Mame games
* Beautiful artwork in "The Resistance Universe" by Jarek Nocon
* Inquistor Promo - an alternative role not available in the retail game
* Two complete sets of exclusive Alternative Art promos - enough to play the game with different art on every card, or play up to 10 players. Not included in the retail game.
* Special, limited edition box art and dual sided player aids/single rulebook for the Inquisitor role. Not available in the retail game.
* Foil coin upgrade - the best looking chipboard coins we have seen!
* Resistance Promo - Merlin & Assassin cards for your copy of The Resistance
* Resistance Promo - Inquisitor token (replicates the Lady of the Lake role from The Resistance: Avalon)
* Avalon Fixes - Replace your "Unkown" cards!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #214 on: Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 07:45:21 PM »
http://www.mobygames.com/game/chasm-the-rift

Aw man. You brought back happy memories.

Also, this other Chasm looks spectacular. I'm tempted to contribute.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #215 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 02:23:48 PM »
While it's true that the stated goal should invalidate the project, all the donation/reward tiers reference a tangible product.  I don't know.  My guess is that they could eliminate the basic problem by rewording the goal.

I'm thinking mom, being an entrepreneurial type, is driving this every step of the way.  Nothing wrong with that, even if she can fund the whole thing herself without breaking a sweat.  It helps her kid learn some ropes, which is a hell of a lot more valuable than money.

Quote from: Cliff Bleszinski
Here's the thing about crowdsourcing and Kickstarter, and there was all this [hoopla]. I've mentioned this before, but I enjoy reiterating because it's important to me. There was this controversial thing where there was a woman who was allegedly a millionaire or multi-millionaire, and she wanted to kick-start some money for her nine-year-old daughter for her to do her own video game and things like that. And the internet of course attacks her, and there was probably some weird misogynistic, you know, purpose behind it. "How dare she ask for crowdfunding money? She's already a millionaire." And yet at the same time, nobody gets mad at Richard Garriott when he asked for a million dollars to do an Ultima-style game when he's the guy who spent $30 million to go to space. And I love Richard, and I think he's brilliant and he's one of my development heroes, but at the same time, people don't recognize Kickstarter is only one-third about the money.

It's also about the community; you get it instantly built and the PR marketing you get. You have "boom." People invested their money, and now they care.

A little late, but consider the source.  :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #216 on: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 07:06:38 PM »
To be fair, I though Richard Garriotts was dumb too (and other people called him out on it) :P I'm not mad about it, people are gonna throw money at what they want to throw money at. I just don't think you can say that and just ignore some of the questionable "projects" out there.

Anyway, Coup finished up! I'm kind of excited to see my super awesome Kickstarted exclusive edition of the game. First time I get a physical item! I'll post pics when it comes in.

Update on The Realm: probably not going to make it. I am sad panda. Maybe they will get a push near the end but they don't have that long left and a looong way to go to that goal.

Sled Dog Saga hit its goal and then some so it should be cool to see what comes of that.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #217 on: Saturday, May 25, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »
Woo, Dog Sled Saga just finished up! Should be cool to see the finished product.

Sadly The Realm didn't hit its goal. They have stated they will work on the game to have some more in-game footage and then figure out how to run a US-based Kickstarter. UK projects have a much harder time hitting their goals because of the different payment method required. When its through Amazon people just click through and away it goes. UK ones have to type in their card into to KS and most people don't. Well I hope they work it out and the second go around they can hit their goal.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »
Hey, you guys remember The Neverhood? Well good news...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
Awesome sauce!

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »

Hell yes!  Definitely backing this one.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #221 on: Thursday, May 30, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
Double Fine is at it again with Massive Chalice! A turn based fantasy strategy game.

If turn-based tactics and feudal fantasy had a lovechild, and that offspring founded a mighty century-spanning dynasty, it would be MASSIVE CHALICE.

With your help, MASSIVE CHALICE will become a reality—forged by Double Fine with our 3D in-house Buddha Engine and unleashed on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

We're inspired by classic tactical strategy games like X-COM, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem, as well as Game of Thrones’ array of noble families. With these influences in mind we’re creating an epic, replayable turn-based tactics game where you train generations of heroes to repel a demonic invasion.
2PP is back to document the development (well, they simply havent ever left DF). Apparently the documentary will be open to everyone, but the $50 backers will get HD downloads. $20 is the level to get yourself the game.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #222 on: Thursday, May 30, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
It actually sounds like it's taking some inspiration from Infinity Blade as well. I thought the idea of a battle spanning multiple generation could be interesting if it was expanded out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #223 on: Thursday, May 30, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
Fuck, that sounds fantastic.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #224 on: Thursday, May 30, 2013, 11:18:39 PM »
A Hat in Time is a modern take on the old 3D platformers that were so prevalent on the N64. They already blew past their goal. Seems they are focusing on getting on Steam and then stuff like GOG will come later...well, I'm just going to wait till later then. Looks cool, though.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #225 on: Monday, June 17, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Brad Muir took some pics with backers at E3 last week. And well...seisure warning.

Frontiers looks cool. Games about exploring get a thumbs up from me.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #226 on: Monday, June 17, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »
A Hat in Time is a modern take on the old 3D platformers that were so prevalent on the N64. They already blew past their goal. Seems they are focusing on getting on Steam and then stuff like GOG will come later...well, I'm just going to wait till later then. Looks cool, though.

This looks amazing.  If you couldn't tell; I was super let down with the direction Nintendo has taken with their new 3d Mario game.  I love these types of platformers.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, September 01, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #229 on: Thursday, September 05, 2013, 12:21:44 AM »
The Cross Plane brings Wii U GamePad-like mirroring to any game system with HDMI

Interesting, though almost spitting in the eye of Nintendo :P

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #230 on: Thursday, September 05, 2013, 06:11:09 AM »
Looks like Ghost Song was funded. Idol showed me this a few days ago and it's a pretty straightforward riff on Super Metroid. Looks very nice and all that. They hit all their (worthwhile) stretch goals too so now we can just look forward to it shipping next year.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #231 on: Thursday, September 05, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
Man, wish I'd seen that. Looks really nice.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #232 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
I need to apologize to your wallets.

Hyper Light Drifter

I'm so so sorry.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #233 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
Holy shit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #234 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »
"the best parts of A Link to the Past and Diablo". I just came a little.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #235 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 11:24:51 PM »
I need to apologize to your wallets.

Hyper Light Drifter

I'm so so sorry.
That looks amazing. I will go now. I must ponder many things in life.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #237 on: Monday, October 07, 2013, 08:18:56 PM »
Rimworld already went past its goal, and for good reason. It looks really cool, like Dwarf Fortress mixed with Prison Architect.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 05:58:21 AM »
Love the idea. I wish it didn't look EXACTLY LIKE Prison Architect.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 06:41:04 AM »
They do mention the art is temporary. Dude can't draw so doing a PA style was something easy for the pitch. They plan on hiring an actual artist with the money to come up with their own style.