Author Topic: John Rambo  (Read 7557 times)

Offline PyroMenace

John Rambo
« on: Friday, July 13, 2007, 01:27:39 AM »
First there was Rocky Balboa, which Stallone directed. Now comes John Rambo, the 4th rambo movie which stallone is also heading. At first I could care less, but after seeing Rocky Balboa and being pleasantly surprised at how good it was, Im really looking forward to this, especially after seeing the trailer. It seems like Stallone is finishing off is own movie series', and doing a good job of it so far, I find that rather badass.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 07, 2008, 09:47:13 AM by PyroMenace »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: John Rambo
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 13, 2007, 01:38:07 AM »
If these are actually good, then that is rather badass.  I'm curious now.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 13, 2007, 09:15:18 PM »
Wow, that was pretty cool. The guy in the jeep...ouch. That looked so realistic. I'm also curious.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 13, 2007, 10:07:34 PM »
I wasn't interested in this movie until I saw the awesome trailer for it a couple of weeks ago.  I plan on seeing this with a group of friends, maybe drinking will be involved.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 14, 2007, 02:00:39 AM »
Holy hell. That was one hell of a trailer.

You know, they just don't make movies like that anymore. It's cool to see Stallone bringing the tradition back. Granted, it's only really been a few years since a movie like this, but entertainment moves so fast it feels like it's been ages.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 14, 2007, 03:02:01 PM »
Well, hot damn....that's a freakin' trailer and a ½!

After seeing what Stallone did w/ Rocky Balboa (Rocky 6) and now just seeing the John Rambo trailer, it looks like Stallone is bringing back the franchises...and thankfully, not doing some half-assed half-baked sequel to these franchises just to only make a lot of $$$, either!

Rocky Balboa was a pretty good ending to the Rocky series -- and it looks like John Rambo might be on its way to doing the same! So yeah -- let's hope John Rambo kicks some serious ass!

So, hmmm...are there any other Stallone series of films that Stallone gonna resurrect and finish off?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 14, 2007, 10:16:41 PM »
Well if he could get Kurt Russel back in on some action, I would love to see what he could do with another Tango & Cash movie.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 09:36:35 AM »
Well if he could get Kurt Russel back in on some action, I would love to see what he could do with another Tango & Cash movie.

Yeah, I liked Tango & Cash, as well.

Speaking of Kurt Russell, he was awesome in Grindhouse's "Death Proof".

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 03:33:07 PM »
Sweet trailer, why were the subtitles so crappy?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 06:18:06 PM »
Sweet trailer, why were the subtitles so crappy?

I'm guessing someone probably got the official Cannes trailer and edited it and added the subs themselves???

Wouldn't be hard to do w/ say Nero 7 Ultra, right?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 06:37:06 PM »
Yeah. Supposedly this trailer wasn't really meant to get out to the general public. However, the reaction has been so good that I'm guessing they don't care that it got out now.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Yeah, that trailer was amazingly violent for a trailer.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Monday, July 16, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »
Wow Stallone is really showing his age.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 07:38:04 PM »
Wow Stallone is really showing his age.

It is a little odd to start seeing the action heroes from our youth turning into old men.  Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, and Stalone all come to mind.  I wonder who is supposed to inherit the titles.  Vin Diesel? The kid from Transformers? Matt Damon? Leo Dicaprio?  meh.  Somehow all of them seem second best.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:28:11 PM »
Right there there seems to be something of an obsession with showing our old heroes as old men at the end of the ropes, in some fashion or another. It's everywhere from this to Metal Gear. I'd guess it just has something to do with the notion that they don't make them like they used to. Maybe at some level, it shows a true dissatisfaction with famous people of our time. Heroes are supposed to reflect them and the current crop just feels phony for the most part.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:50:41 PM »
I think Sy makes a very interesting point.  That's exactly what I was thinking, but it really made me realize it when he said it.  We just don't have any great heroes these days.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 02:38:21 PM »
I'm so glad my sending you the trailer to rambo 4 convinced you to go buy the first three and watch them.

Now you're a man!  A man, man, man
Now you're a man!  A manly man man
Now you're a man!  M A N man man man man maaaaaaaan
Now you're a man!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #17 on: Monday, January 07, 2008, 09:41:23 AM »
Well the movie comes out at the end of this month. The thing thats worrying me is that the new trailers look horrible, theres spots that are re-voiced for the worst and this whole rock music shit... ugh. I was really pumped at the first trailer... and now Im getting concerned. We'll see I guess.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Monday, January 07, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »
Yeah, they picked one of the worst songs in the last 10 years for the TV spots.  Jeezus.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 05:44:47 PM »
What's up w/ the Drowning Pool song "Bodies" over the new trailer?!?!  :o
Don't care for that trailer at all.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 10:13:46 PM »
The band's name is Drowning Pool? That's pretty wrong.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »
The band's name is Drowning Pool? That's pretty wrong.

You wanna know what else is wrong?  The lead singer died a little while after the release of the song.
But, I just don't have any urge to see this movie.  I could barely hold a snigger in when I saw the trailer.  It just seems ridiculous to me, somehow.
Adding to that are rumours that Stallone wants to do a remake of Death Wish with his own take on it.  I don't know.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
Did he drown in a pool?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
I wonder if his body hit the floor...

Ok that was wrong.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »
Those guys suck.  I'm voting natural selection from a purely musical standpoint.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #25 on: Friday, January 25, 2008, 10:39:27 PM »
This movie was everything I had hoped it to be and more.

Imagine the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan and multiply it by 25.  This movie made me realize that the solution for Overpopulation is John Rambo and a mounted gun.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #26 on: Friday, January 25, 2008, 10:45:53 PM »
This movie was everything I had hoped it to be and more.

Imagine the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan and multiply it by 25.  This movie made me realize that the solution for Overpopulation is John Rambo and a mounted gun.

You made me laugh.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »
Heh, awesome.  Glad to hear a good report.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »
You wanna know what else is wrong?  The lead singer died a little while after the release of the song.
But, I just don't have any urge to see this movie.  I could barely hold a snigger in when I saw the trailer.  It just seems ridiculous to me, somehow.
Adding to that are rumours that Stallone wants to do a remake of Death Wish with his own take on it.  I don't know.

The lead singer actually died on the tour bus in my hometown...go Manassas!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »
The other thing that I found pretty neat was the fact that Stallone asked some humanitarians what the least-reported human tragedy of the day was.  They told him it was the Burmese civil war.  So that's why Stallone used it as the setting, he wanted to bring attention to it.

Like the movie or not, I think that is pretty awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 09:09:34 PM »
Yeah, he was talking about that on some late show I watched the other night.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 10:38:19 PM »
I just got back from seeing this and it was awesome.  Once the action starts, it doesn't let up for awhile and damn is it brutal.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 12:02:55 AM »
The other thing that I found pretty neat was the fact that Stallone asked some humanitarians what the least-reported human tragedy of the day was.  They told him it was the Burmese civil war.  So that's why Stallone used it as the setting, he wanted to bring attention to it.

Like the movie or not, I think that is pretty awesome.

Stallone: The Burmese civil war?

Humanitarian: Yes it was rather horrific. Hundreds of thousands of people died.

Stallone: Excellent.

Humanitarian: Excuse me?

Stallone: I mean, that's tragic.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 12:58:38 AM »
 ;D

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 04:50:01 PM »
Oh man... I saw the movie today.  That was some seriously awesome killing.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »
So I just saw it. It was a fun old school action movie. Watching it, I realized that it isn't me who is at fault for not enjoying action movies guys starring John Cena and Vin Diesel... these action movies of today are just too metro.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
I guess you must be checking movies off a backlog today.   :P

I don't think I ever saw this movie at all.  Now I want to.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
haha... yea I had a day off . Actually hit my head really fucking hard on the edge of an overhead cement stairway I didn't see, and it left me with a big lump, nausea, and a lot of pain in my left eye for some reason. Ice pack treatment later, I decided what better way to give my head some rest than to get through a few of my movies on my new plasma. 12 hours later, it still hurts when I lower my head, but I did manage to polish through four movies today. I still have about 50 more DVDs (accumulated over two years!) waiting to be viewed (official Asian versions of movies cost about $4, so yea cheap). It has been really fun, because aside from trips to the theater, I haven't had watched too many movies at home during the past two or three years.

But back to Rambo 4. It was surprisingly gory and quite brutal.

Some of the subject matter was also a difficult to watch. There were a few moments where women were abused and brutally raped. There was a pedophile general, which again, was disturbing.

Here is a tidbit from wikipedia:

Reception in Burma

The Burmese military junta has ordered DVD vendors in Burma not to distribute the film due to the movie's content.[23] Rambo is available on bootlegs however, and it is a great hit amongst the Karen Freedom Fighters and Burmese exiles critical of the Burmese military dictatorship.[citation needed] According to Karen Freedom Fighters, the movie gave them a great boost of morale. Burmese Freedom Fighters have even adopted dialogue from the movie (most notably "Live for nothing, or die for something") as rallying points and battle cries. "That, to me," said Sylvester Stallone, "is one of the proudest moments I've ever had in film."[24] Also, overseas Burmese have praised the movie for its vivid portrayal of the Burmese military's oppression of the Karen people.

Again, the movie wasn't brilliant, but it was still quite entertaining, and very watchable.

It is also easy for a movie like this to feel like it is taking advantage of a real world tragedy merely to create a cheap sense of empathy for its main characters, but I thought Stallone rose above that by giving the tragedy in Burma a fair portrayal, and not insulting our intelligence by letting the Rambo character come off as some noble freedom fighter. His motivations were made quite clear, and the few civilians that were saved, were saved as a side effect of Rambo's main goal rather than anything else.

To be honest, a lot of these action films can turn into AMERICA FUCK YEA, which this clearly wasn't, which impressed me.

I am not trying to make the movie deeper than what it was, but it did handle that aspect of it admirably.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 05:57:56 PM »
Isn't Burma really called "Myanmar"?  I was reading that it's pretty much just the U.S. that still refers to it as "Burma".  Kind of like how we will never let go of the stupid imperial system of measurement.

As far as this movie, I did see it and liked it.  I was skeptical, thinking "Stallone has got to be approaching 60 and he's making another Rambo"?  But then I saw that they didn't really try to fake it and make him seem like the young Rambo of old and I thought it really worked pretty well how they did it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 06:24:03 PM »
I know what I'm watching tomorrow night.  I'll comment then.

Pug, that close encounter with concrete sounds awful.  You might have a concussion.  You should see a doctor before you go to bed.  Ah, hell, it's probably too late where you are now, and you're probably asleep already.  I hope you're alright.