Author Topic: Wii Sports Flawed?  (Read 2705 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Wii Sports Flawed?
« on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 07:33:01 PM »
http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2006/10/30/35384/

Obviously, none of us can judge the accuracy of this at the moment, but it definitely scares me.  Yeah, it might just be an isolated example of a 'free' pack in game...but it might not.  This is Nintendo, and this is one of their flagship first party titles...or at least it should be.  I don't think it's a case of laziness.  This is what they want people to play and tell their friends about, so if Nintendo can't get the motion recognition down will it be a problem?  Lets not kid ourselves, the sucess (and enjoyment level as far as from the player's perspective) of the Wii is directly linked to how great, responsive, and intuitive the controller and individual control schemes are.  If this is what we get all the time, or even 70% of the time it'll be a huge let down. 

I hope this isn't because of a technical limitation or anything like that, because I'd hate to think we've all been getting excited by these commercials and the marketing just to find out that well, it really isn't all that great.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Wii Sports Flawed?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 07:38:43 PM »
I feel that Wii Sports is more or less a compilation of minigames to 'demo' the system moreso than an actual flagship title.  I'm sure there will be an actual Mario Tennis or something like that for the other sports that will be significantly more advanced than what Wii Sports has to offer.

Treat it like a demo disc or something IMO.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 07:39:37 PM »
My guess is its a limitation of the idiots that write for IGN.

Er...

Yeah, I don't know.  I expected there to be at least a bit of this, so we'll just have to see how it pans out.  Unless you're signed up to buy one at the front door, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Just wait and see.  That's my idea for the time being.  I want it to turn out great, but I'm not 100% convinced it's going to, and my money is so tight these days I just can't take any risks.  That said, I wouldn't say this is at all indicative of *everything* coming down the line.  You seem to give far more credit to the quality of Wii Sports than I ever did.  I still view it as a relatively crappy pack of free games that will show you generally what the system can do and very little more.

JB just posted when I tried to post... yeah, I pretty much agree with what he said.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 07:44:40 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought it was as well.....something to show what the system can do.  That's exactly why I'm worried about it.  It would make sense for them to get the controls right when this is basically a demonstration of what the controller is capable of.  Otherwise, whats the fucking point?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 07:53:21 PM »
The point is to get something free out with the system that at least to some extent demonstrates how it works.  Even if it isn't hot, it'll still demonstrate how it works.  Then you get a real game where a lot of time was spent on development and making sure it's great, and it'll be better.  I mean, that's what I'm thinking.  I don't think they ever intended this to have a lot of nuance or anything.  It's just really, really basic stuff.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:28:23 PM »
Fair enough.  I supose I just thought otherwise from some of the videos and trailers, but you're right; it's one of those things we'll just have to wait to find out about.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 09:20:03 PM »
Yeah, I think that's what it comes down to.  I have my fingers crossed that it'll work out, but only time will say for sure.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 11:46:35 PM »
Hmmm... I just looked at the Wii Launch lineup.  I gotta say I'm somewhat disappointed.  Aside from Zelda, there's really nothing in there that actually interests me. 

Now I'm sorta on the fence whether or not to buy a Wii at launch.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 11:54:58 PM »
I was leaning towards picking one up at launch, but I've pretty much changed my mind.  I bought an N64 very close to launch...and regretted that a few years later.  Now I'll almost always hold off for a few years.  I still may get one in the next year or so, but probably not until a new mario game is out and I know more about the quality and quantity of third party titles. 

As for Zelda, may as well just get it for GC.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 12:01:06 AM »
Did Metroid get pushed back for Wii?

If I bought at launch, Id probably go with Zelda and Excite Truck.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 12:11:28 AM »
Yeah, same here.  Only one I'd ad really would be Elebits.  Zelda should be great, but if I really want to play it I'll probably just grab a used gamecube for like $30. 

As for the rest of the launch lineup, it kind of reminds me of this:

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 12:25:54 AM »
Yea it looks like Metroid got pushed to 2007.

Elebits looks somewhat interesting.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 08:20:37 AM »
I'm firmly on the sidelines.  I am skeptical about the new control devices and schemes.  At best, it's uncharted territory, which needs to be fleshed out from scratch by both developers and players.  At worst, well, this article hints at what might be worst.  Complete lack of responsiveness, with the blame going to as many places as there are people apologizing for it.