Author Topic: Amazon to sell $100 X360 Core systems?  (Read 6403 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Amazon to sell $100 X360 Core systems?
« on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:21:50 PM »
Thats the rumor. I'll certainly keep my eye on it. For $100 I'd splurge and buy one for myself for Christmas. GoW and Dead Rising? Oh yeah. I can deal with the wired controller, HD cables I wont need, the headset I really dont need. Only the HDD would be useful for saving and custom soundtracks for my brother (I never used custom soundtracks).

So...yeah. This could be interesting. Hopefully they dont sell out in 5 minutes.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
Re: Amazon to sell $100 X360 Core systems?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:37:23 PM »
Wow.  I think I might get one too.  I never once considered it before, mostly because of price, but I do like a bunch of the games and at $100 I'd really like one.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:45:17 PM »
* Quemaqua commits suicide.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 10:29:41 PM »
I'll hit it if it's true.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 10:47:07 PM »
Seriously, if that's true, I'm going to fucking scream.  I mean... fucking scream.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 10:54:13 PM »
It might not be true. Its just that site that I've seen it on, and it seems relatively insane. I mean, thats less than the price of a DS! Might be one of those "Black Friday" specials or something if true.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 10:58:26 PM »
I'm going to feel the need to buy another at that price -- but what's the point?  Bleh.  That's fucking horrible for a guy who just bought one.  And a core system, at that, so I can't even say mine would be better than what I'd be getting, disregarding the logic that getting the core at $100 and the HD separate would still be cheaper.  So... fuck.  Either way, badness.  The bright side would be that then Sy could get one so I'd have someone to play GoW coop with at all times.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 12:31:03 AM »
haha I can't imagine it to be true. If it is, it will more likely be a publicity stunt by Amazon. Seriously though, I can feel Que's frustration. That is nuts... but surely not true.

edit:

haha Imagine if it turns out to be true, but only for the Xbox. Not the 360.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 10:01:18 AM »
Can you buy the HD separately?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 10:18:51 AM »
Shit, if that's true, I'm getting one. They are going to be sold out in about 3 seconds, though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 10:31:02 AM »
Thats the rumor. I'll certainly keep my eye on it. For $100 I'd splurge and buy one for myself for Christmas. GoW and Dead Rising? Oh yeah. I can deal with the wired controller, HD cables I wont need, the headset I really dont need. Only the HDD would be useful for saving and custom soundtracks for my brother (I never used custom soundtracks).

So...yeah. This could be interesting. Hopefully they dont sell out in 5 minutes.

Those are the USB controllers that work on the PC,right???

What about the headset? That work on the PC???

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »
Yes, you can buy the HDD separately.

No, those arent the controllers that work on PC. I think the 360 controllers still use a custom connector.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 10:35:28 AM »
Yes, you can buy the HDD separately.
How much is that, separately and all?

No, those arent the controllers that work on PC. I think the 360 controllers still use a custom connector.
I have seen at stores the 360 controllers that work on X360 and Windows; they're like $50 or so. That's why I asked.

Wasn't sure if that's the same one that comes w/ the 360.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 11:09:09 AM »
Do they work on both? I thought they had to come out with special PC versions of the controllers. Will have to check into that.

Amazon sells the 20GB HDD for $100.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 11:33:20 AM »
It's probably just a connector or something you need.  I have a USB adapter for the Dual Shock 2.  Works great.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 09:21:11 PM »
In fact, you need a USB adapter to even plug the controller into the 360 itself.  And yes, they work straight out of the box on a PC.  I've used mine a couple times just for kicks.  It's pretty nice, all things considered, but I really have no need to use a controller on my PC, so I don't care.  But yeah, the wired controllers come with a little plug that goes into a USB connector, and they said the idea is that if you step on the cord or something like that, it'll yank out of the USB connector instead of yanking *on* it and pulling your system off the table.  I thought this was stupid at first, but having actually done that several times because of the weird way I have this set up, I can confirm that it actually does just yank the controller harmlessly from it's little plug leaving the USB part plugged in, keeping your 360 from harm.  So to whoever came up with that idea... kudos.  I doubted you and undeservedly so.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 02:38:54 AM »
Wasn't that the same with the original Xbox? Like yourself I was thinking this detaching thing isn't very useful, but when you play with a lot of people then you see just how useful it is.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 08:11:16 AM »
Wait, whoa.  Are you saying all Xbox 360 controllers work on PCs out of the box, or only special ones made for both?  I might just get one if they do.

Edit:
Best PC gamepad yet, December 18, 2005
Reviewer:   Wayne "Omegafiler" (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
Once I found out that the new xbox 360 controller would work for the PC, I simply had to go purchase one right away and see how well it worked for myself. And I'm quite happy to report that this controller works extremely well on the PC. While I'm sure this controller is awesome connected to an Xbox 360, since I don't have one, I'll keep comments specific to the "PC experience."

First, there is no need to buy the "PC version." Save yourself $5 and buy the xbox version. Then after connecting your controller to the PC, go to Windows Update, and download the drivers for free!

Not an official source, but good enough for me.  I had no idea.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 08:40:03 AM »
Well, cool beans. Might have to get a decent gamepad for once.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 10:27:30 AM »
I am surprised you guys didn't know. PC Gamer loved the Xbox controller, and they all use it for their PCs. I've been meaning to order one for a while. This was a part of M$'s bigger scheme to integrate everything. One part of their plan was to allow Vista to play Xbox 360 games from DVD. I don't know why they ditched that.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #20 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 10:33:48 AM »
Every time this thread gets a new post a new hope arises if the 100$ Xbox 360 rumor is true, but is only shot down by another post about a PC controller. :(

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »
In fact, you need a USB adapter to even plug the controller into the 360 itself.  And yes, they work straight out of the box on a PC.  I've used mine a couple times just for kicks.  It's pretty nice, all things considered, but I really have no need to use a controller on my PC, so I don't care.
Really??? I figured the X360 slots were USB-made already....

But yeah, the wired controllers come with a little plug that goes into a USB connector, and they said the idea is that if you step on the cord or something like that, it'll yank out of the USB connector instead of yanking *on* it and pulling your system off the table.  I thought this was stupid at first, but having actually done that several times because of the weird way I have this set up, I can confirm that it actually does just yank the controller harmlessly from it's little plug leaving the USB part plugged in, keeping your 360 from harm.  So to whoever came up with that idea... kudos.  I doubted you and undeservedly so.
Hey, that's actually a pretty good idea.....I like that idea. :)

I'm doubting that cool connector works on the PC, right???

You'd basically just plug that X360 controller straight into the USB port for your PC, right??? That would be fine for me.

Hey, Que, since you own the 360 -- does that headset that comes w/ the X360 System work on the PC??? B/c those headsets and controllers together would be around say $60 total, at least, I'd guess -- probably.

Since I been thinking about a X360 Controller for my PC and since the 360 Core comes w/ a nice headset (probably beats the PC mic I use sitting on the top of the monitor), I might as well spend the extra $40 to have the Core 360 to have all those X360 periphreals (headset and controller) that ALSO work on the PC (my main gaming system) -- and, in case of "exclusives" the PC won't get, I have the X360 Core, y'know???

That is, of course, if it the X360 Core's going to be $100 in a few weeks.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
Uh... my core system didn't come with a headset, so I don't know where you got that information.  At least I don't think it did.  I have no interest in a headset so maybe I just left it in the box and forgot about it?

And again, the controllers come with that little detachment feature.  The end of the controller is a little PS/2-looking plug (not as in Playstation 2) that hooks up to a couple-inch USB part which plugs into the PC or console.  Hence if you step on your controller cord the USB part stays plugged in and the round part harmlessly pops out of the plug instead of yanking violently on your system.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »
Quote from: Que
And again, the controllers come with that little detachment feature.  The end of the controller is a little PS/2-looking plug (not as in Playstation 2) that hooks up to a couple-inch USB part which plugs into the PC or console.  Hence if you step on your controller cord the USB part stays plugged in and the round part harmlessly pops out of the plug instead of yanking violently on your system.
Wait....You said the little "detachment plug" goes right into the X360...

But am I reading this right -- it also can go into my PC's USB port????

Uh... my core system didn't come with a headset, so I don't know where you got that information.  At least I don't think it did.  I have no interest in a headset so maybe I just left it in the box and forgot about it

The link shows says it's "sold separately" in parenthesis.

Whoops...you're right.

What's Included in Core System

* Xbox 360 console
    * Wired controller
    * Detachable faceplate
    * Xbox Live Silver membership
    * Standard AV cables

Still, that expensive X360/PC controller and having the 360 isn't a bad idea, at $100. Throw the cost of the controller out, the 360 looks cheap. I was looking to buy a new controller soon, which go for around $30 or more, so since the 360 Core comes w/ it, it's worth the extra bucks just to have the rest of the system.

$100 looks way more attractive than say $300.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 12:06:37 PM »
No shit.

And again, if you actually read the stuff you quoted I said this several times!  I said you NEED the USB attachment to even plug your controller into the 360 itself.  The detachment feature is so that the USB part stays plugged in if you step on the cord but the little round part pops out the controller itself so that it doesn't yank your 360 off the shelf.  The round part doesn't plug into the 360... otherwise what would be the point?  Read, D, read!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 12:13:33 PM »
Really??? I figured the X360 slots were USB-made already....
Hey, that's actually a pretty good idea.....I like that idea. :)

I'm doubting that cool connector works on the PC, right???

You'd basically just plug that X360 controller straight into the USB port for your PC, right??? That would be fine for me.

Hey, Que, since you own the 360 -- does that headset that comes w/ the X360 System work on the PC??? B/c those headsets and controllers together would be around say $60 total, at least, I'd guess -- probably.

Since I been thinking about a X360 Controller for my PC and since the 360 Core comes w/ a nice headset (probably beats the PC mic I use sitting on the top of the monitor), I might as well spend the extra $40 to have the Core 360 to have all those X360 periphreals (headset and controller) that ALSO work on the PC (my main gaming system) -- and, in case of "exclusives" the PC won't get, I have the X360 Core, y'know???

That is, of course, if it the X360 Core's going to be $100 in a few weeks.

Am I crazy, but isn't this not a new idea? I swear my Xbox had similar detachable controllers.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 12:20:10 PM »
You're right pug, the original xbox had the same feature.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 12:28:08 PM »
Every time this thread gets a new post a new hope arises if the 100$ Xbox 360 rumor is true, but is only shot down by another post about a PC controller. :(

ditto.  I keep peeking at this thread with my wallet nearby, hoping to spend some dough (but not that much)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »
Right now, you can save $0.17 at Amazon.  Woooo!

List Price:     $299.99
Price:    $299.82 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save:    $0.17

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 03:08:35 PM »
Microcenter has a $100 mail-in-rebate for the Xbox 360. Making the core system $199.99, and the premium $299.99. Thats what I've seen so far.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 03:11:21 PM »
Damn it.  Where the fuck were these prices when I was looking?  I looked everywhere for a deal and found exactly jack shit.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 09:25:45 PM »
I would be all over a $100 360, as it is I plan to buy a new TV and either a 360 or PS3 shortly after the hollidays.  I'm still on the fence about which one though, I guess I'll have to see how the PS3 shakes out after launch.