Author Topic: partys: drinks  (Read 1564 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
partys: drinks
« on: Saturday, August 08, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »
bring what you didn't drink home, or leave it?

spent a lot on some fucking shit parties recently, and wondered what the real etiquette on this is...

Offline wizall

Re: partys: drinks
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 08, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
I've done both. It depends on the people hosting/quality of the party. It also depends on how much you bring. I always feel a little douchy taking it back, but if I'm bring a case or two of beer and there's plenty left over, I am not leaving it.

A side note: I despise those bastards who actually take booze they didn't bring. It happens more often than it should.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 08, 2009, 06:41:52 PM »
It depends. In my early college days when I went to a big party there was no question - always keep your beer. I hardly ever knew the hosts anyways, and there were tons of people there, so it would have been foolish to just leave it there.

But nowadays I just do small gatherings with people that I enjoy (read: non-idiotic, fun people) and I just assume going in that what I take will be consumed. If not, so be it. I doubt there's any qualms either way, but I leave it anyways. There's no reason to be stingy with someone who invites you into their home for a good time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 08, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »
In polite society, you bring something with the intention of everyone enjoying it.  If it doesn't get consumed, leave it for the hosts.  But if you're with friends and stuff, they probably won't care if you want it back, and I don't imagine most of your parties involve a lot of particularly polite society anyway.  Most of the parties I used to go to where drinking was involved, nobody was even conscious to notice me taking back my booze.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 08, 2009, 11:54:58 PM »
Always take back your booze and choice of easily pocketable electronics.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, August 09, 2009, 07:10:45 AM »
Back in the days of Uni, I remember a guy who used to take the beer bottles from parties so he could return them for the petty cash. Resourceful but very petty.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 09, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »
Everybody always brings their own booze and then takes back what they didn't drink here. Nobody ever leaves anything unless they were really drunk and lost it. The difference might be because booze is pretty much double the price in the states here. Whenever I go to the states all the $5-$10 six-packs look so cheap.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 09, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
Everybody always brings their own booze and then takes back what they didn't drink here. Nobody ever leaves anything unless they were really drunk and lost it. The difference might be because booze is pretty much double the price in the states here. Whenever I go to the states all the $5-$10 six-packs look so cheap.

Well, when I was 13 I had to pay a hefty surcharge to get booze as well.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 09, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »
Well, when I was 13 I had to pay a hefty surcharge to get booze as well.

they had booze back then?

That comeback was intended to be even worse than your quip. I think I did well.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 09, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »
Clearly, drinking at such a young age has damaged you irreparably. I'm going to find those sons of a bitches who give booze to young kids and kick their asses. 

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 09, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
Actually, when I was younger (older than 13 though) booze was pretty much impossible to get so everybody just smoked weed instead.