Author Topic: FEAR 2  (Read 20136 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: Yahtzee reviewed FEAR 2 (see Reply 112)
« Reply #120 on: Friday, March 06, 2009, 02:15:03 AM »
Exactly.. With AC it kinda went under the radar becasue it's not a FPS. Now with FEAR2 it's drawing a lot more attention to the issue.

Pug summed my concerns quite concisely :)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #121 on: Friday, March 06, 2009, 04:33:29 AM »
I just checked out the demo... and ummm, Im really not digging it. What really drew me in on the first game was the impressive AI and just how a lot of things felt being a FPS game. The guns had a lot of weight to them, really nice particle effects and environmental damage, but with this one Im feeling the total opposite now, everything feels bad to me. The squad AI is rather stupid as they often hide behind things in the wrong position, always revealing themselves, the guns were alright, but what I mainly cant stand is they really shitty looking deathsplosion affect of whenever you kill someone. I realize its a bit over the top which kinda goes with it, its actually very apparent with the whole demo. I feel like its a bit too extreme with the chaos.

I dont know, its silly of me to just say Im not interested because its too violent, because I guess thats what the first FEAR was, but I did feel there was some sense of dark reality through it all which made the alma scenes a little more tense and creepifying. I however really dont like the over the edge quality of this one.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #122 on: Friday, March 06, 2009, 05:09:15 AM »
I guess the other issue is that shooters have matured (by matured I mean improved, and not more adult oriented or anything) since F.E.A.R., and it looks like F.E.A.R. 2 didn't do anything new that made it feel as unique as the first one did at the time of its release.

The fact that it lacks the whole "visercal" quality of the first one, is a bit worrying.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 06, 2009, 11:55:28 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #123 on: Friday, March 06, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »
I agree with Pug. One of the main reasons FEAR2 is not as appealing is due to the comparison and contrast with its peers.

Like I mentioned in my first impressions posted earlier in the thread, they somehow fudged the guns. The same basic format of the weapons is there but they're totally imbalanced and nothing like their counterparts in FEAR1.

To be fair I like the overall visual appeal of the game. Lith did a good job of maintaining the atmosphere of the original and keeping with its creative direction. They didn't stray too far. To me it looks like what I expected the original FEAR to look. The environments are a bit more 'organic' than the original but it still adheres to the 90's traditions of level design. Actually it makes Duke Nukem 3D seem open-world. Nontheless, visually I'm not disappointed with FEAR2. They really did do a good job with the production value.

Besides the splattered blood and occasional gibs you find here and there, I honestly felt FEAR2 is less visceral than its predecessor. Which is a good thing! In FEAR1 I wasn't a huge fan of tomato-burst kills, or the shotgun basically being a projectile-blender-launcher. I've noticed less ballon-pop kills in FEAR2.

That said, it is clear that Lith went for a more action-shootout notion.. minus the one iconic weapon(s) of an action-shootout: akimbo pistols. I'm not saying it's a "make or break" deal, but it was a nice option in FEAR1 and it kinda stood out from the other shooters at the time for it.

All-in-all, I'd say they did a good job with it and a 8/10 (7/10 for PC) is a fair score. Point loss for not making a proper PC version.

Oh and...
(click to show/hide)

Anyway, on to a discussion about the story.

I don't if anyone else has thought it out or not, but what do you think of the whole predicament? The really sad, horrific story of Alma in the background?

I'm going through the game feeling Alma is the main protagonist. The shit they did to her is what wreaked their comeupance!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 01:43:33 PM »
FEAR 2 DLC is planned for April.
Currently planned for the PS3 and X360.

F.E.A.R. 2 DLC coming in April

Monolith just announced the first downloadable content for F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. In April the company plans to release a Toy Soldiers map pack that will "allow players to experience multiplayer from a new perspective".

The DLC will also include a new pictures pack and theme for F.E.A.R. 2.

EDIT:
PC will EVENTUALLY be getting this DLC.
No release date planned yet for "Toy Soldiers" DLC on the PC.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 13, 2009, 03:13:05 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: DLC coming in April (see Reply 124)
« Reply #125 on: Friday, March 13, 2009, 08:44:01 PM »
FEAR 2 (PC) gets patched over Steam

F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin Update Released
March 13, 2009, 4:09 pm - Valve - Product Update

Updates to F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin

* Difficulty of Hard mode has been increased
    * Implemented a toggle for switching between widescreen (16:9) and full screen (4:3) in the Options|Performance|Advanced Settings menu
    * Implemented a toggle for head bob in Options|Game Settings
    * Implemented a toggle for film grain in the Options|Performance|Advanced Settings menu
    * Leaving a multiplayer lobby now returns the player to the associated multiplayer menu instead of the front end main menu
    * Applied fix for energy weapon audio causing lag
    * Applied fix for team balancing host options not being applied properly
    * Changing team swap during selection and grace periods to swap at the next spawn
    * Applied fix for team name showing as "undefined" after swapping teams

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 06:08:24 AM »
For some odd reason they also changed the icon for Medkits (or any health item) from a + to a red drop. Not really sure why, it doesn't really make more sense. It's not even mentioned in the release notes.

I'm just glad they got a proper fullscreen option.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #127 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 06:39:21 AM »
About that upcoming FEAR 2 DLC coming called "Toy Soldiers" -- it'll be a FREE Release.

Coming in April for console gamers.
PC DLC is, as you know, will be coming eventually.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: FREE DLC coming in April (see Reply 124 + 127)
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »
Lith are turning into asshats.. Some of you would argue they've always been.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: FREE DLC coming in April (see Reply 124 + 127)
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »
I generally like them, but they've definitely turned into a console-focused developer.  Which is a bummer.  Condemned II didn't even get a PC release.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
I generally like them, but they've definitely turned into a console-focused developer.  Which is a bummer.  Condemned II didn't even get a PC release.
Yeah, it was disappointing that it never mdae it to the PC, especially since most people thought it was better than the first one.

I've been a fan of Monolith since Blood. I just really hope if NOLF3 or Shogo 2 are in the works that we will see a strong support for the PC editions.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »

Condemned 1 was pretty kick-ass.
I'd really liked to see Condemned 2 get a PC release -- and at a budget price, since it is kind of old by now.

I've been a fan of Monolith since Blood. I just really hope if NOLF3 or Shogo 2 are in the works that we will see a strong support for the PC editions.
I'd love to see GOG pick up Blood series. That'd be awesome, since I only have Blood Shareware, oddly enough.

I'd love to see a NOLF 3. Cate Archer rules -- banana peel tossing and all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »
Expect TWO more DLC packs this summer.
One DLC in May will be for Elite Powered Armor MP Maps.
Another DLC in the late summer will provide new SP levels and MP map.

F.E.A.R. 2 'Toy Soldiers' DLC Hits Consoles Next Week, Two Other DLC Packs Announced
by Chris Faylor Apr 07, 2009 12:00pm CST tags: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, Trailer
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

Firming up that vague mid-April estimate, publisher Warner Bros. today announced that the free "Toy Solider" multiplayer maps for F.E.A.R. 2 will hit PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on April 16, and also revealed details on two other forthcoming downloadable add-ons.

The second pack will bring more Elite Powered Armor multiplayer maps to Monolith's spooky shooter in May, with additional single-player levels and multiplayer maps due later in the summer. Pricing for these two downloadable packs was not provided.

Details on the PC release of the downloadable content were likewise not provided, though DLC for the PC edition of F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is definitely on the way.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: Two More DLC planned (see Reply 132)
« Reply #133 on: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 06:34:52 AM »
For all you Reward Zone Gamers Club members at Best Buy, FEAR 2 PC is $30 for a short time period if you print their latest coupon for it and buy the game in-store.

Count me in...today!

EDIT:
So, I got this FEAR 2 installed and all -- and Steam updated it itself with Toy Soldiers MP, too. Spent a little over an hour with the SP Portion, so far.

I must say, the action and level of violence is absolutely awesome. No surprise at all. But, something was making me scratch my head -- these shootouts, they feel too easy for me on Normal. You can rush right in and just blow 'em away -- especially since the game does litter Health Packs and whatnot -- and go through an area too easily. That's not how FEAR 1 felt -- as rushing right in too quick resulting in death.

So, I pumped it up to Hard -- now, that feels much more like what I was expecting for difficulty, as I actually wound up dying more often; especially if you try to rush the enemies. Yeah, that's more like it.

I haven't ran into any yet, but I already do miss hearing the conversations on the phone messages and stuff that the first FEAR had going on there. Are there any of that stuff here in the game? Or did the PDA replace it completely? I must say, though -- I do like having the PDA and finding info about things and reading up on stuff, as it often gives you good insight into the story, characters, and all of that jazz. I would like to see both going on here -- the PDA and some phone messages.

Graphics are pretty good and it runs really well on the settings I threw it on -- got all of it on Medium on 1024x768 with FSAA and AA both at 2x's. I'm gonna play with the settings a bit, to see whatelse I can do here, as I'm not having any performance issues at those settings.

Gonna go play more. So far, I really like this game.

EDIT #2:
Okay, now it's like, not that I'm a little bit further along, I'm done with Hard; I'm sticking with Normal. When the checkpoints are a little less abundant and the shootouts are more grand with enemies positioned all around the perimiter, I just get pounced -- especially when you get nailed with them one-shot kills on Hard.

I'll have to try Hard in a replay, down the line. I'm dying here and there, on Normal, now that I'm a little bit further along in the game.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 03:39:26 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #135 on: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 09:55:16 AM »
To be fair I like the overall visual appeal of the game. Lith did a good job of maintaining the atmosphere of the original and keeping with its creative direction. They didn't stray too far. To me it looks like what I expected the original FEAR to look. The environments are a bit more 'organic' than the original but it still adheres to the 90's traditions of level design. Actually it makes Duke Nukem 3D seem open-world. Nontheless, visually I'm not disappointed with FEAR2. They really did do a good job with the production value.
I absolutely love the look and feel of the FEAR 2 game and its atmospheric environments -- Single Player Portion. In many regards, FEAR 2 is an improvement on the original FEAR -- more varied environments and enemies. Also, all the levels that looked ruined and destroyed -- fantastic. In other regards, FEAR 2 is not an improvement over the original -- namely the consolization of the game (checkpoint save system -- though, they are often quite frequent), removable of the Akimbos, and of course (on the MP side) the removal of Slo Mo DM. WTF is Slo Mo DM gone? That was one of my favorite modes in the original -- you'd think they'd keep that, on the MP side of things.

Also, let's talk about the MP a little. Where the hell is everyone? Nobody is playing this on the PC. Did everybody buy this game on the X360 and PS3? Since this split seems to be happening more and more with games put on BOTH platforms, if a game's gonna do SP/MP and be on PC and X360, it should just support cross-platform play (like Shadowrun and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition). There's like anywhere from 5-15 servers of this FEAR 2 MP game up on Steam, every time I look to do F2 MP. You know, I think it's time for SP and MP games to go as separate entities. Nobody seems to often take a game offering both SP and MP seriously anymore. Gamers seem to either stick with the SP portion (especially if the SP is very strong like FEAR 2) or only stick with the MP side of things (see Unreal Tournament 3).

Ending talk
(click to show/hide)

FEAR 1 + 2 - Story Talk
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: FEAR 2 -- Update: Lith with music video for Armored Front DLC (Reply 136)
« Reply #137 on: Friday, June 05, 2009, 04:24:42 AM »
Update now available over Steam.

The specific changes include:
    * Added two new 'Armored Front' multiplayer maps
    * Unlocked Collector's Edition multiplayer heads for all players
    * Fixed bug with music cross fades when switching between two tracks

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #138 on: Friday, June 05, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »
Nice! Glad the PC version got the DLC MP maps and all that the 360 recently just got.

Now, someone tell PC gamers that got FEAR 2 to get onto Steam and play this damn MP!!!
And someone tell PC gamers that ain't got FEAR 2 PC, get it and join the MP!!!

Armored Front MP mode kicks ass!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #139 on: Friday, June 05, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
I don't know man, I'm not enjoying it at all when I actually get a chance to play. It's very repetitive and uninspired. The mech is cool but only one player can hop on and only another mech can challenge it at all. Basically if you're on-foot you're dead.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #140 on: Friday, June 05, 2009, 02:47:48 PM »
I don't know man, I'm not enjoying it at all when I actually get a chance to play. It's very repetitive and uninspired. The mech is cool but only one player can hop on and only another mech can challenge it at all. Basically if you're on-foot you're dead.

You're supposed to avoid the mech and battle the other dudes, when on-foot -- which is the challenge of this thing, of course. Otherwise, you're freakin' toast.

It's satisfied to being on foot and getting damaged by a player on foot, then suddenly a Heavy saves your ass.

Also, watching the mechs in action -- with all the smoke and explosions and whatnot -- is pretty kick-ass. Once an enemy mech gets wrecked and you storm to the next point, that's pretty satisfying, too -- as likely, you're gonna survive b/c your mech will back you up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FEAR 2 -- Update: Lith's Original End-Credits music video released (Reply 141)
« Reply #142 on: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 01:39:24 PM »
FEAR 2: Project Origin - Reborn DLC announced for PC, PS3 and X360.
Coming to consoles Sept 3rd.
PC Version will be getting this DLC at a later date.

Here's info on the Reborn DLC.

Beginning September 3, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin fans will be able to download four all-new single-player levels in the exclusive F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn DLC campaign from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Monolith Studios, for a brand new gameplay experience on the PlayStation®Network for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Windows™ PC. F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn lets players experience four new single-player missions that coincide with the events in F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, and a simultaneous automatic title-update provides a free Slow-Mo Deathmatch multiplayer mode for use with F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin multiplayer content. A robust game demo of F.E.A.R. 2 Reborn will be released on August 27.

Four New SP Levels
· Four All New Levels: Face the chaos of Alma’s aftermath from an entirely new point of view: that of Replica Soldier Foxtrot813. As gamers begin the mission as part of an orbital Powered Armor drop to reinforce their squad, the ruined city of Auburn emanates supernatural events and familiar voices, beckoning Foxtrot813 to go against orders from Replica command. Be careful, not everything is as it seems…

Slow-Mo Deathmatch Returns!!!!
· Slow-Mo Deathmatch: Through a free title update, gamers obtain a slow-mo powerup to slow down enemies in multiplayer deathmatch, thus gaining a distinct short-term advantage. The longer players hold onto the slow-mo powerup, the more objective points are accumulated, contributing to the overall score. Watch out though, whoever has slow-mo ability becomes a bigger target to everyone else!

More Info
Additionally, launching on August 13 is a brand new F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin premium theme for 240 Microsoft Points and picture pack for 80 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360®, as well as a new theme for PLAYSTATION®3 for $1.99. F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn is the third robust DLC pack available for F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, and will become available for Windows ™ PC at a later date. The “Toy Soldiers” map pack launched April 16, with the “Armored Front” map pack following soon after on May 21.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FEAR 2 - Update: Reborn DLC - Four new SP levels; Slow-Mo DM Returns (Reply 142)
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, September 03, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »
FEAR 2 - Reborn DLC = $10
FEAR 2: Reborn DLC released.
Will cost $10 through Steam.
You get FOUR new SP levels.

FEAR 2 - New Patch includes Slow Mo MP
New update for FEAR 2 released.
This includes Slo Mo MP.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Update Released
September 3, 2009, 12:45 pm - Valve - Product Update

Updates to F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

* Added Slow Mo Death Match multiplayer game mode
    * Added DLC3 support
    * Fixed a bug in which some audio stopped playing when exiting the EPA
    * Fixed a bug in which the user could get stuck at an encounter with Alma in an elevator in the Nurse’s Office mission. This not only prevents the bug from occurring on first play through, but also allows players stuck by this bug to continue successfully
    * Fixed a crash that occurred if a save was conducted while entering the EPA
    * Fixed a bug in which missiles that flew for too long were incorrectly slowing down
    * Fixed an issue in which pressing start on the Edit Loadout screen prevented loadouts from being edited again
    * Adjusted balance between 2d and 3d sounds

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FEAR 2 - Update: Reborn DLC - Four new SP levels = $9.99 on Steam. (Reply 143)
« Reply #144 on: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
FEAR 2: Project Origin and Reborn DLC are 50% off this weekend only through STEAM.
FEAR 2: Project Origin = $24.99
FEAR 2: Reborn DLC = $4.99.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: FEAR 2 - Update: FEAR 2 and Reborn DLC = 50% off this weekend only on Steam
« Reply #145 on: Saturday, December 25, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »
So I bought this on the Steam for sale, for what I remember was $9, and am regretting it now. It was the first day of the Steam sale, and I probably should have saved for another purchase rather than get so excited.

The game is a disappointment, which is a shame. The first F.E.A.R. was awesome because of the fantastic A.I., and the really sweet feel of the weapons. They felt heavy and had impact.

Everything feels floaty in F.E.A.R. 2 and the A.I. is actually quite terrible. There are other aspects that feel like they are from an older generation of shooters, and certain modern shooter staples are just missing.

I almost want to reinstall the first F.E.A.R.

There are some good frights, but those heart attacks aren't worth the mediocre game in between.

edit:

I just read Pyro's post earlier in the this thread, and yea, some of the gore is definitely over the top. The fact that they put their weight behind that, and not the AI and the combat, makes the game feel a bit cheap and gimmicky.

edit 2:

Reading some of my older posts in this thread... I don't really remember writing them haha! Funny that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #146 on: Saturday, December 25, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
So I bought this on the Steam for sale, for what I remember was $9, and am regretting it now. It was the first day of the Steam sale, and I probably should have saved for another purchase rather than get so excited.

The game is a disappointment, which is a shame. The first F.E.A.R. was awesome because of the fantastic A.I., and the really sweet feel of the weapons. They felt heavy and had impact.

Everything feels floaty in F.E.A.R. 2 and the A.I. is actually quite terrible. There are other aspects that feel like they are from an older generation of shooters, and certain modern shooter staples are just missing.

I almost want to reinstall the first F.E.A.R.

There are some good frights, but those heart attacks aren't worth the mediocre game in between.

edit:

I just read Pyro's post earlier in the this thread, and yea, some of the gore is definitely over the top. The fact that they put their weight behind that, and not the AI and the combat, makes the game feel a bit cheap and gimmicky.

edit 2:

Reading some of my older posts in this thread... I don't really remember writing them haha! Funny that.

The AI's too easy on the default Normal as is. Also, it's just way too brutal on Hard especially since there's only checkpoint saves. They really didn't even find a medium b/t the two difficulties, unfortunately - which is probably what would've been perfect for most gamers on this first run-through.

I still hate that they removed the Akimbo guns. And they also put Slo-Mo DM back into the game WAY too late - nobody was playing the damn MP.

A lot of FEAR 2's biggest problem was instead of being a leader in doing things differently than most games (which the original did), it followed other FPS big titles - vehicle sequences; mech-driving sequences; rail gun shooter levels; tram ride; etc etc. Add into the equation they threw a lot of the same horror bag of tricks they threw in the original - yeah, that game's not so scary b/c it can be very predictable.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #147 on: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
Curious:
Anybody play the Reborn DLC?
If so - how was it?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: FEAR 2
« Reply #148 on: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
I got it for $2.50 but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Hmm, actually I do recall playing some of it on PS3 a few months ago. From what I remember it was mundane, nothing special.