Author Topic: Orange Box and Quake Wars = $38 @ CC (Starts 10/7/2007)  (Read 20379 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Orange Box and Quake Wars = $38 @ CC (Starts 10/7/2007)
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, October 13, 2007, 05:12:22 PM »
Well, to Valves credit they do drop prices. Episode 1 debuted at $20 and can now be bought for $10. Or theres always the retail box that should drop in price quickly-ish. I'm sure GoGamer will have it for $20-25 in a few months.

But seriously, you'll love it. Even the $20 by itself...I probably would be ok with that, believe it or not. I just beat story mode, theres individual challenges to beat now. Fun fun.

As for questions about length, according to Steam I beat it in 2.5 hours. Check out my cool stats.

I do want to warn anyone interested in this game: try to avoid spoilers online as much as possible. I did and I am so glad I did. Not that it would completely ruin it, but the surprise is really great. Also, do not download the ending theme song thats going around. Its a million times better after playing the game.

Also, the cake is a lie.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, October 13, 2007, 07:31:10 PM »
I hate you for making me even consider it.  No, seriously.  Hate.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, October 13, 2007, 08:03:06 PM »
Its one of those "double" sized DVD cases, the plastic is that neon hunter orange. Inside are two DVDs to install the games, and a single sheet of paper. One side has one registration key plus install instructions. The other side has the basic keybinds for the games. Thats it.

This is one of the reasons I dislike the concept of digitial distribution as far as major releases go, or it could even be just Valve.  I bought HL2 and it had shit all in the box.  I figure it's because they don't put anything else in the box because they want you to go the digital route so they can get a bigger slice of the pie.  I'd guess we'd have to see the actual contract agreement between valve and the publisher to see if the publisher is allowed to put anything else in the box or not, but that's another issue all together.  The fact that they're distributing it digitally for only a few dollars less kind of works them into a corner where they CAN'T put anything extra in the box or else it not only steals the digital revenue, but it actually cheapens the content of the game to a certain extent.

With little arcade games like popcap games and things like that it's different, you don't want or need anything else then the actual content.  But fuck, Orange Box is a huge release, where's our Blizzard level of extra content in the packaging?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, October 13, 2007, 09:33:45 PM »
Yeah, the retail box is nothing more than "install from disc instead of download" package. Its really cheap. Of course, thats expected...have you seen the cover art. Wait...its not even cover art, its just a cover. I've seen budget titles with better covers. Fuck.

I'm going to look, I'm sure someone has made a better one to print.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, October 13, 2007, 10:30:44 PM »
Valve probably does want a bare minimum on their retail-game packages so they don't feel they screw over The Steam buyer b/c the Steam buyer wouldn't have a hard copies of manuals and documentation printed for them you'd have to print it yourself. W/ the retail buyer not getting a manual or anything of much, the Steam user won't feel cheated for buying the Steam version. Also, they probably do this to make the gamer opt possibly for the Steam version of the game, since the Retail Box won't have anything of much in it -- especially if the Steam version is cheaper than the Retail Box, which sometimes happens.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, October 13, 2007, 11:40:36 PM »
Well, theres whats supposed to happen and then what happened to me, I suppose.

You toss the disc in, run setup. Window pops up, what do you want to do, click install.

Steam starts (or the steam installer starts if its not already installed). You're presented with a window to type in the CD key. That registers, another window asks which of the games you want to install. Last night I selected all of them (I had uninstalled HL2/EP1 before, but kinda want to replay them. Plus EP1 is required for me to play the updated Minerva mod). Then Steam is supposed to create the cache files. This step happens even when you download directly from Steam. This is the step that hated me, because it just never finished after 14 hours. I had to go back and install one by one and it eventually worked. Then instead of downloading everything it pulled data off the DVDs, and now the games are installed...but still updating.

God damn, its only been 3 days since launch, whats been updated? How much is left to download? Why won't steam tell me this shit? Like Portal, it jumped to 85% complete and I'm thinking "Oh, small update...cool, I'll be playing in 5 minutes." Nope, these last 15% has been downloading for about 3 hours now. Still have 2% to go.

Where does ideology even enter the picture?  Never in a million fucking years will I put up with that shit.  You're talking about a product you buy in a box, from a store.  You're describing an inept method of delivering the whole thing to you online.  The saddest part is that intelligent, veteran gamers bend over and take it anyway.  The unwashed masses don't stand a chance.  I'm pissing in the wind, and I know it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 12:50:32 AM »
I know, its still bullshit, and I'm still writing them about my horrible experience. I mean, reinstalling from my backups is easier. Drag and drop gfc files to the steamapps directory. Done. Why arent the retail installers doing the exact same thing? They are in some funky format and the installer has to create the files before it can "fill" the files? Huh?

Especially seeing that Steam is its own copy protection. Who cares if the files on disc are not encrypted when you need to have that one-time use CD key tied to your account to play the games anyway? Its not like games where you install it on your PC and your buddies PC and you both play. Whoever has the CD key gets to play, and its non-transferable.

Also:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 06:53:17 AM »
LOL @ that comic

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 02:47:05 PM »
Haha!  Took me a bit to understand what was happening in that 1st frame.   ;D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #49 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 11:13:49 PM »
Portal?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »
Hey Que, wanna play Portal but can't justify the purchase? Why play the flash version of course. It doesn't have the humor charm that the actual game has but its actually cleverly done here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
That's actually quite awesome.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 06:24:27 PM »
After finishing Episode 2, it is very easy for me to say Portal was a far far better singleplayer game. Valve reuses the same battle setups from HL2 and EP1 (Your way is blocked...oh look, enemies!), tells little to nothing new of the "story", and overall it felt like more of the same.

Portal was at least fresh and its story, while still keeping its own secrets, was much cooler. I want Portal 2 far more than Episode 3. Lets hope they don't tie one to the other.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 06:32:27 PM »
After finishing Episode 2, it is very easy for me to say Portal was a far far better singleplayer game. Valve reuses the same battle setups from HL2 and EP1 (Your way is blocked...oh look, enemies!), tells little to nothing new of the "story", and overall it felt like more of the same.

Portal was at least fresh and its story, while still keeping its own secrets, was much cooler. I want Portal 2 far more than Episode 3. Lets hope they don't tie one to the other.

I think they were planning the Portal Gun to be in Episode 3....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »
This Flash game is hysterical.  I just got myself into an infinite portal loop that I can't get out of because I fell down a floor and came out a wall right back into the first hole... and I can't break it.  AWESOME!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 08:49:11 PM »
So I'm backing up my files now that its all updated, and I'll probably remove EP2 because...eh, I don't plan on replaying it again for a while. Hooray for steams retarded "backup the entire game" backup system, now I get to burn several DVDs instead of just a single CD with the updates.

This is progress?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2007, 08:51:20 PM »
This Flash game is hysterical.  I just got myself into an infinite portal loop that I can't get out of because I fell down a floor and came out a wall right back into the first hole... and I can't break it.  AWESOME!

That's too sweet, man!

I'm guessing this was NOT planned, heh!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 05:55:10 PM »
I finally got to play some TF2, and its mad fun. I, like many, questioned some of the changes..removal of grenades, medics cant infect the other team, etc. But I have to hand it to them, this is just pure fun. I dont miss the grenades at all. It really streamlines the classes and sets them in their roles.

I spent the majority of my time as a medic this time. While playing I didn't care that I couldnt infect, but what I could do was good stuff. Healing people, duh. I like that they added responses to being healed. Battles are too fast for someone to type back (and I dont have my mic going so not sure if they talk it) and say thanks, but even with it just being an automated thing it makes medics feel like less of the "thankless job" class. The Ubercharge thing is neat. Can take a long time to charge and if you die you lose it all, but then you let loose a 10 second invulnerability so you and your target can tear shit up. Cool.

Plus while healing a target if they kill someone you get credit for the assis and points. I was actually in the top half of the scoreboard the entire game and I only directly killed one guy.

I didnt get any revenge kills yet. When you get killed, the game zooms up and freezes the action on the person that just killed you. If you manage to kill them later it counts as a revenge kill and nets extra points.

Have to learn the map layouts and what to do. Most of the maps are capture point style, and only 2Fort is CTF. Lots of twists and turns, but plenty of arrows and such to point you in the right direction. But I just latched onto a heavy and followed him around.

So yeah, overall good stuff. Though I did have problems finding a server to play on. It seems a lot of servers are forcing a rate command to a level far higher than I can use on dialup (3500 default, these servers were 12000-22000). So...that sucks ass. Had to try like 10 servers before I found one I could play on. Valve needs to either a) make them knock that shit off or b) show more info on servers. If I could sort those out of my list it would be so much better.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 05:58:33 PM »
How many maps does it have?  Remakes of old popular stuff in there, or is it all new?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 06:04:10 PM »
Lets see, I think 6 maps. Theres some classics like 2Fort, some new ones, and some classics that have been radically updated (zomg thats Well?)

And of course Valve is planning more maps. Plus theres several community made maps in the wild already.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 06:50:17 PM »
Good they're planning more.  To me, maps are what make a multiplayer FPS like this.  One of the huuuge reasons I hate CS.  My Quake 2 days were at their peak when I had probably over 40 maps running on my little home server.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2007, 07:41:26 PM »
So yeah, now I've figured out the mystery of why nearly every Valve game is unplayable online for me. Servers are setting minimum rate to broadband levels, which is flooding me, causing my ping to skyrocket, and then the auto-kick for ping scripts kick in and I'm done for.

Shit.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, October 18, 2007, 11:44:54 PM »
On a whim tonight I bought just portal over STEAM tonight and played through in a single sitting... now that was a great little game. I don't even want another game, I just want that thing to keep talking. I know we were all expecting something quirky, but I really don't think anyone expected anything this entertaining. It also struck me as kind of artsy in it's approach to things, which wasn't really expected. Again, I was expecting something a little experimental, but not quite so purposely constructed.

Shoot, that might have been the best game I played all year. Granted, I haven't played a lot, but that's quite the gem. It's not too deep or anything, but it doesn't try to be. It's just one of those games that are pretty near perfect in their own little way.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #63 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 12:45:02 PM »
I too bought the Orange Box.  I haven't played Peggle Extreme yet.  I don't even know what it is.  I also haven't played TF2.  But I did play and beat HL2:E1, HL2:E2, and Portal.  To be completely honest of those three, HL2:E1 was my favorite.

I know everyone knocks HL2 for lack of story and essentially being a string of gimmicks, but it's still a really fun game in an interesting setting.  I'm constantly wow-ed by how well put-together the game is.  The textures are, for the most part, amazing.  The engine is solid and the game really does a good job integrating the physics as one of the core aspects of the game.  The voice acting is pretty good and the facial animations are practically unmatched.  The weapons feel pretty wimpy, but I still find the HL2 gameplay extremely satisfying.

And, no offense, but I find that accusing HL2 of being gimmicky and lauding Portal is one of the most hypocritical things I've ever heard in my life.  The entire Portal game is a gimmick.  That's not to say it's a bad game.  It's not.  It's a really good game, which goes to show you there is nothing wrong with a game being gimmicky.

HL2 justifiably gets a bad rap for the story.  But I never understood the gameplay complaints.  I haven't been as entralled with a game since Majora's Mask.  I called in sick for two days so I could finish HL2, which I did in three days.  I have never called in sick for a game since GTAIII.  I beat EP1 and EP2 in two sittings each, respectively.

I think they were planning the Portal Gun to be in Episode 3....
This sounds pretty likely, given the ending of HL2:EP2.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #64 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 01:10:31 PM »
I think HL2s gameplay is fine, its just some of the pacing and situations are odd/reused too much.

Did you notice the "monster closets" in EP2? There was one place in particular where I was saw just an empty room with a door that zombies came out of. Just had to chuckle since Doom 3 was totally slammed for that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #65 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 02:11:17 PM »
I agree with all of what scott said, but I sort of agree with none of it at the same time.  HL2 *was* fun, and there's no denying that it's a great game.  My problem had nothing to do with the gimmicks.  I mean, the only reason I ever referred to them as gimmicks at all was because of the way they were placed in the game, not because of what they *were*.  The variety in gameplay was very much appreciated and was really refreshing... at least, initially.  As you'd get to a new area you'd always have something fresh, and that was great!  The problem was that you'd then spend the next few hours doing nothing but that "fresh" thing they introduced, and it would veeery, very quickly become stale, redundant, and boring as fuck.  If you took what HL2 is gameplay-wise and tossed it into a big bowl and mixed it up, it would be awesome.  Don't introduce mechanics, overuse them, then abandon them.  IMO, that's bad design and nothing more.

The world is fun, I enjoy the art design (it's sort of slightly generic yet really unique in its little touches at the same time, and it works great in the end), and the production values are sky high.  That's all great stuff.  But there's the aforementioned no-story-whatsoever-problem, and it had the most boring and fucking plastic characters of any game ever (rendering all the amazing voicework and facial animation completely ineffectual).  Seriously, most characters in games interest me even if not terribly well done, but for the first time possibly ever I found myself literally just wanting to shoot them in the face... not because I hated them, but because I was so utterly indifferent to their stupid, whiny, poorly-presented situation that I just wanted to kill them so they'd shut up and I could get on with it.  And all the fucking Gordan-worshiping was the cheesiest and lamest crap I've ever heard, even in context of the original game's story.  Just stupid.  So you take those two and combine them with the aforementioned gameplay-chunks that had you doing the same shit over and over until they threw something new at you... and you have my complaints, plain and simple.

That doesn't mean the game isn't great, and I fully acknowledge all that HL2 did right (can't speak for the episodes because I've no interest in them and haven't tried them), and I even acknowledged that HL2 was a better *game* than Doom 3.  The difference?  For me, Doom 3 was a better experience.  I was just running around shooting stuff, but that was the point, and there was decent enemy variety, great atmosphere, and fun level design.  So while I know full well it wasn't nearly as good a game as HL2, the specific problems with HL2 really hit my sore spots, where Doom 3 didn't.  Doom 3's story was really pretty lame all things considered, but it was still world's better than HL2 simply because HL2 *didn't have one*... and even Doom 3's lame characters were more convincing than those of HL2 simply because they fit the world and were consistent.  It *felt* like a cheesy horror movie with tons of gore and atmosphere and characters who were waiting around to die, and that's basically what it was.  HL2 *felt* like a sprawling epic of gameplay, story, and design... but the fact that it sort of botched the first one via bad pacing and forgot to include the second one somehow, I just couldn't bring myself to truly like it.  I tried to play through it a 2nd time and gave up about four hours in.  Despite popular opinion, I *want* to like HL2 (irregardless of my feelings for Steam, etc.).  I just... can't.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent there.  I really just wanted to address what I meant all the times I called HL2 gimmicky.

And I don't think Portal qualifies as gimmicky, either.  It's built around a concept... that's only a "gimmick" if it's shallow or poorly executed.  If it works, it's a design principle.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #66 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 03:22:46 PM »
I see what you are saying.  HL2 does indeed introduce a concept and then abandon it frequently.  The headcrab monsters, the buggy, the boat, the ant lion pheromone thing, having to move boards and things onto land so you don't step on the ground...  It doesn't really happen in EP1 too much, but it happens again in EP2.  That is definitely a fault.

But I still think the overall experience elevates it well above its failures.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #67 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 03:29:16 PM »
I'd say so as well.  I've never said anyone had poor taste because they liked HL2.  Like I said, it just personally really hurt the enjoyment of the game for me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
I think HL2s gameplay is fine, its just some of the pacing and situations are odd/reused too much.

Did you notice the "monster closets" in EP2? There was one place in particular where I was saw just an empty room with a door that zombies came out of. Just had to chuckle since Doom 3 was totally slammed for that.

I always thought it was cool in the Doom game where monsters just appeared from what seemed to be out of nowhere. But wasn't that Doom's point anyways, since you basically opened the gateway(s) for demons to just teleport their asses into Earth anywhere and anytime they pleased, anyways???

HL Series has always seemed to take elements found straight out of Doom series.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #69 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 10:00:09 PM »
I always thought it was cool in the Doom game where monsters just appeared from what seemed to be out of nowhere. But wasn't that Doom's point anyways, since you basically opened the gateway(s) for demons to just teleport their asses into Earth anywhere and anytime they pleased, anyways???

HL Series has always seemed to take elements found straight out of Doom series.

Yeah I know what you mean, like demons from hell, giant cyborgs with missile launchers for arms and not to forget the floating heads that shot firey balls of death from thier mouths...  wait what? :o

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #70 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 10:05:43 PM »
Actually, when you get down to it, the original Half-life's story is basically exactly the same as Doom 1.  Facility does experiments, experiments go wrong, accidentally teleport in something terrible, terrible thing overruns station, hero runs through station fighting terrible thing, eventually ends up going over to the other side to fight terrible thing.  Virtually identical.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #71 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 10:20:43 PM »
Actually, when you get down to it, the original Half-life's story is basically exactly the same as Doom 1.  Facility does experiments, experiments go wrong, accidentally teleport in something terrible, terrible thing overruns station, hero runs through station fighting terrible thing, eventually ends up going over to the other side to fight terrible thing.  Virtually identical.
Yes, yes, and yes.
Que knew exactly what I was driving at.

Both The Doom Marine and Gordon Freeman NEVER talk many lines of dialogue, either. Barely any, if actually any at all.

Yeah I know what you mean, like demons from hell, not to forget the floating heads that shot firey balls of death from thier mouths...  wait what? :o
Headcrabs leap around and spit venom from their mouths.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #72 on: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 12:57:15 AM »
Well I guess the plots are similar... so what? Neither one is particularly original.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #73 on: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 01:33:28 AM »
Well I guess the plots are similar... so what? Neither one is particularly original.

In cases like this I like to say... bingo bongo. While I was flippant I was avoiding the above observation.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #74 on: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 12:02:14 PM »
I just like to point that out when people start harping about how original Half-life was, that's all.  It's in the details that both Doom and Half-life really stood out.  Iconic imagery, cool levels, fun gameplay.  Still, I do find it a little amusing that Half-life copied the general story formula almost verbatim.  Most people don't think about it because they just think "aliens != demons" and that's where it stops.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #75 on: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »
Yea Im with you that HL wasn't really anything special, hell when I first got it I didn't even play through the game, I got hooked on TFC. What probably rises it above a lot of other FPS games wasnt really so much the plot, but the seamless level progression (aka no actual levels, just loading zones), really cool atmosphere, stunning visuals at the time, and really good AI. It was just one of those cases where everything coalesced together nicely.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 03:21:53 PM »
Hell, I still never finished HL1.
Never even began HL: Blue Shift, either.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 03:37:42 PM »
I actually quite enjoyed HL and the first expansion.  I thought the game was pretty aces... and there was tons of fun multiplayer stuff and mod stuff too (go TFC).  The things HL did that hadn't really been done before were indeed pretty damned cool (there's a sense of excitement there that still hasn't dissipated for me and is why I wanted to like HL2 a hell of a lot more than I did)... it was just when everyone talked about how cool the plot was, I sort of always wanted to say, "Yeah, but isn't it basically just a more modern and mature retelling of Doom?"

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, October 20, 2007, 11:53:24 PM »
I went and bought HL1 the day I read the PCG review. The game was apparently masterful, and I had to have it.

I think I played only a few hours before I was extremely bored. It still wasn't the shooter I was waiting for. Uptill that point in time, there hadn't been many shooters I had actually liked, though I had played the shit out of Doom.

But while I enjoyed games like Hexen, Heretic and Doom, I started to get really bored of the shooter scene -- unless it was against some human opponents. In fact every shooter that had been coming out at the time bored me to no end, and I just couldn't understand why shooters couldn't have a strong narrative.

I think HL1 was a step in the right direction. I was always bothered by how shooters broke the immersion by having health packs, weapons and other crap lying around randomly. Valve's move to have appropriately placed health and weapon points in HL1 was an elementary one, yet did wonders for the immersion factor. The AI in the game was quite good, while the role of the NPCs was another step in the right direction. Yet the game bored me. I personally thought it was vastly overrated and while it did a lot of things right, it hadn't done enough for me to get interested in shooters again. The mindless corridor after corridor of baddies had gotten me yawning.

I think along that time came Aliens vs Predator, which I loved for its violence! That game was awesome. Rainbow Six was amazing in its tense game play. Jedi Knight II was pretty awesome, and I simply loved the first Unreal Tournament.

But the shooter I had been wishing for all my life, turned out to be a hybrid, in the form of Deus Ex.

F.E.A.R. was one of those shooters, that I could play for days, even though it was repetitive. The gameplay and A.I. were exceptional.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 12:59:34 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 12:55:50 AM »
I agree that HL1 is vastly overrated.  Great game, and it did a lot of new things, but it still wasn't perfect, and there were some boring stretches and some areas where the narrative just flopped.

Honestly, the first game to impress me in that arena in a long while was The Darkness.  The story there sucked me in and didn't let go.  I loved every second of it.