Author Topic: I got System Shock 1 to work on XP.  (Read 25798 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
I got System Shock 1 to work on XP.
« on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 11:48:25 AM »
I am a happy man.

EDIT - Any of you who haven't tried this... do so.  You can get it for free these days, and I think it's pretty legit.  Yout can't even find the CD-ROM version of the game for sale anymore, at least not anywhere I've seen.  Runs pretty darn well with VDMS+nolfb+dog4gw1.97 (there's a guide to getting it running over at TTLG.com), and the game is definitely one of the better looking ones for its technology level.  It looks old, but I really don't find it ugly.  The interface is easily the worst part.  It's clunky as all get out.  But you get used to it pretty quick, and it isn't that difficult to sort out.

So yes.  Go play, people.  I know a lot of you missed this one, and there's no reason not to give it a whirl, especially if you liked SS2 or are looking forward to Bioshock.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 12:12:24 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: I got System Shock 1 to work on XP.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 12:24:39 PM »
Its available at The Underdogs if anyone is looking to download.

I never could get into System Shock 2. Not sure what it was...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 01:12:02 PM »
Because you hate games and are begging for death?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »
I wish I could find a copy of SS2....I been wanting that classic for years....

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 01:46:40 PM »
Wow!  Look at that!  I should be selling my copy on eBay.  I didn't realize it was that hard to get.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 02:05:56 PM »
Somebody should jump on those 2 relatively cheap used copies.  That's not bad.  Most used copies go for a lot more than that.

JustAdventure's review always amused me, stating at the end, "Go buy this game.  It'll be $20 well spent."

Anyway, again, I must heartily recommend the original game to people who can't get ahold of SS2, or to anyone looking forward to Bioshock.  Seriously, this game is still very cool and much more robust than other games of its general tech.  Don't be deceived just by looking at some crappy screens.  There's some great atmosphere, one of the best villains in a game ever, and a whole mess of creepy fun.  The controls are wonky as hell, but everything else is top notch.  It isn't too hard to get running on XP either, if my experience is anything to go by.  Just need VDMS, Ken's nolfb.com, the updated 1.97 dos4gw.exe, and an apparently optional mouse .EXE.  It works great for me with VDMS.  Full sound, full res support.  Playing at 640x480 and it runs great!  Since the remake/recode project has been dead for years now, I'd say this is the best bet.

Anyway, it isn't complicated.  It's basically just installing VDMSound and then throwing some crap into a directory.  Easy as pie.
Here's the guide I used, and it seems about right.  Though he mentioned nolfb.exe which doesn't exist, it's nolfb.com (comes in a zip).  Also, I can't get the game to run without an error message about COM ports.  Others have this too.  But if you just click "ignore", the game will minimize to the taskbar and appear to have not worked... but click on it to bring it up and it'll run without a hitch.  Just make sure you download the CD enhanced version, not the disk version.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 02:24:51 PM »
I have the floppy-disk version, which I played when it was first released.  Loved it then.  It was so much better than anything else like it (meaning graphic RPGs and first-person games, because strictly speaking, there was nothing else like it).  I replayed it much later under Windows Me, from the CD version which I think I got from Underdogs (voice--yay).  I remember doing something with config files, but it's been too long.  Anyway, this is one of my favorites from ye olden times.  I hope everyone gives it a shot if they haven't already.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 02:31:12 PM »
Real easy to get it going.  Only have to edit one BAT file to load up the new files you'll throw into the directory, and that's about it.  Runs more or less flawlessly for me at this point, including movies!  And yeah, the voice is really better than I remembered it being.  I can't think of any other game around that time that did it even half as well.  And honestly, this game really doesn't look bad at full screen 640x480.  It isn't fancy, but it's very consistent.  It's surprising how well SS2 followed the same visual style.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
This VDMSound, what exactly is this?

A program to run old games in?
Or some emulation drivers to run old DOS games???

Or what....???

I am trying to run Extreme Pinball on XP, and it just runs SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »
VDMSound is more or less the alternative to DOSbox.  I've never had *any* luck getting DOSbox to work, but VDMS has worked pretty much without a hitch on anything I ever tried.  I highly recommend it.  They have a sourceforge page... just google it or check the link I put up earlier.

Have you ever played SS1 MyD?  Again, if you haven't, you should.  It isn't hard to get running and if you're waiting to get SS2 you have no excuse.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 04:13:25 PM »
VDMSound is more or less the alternative to DOSbox.  I've never had *any* luck getting DOSbox to work, but VDMS has worked pretty much without a hitch on anything I ever tried.  I highly recommend it.  They have a sourceforge page... just google it or check the link I put up earlier.

Have you ever played SS1 MyD?  Again, if you haven't, you should.  It isn't hard to get running and if you're waiting to get SS2 you have no excuse.
Never played it; would love to try SS1...and of course, SS2....

SIDE NOTE:
I just tried running Extreme Pinball w/ VDMSound; the sound works properly now!!!

Though, game still runs....umm.....SLOW....unfortunately....
But, I'm glad it's going right now...somewhat. :)

It's amazing what some programmers and modders can do to get old games working on new OS's, somehow...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 05:12:05 PM »
It is indeed.

Now take advantage.  Screw pinball.  Go download SS1.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 07:41:31 PM »
I have SS2, but I didn't really play it because it creeped me out.  I don't know where the game is now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 08:49:48 PM »
It is indeed.

Now take advantage.  Screw pinball.  Go download SS1.

Hey, Que -- I got Elder Scrolls 1: Arena working and booting in XP, thanks to VDMSound!!

One problem: the mouse, on certain screens, runs ULTRA skecthy, skippy, and not smooth. On other screens, runs fine.

Any clue what to do?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 08:51:11 PM »
Dunno'.  You could try the mouse prog that the SS1 thread suggests.  I have no idea about its specific uses, but you could see if there's a readme.  Or you could try DOSbox and see if that's any better.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 08:53:34 PM »
Dunno'.  You could try the mouse prog that the SS1 thread suggests.  I have no idea about its specific uses, but you could see if there's a readme.  Or you could try DOSbox and see if that's any better.

Could never get DOSBox to run Arena on my Win XP PC.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 08:58:11 PM »
Some things just don't work that great period.  It's just kind of the way of things.  But there are several mouse progs other than the one listed in that thread.  So if that doesn't work, try another.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 08:59:26 PM »
Some things just don't work that great period.  It's just kind of the way of things.  But there are several mouse progs other than the one listed in that thread.  So if that doesn't work, try another.

Now, okay -- once I have the mouse file, so what do I exactly do w/ the mouse file????

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 09:07:43 PM »
Again, I have no idea about its specific uses.  Thought it had a readme, but I don't see one.  Use google, I can't really help.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 11:14:58 PM »
Awesome.
Even more awesome.

Damn it Sy, why did you have to go and stop working at the copy center?  Now I have to pay someone to print these.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 11:29:38 PM »
I've got a pretty decent inkjet here at my home. Given the right paper I should still be able to do a decent print.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 03:55:23 AM »
Wikipedia has its say on SS1.  It's worth a read.  There's a spoiler warning about a third of the way down.  Just scroll past it, because there's more useful stuff at the bottom.  There's a link to Que's guide too, at TTL.

I remember SS1 predating Doom, but that's not the case.  I didn't discover Doom until Summer of 94, but it came out late December of 93.  SS1 came out in March (94), according to Wikipedia, so it makes sense why I feel SS1 came before Doom.

I know I took a couple of screenies when I played the CD-ROM version, but I'll be damned if I can find them.  Not important.  As was said, the game has to be seen in action.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 06:58:12 AM »
I'm amazed how creepy it still manages to be, funky graphics and all.  I've actually been pretty jumpy playing through the 3rd floor and the reactor level.  Damn!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »
So sad.  This stopped working for me today, and I've no idea why.  Just won't run.  =(  Oh well.  I guess I'll never get to remember how it ended.

On to System Shock 2!

(fuck, why isn't BioShock just out yet so I don't have to put myself through the hell of trying to get these to run?)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, August 12, 2007, 07:09:17 PM »
So sad.  This stopped working for me today, and I've no idea why.  Just won't run.  =(  Oh well.  I guess I'll never get to remember how it ended.

Well, from what I've read online, the newest version of DOSBox supports SS1 -- since namely DOSBox Version .065.

You might wanna try running it in DOSBox instead of VDMSound, if worst comes to worst.

Hope it works for you -- good luck w/ it!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #25 on: Monday, August 13, 2007, 04:59:35 AM »
Wow!  Look at that!  I should be selling my copy on eBay.  I didn't realize it was that hard to get.
I bought a used, disc-only copy of SS2 off eBay some years ago for $30.  Then two weeks later I saw it new-in-retail-box for $10 at some place in or near Tri-County mall.

I contemplated buying it and selling it on eBay.  It would have gone for $50 easy.  I don't know why I didn't.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, May 21, 2009, 03:56:51 PM »
I have a copy of SS2 laying around somewhere. (not legit) I got my hands on it years after release and toyed around with it a little bit, and was pretty impresses (even after having experienced some Deus Ex). I can't say much for the first one, but I was able to appreciate the second one despite it being very aged. I think the copy I have is from when someone was trying to convince me to play through it with him in coop. I agreed, but we never actually did it.

GOG.com needs the rights to release these. Not just so I can get easy to use working copies, but so other peopel can enjoy them and see what they've been missing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 06:23:28 AM »
Malba Tahan's Mouselook and Higher-Res Mod for the original System Shock
RockPaperShotgun takes a look at this mod for the original SS.

Vid of Malba's mod in action.
Watch the vid.

Forum About The SS Mod - Where You Can Go Download It
Malba Tahan's Mouselook and Higher-Res Support Mod for the original SS.

Here's what RPS said about the mod.
This is a big one. No, really. News reached me via Qt3 that Malba Tahan – henceforth known as Saint Malba Tahan – has created a mod for the original System Shock. As well as letting you configure keys and plays with resolution, it adds mouse-look to the game. System Shock is, frankly, one of the most important videogames of all time, and the difficulty in actually learning its pre-mouse-look controls the biggest impediment to people going back and play it now. With Malba’s work, that’s gone. Go see Jim write here to get an overview of the wonder of Shock and then, assuming you can get hold of a copy, go get the mod here.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 07:08:15 AM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
Cool.  I'd have a lot of work to do to get Shock 1 to work at all now, if I wanted to try this out.  Tracking down the CD version I dumped somewhere would be Step 1.  I don't think I've ever used DOS Box.  Maybe I tried it out of curiosity once.  I suppose some enterprising soul out there will spoonfeed the rest of us eventually with everything needed, including the CD version of the game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »
Man, I love that game.  This is awesome news.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »
I knew you guys would like this news. :)

I remember how great it was when Source Engine ports of Doom and Hexen added modern-day mouse-look feature to the game.

I figured you'd guys love to hear the same for original System Shock. Now, someone tell GOG to punch EA in the face and have them work their magic and making it run on modern OS's. Man, it'd be great to see someone like EA join GOG. Why not?

Yeah, why not, EA? Activision joined...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 04:35:29 AM »
System Shock 1: Enhanced Edition released on GOG.
Extra support added for 1024x768 resolution; improved inventory management + item management; mouselook mode; re-mappable controls; etc etc.
System Shock 1: Classic Edition also comes w/ this, if you want to really kick it old-school w/out the additional features listed above.

System Shock 1: Enhanced Edition (GOG version) = $7.99 ($9.99) [20% off]

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »
Saw that this morning ... very cool.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, September 24, 2015, 11:04:30 AM »
Whaaaa! Don't have much interest in playing it, but wouldn't mind seeing a playthrough just to see the story unfold.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, September 24, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
In some ways I would say this is a much better game than SS2.