Author Topic: 1984 much?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
1984 much?
« on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »

so, is this shit going to far? first time i saw the first one, all i could think about was what the most fitting graffiti i could scrawl across it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: 1984 much?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »
Wow, those ads are horrible. But those last 2....welcome to Chicago. They have police cameras up all over the place. Another reason I hate going into the city.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 07:05:11 PM »
i think i heard a statistic saying that there are more security cameras in the UK than in the rest of the world combined. it's not so much stuff like that (ok, well it kind of is), but in this case more the fact that the government feels the need to tell us "we're watching you".

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »
Yeah, that's creepy as hell.  Especially that last one.  What the fuck?  Who could possibly think that was a good idea?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »
Wow, I look at that last one and the first thing that springs to mind is V For Vendetta.. then 1984.

I think civilians, worldwide not just in the UK, are beginning to surrender too much liberty in the name of security.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 10:31:53 AM »
V for Vendetta and Children of Men are what struck me when I saw those.

Fucking creepy.

People are so scared nowadays.  So fucking scared.  RELAX.  If it is your time.. it's your time.  Don't get me wrong, if I happen to see someone setting up a bomb on a train, I think I'd do something about it.  But I'll be damned if I'm looking for it every time I get on there.  Life's too short to live in fear.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »
I kind of agree. But at the same time. You're in public, anyone can see you, so whats the difference if some cameras can too? I don't mind if you can see me on camera at a mall or something, but that is where I draw the line. When shit like this starts to impede on my privacy, that is when I get pissed.   

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 01:02:55 PM »
In public space it kinda makes sense. But how much more before monitoring citizens moves into invasion of privacy?

The idea is best summerizd by Foucault's "Eye of Power" it's all bout the idea (rather than the reality) that we are being watched. If a watchtower stands amid a group of people, whether or not they can actually see anyone in it at all, the assumption is that they are watched.

I believe in moderation. We can't give up security or liberty absolutely, we have to find a middleground and maintain it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:15:29 AM »
Yeah, that's creepy as hell.  Especially that last one.  What the fuck?  Who could possibly think that was a good idea?
Reminds me of some of those WWII and especially 50's U.S. propaganda posters.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 17, 2009, 10:40:41 AM »
I know thw ones you're talking about but this was the first thing that popped into my mind:

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 17, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »
i think i heard a statistic saying that there are more security cameras in the UK than in the rest of the world combined. it's not so much stuff like that (ok, well it kind of is), but in this case more the fact that the government feels the need to tell us "we're watching you".

Yeah, i've heard something along the same lines.  The vast majority of them are privately owned (apparently) by security firms hired out by stores and shit but still.....that's fucked.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 17, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »
Coming to a North America near you.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Friday, April 17, 2009, 11:03:36 PM »
Yeah, i've heard something along the same lines.  The vast majority of them are privately owned (apparently) by security firms hired out by stores and shit but still.....that's fucked.

It is just supposed to act as a deterrent. It is supposed to scare the extremists into thinking that they could possibly be under watch.

With UK under near constant threat, maybe it isn't such a bad idea -- if it works.