Author Topic: If you don't see me post much in the next few days...  (Read 1747 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
If you don't see me post much in the next few days...
« on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 03:58:16 PM »
...it's b/c my grandfather passed away yesterday.  :( 82 years of age. This sucks. I've been a (train) wreck here and there, since yesterday.

We all knew it was coming (liver cancer, stage 4), but not *this* soon -- doc's projected that it was expected for him to last 6 months to a year from now, but that didn't even happen.

Friday's the wake.

Oh, I'm also gonna be a pall bearer at the funeral, this weekend...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: If you don't see me post much in the next few days...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »
I am really sorry to hear about this brother. You will be missed, and I hope you are OK.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »
Thanks, man. It's highly appreciated.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »
I'm so sorry, D.  May your grandfather rest in peace.  Never a good time for this, but over a major holiday it's the worst.  Best wishes to you and your family.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »
You have my condolences. God bless.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 06:19:33 PM »
I'm so sorry, D.  May your grandfather rest in peace.  Never a good time for this, but over a major holiday it's the worst.  Best wishes to you and your family.
Thanks, Cobra. Much appreciated, brother.

Yeah, I wish this didn't happen at all. You're right -- even worse that it's happening now, around the holidays -- 'cause this is not what anybody wants to find out; a loved one dying around what (for many) is the happiest time of the year -- Turkey Day, Christmas, New Year's, etc etc. I usually go down to my grandparent's house (mom's side of the family) to visit for most holidays, since I've been born -- Turkey Day, Christmas, Easter, etc etc. I bet every time I go down there, it's gonna feel like a vital part of those days is missing; even though I'm sure he'll still be there.

A lot of co-workers are using like their time off -- like vacation days, personal days, sick time, and what-have-you; happens every year in late Nov to throughout all of December.  It's just not gonna be pretty at work, either.

Nobody can really win.

You have my condolences. God bless.
Keeb, thank you. Much appreciated, brother.

While I'm at it, I want to thank everybody for their support throughout this ordeal. And for that matter, thanks for being here, throughout all of these years, from my IGN posting days all the way up to...well, we're we are at now; and probably also where we will be down the line (wherever that might be).

I'm sure I'll be around in full swing again, soon enough -- just it will be not-so-much these next few days.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your Granddad, MyD. Cancer is painful on the inflicted and their families. It's like you suddenly see the clock ticking out, and knowing doesn't make it any easier.

On the bright side, he's not in pain anymore. May he rest in peace.

My condolences to you and your family, D.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 08:02:40 PM »
Sucks man.  I know how hard it can be.  Just be thankful you've still got a close-knit family to turn to, and a place like this that, for all of our tomfoolery, you can always go to vent.  I hope your holidays aren't too much the worse for it, for no matter how hard the loss now, the memory of those past happy days will be with you for a time perhaps double or even triple their measured duration.  Hang in there.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your Granddad, MyD. Cancer is painful on the inflicted and their families. It's like you suddenly see the clock ticking out, and knowing doesn't make it any easier.

On the bright side, he's not in pain anymore. May he rest in peace.

My condolences to you and your family, D.
Thank you very much for the kinds words and all, Xessive.

Quote from: Que
Sucks man.  I know how hard it can be.  Just be thankful you've still got a close-knit family to turn to, and a place like this that, for all of our tomfoolery, you can always go to vent.  I hope your holidays aren't too much the worse for it, for no matter how hard the loss now, the memory of those past happy days will be with you for a time perhaps double or even triple their measured duration.  Hang in there.
Que - thanks, man.

Even though I like the genre, I was never major fan of the Western flick/TV show -- that is probably since they don't make many of those these days, dammit (yeah, that don't help matters) -- and for that matter, on a tangent, they don't make many games that take place in the Western setting either, dammit! Y'know, it would've been interesting if that Western-setting based RPG-fantasy game that was planned to be based off Deadlands IP ever got made by Reflexive Entertainment (which was going to use the SPECIAL System), even though it got canceled.

Okay, back on subject to those Western flicks/TV shows he liked...Just about every time I went to my grandfather's house -- whether he was in his very own room or in the living room w/ everyone else -- on TV was either sports, the news, or most likely a Western. He loved those Western flicks to death; the old ones, the modern ones (i.e. Tombstone, The Proposition, Open Range), HBO TV series Deadwood, TV series The Rifleman, all the John Wayne ones, etc etc -- he loved all that stuff. I don't think there was a Western he probably hasn't seen, hehe! Every time I see a Western on TV or a movie, I think of him. I definitely think this'll probably ring true more so now than ever...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that and I know you're having a hard time right now but you have to understand you have obligations here.  Can you at least text in some updates on some games?  Not just the ones I care about, but also the ones I've never heard of before.

RIP GrandMyD

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that and I know you're having a hard time right now but you have to understand you have obligations here.  Can you at least text in some updates on some games?  Not just the ones I care about, but also the ones I've never heard of before.
LMAO @ the bold. :)
Thanks for the laugh. Definitely needed that. :)

Yeah, all the usual MyD posts about games people never cared about and me posting links of say some games people never heard of....are going to be....well, probably delayed for a little bit of time. hehe!

RIP GrandMyD
Much appreciated, bro. Thanks. :)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
Sorry to hear that man. My condolences.

I know how ya feel. I lost my Pop around this time last year. It was the worst year of my life. This year has been a little better. But I miss him just as much.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 06:53:32 AM »
Sorry to hear that man. My condolences.
Much appreciated.

I know how ya feel. I lost my Pop around this time last year. It was the worst year of my life. This year has been a little better. But I miss him just as much.
That's awful that you lost him, man -- especially around the Holidays.
I'm glad this year's been better for you and all, but man -- still sucks he's gone and all. :(

It was kind of depressing at first yesterday for Turkey Day, down my grandmom's house -- all the sadness and whatnot was going on, for a bit (as expected) b/c my grandfather's gone and all. We all were still taking in all this and digesting it. It's the first Turkey Day without him -- something felt...missing.

But after a while, it got back to normal (as much as it could) without him, all of us in the usual family chit-chat, laughter, joking around, etc etc -- and time flew. It was pretty good, but damn -- yeah, still something was something was missing....

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #13 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 12:14:15 PM »
Sorry to hear about that, D. It's a painful process and I wish your family all the best as they go through it. My grandmother died of cancer a couple of years ago and it's a long and painful disease, so my thoughts and prayers go out to you.