Author Topic: DVD to MP3? Question.  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
DVD to MP3? Question.
« on: Tuesday, December 12, 2006, 11:31:25 PM »
Okay, so what I'd like to do is get the audio layers off a DVD and make MP3s out of them.  The idea is that there are a bunch of commentaries I'd like to listen to and don't really have time for, and that'd make for excellent stuff to listen to at work.  So would there be any way to do such a thing?  I really hadn't thought about it until a few minutes ago and am desperate for something new to listen to at work.  Gaming podcasts are really starting to all sound the same about now (except for PCG), I've listened to all the music I own eight hundred billion times, and I need to figure something out before my head implodes or I shank someone.  So any help on this matter would be appreciated.  I *assume* this is possible, but I'm rather dumb when it comes to this kind of thing.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: DVD to MP3? Question.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 12, 2006, 11:36:08 PM »
Should be quite possible. I know some DVD ripping/divx encoding tutorials have you encode the audio separately to MP3. Though I dont have any particular examples here...

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 12, 2006, 11:36:25 PM »
VLC: File>Streaming/Transcode Wizard>Transcode files.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, December 12, 2006, 11:59:40 PM »
Only thing I've really done is using DVD Decrypter and PSPvideo9 to get DVDs into nice little files I can watch on my PSP at work.  But I can't afford a nice big stick, so that option is always rather limited.  MP3s on the other hand... I could have hours of content at my disposal all on a nice little CD.  I didn't know VLC could do this directly... I'll give that a whirl.  Thanks for the quick responses.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 01:35:11 AM »
Well, I can't seem to get VLC to work.  Anything I choose comes out weird.  MP3 stuff comes out skippy and slowed down, MPEG Audio comes out normal but with big skips where it tries to jump ahead of itself.  I have no idea.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 03:32:39 AM »
Yeargh... Maybe this'll work? (I tested it, it seemed to.)

Open the DVD with VLC, go to the title you want to transcode, then stop playback. Use the Transcode wizard, choose "existing playlist item" and select DVD from the list. Click Next, then select both transcode video and transcode audio. Select the dummy video codec (at any bitrate) and either the MPEG audio codec or MP3 audio codec. Click next and choose the MPEG 1 container format. Choose the path to save, and you'll probably want to deselect the local playback option.

You could also extract the VIDEO_TS folder, and transcode the .vob files one at a time.

I think this only transcodes each title section one at a time, so you might need to do it several times to get the entire Disc.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 07:43:45 AM »
Yeah, I fiddled with it and didn't really get any particularly satisfactory results, so I just went to a program that actually does this as its sole purpose.  Much, much, much easier.  Got about 3 disks done.  Hooray!  Thanks again for the help anyway, it had been a long time since I'd so much as looked at VLC.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 10:35:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can use DVD Decrypter to rip out just the audio stream you want.  Then you can use Besweet to convert the resulting AC3 stream to MP3.

These pages might help:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/dvddec.htm
http://dspguru.doom9.net/

Edit:  I see you figured it out, but I'll leave my post up in case anyone cares to know.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 08:56:03 PM »
I appreciate the info anyway.  This stuff is always interesting when I have the time for it.  However, having a program to instantly do it (in literally like 2 clicks, no converting needed) is the better option, heh.  But yeah... I'm juiced.  Got all the commentaries from NewsRadio seasons 1 and 2 and listened to them at work.  It was awesome.  Going to do seasons 3 and 4 tonight.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 09:49:46 PM »
Any reason you're not mentioning the program by name?  I'm curious.  I've ripped many a DVD, but never cared to extract audio streams only.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 10:41:27 PM »
No reason.  It's DVD Audio Ripper 4 by Xilisoft.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 14, 2006, 02:20:22 PM »
Cool.  Xilisoft and Allok make a plethora of audio and video format converters.  I found this out looking for a 3GP video converter to get video into my cell phone.  These things are pretty painless to use.