Author Topic: Snow Day!!! (with pics)  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Antares

• Veteran
Snow Day!!! (with pics)
« on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 12:37:50 PM »
Weeee.

Work was shut down at noon yesterday, and completely cancelled today.  I was the only one of 5 people on my team at work including my boss that showed up for work at all.  Pretty much the entire state is paralyzed today, all the major highways are still closed and will be until this evening. The plows havent even started to dig out the side streets yet, according to the news they probably won't get to them until late tonight or sometime tomorrow..  It started snowing yesterday morning around 6am and came along with 30-40mph winds that sustained through the night. It is still snowing pretty hard, although around 10:00am the wind stopped so now it is snowing rather pleasantly.  It is supposed to stop around 3 this afternoon.

Pics:

My cat playing on my balcony yesterday afternoon.  He had fun for about 30 seconds and decided snow was cold and came back inside

The view from my apartment at around 2pm yesterday.  I had a rocking snow cornice going for about 3 hours, but it fell before it had a chance to get truly impressive

My neighbors' both survived to be pretty impressive through.

Up Close

My parking Lot.  There is actually a car under that mound on the left.  Someone dug his way out of the center spot this morning, but most people haven't bothered yet.

Trees.

There is a Mazda Miata under there.

From the other side.

Hampden Avenue.  Normally a busy thoroughfare, but virtually deserted today, people are just starting to venture out though, when I was taking pictures someone cruised by riding a snow machine down the highway.

The Cemetary across the road from my apartment, all but the highest tombstones are completely covered.  It looks like an empty field.

Hampden again.

Why.... what a lovely murder of crows...

They are everywhere in my parking lot.  Some dumbass feeds them, and did again this morning so they're busy eating all the seed.  It would be awesome, except big ass crows leave big ass crow shit on all the cars in the parking lot.

More Crows, the bird in the foreground to the right is actually a falcon.

I had to abandon my car at a park and ride about 2 miles from my house yesterday afternoon.  I took the train to work as I normally do, but by the time I got back to my car at around 11:45 am It was already buried in, and the road was undriveable because so many cars were stranded.  I left it there and walked about 2 miles home.  Luckily I was prepared and it was more of an adventure than anything.  Sometime today I think I'll head back and try to retrieve the car since I'm sure I'll have to be at work on friday.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 04:36:45 PM by Antares »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Snow Day!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 12:47:49 PM »
I love snow. Getting drunk and going sledding is great. In order for me to get a snow day from school, though, it needs to be snowing a foot an hour.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »
Are you going to have to dig out that car?

Heh. The homes totally look like ski village condos. I know you live in Colorado. Is that just the general style there or are you lucky enough to live in a ski village?

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 12:58:33 PM »
The apartment complex is called "The Lodge" so it's kind of the theme around here to look like a ski village.

I won't have to dig out that miata, but my Mini isn't any bigger so I'll be doing that once I find the energy.  I don't have a snow shovel, and even if I did I'd have to lug it the 2 miles to where the car is parked.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 01:30:41 PM »
Wow... that's a lot of snow.

I mean, I live in Calgary, and we get snow every year, but it's rare to see like 10 inches of snow fall.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 02:34:22 PM »
We rarely get more than 6" or so at at time here, especially in the city.  Of course the closer to the foothills and mountains you get the more snow  you get.  We got around 2' here in around 24 hours.  Metro Denver only sees a snowstorm like this once every few years.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 02:38:36 PM »
Wish me luck.  I'm going for my car.  I'll post pics if I come across anything impressive.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Snow Day!!! (with pics)
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 08:16:13 PM »
Lucky...it was nothing but rainy/drizzly shit all day today. I wanted snow...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 11:00:31 PM »
I want it to snow here so bad, I haven't seen it since I was in high school and it was only a little bit then.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 11:25:21 PM »
I didn't know you are from Denver, Antares!

I go to school in DC, but I live in Littleton. 

My flight for home is for tomorrow.  I am sincerely hoping they open the airport.  The soonest open flights are on December 27th.  So I would be spending Christmas in DC alone in a hotel.  Haha.

Great pictures.  I have seen quite a few from friends.  I really wish I could have been there..
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 12:37:50 AM »
Totally awesome.  It's like another world to me.  I've been in snow 3 times in life, only 2 of those in adult life, and only one of which I remember in any detail at all, and even that is pretty fuzzy.  Amazing pictures.

Still, I'm a bigger fan of rain than snow.  Snow is awesome, but rain is my favorite thing in the universe.  I walked home from the subway last night and it was pouring.  I used my umbrella for a little while to keep my backpack dry, but eventually I just put it away and enjoyed the wetness.  It's about 20 minutes to my house, so I got completely soaked and loved every minute of it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 05:24:30 AM »
I like being in the rain as well, but only when it is warm enough outside to enjoy.

Shock, from what I hear the airport should open this morning. I got up good and early because I figured my commute was going to be a nightmare.  THe news is saying it is going ot be windy today but it looks like most stuff is open today. 

Good thing because I need to finish my christmas shopping.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 08:44:09 AM »
Man, and I thought Cincy winters could get bad.  I'm never moving to Colorado.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, December 23, 2006, 07:29:23 AM »
i want snow!!!!!!!!!!!! ahh to have a white christmas.. 
Taken.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #14 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 12:32:01 PM »
I hate you so very very much. I love snow. I am the biggest fan of snow in the world. It always makes me so happy and everything, but we've gotten jack shit in Boston. Nothing. Actually, it's been unseasonably warm here.

*shakes fist at global warming*