Author Topic: Check out this totally original game! I have never seen anything like it before!  (Read 1369 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
CraftWorld!

Yeah.

Ok, I'm not against Minecraft clones. I love the hell out of Minecraft, but you've got to be able to do something unique with the concept for people to bother. Why would I buy another Minecraft if I already have the original? This one has different lighting and some physics stuff. Ok, great...what does that add to the gameplay? No one is playing Minecraft for its looks, after all.

For example, someone on reddit mentioned a good idea. If you implement physics then take a page out of the LittleBigPlanet design. Add springs, levers, pulleys, rope, pistons, etc that the player can place and manipulate. MC is all about building but you can't do complicated machinery. So...give us the tools to make machinery and now you've got something!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Check out this totally original game! I have never seen anything like it before!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 21, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
Straight ripoffs are always kind of lame, but I have to say, I love the way the lighting looks in those screens.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Check out this totally original game! I have never seen anything like it before!
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 08:08:45 AM »
Craftworld although still under development, runs on three platforms, and will be for sale on these three shortly, with others later. These are:

Xbox 360
– Windows Phone 7
– Windows PC

That's why people will bother, unless Persson jumps ahead.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 01:49:11 PM »
Cubelands:

FortressCraft:

Not sure about Cubelands, but FortressCraft is going to be an XBLIG release.

I have to say, I love the way the lighting looks in those screens.

Minecraft now has an advanced lighting option. It's much smoother than the old lighting engine, where each face had the same lighting all the way across it. I'll see if I can grab a couple comparison shots.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »
Default (old) lighting:

New lighting option turned on:

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »
Looks nice.  I should really download this again when I have the time.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 01:27:15 PM »
Apparently FortressCraft failed peer review. I think he can submit it again, but who knows.