Author Topic: The Pink Eye  (Read 964 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
The Pink Eye
« on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
So, this dude shows up to work today with pink eye.  Why?  Because he's an idiot since I was always under the impression you don't leave your house with the most contagious disease ever.  So, I totally left at noon after avoiding him all day (I kind of needed the time off for an essay anyways), but I'd say even after being yelled at by like three of us he'll probably be stupid enough to come back in tomorrow.  My plan if he does is to leave and go work at another location, but all that aside, has anybody here ever had pink eye? Should I really be that worried?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: The Pink Eye
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »
I hate it when people do that, there's this guy I work with that never calls in when he gets sick, that's admirable but you have sick pay for a reason.  He had the flu a couple of months ago and was coughing and sneezing like crazy without covering his mouth and got me and 4 other people that sat near him sick.

As for the pink eye, I can remember getting it when I was a kid and giving it to one of my brothers, but we shared a room so that was inevitable, it wasn't too bad just kind of annoying for a couple of days.  I don't think you should be too worried if you keep your distance from him.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
It's not that contagious if you are careful, but there's always the possibility that he could give it to you even if you take precautions. Whatever you do, don't let him stick his fingers in your eyes. That would probably be bad.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
My roommate got pink eye and I didn't realize for a week. Somehow nothing happened to me.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »
I got it one summer about 20 years ago, when I was into swimming laps every day during lunchtime at a rec center close to work.  It's a pain, but nothing to get too worried about.  You put some drops in the affected eye(s) daily until it goes away.  I did need to see a doctor.

It's transfered by direct contact, not over the air.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 06:25:33 PM »
The movie Knocked Up describes a (the?) cause for pink eye.  I don't care to describe it here.  I have no idea if it's true or not, but if so... I'm glad I've never had it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 09:17:40 PM »
I just did a bit of e-research. While not the only cause of pink eye, it appears it most likely is a valid one.  Sick.

I figured it was direct contact, but that's kind of how it spreads anyways.  Someone touches their eye, touches some object, you touch that object, you touch your eye 20 min later. 

I'll probably just avoid him.