Author Topic: Governments pay CNN to control content?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Governments pay CNN to control content?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 24, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
Judging by some of the other articles on that site, I believe they buy tin foil in bulk. Not to say what they are saying in this case is wrong but it's hard to take them seriously.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 24, 2014, 11:42:40 PM »
Yeah I agree. I looked at it more deeply after posting it. That being said, this sort of news would probably be against the interests of any mainstream news source, considering they all probably take part in a similar practice.

It is like this in many countries, from what I understand.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 25, 2014, 12:21:23 AM »
Yeah, thats true. If everyone else is in on it then who would report it?

News is weird.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 25, 2014, 01:45:07 AM »
Yeah for example the biggest most powerful news channels here are 'sympathetic' towards specific political parties, so they spill the dirt on each other.

Now, say for example they were bought by one political party rather than many, it would be against their interests for the information to get out. I know I may sound like a conspiracy theory nut, but it has become common knowledge.

Of course, governments have used media for propaganda most openly during war because it is the most acceptable. The people of these nations accept the propaganda as patriotism. Now, what happens when nations aren't at war. Do they suddenly lose this special relationship with media organizations?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 25, 2014, 07:40:08 AM »
I've turned into a paranoid conspiracy nut over the last few years. There are a lot of crackpot sites out there, but if you wiggle around enough to find a legitimate source (and there often is one, buried beneath it all), there are a lot of unsettling things to be confirmed. Either way, this wouldn't surprise me in the least.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 25, 2014, 04:10:24 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me either. These days I assume that most agencies are there to just promote one particular opinion, wether it's because that's the view they have or because they are being paid. Got to look at multiple sources to get a more complete picture of any story.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 25, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
Isn't it interesting that Fox News may have a legitimate place after all?