Author Topic: Pops passed away the other day  (Read 3775 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Pops passed away the other day
« on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
So, my dad had Parkinsons Plus plus a small handful of other obscure neurological conditions and was deteriorating at a steady clip.  He was for all intensive purposes completely physically crippled and quickly losing his mental cognitive abilities.  Although he was diagnosed a couple years ago, it was apparent that something was wrong quite a bit earlier, although probably only to him and myself.   The last few years probably weren't great for any of us as he had always been very active physically and socially and hadn't been able to enjoy virtually any of the activities that he loved in his later years.

On Thursday evening I made him some of one of his favorite deserts: Icebox cake, and drove it over to my parent's place.  He had just gone to bed but we asked him if he wanted to get up and he did.  He was super pumped, and we got him out of bed and had some cake.  I put him back in bed, shook his hand, and told him I'd see him on the weekend.  He thanked me for the cake and said, very clearly and coherently (kinda rare lately): "Thanks Gregg!  See you on the weekend!".

At lunch the next day I got a call from my mom. She had taken him out to try a new restaurant and he had choked.  He was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital.  The last thing I heard was that he was breathing when they loaded him up.  I left work to meet her at the hospital.

His heart stopped in the ambulance. We had all talked about it with him previously and had gotten a non-resuscitation order for him: Basically saying that if his heart stopped no advanced measures would be taken to bring him back. In the commotion my mother didn't give the paramedics the order and they revived him.  His heart stopped again in the hospital for fifteen minutes, and again they revived him before either of us arrived.   He was now stable and alive, but didn't have the strength to fully breath on his own.  A re-breather had been affixed prior to us arriving and we opted to leave it in until my sister could arrive from Toronto.  She got on a plane immediately.  We all essentially knew what was happening: we'd pull it and he'd die shortly thereafter.

The hospital was amazing and provided us a "comfort room", which was essentially a private waiting room.  Our palliative care doctor was contacted and she put us in contact with her colleague at the hospital to make sure he was comfortable throughout the wait. Family and friends from our "west coast branch" came and waited with us, and eventually we all got some time to spend with him - both as a group and individually and I am extremely thankful for that.  Eventually my sister arrived just before midnight, and we all said goodbye as a group.

Everyone else left, the technician and doctor came in and warned us it might not be pretty.  They pulled the re-breather as my mom held him and my sister and I each took one of his hands.  He took it like a champ and didn't flinch or gasp when they pulled the tube.  He hung in there, my mom lifted his eye lid to see his eyes one last time and cradled him.  Eventually the breathing got more shallow and he just stopped.   I tried not to cry like a bitch.

Honestly, as sad as it is when someone dies and I worry about my mother, I couldn't be more happy with how things went. Everything just lined up so perfectly - I had a chance to see him at his best the night before and surprise him, he had a great day and was in a great  mood leading up to it, he went out eating a delicious sandwich, and he held on until my sister could say goodbye and I could finally tell him what he meant to me. He went out peacefully, comfortably, and surrounded by loved ones and I don't think you could ask for anything more.

I'm mainly just posting this to get my girly feelings out, but I also really want to thank K-man for stressing the importance of telling people how you feel while you have the chance.  I personally didn't take it up, even though I actually thought of it while I closed the door his last night alive - I didn't want to "ruin" his good mood with a depressing topic. I did eventually get it in, even if it was only for me (although I personally will hold on to the belief that he could hear what I had to say).   Thanks again, buddy.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Pops passed away the other day
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »
Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 08:18:39 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this my friend. When I saw both my grandparents pass away, it was a similar, where they took off the official life support stuff and we watched them go.

I hope you manage well during the next few days. Lots of brotherly hugs.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »
That really sucks, man, but like you said, and I think you're entirely right, that's probably as good as it could go. My dad died in a very similar manner, though it was a little traumatizing for me since I was the one giving him CPR when his heart stopped. He was helping my uncle's family (his brother in law) move into a new place, as were the rest of us, and I think had just finished eating a burger. My aunt saw him pass out and slip to the floor (an experience I now know is pretty peaceful, as it happened to me in the shower when I discovered my heart condition), and I started giving him CPR right away. I saved his life, or so they told me, but it wasn't enough to keep his brain okay by the time the EMTs showed up. He never woke up, and we eventually had to pull the plug. And though it's still one of the worst experiences of my life, I'm grateful that it was quick and painless for him, his last conscious moments were with family members who loved him, and we all got to say goodbye.

Shit, and now I'm crying. We just passed the ... I think 11th anniversary of his passing, or 12th, maybe. I'm blanking on the exact year. It was January 23rd. This is the first year I didn't take a shot of Jameson/Bushmills/Tullamore/anything Irish in his honor, which I usually do on the day he passed and on his birthday (I still have a fond memory of when Idol took a shot with the rest of us like a champ at one of the meets, out of a bottle of Aimee's Bushmills).

Sorry, now I'm just rambling about my own shit. All I really wanted to say was that I think you're right, there's something to be said for the note your dad ended on, and from my own experience, that's a damned reassuring thing in the face of that kind of loss. My best to your family, and to you.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that man.  It's good you were able to make a nice memory with him on the Thursday night you visited him.  My condolences to you and your family.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
You have my condolences, man. I wish you and your family all the strength to make it through this trial.

By the way, Kendall's mom just passed away as well.

You two have my sincere condolences, it has been a rough couple of months.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »
I'm so sorry, Gregg.  Nothing is harder than losing close family.  You have my heartfelt sympathy.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 12:57:18 AM »
This thread is making me cry thinking of my own grandparents.

I remember when my grandmother was going, my mother asked the doctor if there was something he could do, and he said, "Look at her. She is going to heaven so beautifully. Do you want to change that?"

Anyway, if you need us, we are here for you. I am glad your father's final moments were with family. 

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 02:02:34 AM »
It's good to hear how he went, but I'm sorry for your loss anyway. I've had very little experience with death, so I really can't say I know what you're going through at all, but I'm sure it's rough.

Offline ender

« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »
Sorry for your loss, it has to be tough. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »
Man. What a weekend. Sorry for your loss. At least it's good to hear that things went as nicely as they could.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
My condolences gpw. :(

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »
Aww, shit, man. I feel for you. It's okay to cry like a bitch.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, it really does mean quite a bit.  People have been really great and my mom is getting a ton of support right now, which is awesome. 

I'm more and more relieved that he's finally free now the more that I think about it, but at the same time it's slowly setting in that I missed some opportunities I really shouldn't have, especially because I knew his time was short for the last few years.  I guess that's life though, and there's not much I can do about that.

Anyways, thanks again, back to planning a drunken Irish wake.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 09:55:27 PM »
Also, I'm trying really hard but I might fucking murder my sister.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
gpw12?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »
Hahaha.  That was probably him.  I was going to send this out to some of my friends to commemorate my father's life-long love of no-holds barred deathmatches with sandwiches (all things considered he had an excellent record), but can't figure out if it's in poor taste.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 09:57:27 AM »
umm... is that your dad?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »
Yeah, too much, eh?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »
hahaha it is cute... :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 05:38:10 PM »
Looks pretty epic to me. Especially with the hat.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »
Sorry for your loss, gpw. You might remember that I went through almost the same exact thing with my dad three years ago: debilitating brain illness, death, relief, and remorse. If you ever want to talk just hit me up on PM.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 11:29:59 PM »
Epic indeed.  Also, Thanks Scott, I do remember that and I appreciate it.