Author Topic: Mouse and nunchuk control for X360  (Read 865 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Mouse and nunchuk control for X360
« on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 07:14:11 AM »
This has all my attention.  I wonder how well it works.  That would depend on the smarts that translate mouse movement to right joystick input.  It still can't be as direct as a real PC mouse, but I can see it working well with the proper input handling.  It certainly is the best-looking attempt at console mouse control that I have seen yet.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Mouse and nunchuk control for X360
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 07:26:28 AM »
I saw this. The fact that this is third party hardware means it just won't get the support.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 07:47:40 AM »
yeah, saw the same article last night and did a bit of digging. the controller is adjusted for sensitivity, button layout etc, on your pc, then you plug the dongle into the console with the settings saved.

i can't imagine it being perfect since the output from the game is designed for analogue sticks, but with the right settings, it could certainly be a step up from a standard controller. there's a ps3 version that has received favourable opinion, so you never know - this might actually be ok.

pug - it doesn't need support from game devs since it just emulates the functions on the 360 controller.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 09:22:25 AM »
After using the Splitfish FragFX for the PS3 I'm not too keen on this. What they're forgetting is that hardware is only half the problem, the softare needs to cater to mouse use appropriately as well. Emulating clunky controls that have already been treated and tweaked to work for the analogue sticks will not yield great results.

I maintain that the core of the problem rests in the software.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
Well, I would counter that it depends on how well the virtual mouse space translates to the analog-stick inputs.  Mouse movements are one-to-one analogues of screen movements (cursor, camera POV, etc) while a joystick is an indirect device which operates on an acceleration vector (based on angle and distance from stick center).  If the game tracks stick input properly, and applies it to screen movements progressively, I think good results could be achieved by good input-translation code.  But if the game input code is stupid, yeah, I agree with you:  There's nothing the controller can do to fix it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 10:16:12 AM »
pug - it doesn't need support from game devs since it just emulates the functions on the 360 controller.

Sure, but unless the developers design a game with this thing in mind, it just won't live up to its potential. I think we've devices like this before.

After using the Splitfish FragFX for the PS3 I'm not too keen on this. What they're forgetting is that hardware is only half the problem, the softare needs to cater to mouse use appropriately as well. Emulating clunky controls that have already been treated and tweaked to work for the analogue sticks will not yield great results.

I maintain that the core of the problem rests in the software.

Yea well put.