Author Topic: iCloud  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
iCloud
« on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »
Has anyone tried this out yet?

It's essentially a virtual PC, built on cloud-computing principles.
A free online computer with desktop, applications and storage.

icloud consists of a desktop with applications and files that you run through your web browser. Because it's running in the cloud (the internet) it can offer you impressive features such as easy sharing and rich collaboration. The icloud team is 100% committed to providing you with an exciting, reliable, and productive computing experience.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: iCloud
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
Hmmmm.  I can't really see the point considering the current state of technology.  I mean, it's a wicked concept but if you're using it you're either on a computer with it's own OS which is probably better suited for whatever you're doing (power isn't really an issue here) or a tablet/smartphone which certainly has passable apps for whatever you're doing, fully able to be integrated with your desktop/laptop/whatever.

I do see the value in having the ability to have access to all your files in one place "in the cloud".  Between my workstation at school, my phone, my desktop, and my laptop, it does sometimes get to be a bitch moving files around, but there are simpler solutions that are free and don't require you to delve into a second OS in the browser, whether physically (flash drives) or likewise "in the cloud" (skydrive, Dropbox).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: iCloud
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 04:03:38 PM »
Dropbox? . . .  Dropbox!  Cool.