Author Topic: Castle Crashers released  (Read 3512 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Castle Crashers released
« on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »
On XBLA. Just when I thought "Hey, I don't really want a 360 anymore" they go and release this.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Castle Crashers released
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 04:09:15 PM »
I'm a week behind on checking out the new releases.  I still haven't tried Galaga Legions or the Force Unleashed demo.

Offline wizall

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »
Just played through the trial.  I have to admit, I've never been too excited about side-scrolling brawlers, but this is a blast.  1200 points is $15?  Plenty worth it, in my opinion.  If anyone would like to play give me a shout.  "Wizall," naturally, is my gamertag. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »
PSN plz

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 05:56:21 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 09:10:04 PM »
Aw, damn it.  That looks so freaking cool.  I had my heart set on not spending any more money on XBLA.  What is it, $15?  The Alien Hominid demo kicked my ass, though.  The reviewer says this one is better balanced.  We shall see.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 09:24:44 PM »
Hot damn, that does look freaking cool.  I hadn't seen any motion in a while, and that thing looks brilliant.

PSN PLZ.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 05:15:55 PM »
Oh, good stuff.  Nicely done.  I definitely want to get the whole game, but that may not happen for a while.

Edit:  But there is trouble in paradise, as I just found out.  Nasty bugs related to saved data.  It may be related strictly to online issues, but I'm not sure what all is up.  I'm definitely waiting for all this to get sorted out.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 01, 2008, 07:53:37 AM »
I highly recommend not buying this until some very nasty bugs get fixed.  From what I've been reading several places, it's very possible for saved games to get corrupted by a number of factors.  I thought at first that it was only possible for this to happen online, but apparently it can also strike if different users log into the game locally (on the same Xbox).  This thread deals with the problem and a supposed workaround which is getting inconsistent results.  What a mess.

Edit:  In the meantime, get the demo and let the outstanding theme song play.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 01, 2008, 08:33:18 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 01, 2008, 11:51:09 PM »
Games should never be released with bugs that corrupt saves.  That should be a law.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 01, 2008, 11:52:41 PM »
Maybe the bugs will be fixed when it hits PSN.

You know, I am sensing a theme to my posts.  Perhaps I am becoming a bit too predictable (you know, as opposed to before, when I was just the right level of entirely predictable).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 02:59:16 AM »
When things go so wrong right off the bat, I have to wonder what's going on.  There has to be a flaw in the development and testing process.  I once read a developer's post on the Criterion forums saying that the 360's development kits don't fully reflect production hardware.  What?  If true, that's a nightmare.  It still doesn't excuse anything, because it would be unconscionable to release a software product that was never tested on the intended systems.  But inaccuracies in dev systems would make things harder, no question.  Difficulty in development is no stranger to console programmers.  In the end, there is simply no excuse.  Whatever the hurdle is needs to be compensated for, if it can't be eliminated altogether.

And yes, Que.  I'm glad I met you way before you got a PS3.  ;)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 06:38:34 AM »
What shocks me is that such a simple game has those kinds of probelms when it was in development for as long as this was.  The thing took forever to come out.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »
I'm thinking there's something extraordinarily obtuse in the way.  It simply makes no sense at all.  These bugs could not have possibly escaped detection if any decent testing was done.  Someone said save games go into your profile, not separate files.  I'm wondering if that was a last minute change which upset the apple cart.

After much reading on the subject, it seems that as long as I play offline under my own profile on my own Xbox where I downloaded the game, I'll be fine.  Yes, even with the buggy crap, I couldn't stay away.  The game is awesome so far.  I'm a Level-18 green knight at the moment.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, September 03, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »
The single-player campaign is outstanding, easily worth the price of admission by itself.  Gameplay tweaked to perfection.  The leveling system, hidden items and random access to completed stages give it a long play time and make it impossible to put down.

The developers are back from PAX and working on the problems with online and with playing the game anywhere other than the original system.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, September 06, 2015, 06:51:45 PM »
CC Remastered releases on the 9th on the XONE, free until the 20th for 360 owners, $5 for previous owners after that, $15 for everyone else.  60 fps (up from 30), 5 times the texture sizes, new multiplayer minigame.

I'm there!  Can't believe it's been 7 years since I got the original.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, September 06, 2015, 07:18:50 PM »
I'd be irritated that they were only doing this on Xbone, but to be honest, I've played all the Castle Crashers I have any desire to. This wouldn't be enough to get to me go back.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 06, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
I bought the original on Xbox 360 but never played much of it. I'm so glad I'll be able to get the new release for free. Maybe I'll put more time into it this time.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 06, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »
I'd be irritated that they were only doing this on Xbone, but to be honest, I've played all the Castle Crashers I have any desire to. This wouldn't be enough to get to me go back.

Somewhere, I read that the Steam version will be getting the same enhancements.  The free thing is related to how well the game sold on XBL--apparently, a big shot in the arm for the company  ("our Thank-You-For-Saving-Our-Lives-That-One-Time special price of FREE").

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, September 09, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
It went live on XBL this morning, but there was a problem with the price ($15 for everyone).  This evening, it looks like the problem was resolved.  Got it free.  (Yay!)  Plays the same.  Double frame rate is perfect--so smooth.  I miss the title screen from the original game.  It went so well with the epic theme tune.