Author Topic: Hey, lets sue McDonalds over happy meal toys!  (Read 2213 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Hey, lets sue McDonalds over happy meal toys!
« on: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »
Yeah, great idea!

This week, CSPI has upped the ante by threatening to sue McDonald's unless the company agrees to stop using toys to beguile young children. CSPI contends that tempting-kids-with-toys is unfair and deceptive--both to kids who don't understand the concept of marketing and to parents who have to put up with their pestering offspring.
Parents should be parents, you can tell your kids "No" for fucks sake. Oh no, its unhealthy! No shit, its McDonalds. If it bothers you then don't eat there.

However, Michael Brody, a psychiatrist who chairs the television and media committee of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, has no tolerance for those predatory marketing practices: "These marketers are very similar to pedophiles. They are child experts. If you're going to be a pedophile or a child marketer, you have to know about children, and what children are going to want."
Man, thats classy. I think psychiatrists are like rapists. See how that works?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Hey, lets sue McDonalds over happy meal toys!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »
*sigh*

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 11:49:56 PM »
Mindfuk'd! Without consent!

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 11:55:32 PM »
I'm not necessarily against this. Young children are incredibly susceptible to advertising and will often take an advertisers claim to be fact and not understand all of the consequences that go with it. The shit that is advertised to them is unhealthy and creates a lifetime of bad habits that society eventually pays for. Yes it should be up to the parents to say no but that doesn't change the demand that all the advertising generates.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »
It's a question of freedom.  Should it be up to the government or some advocacy group to dictate what you, or I, or some business give away with lunch?  I don't think so.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 12:16:29 AM »
The point of advertising is to generate demand. The point of parents is to teach their kids how to avoid falling for it and how to eat healthy.

McDonalds is cheap and convenient. Its good business. Its not up to them to make your job as a parent any easier.

EDIT: And it shouldn't be up to the government or advocacy group to make it any easier, either. Parents are such wimps now...

EDIT2: I think this will be a funny case to watch. I mean, is this a bluff? There is no way McDonalds is going to just drop the toys from happy meals. These guys must know that (and McDonalds knows they know that), so they should be prepared to sue. On what grounds or authority will they have to make this case?

Also, will this mean Chinese restaurants will have to stop handing out fortune cookies with the check?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »
I'm not necessarily against this. Young children are incredibly susceptible to advertising and will often take an advertisers claim to be fact and not understand all of the consequences that go with it. The shit that is advertised to them is unhealthy and creates a lifetime of bad habits that society eventually pays for. Yes it should be up to the parents to say no but that doesn't change the demand that all the advertising generates.

Well, the overly concerned parents have another option here; remove their child from the advertising.   I've never seen McDonald's toys advertised on anything but television....or in McDonalds.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 12:48:42 AM »
There is plenty of advertising which is restricted in its content and who it targets. Are you saying it should all be allowed?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 01:11:09 AM »
Illegitimate slippery slope.  There's a very big difference between what you're talking about and this. Advertising products towards children which you are legally not allowed to sell to them because of an abundance of empirical evidence leading to the conclusion that such products can have an immediate and detrimental effect to said child and thus legally can't be sold to them.  As an extension of that, that segment can't be a target market.   

The effect of what you're saying is that we restrict tobacco and alcohol marketing, and as such, all advertising should likewise be restricted because of a select group's perceived risk of lifetime harm stemming from the marketing itself rather than the product.  By extension, you could argue that advertising of various medication with side effects, cars with anything more than a capacity of 40hp, extreme sports, any form of credit, and god knows what else should be restricted because of a possibility of detrimental effect on society or the forming of a lifetime of bad habits.  Connection is too vague and can be applied to pretty much anything that could possibly be construed as unhealthy in any regard.

Regardless, this isn't even about any possible health issue; this is purely about the marketing, and as it stands under common law, if you can legally sell the product to someone, you can legally target them with your marketing.  Now, you could still legislate a restriction, but good luck unless you have dollars behind it and a shit ton of evidence.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 02:31:49 AM »
The effect of what you're saying is that we restrict tobacco and alcohol marketing, and as such, all advertising should likewise be restricted because of a select group's perceived risk of lifetime harm stemming from the marketing itself rather than the product.  By extension, you could argue that advertising of various medication with side effects, cars with anything more than a capacity of 40hp, extreme sports, any form of credit, and god knows what else should be restricted because of a possibility of detrimental effect on society or the forming of a lifetime of bad habits.  Connection is too vague and can be applied to pretty much anything that could possibly be construed as unhealthy in any regard.

I completely agree with this but despite my prior wording, it isn't exactly what I meant.

There are laws against deceptive marketing. Children do not have the ability to judge the accuracy, intention or persuasion of adverts. They don't have the capability or knowledge to research alternatives and they don't understand the long-term impacts of their actions. I don't think it would be too big of a stretch to label any advertising aimed at small children to be deceptive and wrong.

Regardless, this isn't even about any possible health issue; this is purely about the marketing, and as it stands under common law, if you can legally sell the product to someone, you can legally target them with your marketing.  Now, you could still legislate a restriction, but good luck unless you have dollars behind it and a shit ton of evidence.

That's pretty much it. Minors are a completely different class and any legislation against them wouldn't risk the slippery slope of targeting individual industries.

edit: not advocating advertising restrictions against all minors. just children under 8 or so.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 07:30:46 AM »
I don't understand how toys in happy meals are deceptive advertising.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #11 on: Friday, June 25, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
Now I want a burger. I hate you all.