Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 223621 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Fallout 3 - Update: FO3 GECK SDK Released! (Thanks Idol!)
« Reply #520 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 11:34:05 PM »
You might want to save that Quantum...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #521 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »
Yeah, it's hard enough to manage inventory without knowing what things are worth.  You really need that as a guide to help you figure out what to carry when.

Word to the wise, though: don't sell Quantum.  Just hoard it.  You'll thank me later.  Possibly.

EDIT - Heh, I didn't even see gpw's post.  Heh, whoops.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #522 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 12:02:19 AM »
Man, once I actually got a place to do it I just started stashing absolutely everything I could and then selling it later if I really wanted to.  Money stops being an issue pretty early in the game and a lot of the stuff you think is useless but worth something ends up having a use later.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #523 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 07:07:30 AM »
Yea I found out who wants the stuff.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #524 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 07:50:50 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #525 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »
I get the overwhelming feeling I need a strategy guide for this.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #526 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 11:05:59 AM »
No, you really don't. A guide will just tell you where everything is and where to go and how to get there. Part of the fun is exploring on your own and finding all these things yourself. I beat the campaign without finding even half of the towns in the wasteland. So now when I replay the game I have even more stuff to check out.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #527 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 11:12:19 AM »
Yeah the only thing a guide would accomplish during the first run-through would be to spoil the surprises. And there are plenty of them in the game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #528 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »
Actually, I highly recommend the special edition guide they did.  It's hardbound, huge, and fucking gorgeous.  I didn't sit down and read through it just to figure out what I should go do, as I don't generally like using guides at all, but the forward by Todd Howard sums it up completely for me.  I think I posted this elsewhere, but here it is again:

Quote from: Todd Howard
I've had a long love affair with strategy guides and hintbooks for games.  I love flipping through them, seeing all the maps and hidden stuff I never knew about.  It's like peering into the soul of a game.  A look at what's really in it.  And I think there are two great ways to experience Fallout 3; one, obviously, is to play the game.  The next way is to read this book.  Pick a chapter or page at random and start reading.  I guarantee you'll see something you didn't know about it.  It could be something big, like a reward you missed out on due to your choices, or a hidden weapon.

Over the last four years, the Fallout 3 team put everything they had into this game.  I think it's hard for someone playing the game for the first time to really appreciate how much has gone into it, how many big things there are and just how many small things.  In some respects, this book represents the totality of the game -- better than the actual game.  I love seeing the work of so many passionate and creative people packed into a large tome.  It becomes something tangible, a record of all that has been made.

The world of Fallout allows so many great ideas, whether they be dramatic, action packed, or darkly humorous, to come together in a new way.  The journey in creating all of this has been a shared experience, and one that has proven to be the most fun I've ever had making a game.  I hope reading about it is as much.

I didn't really read the guide at all until about 90 hours in, and I realized just how much there was yet to see and experience, a lot of it little things that just randomly can happen at certain intervals.  It's fascinating, and this is one of the few games where having a huge compendium of everything inside it is actually quite worth having, even just as an assortment of curiosities.  The game doesn't need a guide, but a look at the collective whole of it on paper is actually rather stimulating.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #529 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 03:58:43 PM »
Well, this sort of sparked the thought.

In Megaton:

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #530 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 05:07:35 PM »
Well, this sort of sparked the thought.

In Megaton:

(click to show/hide)

What D did that in that situation in Megaton, 1st Time Around
(click to show/hide)

2nd time around
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #531 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 04:06:34 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #532 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 06:45:20 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Nice, Xessive! :)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #533 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 10:54:48 AM »
Dammit.  The CE is going for 59.99 at best buy right now.  I should have waited.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #534 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »
Dammit.  The CE is going for 59.99 at best buy right now.  I should have waited.

Same price on Amazon for X360 FO3 Collector's Edition. Free saver shipping, too.

Also, $49.99 on Amazon for the PC Version FO3 - Collector's Edition.
Free saver shipping, too.

I paid $70 for it -- and since I played the hell out of the game a while ago, I could really careless about it $20 cheaper. I had to have it then and that was the bottom line, for me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #535 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 03:19:51 PM »
Yeah, same here.  I couldn't afford to splurge on the Survival Edition, but the CE was good enough.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Fallout 3 Thread - 9.6 from IGN, Que does Classic Music Mod
« Reply #536 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 04:47:06 PM »
No, she can't.

Version 2 of the Classic Music Mod is now up.  You can grab it from Fallout 3 Nexus or FileFront.  Feel free to give me a vote or leave comments, especially on FO3Nexus where a bunch of other mods have sprung up.  I feel mine is the best of them because instead of just chucking a bunch of shit on there, I really tried to ensure that every song included added something to the game and wasn't included *just because* it's from the past games.

Anyway, enjoy!  Both entries now with AMAZING PROMOTIONAL SCREENSHOTS!
Wow, it's weird to see an Internet download use the RAR compression type.  I never even thought how rare it was until I just saw it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #537 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »
I thought about picking up the CE and selling my regular edition on ebay, but I didn't.  I did end up using a Best Buy gift card I got for Christmas toward a Drive-By Truckers CD and the Collectors Edition strategy guide though

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #538 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 09:45:42 PM »
Can you buy the CE strategy guide separate?  I saw a couple on eBay, but after reading your post K-MaN, I remembered that I too have a Best Buy giftcard I have no idea what to do with.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #539 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 10:01:14 PM »
K-man, on Megaton if you want spectacular:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #540 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #541 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 11:40:02 PM »
Yeah scott, you can buy it separately.  It's a very nice hardbound edition.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #542 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 04:18:42 AM »
I found a problem with an area of the game. Im in the Vault Tec headquarters and took down one of the robot mobs and after I killed and came to loot it, an option comes up allowing me to shut down the rest of the computer bots, when I select that option the game instantly freezes. I guess I can keep going without doing that but that pretty much totally ruined me of any chance of saving anymore ammo.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #543 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 07:50:34 AM »
Hmm... I haven't actually been there yet, I don't think.  At least... I can't remember.  Wonder if other people are having the same issue.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #544 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »
I came to that point too but it didn't crash for me. I too was kinda miffed at how much ammo I could have saved :P

I haven't had very many crashes with the game overall.

Btw, I have formatted and setup my system with Vista, reinstalled Fallout 3 and this time it actually asked me for a CD key and GFWL is running properly.

There's a very subtle difference between DX9 and DX10, it's most noticeable in texture and bumpmap rendering.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #545 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 06:14:40 PM »
I wouldn't worry about saving ammo.  You can always find more.  I'm swimming in the shit at this point.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #546 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »
Yea Im also noticing problems which you mentioned Que, the pathfinding in some cases sucks.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #547 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »
Yeah.  It's one of Bethesda's big problems.  They build immense and complex games, but some individual modules within sometimes aren't quite up to the task of navigating the web of systems they create.  It's unfortunate, as it does at times mar the experience.  It's one of the big reasons I like to buy PC when I buy a Bethesda game.  Having a developer console and a few odd commands handy does wonders for fixing their fuckups.

Sometimes if you just leave stuff alone for a while it'll reset.  So if something seems busted, try just... leaving.  Then come back after you've done other stuff for a number of hours.  You may find something has reset itself.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #548 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 08:20:37 PM »
CE is now 50 bucks at Amazon.  I don't know why the CE is so alluring to me, but I'm such a sucker for the CE of shit.

I play right into their hands.  It's sad really

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #549 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »
If they have a support group for that, you and I should probably both go.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #550 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
I just don't understand it.  I HAVE THE GAME, yet I sit here contemplating spending 50 more dollars for a lunchbox, making of dvd, bobblehead doll, and a small art book.  All for a game I've had zero emotional attachment to because I had never played the old titles.

MGS4?  You're damn right I got the CE of the game AND guide and was happy to do it.  This, I have much less reasoning for.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #551 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 09:06:02 PM »
Fallout 3 PC - Survival Edition (Amazon Exclusive with the PiP-Boy) is currently $100 on Amazon with free saver shipping.

EDIT:
Though, from what I'm reading, might be worth noting that some people have issues w/ the Pip Boy buttons working at all even...  :o

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #552 on: Thursday, January 08, 2009, 08:40:50 PM »
K-man, on Megaton if you want spectacular:
(click to show/hide)

I did this tonight.  Pretty awesome.  The whole tower and its residents sorta intrigued me.  Explosion was amazing. A+ would bomb again

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #553 on: Thursday, January 08, 2009, 09:04:25 PM »
Here's a lot more info on FO3 - Operation: Anchorage DLC.

And some more on the other upcoming FO3 DLC, too.

Eurogamer: Given the military sim setting, would you say the balance in Anchorage swings more towards gameplay than storytelling? Or have you tried to remain consistent with the way the two are interwoven in the main game?

Jeff Gardiner: There definitely is a story here - the Brotherhood Outcasts are trying to acquire advanced military technology, and the only way to open the vault containing these relics is by completing a tactical simulation only the player can enter. The bulk of the gameplay in this DLC is gunplay and stealth, along with some 'team building exercises.'

Eurogamer: Can you tell us anything more about the way the Strike Teams under the player's command work, or elaborate on any of the "exotic gadgets" mentioned last week?

Jeff Gardiner: The player will be able to choose, from a limited resource pool, what type of team members will accompany him or her on several missions within the simulations. These choices include different troop types like snipers or heavy weapons troops. They'll also be able to make tactical decisions on how to deploy these troops in certain situations. The Chinese Stealth Suit was what I was hinting at last week - it works similar to stealth boy every time you crouch!

Eurogamer: Can you give us any details on the new Achievements? Will it be another 250 gamerpoints' worth? (Is that still the DLC limit for extra gamerpoints?) Will it be split across the three packs?

Jeff Gardiner: We plan on including around 50 gamerpoints per pack.

Eurogamer: Finally, can you tell us anything else about The Pitt and Broken Steel?

Jeff Gardiner: The Pitt is a more 'Traditional' Fallout 3 quest - it's full of morally grey choices, shady NPCs, and features another city ravaged by time, neglect, nuclear waste and moral degradation.

Broken Steel not only extends the game to level 30, it alters the core ending. It allows the player to continue exploring the ashen Wasteland and see the fruits that are born, or that die, from their decisions. It will reprise several main characters, and conclude some of the story threads left dangling.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #554 on: Thursday, January 08, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »
Well, the luster is sort of wearing off on this game.  I love exploring the wasteland and tracking down those hollow arrows, but I'm always dismayed to find that hollow arrow end up being another subway station.  I'm getting really, really tired of seeing subway networks and stations.  Houses also are laid out almost identically in every case.  It's not even like there are different styles at all.  It's one style with ever so slight variations on room placement.

I'm beginning to hope that it gets better once I find another actual community other than Megaton or that the former downtown area has something different.  Otherwise I don't know how much more of the same I can really stomach.

I guess I should have known, it being an RPG and all.  But I thought, "Hey!  It's a modern game based in semi-reality.  It's not about magic and orcs and dragons.  I can like this!"  I'm consistently wow'ed by the games technical aspects and the wastland, but the... well I guess we'll just go ahead and call them dungeons because that's what they are... I guess I ran out of things to see there because anymore it's never new.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #555 on: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 10:02:37 PM »
I'm trying to get to the radio station right now, but can't seem to find where I need to go.  I'm also running into these super mutant guys that are tearing me a new asshole.  I feel severely underpowered traveling where I am.  I know that having limited first aid and ammo is kinda part of the game, but it's a little annoying at the same time.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #556 on: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »
You need to locate The Terrible Shotgun. It tears Super Mutant's to shreds.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #557 on: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 10:05:32 PM »
I don't really understand that.  I never had a great deal of trouble with supplies, except in a couple circumstances.

As for the radio station... remember, you have to use the subway tunnels to get around the DC area.  You can't just walk above ground and expect to get there.  The map/compass should direct you to whichever station is nearest you, then to which exit you should travel through.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #558 on: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
So I got 40+ hours going into the game now and Ive torn a good bit into the main quest line and Im really enjoying myself. Explosives are the shit, I am I think level 16 now and with my explosive skill maxed out with the explosive expert perks theres really nothing too strong that can take more than 2 - 3 grenades, and if there is, I still got my nuka grenades which I havent even used yet. Right now my explosives, speech, and science skills are maxed out, with small guns and medicine pretty high. Im curious to those that got to level 20, which perk did you choose? I think theres like 4 level 20 perks and the one Im still debating on is explorer, or the one where it pretty much gives you infinite action points. I figured if I went with the infinite action point perk and I can be nearly unstoppable and I can just explore the wasteland on my own. 

Ive torn a good bit into the story and its pretty damn cool. The Vault 116 part was just awesome. Im also starting to get a better sense of this Fallout falls in with the other 2. I'll find some journals or info of particular people that have run into the "Vault Dweller" from the first game. I love that kinda stuff.

Also K-Man, I didnt have too much trouble with that part. I ended up running into a group of Brotherhood guys and they escorted me to the radio station killing any super mutants in the way.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #559 on: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 01:57:31 AM »
I took the Explorer perk, mostly because at that point combat was getting pretty easy and I was starting to get pretty completionist with everything... so I thought it'd be fun since it was sort of  less functional in a lot of ways and just sort of more fun.  I have no regrets.  I forget what all the other ones are, though.

But yeah, I think the people who say that this isn't a Fallout game (like one of the dudes from the GWJ podcast) are totally off base.  I think it's remarkable how true it feels considering it was made my different folks.  They really got a lot of it right, and the feel of the environments and the quirky, dark sense of humor are there too.  If you like this, I think you should definitely try the other games.  They aren't new and shiny, and certainly don't have the same sense of constant satisfaction like you get with VATS and stuff, but overall they're even better and more potent in some ways, and I really hope that Fallout 3 gets more people to try them out.