Author Topic: Did daylight savings just happen?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Did daylight savings just happen?
« on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 01:10:33 AM »
I was in bed slowly trying to get myself to wake up and I thought it was almost 3am. A couple minutes later I look again and the clock reads 2am. I have a clock that auto sets so I was wondering if it was that or the fact I wasnt totally awake yet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Did daylight savings just happen?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 01:17:15 AM »
They changed the rules.  Your clock doesn't know that.  Neither does my version of Win XP, so I change from Eastern to Atlantic time for the next 3 weeks or so.  [Edit:  It's only 1 week on the back end.  I was wrong.  Sorry!]  Otherwise I'd be off by an hour too.

Short story: no!  We're still on daylight savings.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 11:44:32 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 02:20:00 AM »
Yes today at 2 AM, the time went back 1 hour, my computer, atomic watch, and cable box all went back by one hour as well.  They also sent us like 3 emails at work about it over the last 2 days to remind us.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 04:57:06 AM »
This does not help global warming!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 07:29:32 AM »
Yeah Cobra, you're wrong.  Time changed overnight.  BTW still can't believe you have SP1 but I don't want to get into that argument again.

I have an older clock that keeps track of the time and date internally, like a computer's CMOS clock.  It used to be awesome because if we ever lost power it would automatically re-set itself to the correct time.  It was set by default on Eastern time and kept track of DST so it was perfect.  But then they changed the dates DST happens on and it was ruined.  It was hard-coded and there was no way for me or the manufacturer to change it.  It really burned me last weekend when we thought it was 8am but really was 9am.

So I got a new clock.  Pretty cool.  It's got this external remote that acquires the atomic clock radio signal and syncs to that.  Also gets the outside air temperature.  But yeah it's first DST trial was a success.  It was an hour earlier than my oven, microwave, watch, and analog wall clock today.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 07:52:03 AM »
BTW still can't believe you have SP1 but I don't want to get into that argument again.

Why, does he not want to upgrade his SP?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »
Nothing like posting just before falling asleep.  Yes they changed the rules.  Yes, that extension of daylight savings ran its course last night.  Welcome to standard time.  Sorry for the misinformation.

I don't even have SP1.  You're right, we've been over it before, and I don't want to get into it again either.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 03:37:25 PM »
I read this topic before work this morning when it only had two replies and had a serious debate with myself about who I should belive. In the end I trusted no one and went to a news source. Then I happily fell asleep for another hour.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »
So you wasted it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 06:14:14 PM »
Why, does he not want to upgrade his SP?

What is going on!!?!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »