Author Topic: Coming up with a computer wishlist, need help - BUILT... WITH PICS!  (Read 15000 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Coming up with a computer wishlist, need help
« Reply #40 on: Friday, February 23, 2007, 10:42:26 PM »
Like you said, I'm sure I'll need a new motherboard in a few years.  I'm not worried about it.

In other news, I just tracked my Directron order.  It's scheduled delivery date is 3/1/07.  What the hell?  Since when does UPS Ground take that long?  Well, here's to hoping it's here by next Wednesday.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 12:10:44 AM »
Wow even if you take the weekend into account that's pretty far off.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 09:53:36 AM »
Yeah, I know.  Last status is that it is in Houston (where Directron is).  Houston is like a 15 hour drive by car from here.  How this is going to take almost a full week to get here I have no idea.  Usually UPS Ground is like 3 days from anywhere.  I'm not sure what's going on in this case.  Hopefully UPS doesn't purposefully delay the package.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #43 on: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 06:44:49 PM »
Sounds like you've got a really spiffy rig coming in.  Good luck with the RAM, though.  I originally went with the DDR2 800 RAM, but no matter what brand I went with it kept giving me memory issues.  Something along the lines of 5 restarts a night due to some incompatibilities.  Boo.  But you may have better luck.  There are also some other 2 Gb sticks going for under 200 on Newegg, too.  I was wondering why you went with the ATI Crossfire spreaders instead of the other ones, especially when going with an Nvidia card, too.  Curious about that.

But good luck with it, though!  Sounds like it's gonna be a monster.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 09:12:32 AM »
The RAM I selected was the cheapest available from a reputable brand that had 4-4-4-12 timings.  I could have saved 20 bucks and got RAM with 5-5-5-12 timings, but decided against it.  As far as the ATi Crossfire branding, it's not like it won't work with a nVidia card.  It's just marketing BS.

I could give a crap about the heat spreaders' look.  The case I selected doesn't even have a window so it's not like you can see them anyway.

As for the incompatibilities, I'm hoping it doesn't affect me.  If so, I'll spring for the Corsair stuff since that seems to be the most compatible.  But I've got my fingers crossed.  Like Pug said in your thread, I've heard lots of stories about compatibility issues with DDR2 on the Intel side of things (not sure if it's as bad with an AMD chip).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »
Now to start looking for a new monitor...  Looking for a good LCD widescreen with a good contrast ratio and quick response time.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 09:32:12 AM »
How much are you looking to spend? I was shopping for an LCD last year and the problem is the lack of reviews on the internet. Most of them are from years ago, because it seems that the sites gave up.

PC Gamer recently recommended two:

Dell 240WFP: Great monitor, but needs much graphical power and is expensive. With your video card a widescreen I'd say should be 1680x1050 but that's me. Aside from PCG Ive seen nothing but good things written about it. If you do decide to go for it, look for revision two because the earlier ones had gradient and banding issues .

Samsung Syncmaster 931C: World's fastest LCD and does good with movies too. 2ms response time.

But this is where I found my LCD: LCD Buyer's Guide.

It is one of the few LCD sources that is constantly updated, and the initial page it takes you to is really helpful. The guy who wrote that has a website as well. But yea, on the final page you can ask questions about LCDs.

I also recommend you look up a recently released monitor, LG 204WT. It has a 5ms response time, is cheap and a widescreen! Also HDCP compliant.

Also is this the stupidest logo for a video card, or what?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 09:37:22 AM »
Tom's Hardware recommended three but this was from a few years ago.

Viewsonic 2025WM: that reviewed really well all over the internet. It reviewed well on CNET as well. It is a 20 inch widescreen, not HDCP compliant but very affordable. If you look it up on Newegg you will note the rave user reviews. People all over love this, though apparently there are some DVI problems. I would have bought it had I been able to find it.

review from CNET

Viewsonic VX922: The world's fastest measured LCD. It isn't that great for movies, but fantastic for only gaming. PCG gave it an editor's choice.

Tom's Hardware also recommended the Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP. Here is the CNET review: linky

But I highly recommend that LCD Buyer's Guide I posted above.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 11:10:56 AM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 11:17:45 AM »
BUY IT!

I don't know why I forgot to mention that,  but that's like an LCD wet dream. That guide I posted above says that's the best all round LCD. Best for movies easily, and the best widescreen gaming monitor.

Man I've wanted that LCD for so long but they don't ship here. :(

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »
Done.  I just couldn't turn it down after reading all the reviews.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 11:32:09 AM »
haha congratulations. I am jealous! :P They are opening an NEC outlet here so I may be picking it up in a month as well. Let us know what you think, and do post pics. :)

It is also HDCP compliant, though I don't know if you care about that.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 11:40:55 AM »
Not so much, but it's good to know since the videocard I got is as well.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #53 on: Monday, February 26, 2007, 12:57:42 AM »
I don't quite get this timing deal.  I've seen things like 4-4-4-12 and 4-4-4-15 and whatnot like that.  It just doesn't make any sense to me, though.  How does that affect the performance of the memory?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #54 on: Monday, February 26, 2007, 05:55:56 AM »
Those numbers are access times and are just recommended timings for that particular speed. The numbers are in nanoseconds and are basically a measurement of the delay of the process when memory receives an instruction retrieves data and sends it back. The first four numbers stand for:

•   RAS - Row Address Strobe or Row Address Select
•   CAS - Column Address Strobe or Column Address Select
•   tRAS - Active to precharge delay; this is the delay between the precharge and activation of a row
•   tRCD - RAS to CAS Delay; the time required between RAS and CAS access

The two most important things you balance for your RAM on your BIOS settings are RAM speed and RAM timings. The box has recommended settings, but most DDR2 667 RAM can be over clocked to DDR2 800 with a slight increase in voltage and lower RAM timings.

However most articles I’ve read have pointed out that sacrificing the RAM timings for RAM speed always lead to higher gains in frames per second, and is worth the RAM timings delay.

If you want to over clock your processor, then you should have RAM that can run at DDR800. If you have an E6400, you owe it to yourself to over clock it. It is the king of OC processors and you should be able to run it at E6700 speeds. Granted you need a good mobo, but quality RAM makes a massive difference. I am currently running my E6400 at 2.84, game stable.

To over clock your processor you increase your CPU FSB speed and use that with the multiplier. For example if you set your E6400 Front Side Bus speed to 350, since it comes with a lovely multiplier of 8, you get an overall speed of 2.800. To set a bus speed that high you need to feed your CPU a bit more voltage so you up that to 1.30V, which is more than enough, and extremely safe.

Now there is something called a FSB: DRAM divider. Basically your RAM should run at at 2x the FSB for the smoothest operation.

For example if your FSB is set to 350 then your RAM should be 700 to get a divider fraction of 1:1.

Most hardware sites and gamers have their fraction set at 4:5 and it is the most accepted fraction, but they say the smoothest should be 1:1. However 4:5 is pretty standard now.

But the point of telling you all that is that as you increase your FSB, your RAM speed goes up (unless you drop the divider)… and as your RAM speed goes up, you need to increase voltage and drop the RAM timings, unless your RAM is rated to run at those timings at that high a speed.

For example if your DDR2 800 RAM is rated at 4,4,4,10… then you are beautifully set. Though even at something like 5,5,5,15 you won’t see that big a loss, since like I said it seems to come down to speed a lot more.

But say you had DDR2 667 rated at 3, 3,3,10 and you wanted to over clock your processor, while maintaining a 1:1 divide. Chances are that at that speed the RAM wouldn’t be able to handle the lower memory timings, so you would decrease the timings and run a RAM stress test called Orthos.

Over clocking takes a bit of trial and error. You can increase your memory timings bit by bit and run the RAM stress tests.

During my over clocking experiments my comp restarted maybe twice, before I was happy at 2.84. As long as you don’t do anything dangerous with the RAM or CPU voltage you will be fine.

Most RAM can safely go to 2.1V and CPUs can go to 1.34V.

If you don’t go beyond that you will never have any issues. Meanwhile you can experiment with things like RAM timings, but I played it safe. 

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=2

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #55 on: Monday, February 26, 2007, 06:17:34 AM »
I don't quite get this timing deal.  I've seen things like 4-4-4-12 and 4-4-4-15 and whatnot like that.  It just doesn't make any sense to me, though.  How does that affect the performance of the memory?
I'm pretty much the same way.  All I know is you want the first three numbers low and the last number high.

When it comes to relaxing timings though (for overclocking like Pug said), I have no idea which of the four numbers to relax first.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 05:30:31 PM »
Got my first of four shipments today:  one of the fans (the one that is going to be the CPU fan), the RAM, the motherboard, the videocard, and the 500GB drive.

The ATi RAM stuff looks even cooler than any pictures convey.  But like I said, it will be buried inside a windowless box so I guess it doesn't matter.

And holy shit I never saw a 120mm fan before.  It's huge!  I can't imagine what the heatsink is going to look like.

Edit:  Looks like everything but the optical drive will be here tomorrow.  Unfortunately I won't be able to mess with it until next Tuesday.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 11:46:44 PM by scottws »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 11:58:18 PM »
Sweet. Also speaking of the RAM, I always laughed at the length to which some of these sticks are customized. They have these RAM sticks that have LEDs and the coolest art you can imagine. Some glow in the dark etc. Yet I think 99% of the cases aren't transparent. Though I guess it is worth it when you want to show what's under the hood of your PC to someone. But you'd be doing that while it is turned off, so I don't get the LEDs.

Also the XFX video cards are really really pretty. I bought a 6800XT for my bro a while back and it looked sweet.

I guess it is all part of marketing your product with so many competitors out there. We all know how many companies are making RAM now. There is OCZ, Kingston, Mushkin, Gskill, Patriot, Adata, Corsair, Wintec etc. They all make RAM that is well received so they have to set themselves apart. Then you've got XFX, eVGA, BFG who were the main partners for graphics in North America, but now OCZ, MSI, Asus and so many other brands are coming to the party. ATi never had many partners for some reason.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 12:14:55 AM »
I think that's because ATi was a manufacturer as well.  With ATi, it's like, "I could buy from the people who designed it, or I could buy it from someone else."  The natural reaction is to buy from the actual manufacturer.  You don't have that with nVidia.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 01:28:41 AM »
Man, all that talk about overclocking and RAM timing and whatnot just went way over my head.  Sure, I've got an E6400, but I'm nowhere near adept at messing with these timings and fsb issues.  I mean, even as is, everything runs beautifully.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 03:11:02 AM »
Yea for sure. It initially went over my head as well. To be honest the E6400 was the first time I tried to overclock in my life. I've overclocked the video cards before, but that is simple.

I was initially buying a E6600 when I realized that the E6400 was running faster, which is crazy right? The reason is that the E6600 can't really be overclocked successfully because it apparently has a 4 L2 cache while the E6400 has a 2 L2 Cache. I don't understand why, but the higher cache became a liability for overclocking.

Maybe Scottws can tell us why.

But yea I was intimidated by the thought of overclocking, but the dudes on Anandtech helped me a lot with my questions and I did well. The key was to start with slight changes and run the program Orthos to see if there are any issues.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 06:37:17 PM »
Done.  I just couldn't turn it down after reading all the reviews.

Awesome!  That looks very worthwhile, and shows a realistic price per pixel for quality LCD imaging.  Sorry I didn't stop by earlier.  I've learned that the 22" crop of 1680x1050 LCD monitors is crap.  They may be crap through and through, or carefully tweaked and assembled crap, but crap regardless.  The problem is the cheap TN panels that go into every one of them.  Avoid unless cost per pixel is the only concern.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 06:52:23 PM »
Yeah.  Mine is 20.1" or something. It has a AS-IPS LCD panel, and is one of the few that is out from what I understand.

I have everything in my possession today except my PSU and main hard drive (and some other minor accessories).  I put the motherboard and CPU in the case, and changed the case fans to the ones I bought.  The front fan was a complete bitch.  I hope I never have to replace it.

And as expected, the heatsink is fucking massive.  I mean you really can't believe how big it is until you see it.  I haven't put it in yet because I have other things to do, but I kind of put it in it's spot to see how everything would fit.  It sort of blocks the rear fan (which is an intake fan... reverse airflow in this case).  Not much I can do about that... even a much smaller heatsink would still partially block it.

The case is sexy, and nice to work with so far (except for the front fan arrangement).  I'll take some pictures probably next week when I go to complete the build.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #63 on: Monday, March 05, 2007, 09:08:58 PM »
Well, it seems like a perfect time to get a new system.  My current unit seems to need a reformat at the very least.

Just about a month ago, I noticed that sometimes if I left my remote desktop connection open for a real long time, it would crash the terminal services service and I wouldn't be able to log in again, even locally when I got home.  I'd have to actually use the power button to shut down.

Then about two weeks ago, another problem started.  I came home and logged in.  Suddenly I was presented with another log in box.  I thought that was weird and tried again and the same thing happened.  I have no idea what was going on but I rebooted and that seemed to fix it.  That happened twice since and now something else is going on with my remote desktop connection.  Every day for the past three days, my remote desktop connection has broken and prevented login until I rebooted the system again.

Something is definitely going on with it, so getting the new system up and running will be a relief.  I will be working on it again tomorrow evening.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #64 on: Monday, March 05, 2007, 09:55:56 PM »
Let's see how good (or bad) Newegg's customer service really is.

I was supposed to get rebate offers on two of the items I purchased.  I went online today to click on the rebate link to print them out, and they have changed it.  Now it says "valid on purchases between March 1 2007 and March 31 2007," when it used to say "valid on purchases between February 1 2007 and February 28 2007."  I can't seem to find a link to the old PDF files anywhere.  This could mean I'm out a total of $45 if Newegg won't help me out.

Also, I went ahead and added a Newegg glossy logo sticker to my cart.  It was priced at $5, but it says the following:

Free with any Fans, Heatsinks (Case, CPU, Chipset) Purchase.
How Does it work: Buy any qualified item and add this Sticker to cart. Credit Given at Order Confirmation.
Source:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16800999137

I purchased 3 fans and a heatsink all on the same order, not to mention a case, CPU, and motherboard.  But I noticed I was still charged the $5.

I am waiting in the queue to speak to a chat representative as we speak.  I want to be hopeful becasue I've had good experiences with them in the past, but I've already sent an e-mail regarding the latter issue more than a week ago and have received no response as of yet of any kind.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #65 on: Monday, March 05, 2007, 10:56:19 PM »
Well, they hooked me up with the correct rebate PDFs, but deflected the question about the supposedly free $5 sticker.

Please wait while we connect you to a Newegg representative.
All Newegg representatives are currently assisting other customers. Thank you for your patience. An agent will be with you shortly.
All Newegg representatives are currently assisting other customers. Thank you for your patience. An agent will be with you shortly.
Thank you for contacting Newegg. My name is Nell. How may I assist you today?
scottws: I placed order #(removed) on 2/23/07
scottws: Two of the items I ordered were eligible for rebates.
scottws: (the rebates on both products said valid from 2/1 to 2/28)
scottws: Well, when I went on your site today to print out the rebate forms, the dates have been changed on the forms for purchases made between 3/1 and 3/31
scottws: I would like links to both forms, please.
scottws: The product IDs are:
Nell: One moment please. I will check it for you.
scottws: N82E16820227169
scottws: and
scottws: N82E16814130082
scottws: I have a second issue I'd like to discuss after this one is taken care of.
Nell: Ok.
Nell: One minute please. Our server is slow.
Nell: Please click the link below to have the rebate form.
Nell: http://(link removed)
Nell: http://(link removed)
Nell: They are for the items you are referring to.
scottws: Thank you for the first, but I'm getting HTTP 404 on the 2nd.
scottws: ok working now
scottws: Thank you.
Nell: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
scottws: Yes. On the same order, I ordered a glossy Newegg logo. The item was priced at $4.99, but says the following in the product description:
scottws: "Free with any Fans, Heatsinks (Case, CPU, Chipset) Purchase. How Does it work: Buy any qualified item and add this Sticker to cart. Credit Given at Order Confirmation."
scottws: If you will notice on my order, I also purchased 3 fans and a heatsink (not to mention a CPU, case, motherboard, videocard, RAM, etc)
scottws: I do not believe I was credited the $4.99 at order confirmation.
Nell: We apologize. Our server is down at this time.
Nell: May I have your available email address so that I can email you the info?
Nell: Thank you for your understanding.
scottws: (link removed)
Nell: Thank you so much. I will email you the result once our system is available.

scottws: Ok.
scottws: Thank you Nell, you have been helpful.
Nell: It is my pleasure serving you.
Nell: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
scottws: No, thank you.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Monday, March 05, 2007, 11:06:13 PM »
Good that you got things sorted. Also does anyone hate the fact that the general population is starting to sound robotic?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #67 on: Monday, March 05, 2007, 11:10:24 PM »
Haha, I think about that all the time with my current job.  I work helpdesk, but not for external customers.  We are trained to be polite, but they don't regulate syntax or even tone very much.  I think about these types of customer service reps all the time that sound like they are reading off of a script of opening and closing lines, and even some lines in between.

I don't think I or anyone I work with sounds anywhere remotely like these types do.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 02:38:41 AM »
I often am having one issue with Paypal or another and end up exchanging e-mails. You can always tell which part is the other person writing when near perfect grammar is followed by suddenly out of place poorly worded sentences.

Also if you have a link for that sticker, do post. I am such a sucker for stickers.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 03:09:49 AM »
What are all your thoughts on AMD at this point?  I was planning on getting a e6300, but then I realized that I could get a 4600+ for dirt cheap. 

Or is AMD pretty much not worth it at this point in the game?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 07:26:21 AM »
Just depends on cost vs performance and nothing to do with AMD. The 4600 is as good a performer as a E6300 at default clock speeds. If you don't plant to upgrade what you have and  want to start over in the future, then there is really nothing wrong with the 4600. How much money are you saving on the 4600? Will that allow you to recycle any parts you have?

If you get a solid mobo with the E6300 and DDR2800 RAM then you can get excellent speeds:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=2

If you go E6300 what are your total costs and if you go 4600 what are they? Generally if you are starting fresh then definitely I'd say E6300, but if a AMD system allows you to recycle your RAM and mobo, why the hell not?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 07:27:17 AM »
My 4400+ has served me quite well.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 05:37:03 PM »
Ok, this is pissing me off.  What is the secret to attaching a heatsink to the LGA775 socket?  The clips keep popping out of the motherboard.

Nevermind, I got it.  Holy shit I was sure I was going to break the motherboard's PCB.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »
Those heatsinks are a bitch to fasten, aren't they?  And the damn instructions don't give any sort of help, either.
I was sure I'd snapped something the last time I attached it, but luckily, no.

And well, if you're looking into getting a processor, gpw, wait a few months, I think.  They'll be out with the 6320 and 6420 in April, I believe.  Same speeds as the 6300 and 6400, but with 4 mb of L2 cache.  And at the same price, to boot.  I'd still recommend the Intels, though. 

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 08:43:50 PM »
Awesome, I was unaware of that.  I'll wait for sure then (especially since I don't actually have the cash in hand right now)...I've been putting it off for like 18 months now anyways.

As far as vid cards are concerned, will a 7600 GT play everything from the last few years well?  I mean, I know there are better cards out there, but price is going to be an issue and I can upgrade to a DX10 card in a year or so if I need. For the time being I'd just like something to play games like F.E.A.R., Quake 4, Spore, and BioShock on. 

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 08:50:18 PM »
I fiddled around with a bunch of video cards from the Radeon X1300 and X1600 to a 7300 GS and a 7600 GS before settling on a 7900 GS.  All those played my newer games with no problem, F.E.A.R. included.  Except for the 7300, everything else ran perfectly well at practically the highest settings.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 09:03:24 PM »
Well, I completed the build.  Windows is installing upstairs as we speak.

So much for a quiet system!  Well, at first anyway. The back fan was rubbing against the wire mesh, making a racket!!!  But I was able to bend it outwards and it seems to be ok now.  Much, much quieter than my old system.

The only thing that worries me is that I get a "Intel CPU uCode error.  Press F1 to resume" error on boot.  This seems like it might be related to the stepping of the CPU, and it's possible a BIOS update will fix it.  I'll have to see.  Can't do much until Windows installs.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 10:57:35 PM »
Ok, BIOS update didn't fix the uCode error.  I'm not sure what that's all about.

Oh, BTW, I'm on the new system.  This monitor is freaking awesome.  Pictures to follow.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 11:11:34 PM »
Ok, this is pissing me off.  What is the secret to attaching a heatsink to the LGA775 socket?  The clips keep popping out of the motherboard.

Nevermind, I got it.  Holy shit I was sure I was going to break the motherboard's PCB.

muhaha... that is so freaky when you haven't done it in a while. You have to push both clips and pray.

As far as vid cards are concerned, will a 7600 GT play everything from the last few years well?  I mean, I know there are better cards out there, but price is going to be an issue and I can upgrade to a DX10 card in a year or so if I need. For the time being I'd just like something to play games like F.E.A.R., Quake 4, Spore, and BioShock on.

Yea I think that's pretty wise... as long as you are going PCIe.

Oh, BTW, I'm on the new system.  This monitor is freaking awesome.  Pictures to follow.

Yea that monitor is sweet.

Ok, BIOS update didn't fix the uCode error.  I'm not sure what that's all about.

I don't understand, the BIOS update is supposed to fix that. Weird.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2007, 02:21:30 PM »
Here are the images from the build.  I threw a couple from my old build in there so you could see how messy the wiring was (and how dusty it is now!).

http://scottws.zapto.org/gallery/?level=collection&id=4

I also went ahead and ran 3DMark06 on both computers, and I got a 1248 on my old computer.  My new computer is a 8035.  Quite an improvement.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 04:02:31 PM by scottws »