Author Topic: I'm all scrubbed out!  (Read 2888 times)

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
I'm all scrubbed out!
« on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 05:47:01 PM »
I'm in the clean room at the hospital getting ready to mix some morphine drips.  I thought it'd be more fun to post about it than actually do it though.

As an aside, I look absolutely ridiculous in this clean suit.

Who wants some drugs?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: I'm all scrubbed out!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 06:32:48 PM »
Hurray for drugs!

Also, why are you typing on the internet whilst in a clean suit, getting ready to mix morphine drips?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 06:35:14 PM »
Clean suits are a pain in the ass.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 07:24:44 PM »
Dr. Poomcgoo.

I've always found medicine to be very interesting.

Pharmacy is one of my candidates for a career. Sure, it's boring as all hell, and you have to deal with mostly old people. But hell, $90,000 a year would totally make it worth while. Megan's Brother-in-law is a PharmD, and a manager at a Taget Pharmacy or something, and he makes $109,000 a year.  He makes like $8,700 a month. Thats more money than I would know what to do with. But it sounds really nice to me. Problem is, I'm not sure I have the mind for it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 07:45:05 PM »
I dunno', I just can't subscribe to the philosophy that doing something you don't like is worth any amount of money.  Then again, I suppose it's better to do something you don't like and be rich than what I'm doing -- doing something I don't like for peanuts.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 07:46:26 PM »
Count pills, put em in a bottle, scribble what is supposed to be your signature on the label, collect $109,000.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 11:38:16 PM »
Hehe, well, there is a little more to it than that. But yeah, Basically. Another thing, he only works like 28 hours a week. I think he goes in like 4 days of the week, couple 8 hour days, and a couple 4 hour days. I think he just goes in to handle scheduling, and to fill prescriptions the pharmacy techs can't. Most of his job is dealing with insurance companies, and keeping track of patient medicine so nothing conflicts. Making sure the person isn't allergic to anything s/he was prescribed, that kind of shit. Sounds great to me.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »
Getting a degree can be pretty tough, though. It's not a walk in the park, by any means. I'm sure it depends on what school you go to, but my sis is in graduate school right now and she studies continuously all day every day. Granted, she's in one of the top schools in the country, but its a tough field to get into. Poom, are you in graduate school, or graduated already?

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 09:58:59 AM »
I just started my first year as a Grad student.  Yeah, school sucks, but I've come to realize so does the job.  I never thought I'd be on board with Que's idea, as far as what he said above, but then again I never thought I was that naieve.  I've been working at the hospital for a little over two years and I dread every second of it.  All the pharmacists here dread every second of it.  I'm only hoping it isn't like this everywhere.

I may go into some other field relating to pharmacy if this keeps up.  I've been looking into nuclear pharmacy, which could be cool.  I'd also enjoy working for one of the major drug companies actually mixing and making the drugs.  R & D style.

EDIT: Yeah Scary, most of the job is handling insurance issues when you work retail (CVS, Brooks etc..).  It's boring as hell and it's a major pain in the ass.  Most of the scripts are actually filled by techs, the Pharmacist just checks them and then signs off.  Dealing with customers is also a huge pain in the ass.  People turn into absolute maniacs when their scripts aren't filled within three seconds, it's amazing.

The hospital environment is a little bit different, but trust me, it's just as bad.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 10:00:02 AM »
Aren't keyboards like... really dirty?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 10:43:46 AM »
Dr. Poomcgoo.

I've always found medicine to be very interesting.

Pharmacy is one of my candidates for a career. Sure, it's boring as all hell, and you have to deal with mostly old people. But hell, $90,000 a year would totally make it worth while. Megan's Brother-in-law is a PharmD, and a manager at a Taget Pharmacy or something, and he makes $109,000 a year.  He makes like $8,700 a month. Thats more money than I would know what to do with. But it sounds really nice to me. Problem is, I'm not sure I have the mind for it.

Holy shit.