Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 223425 times)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Fallout 3 - Update: FO3 GECK SDK Released! (Thanks Idol!)
« Reply #560 on: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 01:58:25 AM »
I just picked this up today (I know I'm late).  Didn't get a chance to play it yet. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #561 on: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 02:05:11 AM »
I still haven't picked it up. :(

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #562 on: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 05:20:54 AM »
I still haven't picked it up. :(

Really, Puggy?

Ah, man -- FO3 is my favorite game of 2008.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #563 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 08:02:14 AM »
Finally found the GNR station.  All this wandering around aimlessly has helped me though, as now I have missions that take me to places I've already been.  So I can just fast travel.

Woo

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #564 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
I try to avoid fast travel as much as possible.  I really enjoy kind of wandering around the wasteland.  I still really hate the subways, but the open areas are great.  For the first time I traveled southwest of Megaton and Vault 101 and found a bunch of new enemies to fight.  Good times.  I also finally went to Rivet City at level 16 and finally completed a bunch of quests that I had pending my visit to Rivet City.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #565 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 08:12:25 AM »
I like wandering, but at the same time aimlessly exploring in this game feels...i dunno, much more scary than doing the same in Oblivion.  I don't want to get somewhere and find myself getting gang-raped by a bunch of super mutants.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #566 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »
Update 1.1 released but only through Live (or autoupdate on PS3)

Update 1.1 Notes (All platforms unless otherwise noted)

New Features

Trophy support. (Playstation 3)

Bug Fixes

Friends notification no longer causes the game to pause. (Playstation 3)

Fixed occasional crashes during loading and waiting.

Friendly or neutral NPC health bars, when taking damage, no longer flicker repeatedly.

Fixed issue where certain NPCs would occasionally disappear from the game.

Fixed issue where dead NPCs would occasionally come back to life.

Fixed rendering issue with the Gatling Laser gun's tracers.

Fixed issue where the haircut menu would occasionally not appear properly.

Added ability to remap your VATS and pip boy buttons.

Fixed rare load/save issues that would cause NPCs to behave incorrectly.

Fixed issue where quest objectives would occasionally not update properly due to talking activators,
intercoms and conversations.

Using Radaway from the Pip-Boy's Status Menu repeatedly no longer crashes the game.

Player no longer gets stuck in level up menu if their skills are maxed out.

Fixed issue where multiple followers would occasionally not load into an interior.

Fixed rare issue with getting stuck in VATS mode.

Fixed rare crash with fighting NPCs with corrupted data.

In game radios will now play properly if player was listening to the radio in the Pip-Boy first. (Playstation 3)

While using a 360 controller, the lockpick menu now rumbles properly. (PC)

Fixed rare crashes while loading and saving games.

Fixed rare issue where player would fall through the floor while in VATS.

Fixed issue where SLI mode was not properly detected with nvidia graphics cards. (PC)

The Sandman perk no longer works with any children in the game.

Fixed occasional crash after scoring a critical hit in the head with a Railway Rifle.

Prevent NPCs from inadvertently dying from falling.

Fixed occasional issue where the controller would stop working properly.

Fixed crashes related to repeatedly equipping and dropping clothing and armor into the world.

Quest Fixes

Fixed several instances where quest item stayed in inventory permanently after completing quests.

Fixed an issue where the distress message would occasionally not play in Trouble on the Homefront.

In The Waters of Life quest, the Citadel gate will open properly if the player fast travels away after exiting the Taft Tunnels but before reaching the Citadel gate with Doctor Li.

For the Home Sweet Home quest, the broken protectrons in Big Town become active at the proper time.

In The American Dream quest, fixed specific issue which prevented the player from accessing their belongings in the locker by the door if they left the room first.

Fixed infinite caps exploit in Strictly Business quest.

Fixed rare instance where Dad would have no valid dialogue during The Waters of Life quest.

Prevent issue during the Finding the Garden of Eden quest where player would fade to black, instead of Raven Rock, while in combat with a follower.

Fixed several XP speech exploits with certain NPCs.

Fixed XP exploit with a robot in Fort Bannister.

Fixed issue where player's controls can become locked permanently during The American Dream.

The update also installs LIVE Marketplace and adds a Downloads section to the main menu in Fallout 3, probably for future DLC.

I have extracted the update file from my cache, it's an exe around 47mb. Don't really see the point of providing it solely through LIVE.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 09:59:21 AM by Xessive »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #567 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »
Hmmm, looks like its not only available through Live. Fileshack has it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #569 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »
Hmmm, looks like its not only available through Live. Fileshack has it.
Sweet, glad they caught on to it quick.

For some reason the patch damaged my save file so I'm gonna have to restart. It's a weird bug too, when I load my save it comes up in a totally different location, different time of day, and then it crashes in about 10 secs.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #570 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »
That's disheartening.  If that happens to me, I think I'll... well, just have to quickly finish up the game and start a new character to play through again!  WOO!

Also, freaking end of January?  That's way sooner than I was expecting for DLC, and doesn't give me any time at all to play the games I've been meaning to play!  Arg!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #571 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
Prevent NPCs from inadvertently dying from falling.
Sounds like Megaton finally got fixed! :)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #572 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »
I take it that's why I probably can't locate the guy to sell scrap to.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #573 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »
Sometimes I wish I could shove people over high edges. Like Tenpenny. I wish there was a melee attack that could push. I remember there was a mod that implemented that into Oblvion; it was a nice and subtle addition to melee combat and let me use the environment to my advantage.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #574 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »
Sometimes I wish I could shove people over high edges

For a second I had forgotten that I wasn't in a community thread and was a little worried by your first sentence.

In other news, I ordered the game on eBay for the PC.

Hurrah and stuff.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #575 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »
This game is like crack.

I decided to finally retrieve the Soil Stradivarius from Vault 92, including the trek to Vault-Tec to discover its location.  This turned into like a 4 hour escapade because of how I generally don't fast travel.

So here I am in the D.C. area, and I keep coming across ruins with Super Mutants or Raiders in them.  Of course I have to clear that and loot everything!  Then I get into the subways and I have to find every nook and cranny and see a little bit on the outside of each door, just to see what's up.  Hey!  More Raiders and Super Mutants!

Finally, I'm in the open Captial Wasteland again.  I make a beeline for Vault 92, but whaddya know?  Some hollow arrows just a little bit off center.  Gotta see what's up with those!  Found some big ass ruined building with some Deathclaws and they were kicking my ass so I backed off, but I went through all the other shit I found other than that.

Finally!  Vault 92 at last!  Then I discover the place is somewhat large, and I'm easily getting lost (I wish the game's map could handle multiple floors better).  I must have spent an hour at least just in Vault 92.  I can't find the fucking Stradivarius!  You know that saying "It's always in the last place you look."  Regardless of the fact that it's a ridiculous statement, it literally was in the last place I could possibly look.  There was a section of the vault I hit early but apparently didn't fully cover.  I missed one room.  So I had gone through the entirety of the rest of the vault and then again a second time before I got to the very first place I went and found the turn I didn't make.

After retrieving the Stradivarius, I fast travel this time to the lady that wants it, give it to her, and exit the game.  Shit!  It's 1:30am.  I have to get up in four hours!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #576 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »
Heh, you're having the true experience, then.  This game nearly destroyed me sleep-wise after I was no longer on my happy little mini-vacation that I took so I could play it for a few days without worry.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #577 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 07:47:49 PM »
I wish my fucking PS3 would stop freezing up on me so that I could keep playing this. I NEED MORE.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #578 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »
The first DLC is now on 360 and PC for 800 MS Points ($10). PS3 owners...sorry, Bethesda doesn't love you. Eurogamer did a review and its not exactly  hot item it seems. They gave it a 5/10.

Rock Paper Shotgun has a great story on their adventure in buying the DLC on PC.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 09:42:31 AM by idolminds »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #579 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »
Sounds pretty hectic.  Luckily it's an easy task to buy content on the Xbox.

The mixed reviewed, along with the fact that I've only just started playing Fallout 3 will mean I won't be picking up this DLC any time soon, if ever, unless it is offered for free.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #580 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »
Rock Paper Shotgun has a great story on their adventure in buying the DLC on PC.
LOL!  I love how in one of the comments, someone calls "points" on Live "intergalactic space bucks."

He's got a point, but that's exactly what Microsoft wants.  It's the same as the gift card principle.  Don't allow cash or true credit refunds from gift cards, and people are either stuck with a card with a little bit of money on it that the company already received (pure profit), or they are forced into buying something extra in order to use the remainder of the balance (extra revenue).  It's smart business, but very consumer unfriendly.

Honestly I think it should be illegal to allow gift cards or certificates to expire and to refuse to exchange the remaining balance for cash.

Edit:  I'm glad Microsoft keeps botching GFWL release after release.  The alternative is they succeed and it's really easy and the days are gone of retail expansions that don't have to phone home and even free downloadable content.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #581 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 02:19:47 PM »
Not sure how it will affect GFWL, but the general manager for GFWL got the boot along with the most recent wave of layoffs from MS. It says he started that position in July 2007, so I'm not sure how much he had a hand in as far as recent GFWL stuff.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6203712.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;8

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #582 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »
Yeah, Scott's post made me think of that.  I doubt they'll give up on GFWL, but it seems they have concluded the current crew can't handle the job.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #583 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 02:39:01 PM »
destructoid gives operation anchorage a slightly more favourable score of 8/10.

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-review-fallout-3-operation-anchorage-dlc-119182.phtml

hmmm... still not sure.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #584 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »
The first DLC is now on 360 and PC for 800 MS Points ($10). PS3 owners...sorry, Bethesda doesn't love you. Eurogamer did a review and its not exactly  hot item it seems. They gave it a 5/10.

I wonder if BethSoft will do what they did with Oblivion and put ALL of their DLC's on one disc and sell the DLC in a DLC Collection box at retail stores.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #585 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 07:22:25 PM »
Interesting.  I suspect the experience is somewhere between the two reviews, but I'll probably pass.  I can't afford to spend ten bucks for what only amounts to a couple hours of game.  I want to try it, but I'll probably do that later on.  Like D says, a pack may become available once it's all been released.  I guess we'll see.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #586 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »
I didn't even look to see if I have actually reached 800 points through G4WL...hehe.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #587 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 04:11:54 AM »
Giantbomb has a video walkthrough where takes you a little bit though the game.

What it does is takes you into a simulation pod where you play in the battle for Anchorage. What totally fucking sucks about it is that you lose most of your inventory, your forced down a linear path from what I could tell, and its very focused on combat. So basically they totally cut the game down to a shitty first person shooter. Your not even exploring the wasteland, I understand the battle is a story point, but fuck, this isnt Fallout.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #588 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 04:53:31 AM »
Yea I watched the video preview of it on gamespot and thought the same thing. It looks linear, and very action oriented. If I didn't know better, I'd say it looked like something that you'd find in any old FPS game, not Fallout.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #589 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
Giantbomb has a video walkthrough where takes you a little bit though the game.

What it does is takes you into a simulation pod where you play in the battle for Anchorage. What totally fucking sucks about it is that you lose most of your inventory, your forced down a linear path from what I could tell, and its very focused on combat. So basically they totally cut the game down to a shitty first person shooter. Your not even exploring the wasteland, I understand the battle is a story point, but fuck, this isnt Fallout.

I'll bet you they made this piece very-shooter like b/c of one of the main criticisms of the game from people is that it is "just mediocre when judged as a first-person shooter."

For crying out loud, Fallout 3 is a RPG that has additional shooter elements -- the shooter part is not gonna be the main game's focus. Nor does it need to be, either.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #591 on: Monday, March 02, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
Patch 1.4.0.6 released for FO3 on PC and X360

Today a new update (v1.4.0.6) is available on Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows LIVEUpdate 1.4
Notes (PC and Xbox 360).

It's a small update in preparation for the game's second DLC, The Pitt, which is slated for release this month.

New Features

* New achievements for The Pitt
    * Support for multiple downloadable content

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #592 on: Monday, March 02, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »
Crappy that it can only update through LIVE, which we all know is a bit of a bitch.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #593 on: Monday, March 02, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
A useless piece of crap, really.  It's shocking that something can be so much worse than Steam, but GFWL is disgustingly inferior.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #594 on: Monday, March 02, 2009, 06:52:26 PM »
A useless piece of crap, really.  It's shocking that something can be so much worse than Steam, but GFWL is disgustingly inferior.
Microsoft always finds a way to 1up anything on the inferiority scale.

EDIT:
Finally, it downloaded. I isolated the exe file so I can install it manually whenever I feel like it and so I wuldn't have to redownload it if I need to reinstall FO3. It's about 48MB.

It has all the fixes from v1.1 (which also added a nice shader effect on shiny objects and hair). It seems to have improved performance slightly too.

EDIT2:
The patch is now available through Gamershell.com
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 12:42:49 PM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #595 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »
Yay at Manual Patch 1.4.0.6 released for FO3 PC.

I'm glad you don't just get the damn patch through only G4WL.
That would've been annoying...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Fallout 3 - Update: Patch 1.4 Released manually and by G4WL! (Thanks Xessive!)
« Reply #596 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 03:28:28 PM »
Is it just me or is a build leap from v1.1 to v1.4 too big for just adding DLC support?

There must be some fixes in there.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 - Update: Patch 1.4 Released manually and by G4WL! (Thanks Xessive!)
« Reply #599 on: Monday, March 16, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
I'm hoping BethSoft puts all of these DLC eventually on disc together or something -- like they did with their own Oblivion DLC.

If not, I'll buy 'em from G4WL at a later date, all probably together or something.

The Pitt does look cool, though.