Author Topic: So...remember what I said about controllers and FPSs?  (Read 3540 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
So...remember what I said about controllers and FPSs?
« on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 03:40:30 PM »
Yeah...I decided to screw around with it some more. "Come on, it cant be that hard to learn." I used Halo again since it was designed for a controller. Too bad they dont enable any aim assist when using a controller on PC so its still tricky, but that just makes me more badass or something.

Anyway, I'm getting the hang of it. And strangely, I'm finding Halo more enjoyable this way.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: So...remember what I said about controllers and FPSs?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 04:01:08 PM »
Interesting, Idol.

Though, I had no real issues w/ the KB/mouse controls of Halo PC. This was actually something I praised about Halo -- especially on the aspects of driving the vehicles. They definitely got that right -- hey, given my complaints of the game, they have to get SOMETHING right! So, there was never a real reason for me to even try the gamepad for Halo PC. If the KB/mouse sucked or was a lil' wonky, it'd be worth trying for me.

It's just, the game itself really lost what it had going for it in the first half of the game for me, once The Flood actually began. Throw in the performance issues along w/ what I just mentioned in that last sentence and it just makes matters even worse. What was an outstanding start just fizzled out instantly in the 2nd half of the game -- except for the last few levels, pretty much.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 05:39:19 PM »
I think the problem with Halo on the PC with the mouse is how slow the mouse is in that game.  We're used to lightning-quick turns and razor-sharp aiming, but in Halo PC the mouse movement is much slower than most other PC FPS games so it feels out-of-place.

The slow aiming is much more controller-like, indicating maybe why it feels better on a controller.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 05:44:22 PM »
I think theres something else about how Halo handles the controller vs the mouse. Like if I push the stick to the very limit it whips the view very quickly, whereas the mouse is one speed that isn't very fast at all. It doesnt feel right at all with a mouse and was one of my complaints before. Its like...I dont know, the mouse is being mapped to the stick as opposed to being "true" mouse movements.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 08:05:24 PM »
I personally enjoyed Halo more on the Xbox, but never really thought of why.  You've probably nailed it right there.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 08:06:57 PM »
I've never tried Halo on the Xbox.  I played the game briefly on the PC before I stopped because I didn't think it was anything spectacular.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 16, 2007, 10:09:35 PM »
Well, thank you Halo. You have taught me how to use a gamepad to control a FPS. But now you need to be uninstalled because Bungie couldn't design your levels worth a shit. I've just gone into that underground assault thing...with the bridges and its snowing and stuff. Looking for the control room. Yeah...room after room of the same circular shape. After about the 9th one I said "fuck it" and uninstalled.

Doom had better levels than this.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, March 17, 2007, 07:09:55 AM »
I think the main factor for me was performance.. The Xbox version of Halo didn't stutter quite as often as the PC version. The game has checkpoints laid out about 5 minutes apart, on the Xbox it's seamless, but on the PC the game freezes for a few seconds every time you get to a checkpoint.. It was pretty tedious.

I got the hang of the mouse on Halo PC, it feels a lot like the mouse movement in Deus Ex IW. I can generally get used to any mouse-related movements, it's just a matter of adjusting my hand and arm movement. I have a lot more detail in controlling how I want to move my view, as oppose to the over-simplified thumb-tip.

Besides that, most PC games have a mouse acceleration sensor.. So how fast you move the mouse as well as how far makes a difference. The analogue stick can't compare.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 17, 2007, 07:33:15 AM »
I think the main factor for me was performance.. The Xbox version of Halo didn't stutter quite as often as the PC version. The game has checkpoints laid out about 5 minutes apart, on the Xbox it's seamless, but on the PC the game freezes for a few seconds every time you get to a checkpoint.. It was pretty tedious.

I got the hang of the mouse on Halo PC, it feels a lot like the mouse movement in Deus Ex IW. I can generally get used to any mouse-related movements, it's just a matter of adjusting my hand and arm movement. I have a lot more detail in controlling how I want to move my view, as oppose to the over-simplified thumb-tip.

Besides that, most PC games have a mouse acceleration sensor.. So how fast you move the mouse as well as how far makes a difference. The analogue stick can't compare.

Yes, I always change the mouse speed/acceleration in just about every game I have.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 17, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Some what related - I was playing Halo 2 last night I like it and all but I think the designers got a little bored in parts; repeating rooms and stuff.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 17, 2007, 04:00:44 PM »
Maybe thats a part of Halo as a franchise...repeating rooms. Wonder if Halo 3 will continue the trend.

Its actually a shame. I was enjoying myself before it started happening.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 17, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »
Maybe thats a part of Halo as a franchise...repeating rooms. Wonder if Halo 3 will continue the trend.

Its actually a shame. I was enjoying myself before it started happening.

This was VERY ANNOYING in Halo 1.

Many of the rooms and spots where enemies were placed looked exactly the same. Not evenly slightly modified, even. It's as if they cut and pasted them directly.

This looked VERY much true in the part w/ The Monitor. I almost thought I was having deja vu lapses there -- didn't I do this part already???

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 08:59:27 AM »
Yeah, that was a huge drawback in Halo. I found the interior level design very crude, over simplified, and extremely repetitive.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 11:48:50 AM »
Yeah, that was a huge drawback in Halo. I found the interior level design very crude, over simplified, and extremely repetitive.

Agreed 100%.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 02:45:03 PM »
Totally, I was really into Halo at the start and then the repeating rooms and The Flood got to me.  I think a lot of it was how rushed the game was, and Halo 2 was a bit better, but still suffered from more of the same.  I really hope it's something they fix in the future.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »
Totally, I was really into Halo at the start and then the repeating rooms and The Flood got to me.
Agreed.

I think a lot of it was how rushed the game was
Agreed.

and Halo 2 was a bit better, but still suffered from more of the same.  I really hope it's something they fix in the future.
Is there less of the repetition in Halo 2????

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 07:59:08 PM »
I didn't notice it nearly as much, but I could be wrong. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »
Well, we can find out for ourselves soon enough! Only on Windows Vista!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 08:27:56 PM »
Well, we can find out for ourselves soon enough! Only on Windows Vista!

Yeah, so given the bolded above, maybe I'll find out a few years from now.....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Monday, March 19, 2007, 05:24:42 AM »
Just for kicks I ran the Vista Update Advisor.. Apparently my system is ready to run Vista, except it's short on some drive space. Not bad. I just feel better knowing that even though I can, I choose not to run Vista :D