Author Topic: Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition joins GOG  (Read 1367 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition joins GOG
« on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »
Another World (also known as Out of This World) from Eric Chahi and Delphine Software joins GOG.
DRM-Free and going for $9.99 currently.

In the 15th Anniversary Edition, apart from a remastered version of the game, you will find a 20 minutes long "making of" video of Another World, the technical handbook, the development diary and the soundtrack remixed by the original composer JF Freitas.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition joins GOG
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »
Played this game on SNES and loved it.  10 bones is probably a bit too much for me to bite though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 07:03:23 PM »
Played this game on SNES and loved it.  10 bones is probably a bit too much for me to bite though.

If it goes on sale, I'll note it in here.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 08:38:31 AM »
I got it for the Sega Genesis (Out of this World) when it was new.  After the novelty wore off, I was sorry I spent the money.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »
I've played versions of this game. The art is cool, but the gameplay kinda sucks. It doesn't seem like you can get through the game without already knowing whats ahead of you and the exact sequence of moves needed to get through. So you go ahead, get killed, go back and try again, get past that part only to be killed by the next thing. Repeat until credits.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 09:52:14 AM »
If I remember correctly, the idea was to bring the Dragon's Lair school of gaming to consoles with tiny cart sizes.  The result was more bad than good.  At least the art in laser-disc games was way better than what consoles could do at the time.  The gameplay sucks equally across the different technologies.

Edit:  A much better game that originated from this trend is Flashback.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »
I've played versions of this game. The art is cool, but the gameplay kinda sucks. It doesn't seem like you can get through the game without already knowing whats ahead of you and the exact sequence of moves needed to get through. So you go ahead, get killed, go back and try again, get past that part only to be killed by the next thing. Repeat until credits.

That's basically it.  I actually watched a walkthrough of the game yesterday and it took the guy no more than 15 minutes to go all the way through the game.  I mean it was a speed run obviously, but it gives you a good idea of how short the game actually is.  The mechanic you describe is just the artificial way of lengthening the experience. 

It was one of the first games that ever kinda spooked me out.  Very creepy atmosphere.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 11:39:59 AM »
Oh, and I never realized there was a sequel to the game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 01:45:52 PM »
Oh, and I never realized there was a sequel to the game.

Eric Chahi was not involved in the sequel, Heart of the Alien. Eric didn't want a sequel to this game, even though he left Another World's ending ambiguous purposely.

If I recall, it was Interplay who demanded the sequel - and even had it made.

Never played Heart of the Alien, though...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
If I remember correctly, the idea was to bring the Dragon's Lair school of gaming to consoles with tiny cart sizes.  The result was more bad than good.  At least the art in laser-disc games was way better than what consoles could do at the time.  The gameplay sucks equally across the different technologies.

Edit:  A much better game that originated from this trend is Flashback.

I do remember Flashback being good.  I remember watching someone play Another World (Sega CD?) and thinking it was retarded.  Like, a monster chasing you and if you ran onto the wrong screen or jumped over the wrong pit you died, even though you made it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »
I do remember Flashback being good.  I remember watching someone play Another World (Sega CD?) and thinking it was retarded.  Like, a monster chasing you and if you ran onto the wrong screen or jumped over the wrong pit you died, even though you made it.

Oh, I loved Flashback.
I did like Fade To Black, but nowhere even close to as much as I loved Flashback.