Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 36394 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #160 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 07:35:19 PM »
Wow, that looks really cool.

I've ventured into the nether...

I made my portal, and braved the dangers of pigmen and ghasts. I managed to build my tunnel/path to where my next portal will be, which will lead to my snowy area for playing around in during the holidays. What I did was used a program called Carograph to make a map of my overworld. 1 pixel = 1 block. 1 space in the nether = 8 in the overwolrd, so I counted the pixels on the map and divided by 8. 173 blocks west, and 56 blocks north. I built my path in the nether and finally got to my end point, now I just need to build the portal and see if my calculations were correct.

The last stretch was a pain in the ass. It was in the middle of a massive chamber over a chasm, so I had to edge build a bridge out into the middle of it with ghasts shooting fireballs at me the whole time. Luckily cobblestone is fireball resistant, and they can't see through glass. I'll post a screenshot of my bridge soon, probably once I finish it off and build the other portal.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #161 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
Minecraft Alpha 1.2.1, Minecraft Server 0.2.3
The server update is not mandatory, but you might want to update just to make sure.

This is a bugfixes only update:

* Signs on the sides of cacti no longer crash the game
* The player won’t get stuck on the top of the world in multiplayer
* Reverted mob spawning back to the old code, it was far to annoying. I have plans on what to do with this.
* Fixed the leaf particle colors
* Reduced CPU usage for monster spawning, but there’s still a lot of work to be done to reduce lag on SMP servers.
* Attempted to fix the portal dupe bug where you could exit through a different (new) one than the one you entered through.

About the portals, it’s possible that two portals can lead to the same portal in the Nether. This is because the space down there is compressed by a factor of 8, and I haven’t come up with a good way to fix this yet.
I might just end up doing an explicit one-to-one binding between portal pairs, but that’s nontrivial as it should survive the portal being temporarily destroyed. If you TNT a portal then rebuild it, you’d expect it to still lead to the same place, right?

Hmm.

More bug updates are coming next week, mainly related to survival mode multi player.

[edit:]

Client 1.2.1_01 fixes armor. And I forgot to mention that Music will play in multiplayer now as well.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #162 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »
I'm not sure on that mob spawning change. Actually I guess it does seem like less now, but I've heard a lot of talk about mobs (creepers and spiders) spawning during the daytime. I'm not 100% sure, but I keep thinking mobs are spawning right near me. I'll head out to work somewhere, do a 260 turn looking to make sure it's safe, get to work, and have a creeper blow up on me 5-10 seconds later.

I mean, I could be mistaken and maybe I'm not checking good enough, but I'd swear the damn things are spawning near me.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »
Ace, it must have taken like a full day, or two, to get all that glass. I didn't realize at first, but that's a shitload of glass. It took me forever just to make my bridge in the Nether, and it's only about 60 yards long, with 6 blocks of glass per yard. First off you need a shitload of sand, then you have to wait for it all to cook.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »
Keep in mind I've only been playing the same SMP map, with two friends. My buddy Luke is in recovery from WoW so he's used to grinding endlessly. He mined a LOT of the sand I used for the top 1/4. The bottom 3/4 was all sand I got from knocking down two mountains just over the horizon, but those resources sat in a chest for about a month while I thought about what I wanted to use the glass for. I originally mined all the glass for my underwater dome, but there was a LOT left over.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »
Here's some screenshots of my path through the nether and my base. The nether section is really just the end, since the rest of it is really just a rough path carved out, mostly 2x3 tunnel sections with no curves and no view o the outside world.

Here's a shot of my floating bridge in the nether, with the portal  in the dome at the end:

Here's looking down the bridge tunnel at the portal:

Looking at the portal room up close:

And here's the view of the other side, where eventually I've build my winter wonderland:

Here's the overworld view of the portal back near my main base:

The same portal again, but from a distance:

And here's a night time aerial view of my base as it exists currently:

Actually, I should probably light the bridge somehow so it looks a little more interesting from the outside.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
Very cool! I really think it's fascinating how everyone instinctively builds castle-type towers. I certainly did for my first few ones. You can see the evidence of that in the pics, before the lighthouse got knocked down. Didn't make much sense having it right next to the other tower. I've started building little pods that will sit off the sides, and have aquariums in them with trees coming out the top. Should be fun!

Bug-wise, I hope Notch fixes the item dupe / durability hack soon. The temptation to just have your diamond pickaxe never run out is far too tempting...
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 02:22:25 PM »
What the hell is this game?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 02:31:21 PM »

haha! I thought I'd seen you in this thread a few times already. But basically, it's legos, with creatures to fuck with you. (well, not everything works in multiplayer, like creatures won't attack you)

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »

Basically, you mine resources to craft other items to build a house to protect yourself from monsters that come out at night, then you harness electricity with redstone dust and the sky's the limit. I'm going to build another tower with working light switches at some point, and an automated railcar / freight system to drive between various places.

But for now, multiplayer doesn't have some of the features, so I'm wasting time building cool structures... for no particular reason whatsoever, besides the fact it's fun for some reason.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »
First person adult Lego survival simulator.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »
Here's one way to put it:

You start off with nothing, and you have until nightfall to find a safe place. When night comes, the monsters come out.

So you punch a tree for wood. You make wooden planks from it, make a crating station and sticks out of it, then make a wooden pick and shovel. Use the pick to dig out some stone, and use that with some wood to make a stone pick/shovel. Dig up dirt blocks, stone blocks, sand blocks, and place them to make a home. Make a furnace, power it with wood or coal, and heat the sand to make glass. Kill a pig and eat his meat for health. Or cook the meat in the furnace and it gives more health back.

Basically everything you gather leads to more and more complicated and advanced items and equipment. Eventually you end up with diamond tools and weapons, massive cities, and portals to a hellish dimension called the Nether.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #172 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
I keep coming into this thread.

My mind gets fucked.

And I leave.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »
OK I get it now.

Suddenly with the zombie stuff, it all makes sense now.

I want to play this soon.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #174 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 10:25:12 PM »
I trust you guys not to grief my tower, so if you want to explore it, just pm me and I'll give you the IP. It would be cool if you guys wanted to contribute too.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 03:28:58 AM »
BTW, that's a pretty good piece by PA. Someone post a screenie of the zombies when they get the chance.

So you have to host your own thing when you play or is there a public server?

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 09:12:03 AM »
BTW, that's a pretty good piece by PA. Someone post a screenie of the zombies when they get the chance.

So you have to host your own thing when you play or is there a public server?

There are TONS of public multiplayer servers you could play on. But be careful, if you just hop into an open one people can and will destroy your shit. I play on a private server for this reason.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 10:30:53 AM »
Basically multiplayer works like most other PC MP games, but there's no server browser. You have to know the IP of the server you want to connect to, but I think there's a list somewhere on minecraft.net. The one that I logged onto a while back required me to register on their message boards before I could see the post with the login info.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »
Someone post a screenie of the zombies when they get the chance.

Some of these are a little dark I guess, but you get the basic idea. All enemies spawn in the dark, not in well lit areas. So unless you're in a cave or underground somewhere, monsters spawn only at night.

Zombies
Attack Type: melee
Sunlight Reaction: sunlight sets them on fire, killing them

Skeletons
Attack Type: they shoot at you with a bow and arrows
Sunlight Reaction:  Sunlight sets them on fire, killing them

Spiders
Sunlight Reaction: None. They can still attack you freely in the sunlight.

Creepers
Attack Type: They get close to you, then explode, leaving a crater.
Sunlight Reaction: None. They can still attack you freely in the sunlight.
Notes: The explosion damage is enough to kill you in one shot if they're right up against you. They hiss (like the sound of a fuse burning) just before they blow up. To kill them, you either shoot them with arrows, or use a hit and run tactic; if you get in close enough to hit them with a sword, then back up as they get knocked back from the blow, they will stop hissing and not explode.

Zombie Pigmen
Sunlight Reaction: Unknown. I don't think it's possible for them to spawn in the main world, and they can't travel through portals.
Notes: They are passive unless attacked. When they attack, they attack in groups. So if you attack one, all the ones around him will attack you.

Ghasts
Attack Type: They shoot fireballs at you, that ignite any surface they hit, and destroy most block types within a small radius of the impact.
Sunlight Reaction: Unknown. I thought I'd read that a ghast can randomly appear near your portal in the main world, as if he came through it, but I've never seen it happen.
Notes: It may not look like it from the picture, but they are HUGE. they're about 8-10 blocks in size, square, plus the tentacles. They fly, and attack from a pretty big distance. Also, most of the blocks in The Nether are what I call brimstone. Brimstone will catch fire and burn forever, so be careful.

Out of all of these, the Creepers and Ghasts are the most deadly. Creepers make no sound until the hiss, so they often manage to sneak up on you. The ghasts just relentlessly shoot fireballs at you from long distances, setting the environment on fire, and destroying blocks around you.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 02:55:27 PM »
Wow this is awesome. Nicely done, and well presented. I am going to start playing this in a couple of days.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #180 on: Monday, November 08, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »
Official skin pack support coming tomorrow. So you won't have to go dicking around in the .jar file anymore to change textures.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #181 on: Monday, November 08, 2010, 04:02:01 PM »
Official skin pack support coming tomorrow. So you won't have to go dicking around in the .jar file anymore to change textures.

Hell. Yes.

The mucking around with .jar files is the only reason I'm not using custom textures. I tried once, and it corrupted my .jar and I had to copy it back over from the backup. he had already announced the coming support for texture packs, so I just decided to wait for that.

Actually I'll probably make my own texture pack. With most of the ones I've seen, I like some of the textures, but not others. So it's either mix and match, or make my own.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #182 on: Monday, November 08, 2010, 04:29:25 PM »
I do a mix and match, usually. I really like the GUI from the CleanPack (or whatever its called). And now it'll be nice to switch easily between something detailed like Painterly and something more abstract and cartoony like...uh...whatever the one it is U used before that I forget the name of.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #183 on: Monday, November 08, 2010, 11:55:41 PM »
I had the same experience with .jar files. No fun. Can't wait for the texture pack support!
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »
Ok, so here's some Minecraft updates

I decided to make another smaller tower out in the water.

Almost finished.

And here's the new project:

I got bored with my old towers and ever since I started this game I wanted to build an epic dome, so here it is!

Here you can see my guy with his hockey helmet

This dome is gonna be freakin epic.

ZOMG mobs in SMP!

« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 04:41:31 PM by Ace_O_Spades »
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #185 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
haha, holy shit.

I've had to start playing on peaceful while in the Nether. He recently made it so ghasts are immune to fire and lava, so they no longer periodically kill themselves off. So they get out of control and my game starts locking up. Apparently there's a memory leak related to them.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 06:19:45 PM »
Oh the joys of being a willing alpha tester. Do you wanna join up on our SMP server? My buddy is working more now so he doesn't have the time to admin the server, so I'm taking it over. I can add anyone who wants to the whitelist.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 07:29:57 PM »
Sure, you can add me. I don't know how much I'll be playing though. I've barely touched Minecraft since the recent WoW patch came out. My username is Fleshfeast. (that's how it works, right? Usernames?)

I think he actually updates to add working health and monsters to multiplayer.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
Yep, health and mobs in SMP now. It's a lot more fun. I pm'd you the ip
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #189 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 07:56:08 AM »
This is the totally wild-west public freebuild server I play on. There are some cool cities to explore, and I've got a building in one of them.

"New Canada" - 208.92.232.59:25565
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »
Big news! Minecraft is going beta on Dec 20th!

So if you havent bought it by now, you probably should.
When the game enters beta, the price will rise to 14.95 Euro.

We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise.
Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free.
The only weird thing is who wants to pay $15 for the beta and not get updates when final is released?

EDIT

Notch cleared this up a bit on twitter. Beta gets you all updates including Retail. Expansions might cost, however. Alpha testers get everything. Woo!
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 12:59:22 PM by idolminds »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #192 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 12:09:43 PM »
HUGE update for Minecraft. New mob, dispensers that shoot arrows, you can smelt logs to get coal, lots more.

Full summary here

The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #193 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »
Seems like an awesome update. Gah, need to get that video card so I can play again.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #194 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 12:52:52 PM »
As much as I enjoy new stuff, it would be awesome if he, you know, concentrated on fixing or completing things that are already in the game.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #195 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »
As much as I enjoy new stuff, it would be awesome if he, you know, concentrated on fixing or completing things that are already in the game.

Such as? Every update it seems like they fix something new.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #196 on: Friday, January 21, 2011, 07:46:44 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。