Author Topic: Steam to drop XP support with latest update  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Steam to drop XP support with latest update
« on: Wednesday, July 18, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »
Steam to drop XP support with latest update

The latest Steam client update released today will end support of Windows XP SP1 or lower from August 31, 2012.

The update, which fixes errors such as client crashes, HTTP proxy related download issues, and a number of other bugs, warns users that by installing the update, "... for users on XP SP1 or lower, support will be dropped August 31st 2012."

Users affected by the update will have to upgrade their operating system in order to receive support.

I would infer that it may still run on XP but official support will not be available. Plus that's only for SP1.. Most XP users I know are on SP3.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Steam to drop XP support with latest update
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 06:24:56 AM »
Even I am on SP2.  I have access to 4 computers, 2 here and 2 at Sandy's.  They're all XP SP2.  Heh.  I don't think any other old Windows version has stayed in the mainstream for so long, not even 98SE.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 06:52:43 AM »
If you are still on XP SP1, well something is wrong with you.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 06:56:38 AM »
Even I am on SP2.  I have access to 4 computers, 2 here and 2 at Sandy's.  They're all XP SP2.  Heh.  I don't think any other old Windows version has stayed in the mainstream for so long, not even 98SE.
Yeah, XP was originally scheduled for decommission a year after Vista was released. Apparently there were so many lash backs from major corporations like Intel and various other firms who were against switching to Vista and insisted that Microsoft prolong support for XP; which led to them to extend official support from 2008 to 2014 (wow).

And Scott is right, ;D