Author Topic: PS Jailbreak Hacks the PS3  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
PS Jailbreak Hacks the PS3
« on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »
Apparently a company named PS Jailbreak has announced a new hacking solution that doesn't require you to open up your PS3 or add any chips to the machine. It will work with the old PS3 and the new Slim as well. The device is a USB flash drive that you plug into the PS3 and launches a GUI that walks you through the setup of the software.

EDIT:
Apparently the site is down at the moment. Just checked at www.downornot.com.. Weird.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: PS Jailbreak Hacks the PS3
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »
Sites dead since its getting linked from all over the internet and can't handle the traffic.

Obviously the piracy aspect of this is bad, but I'm looking forward to a neo-geo emulator. :D

EDIT
From reading around it sounds like this is the real deal. And apparently it was an "inside job", that this thing could only have been made with tools and knowledge from official dev stuff. Theres going to be a shitstorm at Sony trying to clean this up (like revoking all authorization keys and every PS3 dev having to re-register for new ones), new games will start requiring a minimum firmware version to run, etc. Good times.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 08:08:41 PM by idolminds »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »
This is terrible. But I am sure a software update will override this.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 20, 2010, 05:40:26 AM »
Isn't jailbreaking legal now?  Or is that just for mobile phones?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 20, 2010, 07:36:44 AM »
It's big news. The PS3 is renowned for its level of security.

The PS3 already requires the most up-to-date firmware to log into PSN, which encompasses access to the PSN Store and game updates.

I expect Sony will deal with it like Microsoft: by banning accounts that log in from hacked PS3's.

There must be some legality to jailbreaking on all devices, considring the company is public and its name is "PS3 Jailbreak." That's just speculation though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 20, 2010, 08:23:32 AM »
It should be legal.  It's your device, and you should be able to do whatever the hell you want to it.  Having said that, Sony doesn't have to allow new games or online services to work with modified PS3s.  I'm sure that's how they'll fight back.  But the thing is that this isn't even a permanent mod.  It's a USB dongle, which can be plugged in or pulled off at any time.  Jekyll or Hyde in an instant.  New PS3 firmware is the only way to counteract that, and my guess is that this company will issue firmware revisions to its USB device to match (if they can).  Same cat and mouse game as the PSP.

I'm assuming this thing is real, which so far is not really established.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 20, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »
I think its real. Some sites have one already and are confirming it works. Pretty crazy. Its apparently similar to the pandora battery for the PSP, where it was originally meant for Sony repair service to get low level access to the machine with a bit of hardware. The PSP one got "leaked" because a system came back from repair with one of those service batteries still in it. No idea how the PS3 one was figured out.