Author Topic: Oblivion - MODS  (Read 15349 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Oblivion - MODS
« on: Saturday, October 07, 2006, 09:05:31 PM »
NEW - 9-13-2010:
Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (Total Conversion) -> Released with English subtitled translation.
Valcan_S's instructions on how to install it, if you have problems installing it.

Que's List Of Oblivion Mods
Part 1 - Que's List #1
Part 2 - Que's List #2
Part 3 - Obliuio Latina - A Latin Oblivion Mod
Part 4 - Bow Of Bones Mod.

Xessive's List of Oblivion Mods
Multi-TES4 - Multi-Player Oblivion.
Sudden Violence Mod (AKA Push, Shove, Die).
Immersive Interface.

OLD:
I want a thread on Oblivion mods. I don't have many -- so, what's good that y'all have tested??

I think Oblivion's great as is, but probably like Morrowind -- a great game gets even greater once modders also add to it and support it like there's no tomorrow. :)

Now, here's an article about how "modders saved Oblivion" (hard to save a great game, I could understand "saving it" if it was sucky and completely broken, but I bet it's much improved w/ mods):
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/07/how-modders-saved-oblivion/

How modders saved Oblivion [update 1]
Posted Oct 7th 2006 5:23PM by Ross Miller
Filed under: Hacks, PC, Microsoft Xbox 360, RPGs
[Update: We covered this exact article yesterday. Consider this a different angle and color me foolish.]

Pixel Rage has compiled a list of user-made modifications for Oblivion that should never have been necessary (i.e. features that should have been in the game out of the box). Oblivion, for all its praise, is strewn with bugs and other maladies that degrade the overall experience. You might find that harsh and overcritical, but we think its warranted to hold a title that spent over three years in development (on an engine the developer had been using for almost eight years) to higher standards.

The modifications listed include:

* More realistic weather patterns, vegetation, and habitat, including the addition of birds and insects.
    * Murkier, more transparent / realistic water effects.
    * Light that shines through windows at night.
    * Adding side effects to drinking too much wine (it's about time we get double vision for dipping to much into Skingrad's finest ... ).
    * Inventory list customization.
    * Interjections of silence within the constant soundtrack (a clever way to add to the atmosphere).
    * Unique icons for spells.
    * Various quest-specific fixes.

It's wonderful to see the community perfect the game, but what are Xbox 360 owners to do? When the "vampire cure" quest was found to be broken, PC users could fix the problem themselves, while console gamers were forced to reload an earlier save (or, in worst situations, restart the game). Bethesda is currently working on Fallout 3 using a variation of the same engine used in Morrowind / Oblivion; let's hope they get the kinks out this time.

Basically, that is based on an article of what this guy, PixelRage, feels are 13 mods that BethSoft should've made, not the modders.

Link:
http://www.pixelrage.ro/articles/13-Oblivion-mods-that-should-not-have-been-inhouse/261,0.html

So, yeah -- it is great for modders to have a SDK. They can really do wonders w/ a game -- fixing bugs, adding features, etc etc. :)

So, besides the 13 named there, what-else are there for great Oblivion mods, in your opinion???

Que, I bet you still play Oblivion, so you probably got a nice big list of mods in your Oblivion game -- one probably bigger than the one at Mind's Eye:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/The_Minds_Eye/index.php?showtopic=7420

And probably more than the Old Top 10 from GameSpy:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=41

And more than BethSoft's Official Mods:
http://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductList.aspx?SubCategoryId=1

So, Oblivion players who play w/ mods -- what do you all personally recommend for Oblivion mods, official and non-official???

« Last Edit: Sunday, November 20, 2011, 11:26:15 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Oblivion Mods Thread -- Official & Non-Official Mods/Plug-In's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 01:53:26 AM »
You can always count on the community to give itself what it wants ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 05:33:21 AM »
You can always count on the community to give itself what it wants ;D

Yes, indeed. :)

Where's Que? I need an extensive of good non-official mods to try! :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 09:01:39 AM »
Well, I don't have Oblivion installed since my old drive died, so... why don't you just use what people posted at TME?  I have my data files directory backed up somewhere, I guess...

All right, since I'm nice:

Book Jackets Oblivion - Adds high-res, unique book covers to all books.

Book Placing - Allows you to rotate books to properly put them on shelves.  Not actually that useful.

BTMod v220 - Sexy interface mode.  I think we all already use it.  I also use the *dark* version, which is just *awesome*.

Better Wine - Wine bottle retextures.

Cyrodilic Brandy - New mesh/texture for the brandy.

DLCs - Yes, I have all the official mods.

Fishclub - It's a fish, but it's a club.  Fuck yeah.

Illuminated Within Reborn - Or revamped or re-something.  Files just say IWR.  Anyway, it's the one that makes the houses turn lights on and off at various times of the day.  Completely great.

Kart Passive Beasts - Something to chill out the wildlife (I don't like fighting dogs and bears and junk).  I heavily modified it for my own purposes, though, as the original mod was sort of stupid.

Level Slow - Comes in a variety of flavors that let you slow down how fast you level.  I'm using the 3x longer version.

Natural Habitat by Max Tael - This guy has done some great stuff, but it's all just a little bit too buggy for me.  Including this.  It adds birds and bugs that fly around, and they're really great, but they spawn "wrong."  Like in the cities you'll find that too many bugs spawn, and in the same places.  If I could figure out how to edit that out, it'd be great, but I can't.  Otherwise it's awesome.

NoLoad - Get rid of little streaming loading message.

Potion Sorter - Renames all the potions and sorts them in logical ways.  I think I stopped using this out of fear that it would screw up future official mods or something, but I don't remember.  It's still good.

At Home Alchemy - Not a perfect mod, but it basically allows you to do alchemy without having the gear in your inventory.  Just use it and it glows, bringing up the interface when you hit the mortar and pestle.  If you want to pick them up, just do it in sneak mode.  The bugs revolve around anyone seeing you use the items thinking you're a thief, even if they're your own.

Weather Inside v1.2 - Lets you hear weather indoors.  Immersive.

Younger Hotter NPCs v1.0 - Horrible name, good mod.  Just makes the chicks less ugly.  It isn't extreme in particular.  Just makes people look less haggard.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 10:13:49 AM »
Thanks Que --- you freakin' rule! :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 10:23:20 AM »
That's not actually everything I use, either.  There are a variety of retexture mods I use (none that are landscape or building oriented) that don't have ESPs.  For instance, I have a mod that makes potion bottles look way better, but I don't remember what it's called.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 11:06:14 AM »
I know of BTMod, but what did you mean by *dark* version of *BTMod*?

Curious: Does BTMod overwrite any original Oblivion files or anything??? So if I turned BTMod off, nothing would anything Oblivion go act funny????

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 11:31:18 AM »
I don't remember how all the components work, but I think a lot of it goes into the data directory and overwrites what's in the BSAs.  Doesn't actually overwrite anything, of course, but it uses those files instead.  I'm not sure if the raw BTmod does that or just uses an ESP/ESM, but I think the dark version stuff does.  Anyway, the dark version basically just changes the horrible blinding-white menu stuff to a nice sort of dark leather texture which is just sexy as fuck.  Check it out right here, screens included.  And I think I may have been wrong.  This isn't an extension of BT mod, it's just another UI mod that works with it.  There's a loading screens version linked there too, which makes those dark as well.  I can't recommend it enough.  I can't play the game without it now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 11:50:02 AM »
Ooooh, damn cool. :)
BTMod looks awesome, alone and all.

DarkUI seems to look nice w/ those screens and all.

So, when you gonna reinstall Oblivion? :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »
Whenever I get my stupid HD RMAed successfully.  Fucking Seagate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 01:11:32 PM »
Whenever I get my stupid HD RMAed successfully.  Fucking Seagate.
:( @ that.

BTW, I put BTMod in -- that mod's great. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 08:11:51 PM »
FOr the interface I personally like Immersive Interface. Cool installer too, Harfleur worked pretty hard on it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:24:01 AM »
FOr the interface I personally like Immersive Interface. Cool installer too, Harfleur worked pretty hard on it.

I like how I can customize it and all, but it's just TOO SMALL FOR ME when running in 1024x768 -- the health bars, the icons, all of that!!

It'd be better it had another option in which it could be a lil' smaller than the original Oblivion config, but could be bigger than what their II automatically does to my toolbar (whether I like it or not).

If they can add this option in a patch, I'd definitely use it -- b/c I am not lowering my res' below 1024x768.

« Last Edit: Monday, October 09, 2006, 10:53:30 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 01:16:24 PM »
Haha yeah, I know what you mean :) I run my game at 1024x768, and that's how I felt when I first used it. I like BTMod, but eventually I really wanted a centred compass so I gave II a shot again, and the tiny size didn't bother me much anymore. Actually I grew to like how non-intrusive it is :P I added a custom font as well.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »
I run in 1280x1024, so yeah, I can say I didn't like that one much.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2006, 08:58:39 PM »
Since Pug's gotten interested in this again, I'm updating with a few new mods I use.

Advanced Water Modification - Makes the water better.  I don't recall exactly why, but I tried several water mods and this one was the best I tried.

BuyLockpicks.esp - Not sure where I grabbed this.  Just threw in some places where you could get lockpicks even if you weren't a thief.  Was pretty annoying not being able to do that without starting the thief guild quests.

Capes and Cloaks by Someone1074 and Belenos - Pretty good capes and cloaks.  Really just a visual thing, but it can be a nice touch.

Crowded Cities v1.2 - By BkWyrm13.  Adds random people that just wander around the city.  Makes cities feel a whole hell of a lot less dead than they did in stock Oblivion.  I use the 30% version of this one and it works nicely.  The random people don't interfere with anything, HOWEVER the mod does add some pickpockets/criminals/vampires that spawn rarely.  I chose to use the editor to eliminate those altogether because I found them hugely annoying.  Otherwise the mod is tops.

Crowded Roads 2.0 - MaXiMUS and BkWyrm13.  Same thing as above but on roads!  Adds regular folks, merchants, and adventurers to roads randomly.  It's a nice touch when you're just out for a walk.

CT-Com's Torch Compendium - Adds a few different types of torches that have different looks and light properties.  I just thought I'd be more inclined to use torches if they were a little different.  It turns out I was wrong, but it's still a nice little mod.

Natural Vegetation by Max Tael - Basically just makes everything bigger and more bushy (including trees).  Part of the Natural Environments package.  It's cool, but is really a taste thing.  I think it took me a while to really feel like I liked this better than stock Oblivion, but I'm pretty sure that I did in the end.

Okay, that's it for the updates!  Download away!

Also, for Pug -- get those distance texture things I was talking about.  Just go to Morrowind Summit or wherever and start looking, you'll find them.  You'll just throw them in a directory and then edit your archiveinvalidation.txt file with the new filenames.  Piece of cake and it makes the soupy backgrounds so much better.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »
Sweet! Hey what do you use for improving the distance textures?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, December 21, 2006, 02:05:53 PM »
Sweet! Hey what do you use for improving the distance textures?
Look up a guy called Jarrod; he made some texture replacements. There's also Loreroth, who made some LOD normal map replacements.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Oblivion Mods Thread -- UPDATE: Unofficial Sean Bean & Patrick Stweart Skins
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 10:56:13 AM »
hahaha that's awesome!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Oblivion Mods Thread -- UPDATE: Unofficial Sean Bean & Patrick Stweart Skins
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 10:57:09 AM »
Those are actually pretty damned good for unofficial mods.  I'm impressed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 10:57:19 AM »
Yeah, now -- all we need is a Lynda Carter skin, right???

Who was *she* in Oblivion....?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 10:57:57 AM »
Those are actually pretty damned good for unofficial mods.  I'm impressed.

That's what I thought, too.

I saw the skinned pics and looked at real pics of them -- and was like, "Damn, that's pretty good!"

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 10:58:13 AM »
She was Nords/Orcs.  No individual character.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 10:59:25 AM »
She was Nords/Orcs.  No individual character.

Damn, what good is that? :P

She should've done a character voice!!!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 11:29:39 AM »
Who does Lucien LaChance's voice? It was unique compared to all the other voices (except Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean of course).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 01:30:24 PM »
Who does Lucien LaChance's voice? It was unique compared to all the other voices (except Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean of course).
Lucien was voiced by Wes Johnson

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Oblivion Mods Thread -- Push Shove Die!
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 04:12:50 AM »
Push Shove Die

After played Dark Messiah, coming back to Oblivion took a bit of adjustment. The was the major part that made fighting a little more difficult was that in DM I had gotten used to kicking my opponents to their doom or just to break their attacks. This mod looks like it'll make Oblivion all the more fun :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Oblivion Mods Thread -- Push Shove Die!
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »
Push Shove Die

After played Dark Messiah, coming back to Oblivion took a bit of adjustment. The was the major part that made fighting a little more difficult was that in DM I had gotten used to kicking my opponents to their doom or just to break their attacks. This mod looks like it'll make Oblivion all the more fun :P

Ooooh....this is interesting.

Though, knocking out your fatigue a minor percentage?? Sounds too powerful, if over-used. Maybe that should depend on your character's stats on how much fatigue's drained on you and your enemy????

Or it should depend on a setting in the game that you set, on if it should even take any fatigue away???

I dunno....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 04:17:18 PM »
Just checked it out in-depth. It's not bad, but it doesn't work with physics the way 'kick' works in Dark Messiah. It's kinda like a 'touch' spell that only affects actors. Good attempt though.

It would be nice if someone could figure out a way that's basically an attack that only affects fatigue (kinda like hand-to-hand) and pushes anything with in-game physics.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Oblivion Mods Thread -- UPDATE: Oblivion in Latin?
« Reply #31 on: Friday, February 16, 2007, 11:20:46 PM »
Wow that's pretty cool.  I studied Latin in high school.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 06:52:57 AM »
Whoa -- In Latin?!?!?!

Hmmm....that's an interesting choice.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 08:08:59 AM »
That's pretty cool :)

A friend of mine and I were actually considering attempting to translate Morrowing in Arabic! A lot of the Morrowind names, locations, and general cultural styles translate almost perfectly into Arabic. But we realized two guys would have a pretty hard time undertaking such an enormous project, and we got excited about Oblivion.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 04:00:31 PM »
That's pretty cool :)

A friend of mine and I were actually considering attempting to translate Morrowing in Arabic! A lot of the Morrowind names, locations, and general cultural styles translate almost perfectly into Arabic. But we realized two guys would have a pretty hard time undertaking such an enormous project, and we got excited about Oblivion.
Morrowind in Arabic.....hmmm....that'd be interesting....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Monday, February 26, 2007, 01:31:40 AM »
Bow of Bones.  Pretty sweet screens.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Monday, February 26, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 04:26:09 AM »
MultiTES4: Multiplayer Oblivion

Is it possible?! It's still in Alpha stages but it's pretty damn impressive that somebody is managing it!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, March 15, 2007, 05:49:03 PM »
Except that even if it existed I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Oblivion - MODS -> Update - Nehrim TC released w/ English subtitles (9-13-2010)
« Reply #39 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (Total Conversion for Oblivion)
Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (Total Conversion) -> Released with English subtitled translation.

-> Over 50 hours gameplay
-> Over 60 quests
-> New Game-World
-> New Soundtrack
-> Professionally voice-acted audio in German
-> Supports English subtitles

No, I have not tried it...but it sounds kinda interesting. :)