Author Topic: Gothic 3 - Update: G3 joins GOG at $10  (Read 17524 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Reviews & Info -- UPDATE: Next Patch due in 2-3 wee
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 08:18:58 PM »
Where'd you see the UK version for $4????  :o

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Reviews & Info -- UPDATE: Next Patch due in 2-3 wee
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, January 21, 2007, 06:44:52 AM »
On eBay. Unfortunately it went up to $20 haha.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, January 21, 2007, 10:07:06 AM »
Wo0t! Double post! :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 06:35:05 PM »
Has Pirahna Bytes patched this thing recently???

Been a while since they released a patch.

And they were banking out patches left and right for this thing....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #44 on: Monday, February 12, 2007, 04:00:08 AM »
I think the latest patch was v1.12.. It was released on 21 December. I haven't seen anything since.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Monday, February 12, 2007, 02:40:13 PM »
I think the latest patch was v1.12.. It was released on 21 December. I haven't seen anything since.

I wonder if the rumored upcoming G3 expansion will be a patch itself, basically...???

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 02:43:59 PM »
From RPGWatch, a bunch of notes on what's up w/ Gothic 3's future -- from patches, to possible expansions, to an SDK.

Gothic 3 - News Collection
by Gorath, 20:20:45

Due to time contraints we´ve had to skip a couple of Gothic 3 news over the last weeks. This post brings you up-to-date on the latest developments.

*  Piranha Bytes released a Fansite-Kit last week. It includes graphics, buttons, fonts and more useful gizmos to create your own Gothic 3 site. Important: you must place a  clearly  visible copyright notice on your site. These things are usually placed at the very bottom of the main page. Details in the kit.
    * The next patch has been officially confirmed - ETA unclear.
    * An editor will be released. Don´t expect it anytime soon though. More like "late autumn" or so. Rumors it would be bundled with the next patch have proven false.
    * It goes without saying that  Piranha Bytes is not working on the inevitable add-on until the co-publishers Deep Silver and JoWooD confirm they´re working on the inevitable add-on. So for now they´re busy developing their next project in the Gothic universe, seemingly based on the same technology.
      The when and what are pure speculation. An add-on this Christmas or a stand-alone add-on next Christmas sounds possible.
    * On a related note, Gothic 2 Gold will be on the cover disk of the next PC Action . So if you have access to this German print mag it´s good opportunity to get G2 and Die Nacht des Raben for cheap.
    * An Autumn texture pack for Gothic 3 can be found on WoG. It replaces tree, grass and surface textures.

More to come in a few hours.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: News on Future Patches, SDK, and expansion.
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 05:34:31 PM »
This is an English translation of the latest interview w/ Pirahna Bytes and Gothicz.net

Björn Pankratz, project director of Piranha Bytes, accepted to take an interview with the people from gothicz.net

The interview is originaly in czech but thanks to dark-cz-klaw we also have a translated in our forums ;-)

Quote:

Gothicz.net: Hello Bjorn. May you please introduce yourself? How is your job at PB and how does your daily job look like?

Bjorn Pankratz: My name is Bjorn Pankratz and at PB I'm the main project director and game designer. Some of my projects are Gothic, Gothic 2, the addon, and Gothic 3. My small workplace in Essen is a little complex. Some of my jobs are managing, composing dialogues and quests, guaranteeing quality, gamedesign, and others. Most of my time I spend by my work desk, just like most of the other boys who have this job.

GCZ: What is your favorite game, music, movie/film, woman/women, beer pub and food?
BP: My favorite game was System Shock 2 in Coop mode. I'm a fan of EBM and industrial music, I like dark music. I love to watch fantasy and sci-fi movies, so one of my favorites is Lord of the Rings. Women? Well. YES, I love women...most of them. Weekends I often walk for conversations in my city here in Germany. I love eating a loaf of bread with cheese buttered on it. That is my elixir.
Ooooh...System Shock 2. That's good stuff.
I need to play that one some more, speaking of which...

GCZ: How long did the production of Gothic 3 take and what is your favorite feature in that game?
BP: We worked on that game for 3 years of 19. In my opinion, the best feature is the enormous free world filled with real-like beasts and people.
Sweet.

GCZ: Gothic 3 got a lot of rewards for best game of the year, best game design and best soundtrack. On our fansite, the game got 84%. Satisfied?
BP: Yes, I am very satisfied. We didn't really expect such support for Gothic 3, after the release of Goldmaster. We apologize, we had to release the game by the deadline. I hope, that with the newest patch, the game runs on your systems better.
I'm sure everyone hopes it'll run EVEN better w/ the next patch planned to come whenever it comes, too. :P

GCZ: How would you end the never-ending arguments on Gothic 3 v.s. Oblivion?
BP: Oblivion is a great game. End of conversation.
Can't argue that one.

GCZ: Did you plan on Gothic being a triology from the beginning of the series?
BP: No, not at all. But after Gothic 1 and at the beginning of the second game, the term "triology" was just a thought, as things went on. Nevertheless, we still aren't stopping.
Gothic 3 expansion maybe???
Gothic 4 maybe....?
Gothic MMO???

GCZ: Where'd you leave your hair? You look like a bandit... :)
BP: My hair is gone, just like my childhood. But I still have a lust for playing games.

GCZ: Many people work for Piranha Bytes. Who is the biggest lazy guy on the team?
BP: At the moment, there are 16 of us and a dog named Sammy. The laziest one is of course him.
LOL.

GCZ: Everyone wants to know, what is going to be after Gothic 3. And I don't have "next patch" in mind...
BP: That isn't really clear yet. Of course it\'s going to be something about the world of Gothic, that is clear.
Hmmmmmmmmm....

GCZ: I heard, that you work on other RPG fantasy projects...
BP: Really? I didn't.
Heh.

GCZ: Do you want to say something to the fans?
BP: Yes, thank you all for the great support, especially through rough times, which in the past has never happened. Next time we'll be better. Thank you.

Bjorn Pankratz
(Project Director, Game-Design)
Okay....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: News on Future Patches, SDK, and expansion.
« Reply #48 on: Friday, March 09, 2007, 02:41:50 PM »
Gothic 3 sells over 500,000 copies worldwide -- despite its bugs, lack or recent patches, and all...

JoWooD & Deep Silver announced the latest sales numbers for Piranha Bytes´ RPG Gothic 3. Here´s the PR minus the company drivel and the general game info all of our readers know:

Liezen, Austria / Planegg, Germany; 9th of March: Gothic 3 hits the roof! More than 500.000 copies of the famous RPG were sold [the German PR implies they´re talking about sell-through, not sell-in; ed.], placing Gothic 3 among the most successful german [sic!] RPGs ever.

„Gothic 3 turns into a very successful long seller, just as the precursors did. Every week we`re curious about the incoming charts, showing sales of both Collector`s and standard edition at a stable and high level“, comments Johannes Natterer, Senior Marketing Manager JoWooD Productions. „Our high expectations are still outnumbered and Gothic 3 is finally on its way to become a known and beloved brand even outside the German speaking territories“.

„We are proud to be part of such a world wide and remarkable success together with our Partner JoWooD Productions“, states Martin Metzler, PR Manager Koch Media. „And all that is achieved with a production made in Germany, proofing that German studios can take on the international competition.“

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: Gothic 3 sold over 500K Worldwide, somehow.
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 08:08:50 PM »
Not bad, now if we can get it in-game! Still it's pretty handy.

Oh, it's not in-game?!?!!?

I thought it was....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: Gothic 3 sold over 500K Worldwide, somehow.
« Reply #52 on: Monday, March 19, 2007, 05:28:05 AM »
Oh, it's not in-game?!?!!?

I thought it was....

Hehe no, it's just like the interactive Map of Cyrodiil for Oblivion. It's just a map application you cna use to spot objects, characters, landmarks, etc. It is useful, just not very practical.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: Gothic 3 next patch will be HUGE
« Reply #53 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »
Gothic 3 Patch Info.

Patch will be HUGE in size; possibly approximately ONE GB or more.

Gothic 3 - Patch News
by Gorath, 18:16

Piranha Bytes´ music wizard Kai Rosenkranz posted a few infos about the next patch in the official forum, followed by a further clarification.

Of course the posts are in German. Here´s a short summary and a few points based on other sources mixed in:

* Is the patch confirmed? Yes.
    * ETA: Unknown. PB / JoWooD will only announce it when they are sure to ship on time.
    * KaiRo said they´re running into considerable problems in various areas while developing the patch.
    * Is it free of charge? Yes. Additional distribution methods are under consideration, for example including it on the next project´s DVD, but the usual free download options will definitely be made available.
    * Will the patch make it necessary to start over? No definite infos about this, but PB is evaluating it.
    * Size: Unconfirmed, although it seems safe to expect the dimension to be GB rather than MB.
    * Reason: "Changes to story / logic / world data / 3D data lead to a size explosion [of the patch]" (transl.)
    * The technical problems are solved (status -> patch 1.12). Therefor PB prefers to work on a well thought out solution instead of rushing the patch out the door.
    * Months ago PB has made clear they are well aware they can only ship a patch of this size once.

If you add up 2+2 it´s not unlikely PB could be pulling a Bethesda and ship the patch a few days before the "next project" everybody thinks he knows what it is hits the shelves.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: Gothic 3's Next Patch to maybe be ONE GB or
« Reply #54 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 04:27:38 PM »
D, it never ceases to amaze me what you consider news.  I've never even heard of Gothic, and here you are commenting on the filesize of a patch for this game.  I mean yeah, it's a gig.  That's a big patch.  But its for some game named Gothic 3.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: Gothic 3's Next Patch to maybe be ONE GB or
« Reply #55 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 05:50:45 PM »
Gothic's not an unheard-of game.  The first one generated quite a lot of buzz with the RPG crowd. Unfortunately, when both sequels turned out just as buggy, heads stopped turning.  I have the first 2.

I think the problem isn't that D occasionally reports news that's lame (we've all done that), it's that he sometimes reports news about games that only he or possibly one other person actually care about.  Gothic 3 qualifies.  A patch that size would be interesting news if this were indeed a game anyone other than D and X cared about.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 06:35:07 PM »
D, it never ceases to amaze me what you consider news.  I've never even heard of Gothic, and here you are commenting on the filesize of a patch for this game.  I mean yeah, it's a gig.  That's a big patch. 
Well, there's a lot to this post. I thought it could make a hell of a discussion out of this -- popular game or not, b/c I think there is A LOT to discuss; especially w/ some of it including the state of PC gaming. I will throw a lot of my 2 cents on this one.

Yes, it'll be around probably ONE GIG. ONE GIG. That is an insane size for a PATCH for a game. It'll take a while for most people to download -- cable connection or not. I don't think I've EVER seen a patch that size. Someone please name another game w/ a patch that big. That is one reason why I think it's worth mentioning -- it's pretty much unheard of, right now.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how Piranha is going to distribute this -- especially for 56k modem users, since there has to be a good handful still living in the world today. I will also bet Piranha will place the patch on their upcoming "next project," which is rumored to be an expansion for Gothic 3, since Kai of Piranha says it is possible. I also wouldn't be surprised if Gothic 3 is re-released on disc, w/ the patch included on the game disc.

I am glad Piranha's commitment is still to this very game, which many feel is still quite broken and quite buggy. It should be, as it is considered a very extremely messy game, by many. Many also love this game, despite the bugs. So, yeah -- that is saying a lot, if people love it and still try to play it, despite issues. Many are waiting for the issues to be fixed. It deserves to be placed in a much better state and condition -- wouldn't you say? Shit, I would...especially if I purchased the damn thing.

Hell, Piranha could've packed it in and did no more patches. They could've scrapped it all and just began work on Gothic 4, instead of patching this thing. Hell, they could've just decided to patch here and there, like most companies do. No, they're going crazy and gonna try to kill most issues -- good luck to them. Hell, they could've just worked on the expansion and force the expansion to be the Gothic 3 patch (so that you'd have to go buy the expansion) -- but no, Gothic 3: Original Campaign will get patched, as well. As it should be. There are just too many PC games where even after the games done being officially patched, it still might need some work put behind it to resolve some issues still -- just look at modders/fans, who dedicate themselves to unofficially patching games, like w/ say Bloodlines. Even after Troika wound up closed, shouldn't some workers at Activision be patching some of the issues that still remained left unresolved in Vampire: Bloodlines. Look at Anachronox, which got unofficially patched -- Que was the one telling me before that this game REALLY needed it.

Also, this kind of news of such a big patch coming should be a wake up call to both developers and publishers -- DON'T AGREE TO PUSH GAMES TOO FAST OUT THE DOOR. This way, we won't have this issues arise in the future. Haven't we seen enuff PC games -- especially last year, even triple-A titles like say Splinter Cell: Double Agent PC, GRAW PC, R6: Vegas, NWN 2 -- get pushed out the door too early???? That doesn't include many of the not-so-triple-A titles that were released in crappy states, either. This doesn't help sales, that just hurts sales. And it hurts PC gaming itself, in general, too -- it makes PC gaming look bad. How Gothic 3 STILL sold 500,000 copies across the world is amazing, despite its reputation as being one of the most notorious and buggiest games ever made since Daggerfall -- so, yes, Gothic is a well-known game, across the world (probably more so in Europe when in comparison w/ the USA) to sell some 500,000 copies globally.

But its for some game named Gothic 3.
And yet, this news could've rang true and possibly been for some beloved series of yours where the game turned out technically a mess....I doubt you'd want to hear a game you love is getting a ONE GIG PATCH on one hand (b/c that is a huge patch and will take forever to download!), yet you'll glad on another hand (about time they fixed your game!).

Oh, BTW, Gothic 3 is a non-linear action-RPG by German company Pirahna Bytes. As far as I'm concerned, Gothic 1 is their masterpiece and is one of the most underrated non-linear action RPG's.

You like non-linear action-RPG's???? I'd suggest you go find Gothic 1, myself -- it's probably dirt cheap, these days; oh, and it's all patched up, too. And so is Gothic 2 (on the cheap factor, in which it often includes the expansion, if you find Gothic 2: Gold Edition), in which the game is unfortunately is not as great as the original. G2's a good one, especially once it was all patched up and all.

Quote from: Que
Gothic's not an unheard-of game.  The first one generated quite a lot of buzz with the RPG crowd. Unfortunately, when both sequels turned out just as buggy, heads stopped turning.  I have the first 2.
G3 didn't sell 500,000 copies for no reason....
That is amazing, despite its reputation for BUGS GALORE. There has to be something about that game, to still sell 500K and people talk about how great the game is, despite its technical set-backs.

I think the problem isn't that D occasionally reports news that's lame (we've all done that), it's that he sometimes reports news about games that only he or possibly one other person actually care about.  Gothic 3 qualifies.  A patch that size would be interesting news if this were indeed a game anyone other than D and X cared about.
I'm sure if I made a post that some amazingly popular American-made game that was extremely loved but had major technical issues suddenly will get news to happen to get a ONE GIG PATCH, maybe gamers would respond. Yeah, maybe if it was something like a GTA, WoW, Battlefield game, C&C game, or something....yeah, maybe people would actually care then....

But, you know what???? It'll happen. With the way publishers and developers are, these days and age -- kicking games out the door too early and supporting games w/ patches for often too short of a game's actual life, it's bound to occur. It's bound to happen to a triple-A title, that it'll get a ridiculous patch-size. Just give it some time....it's getting to be plain sad....and I see this trend continuing, especially after seeing a handful of last year's fiascos...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #57 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 10:47:20 PM »
This thread was only updated, it isn't even a new thread.

Gothic 3 is actually the best selling game in most of Europe including its country of origin, Germany. It is a insanely popular game. I am surprised that you haven't heard of it Scottws.

I ordered the European version of the game BTW.

Why is that a problem? I understand your point of only three people being interested in a game if our boards had a hundred people, but even if three people are interested in a thread, that's three out of seven that actually visit and post regularly. It is a pretty big percentage. I'll be honest, I've been considering taking a break from the forums for a while now purely because no one else seems to want to post. These past few weeks have been particularly slow with hardly anyone making an effort to keep things going.

I have to admit, threads like this: http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=1747.0 ....are pretty useless, but I don't see the harm in updating an ongoing thread or three people discussing neverwinter nights 2 to the length of seven pages.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #58 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 10:52:37 PM »
I never said there was a problem.  I just meant sometimes that's why people are like "Why has this been posted?"  I have no issue with anything, was just pointing that out.

And you shouldn't be surprised.  Scott hates nothing more than he hates non-linear RPGs, from what I gather.  And while Gothic is huge in Europe, it doesn't exactly have a gigantic following in the US.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: Gothic 3's Next Patch to maybe be ONE GB or so.
« Reply #59 on: Friday, March 30, 2007, 11:47:53 PM »
No I know there isn't a problem. I just wish we had our website going and new people coming. I also wish I knew something about web designing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, March 31, 2007, 01:11:22 AM »
I dunno', place seems busy enough to me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, March 31, 2007, 05:46:06 AM »
I have to admit, threads like this: http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=1747.0 ....are pretty useless, but I don't see the harm in updating an ongoing thread or three people discussing neverwinter nights 2 to the length of seven pages.
It won't be so useless, once I update that thread w/ whatever the hell Recoil eventually decided to reveal as their next game. :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: Gothic 3's Next Patch to maybe be ONE GB or so.
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, March 31, 2007, 06:22:06 AM »
haha D.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, April 01, 2007, 11:54:40 AM »
Hehe I'm with you MyD! I got yo' back man!

The huge patch size will be a bit of a cencern for me now that my connection is averaging 51 Kb/s.. Yes it is now slower than a 56k dial-up connection. Frickin' cheap-ass DSL in this new city, and I don't have any options because of the location of the villa I moved into. Crap! I can just barely check my e-mail and this board.

It takes me two days to download a single 174MB episode of anything. This sucks!

Anyway, this patch upcoming is great news! I really admire the way these guys are supporting their game! Other devs/publishers can certainly learn from them!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, April 01, 2007, 01:22:08 PM »
Hehe I'm with you MyD! I got yo' back man!
Thanks, man! :)

The huge patch size will be a bit of a cencern for me now that my connection is averaging 51 Kb/s.. Yes it is now slower than a 56k dial-up connection. Frickin' cheap-ass DSL in this new city, and I don't have any options because of the location of the villa I moved into. Crap! I can just barely check my e-mail and this board.

It takes me two days to download a single 174MB episode of anything. This sucks!
Oh, man....that does suck. :(

From what Kai of Piranha said, it looks like the PATCH will likely -- b/c it's so damn huge -- come also shipped on Piranha's "Next Project," which is good news for those wanting to pick that up. Many do believe that is the (yet to be announced) Gothic 3 Expansion. There were rumors flippin' before Gothic 3 dropped that they were already working on an expansion pack!! It's as if PB knew the game was goin' to be buggy as sin and was forced by the publishers to drop the game, heh! So, yuh -- you might want to pick up whatever their "next project" is, especially if you can get it damn cheap (like $20 or less or so)!

Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-release Gothic 3 on DVD w/ the patch equipped on the disc. I wouldn't be surprised if they released say a G3: Gold Edition w/ G3 + Expansion, as well. Hell, they re-released G2 w/ a Gold Edition, since it finally came w/ the NOTR Expansion. I do wish they sold NOTR separately, since I already own G2.

Anyway, this patch upcoming is great news! I really admire the way these guys are supporting their game! Other devs/publishers can certainly learn from them!
Amen to that, X.

Obsidian is another one. They really do seem to support their products, well after they release their buggy game -- just look at what they are doing w/ NWN2, adding features and new stuff in patches and listen to what the fans want; such as when they added the new extra toolbars that fans requested. Y'know, it's annoying that these companies are known for making buggy games, but at least they support their games well after their release; unlike some OTHER companies. Though, Blizzard are the Gods of that -- amazingly, SC was still gettin' patched at the end of last year!!! I wouldn't be surprised if they patch it for Vista, knowing them; hehe.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, April 01, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
Isn't 51 pretty decent? With dial up you get about 4.5 right?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, April 01, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
Isn't 51 pretty decent? With dial up you get about 4.5 right?
Not for DSL; and X has DSL! DSL should be around 140 kbps or more, at least.

Yuh, 56k dial up was around 4.5 kbps, for me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, April 01, 2007, 09:36:04 PM »
I'm saying 51 Kilo bits per sec, not kilobytes! So it averages out to around 3-6 KB/s.. On any given day my download speed is around 3 KB/s.. I wouldn't complain if it was 50 at all! Hell I'd be content with 30! Today it seems stuck around 1.2 KB/s.. It took about 3 minutes just to see this post.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, April 01, 2007, 10:23:19 PM »
What the hell! That must be frustrating. Get dialup! Connect your PC to your phone line and get dial up till you find a decent DSL.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #69 on: Monday, April 02, 2007, 09:27:52 PM »
I'd do that, except there's no phone line in my room at all. All the rooms have CAT slots (Ethernet) instead of phone jacks. Luckily I have a cell phone, but connecting to the net through would be more expensive than making a call.

I'll figure something out eventually.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, April 03, 2007, 12:12:49 AM »
hehe surfing the net on a cell is far more tedious.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 04:43:02 AM »
Please, let this be just a rumor...

Rumor has it that the Gothic 3 approximate ONE GB patch might not make the light of day.

Gothic 3 - Rumor: Gothic 3 Uber-Patch cancelled
by Garrett, 09:59:16

5 months after a rushed out xmas-patch the promised big patch to fix all problems in Gothic 3 is still not available and the only news about it was from late march 2007 when Kai Rosenkranz claimed it is confirmed. Now there new rumors on the World of Gothic (in German) & JoWood boards that a new patch (or Mod Kit) will never see the light of day. Also, a report on PC Games (in German, BTW) draws the same conclusion from recent posts of PB Art Director Ralf Marczinczik. Let's wait for an official statement from JoWood or PB...

The German links, you can always Babelfish them, if you want to get an idea of what is being said, unless you can speak German.

EDIT -- May 20, 2007, around 7:10 Eastern Time:
Addendum by Gorath:
The latest official statement, made by JoWooD community manager Johann Ertl in the JoWooD forum on May 11th, is (transl.):

[...] What I know 100% [sure], I gladly pass on - and this is at the moment: "The patch will come", but I´ve already said that often enough.

The PC Games´ newsbit is spreading like a wildfire on German gaming sites. Hopefully it will put enough pressure on the publisher and developer side to clarify the situation.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 04:10:48 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: Gothic 3's Next ONE GB Patch cancelled mayb
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 10:26:54 PM »
Even though I'm not playing G3 anymore I hope the patch does make it. The game deserves to be fixed. There's a lot in there, and the bugs it has are the major obstacle, so I think it needs a chance.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Gothic 3 Stuff Thread -- Update: Gothic 3's Next ONE GB Patch cancelled mayb
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 02:56:02 PM »
Holy shit, guys...
Let the war b/t PB and Jowood begin...

News #1:
PB and Jowood split ways. They can't agree on anything right now, in regards to the upcoming Gothic 3 patch.

Piranha Bytes and JoWooD to go separate ways

Essen, May 22 - 2007 After the final termination of negotiations over a continuation of the Gothic series, Piranha Bytes are forced to move in other directions. Which titles are to be published under the Gothic brand in the nearer future is totally unclear at this point in time.

The negotiations which were held since November 2006 did not lead to an acceptable result for any of the parties involved.

Piranha Bytes can not meet the demands of the community by releasing a major patch with content-related changes. The original idea was to develop this patch as a side-project along with an add-on or a further title (and to provide the patch as a free download as well as to include it with the boxes of said products)

News #2:
PB releases a press release saying that they will not support Gothic 3 anymore. So, don't expect any Gothic 3 patches from PB.

SIDE NOTE: If there will be actually anymore G3 patches, it'll probably come from Jowood -- given what their press release says they are unhappy w/ PB not meeting the Gothic community's demands for a new patch for Gothic 3.

News #3:
Jowood owns the rights to Gothic IP-brand, BTW....
...So, Gothic 4 was just announced!
Right now, JoWood is looking for a developer for the next Gothic 4, which has just been announced for both the PC and consoles.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Gothic 3 Thread -- Update: PB/Jowood split; PB done w/ G3 Patches; G4 announced.
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 03:11:06 PM »
This is all too crazy for words. What the hell?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Gothic 3 Thread -- Update: PB/Jowood split; PB done w/ G3 Patches; G4 announ
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 03:37:58 PM »
This is from Gothic 3's boards.
This is from an employee of Jowood's PR.
This is from before the announcement of PB and Jowood splitting ways.
This pretty much confirms that JoWood does likely plan on patching Gothic 3, with PB or without PB....

About the next patch
Dear Fans, Gamers, Readers,

Of course we heard of the rumors and specs saying that JoWooD cancelled any patch-support for Gothic 3. We want to clarify unmistakably that from JoWooD's point of view these are only rumors and we neither thought about "Cancelling patch-support" nor "Abandonment of any future plans about upcoming patch(es)" nor will we accept such ideas without any consequences.

We ask you to understand that while two companies are into negotiations both of them can't and are not allowed to talk about the progress, but this should of course not concern the patch.

It's even quite the contrary ! We're doing our best to deliver high-quality patches in future again which are for free of course !

Your JoWooD-Team

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Gothic 3 Thread -- Update: PB/Jowood split; PB done w/ G3 Patches; G4 announ
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 11:00:44 PM »
Wing dang doodle!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 02:41:12 PM »
Wing dang doodle!

Yeah, this is all madness.

I understand that this is PB's baby and all -- but of course, Jowood owns the rights to Gothic and all. So, it sucks that PB won't have *their* franchise anymore. PB's made every Gothic quite buggy out the box -- and Gothic 3 seems to be the biggest criminal of all their Gothic games. And now, well, seems like they're paying for it -- as they have been in talks w/ Jowood since Nov. 2006 on what to do w/ the patching Gothic 3 situation. There's even been rumors flying around that PB wanted a good sum of money from Jowood, to do this "uber-patch" and all since it'll be such an overhaul of the game and its actual code -- take that rumor for a grain of salt, for what that's worth and all.

I hope Jowood don't destroy this franchise, on one hand -- and try to "streamline it" a la Deus Ex: IW. On another hand, I hope Jowood selects a developer that won't make such a freakin' bug-riddled game. The Gothic games really don't deserve to be buggy as hell out the box -- nor does any other game, for that matter.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 02:53:05 PM »
This thread has an article from PCGames Online, in which they speak w/ someone from JoWood on this ordeal.

The original interview's in German, so someone was kind enuff to translate it to the best of their ability into English.

JoWood Productions
This is what JoWood has to say about the Divorce with Piranha Bytes

23.05.2007 - On May 22 publisher JoWood and developer Pluto 13 / Piranha Bytes went their separate ways. What lead to this? Background and future plans come from an interview with Stefan Berger, head of production management with JoWood.

PC Games:
From where this separation of ways? What was decisive factor? What will be the consequences of this divorce?

Berger:
Since many months there were negotiations about a Gothic 3 Addon and Gothic 4. In the end no compromise could be made about the budget for the Gothic 3 Addon, on the other hand for Gothic 4 a compromise could not be found on general jurisdictional reasons. The separation has only one consequence, that Pluto 13 will not be working on the production or development of any of the existing Gothic titles anymore.
Interesting.

PC Games:
How will Gothic 3 continue now? Will there still be patches?

Berger:
We do our best and work on high speed on it, so we can deliver as fast as possible a patch to the fans. We ask for understanding though, that it might take a little longer due to these circumstances, we're working to find the best possible replacement for Pluto 13, and not want to let you down with the patches in the case that we would pick up the wrong development team. At the moment we're trying to find out if Pluto 13 is required to deliver any patches according to law. In any case we don't want to keep the fans waiting.
Hmmmmmm...That's interesting.

I figured that if JoWood owns the IP rights, they can patch it.

PC Games:
How are things now for the Gothic 3 Addon?

Berger:
Right when the development team is complete will the realisation of a Gothic 3 Addon be evaluated. In any case it should be known that JoWood is interested in the making of an Addon.
Wow.

So, we knew Gothic 3 was likely having an add-on from Pluto 13.....but, is it possible now someone else might finish it, since JoWood owns the rights to Gothic IP??!?!? Or will the add-on be something new entirely???

PC Games:
Who has the rights to the Gothic series; or how are they divided?

Berger:
The overall rights for the existing Gothic series, with the exception of Gothic 1, are lawfully with JoWood..
Wait, so who owns the original Gothic 1?
PB???

PC Games:
Do you believe, that Gothic 4 without the help of Piranha Bytes will be successful?

Berger:
Gothic is Gothic and Gothic is successful. The success of a game is not solely in the development. However it will be, Gothic will also without Pluto 13 or JoWood achieve success. In the machine Gothic there is only one thing that cannot be exchanged or replaced by something equal or better and that is Gothic itself.
Okay.

PC Games:
Why do you plan a Console version? Until now Gothic was released solely for the PC.

Berger:
Discussions for a console version have been going on for quite some time already and why should one not make a beloved and wellknown brand available for the console players?
(Sebastian Thöing, translated by Timo Kuip)
I remember when there were plans of Gothic 2 coming to that Phantom....hehe....

It does make sense to bring to to the consoles, of course -- but I hope that in the process of trying to do so, they don't streamline the game like say a DX: IW turned out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 01:44:20 PM »
And the waters get muddier b/t JoWood and Pluto 13, as it is actually uncertain now who owns what....

So, it looks like, Jowood owns some of the Gothic IP stuff, while Pluto 13 owns some other Gothic IP stuff.

This looks almost as crazy as where Sierra owns the FEAR brand franchise name, but Monolith owns all the "content" of the FEAR IP (characters, storyline, objects, etc etc.)

As expected the drama continues and situation gets more and more obscure. Dozens of German websites post about Gothic´s uncertain future and Piranha Bytes remains almost silent, watching the situation while JoWooD pushes forward.

Who owns the Gothic brand?
This important question cannot be answered conclusively yet. The "arguments" were exchanged in the following chronological order:

* Piranha Bytes / Pluto 13 talks about "our brand Gothic" in the text accompanying their divorce announcement.
    * JoWooD creates facts by announcing Gothic 4.
    * Michael Rüve, Piranha Bytes´ / Pluto 13´s managing director, clarifies in the World of Gothic forum: "We have not sold the rights to the Gothic brand. Especially not in the last few months to make some quick cash [...].
      JoWooD indeed has certain rights in the Gothic brand which among other things might allow them to develop a Gothic 4."
    * Today Stefan Berger, JoWooD´s head of product manager, says in an interview with PC Games: "All rights to the existing Gothic series, with the exception of Gothic 1, are contractually in possession of JoWooD."

The problem is that the meaning of the term "Gothic brand" isn´t defined in any of the sources. Are they talking about the name, the world or the characters? What about the source code, tools and engine? Is there a legal difference between a Gothic 3 add-on, Gothic 4, interpreted as the sequel to Gothic 3, and later Gothic games?
Of course we could make a check list and find out that the seemingly contradicting statements aren´t really mutually exclusive - but can it really be so simple?

Other links

* In 4Players.de´s sharp-tongued opinion piece Good Night, Gothic the author calls JoWooD´s Gothic 4 announcement "reality satire" and then settles his accounts with both Piranha Bytes and JoWooD.
    * Extrem-Players.de recapitulates the events and takes a look into the future in When Two Quarrel, the Third Suffers . They think both parties will run into problems.
    * Print mag PC Games.de has a special with 5 articles, including the interview mentioned above and histories for both companies.
    * DemoNews.de published a reserved but very informative column titled Gothic: A Nameless Hero´s Inglorious Exit.

More information.