Author Topic: Brutal Legend to be published by...ugh...EA  (Read 18711 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Brutal Legend to be published by...ugh...EA
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »
I've heard that as the game builds up your skills and adds stuff, you end up leading an army of headbangers and it almost becomes like a very action oriented RTS, and that's how the multiplayer is. The whole RTS part sort of turns me off since I don't like them so much, but what I've seen of the game looks amazing, so I'm willing to give it a shot. (The demo is still only out for those who preordered, so I've been watching it repeatedly on Youtube. I can't get enough of it.)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »
It's supposed to be closer to Sacrifice than anything else.  Apparently the game was really built around the MP and stuff, which I wasn't aware of.  That's where the ideas started, though, and they went from there.  So it gradually builds up in the SP portion of the game.  But Sacrifice isn't an RTS in the strictest sense.  I'm really not a big RTS guy and yet Sacrifice is easily one of my top 5 games of all time (and it's aged really well - GOG sells it, and I highly recommend it to everyone).

I think this'll be a little something different, but will probably appeal to a wide audience in terms of gameplay.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, September 23, 2009, 01:31:42 AM »
I bought Sacrifice off GOG, installed it, but never played it rofl. I had it on CD at some point in the past too, and never installed it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, September 23, 2009, 05:32:50 AM »
Maybe old news, but Gamestop preorders get an game Tenacious D guitar.

According to GameStop, the axe was made "in close collaboration with Jack Black and Kyle Gass of Tenacious D" and features not just a customized appearance (with a sweet "Tenacious D" fretboard and image of the band on the body), but "new sound effects, new voice over work from Jack Black and Kyle Gass, a new visual effects suite, and new geeky technical stuff like unique textures, materials and shaders."

I've listened to some Tenacious D and liked some of it. I've liked some of Jack Black's movies. I'm also a sucker for bonus stuff, especially when it's in game. It sounds like some effort was put into adding this little bonus. But if this ends up being a permanent replacement for the in game guitar, and you hear obvious Tenacious D song clips when you use it to attack (possibly accompanied by Jack Black singing), that might just be a little too much Jack Black for me. I'll accept and probably even enjoy Jack Black being in the game, but I don't want "Jack Black: The Game." The idea of bonus content is tempting, but I'd hate to get stuck with more Jack Black than I'd want out of the game.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »
Demo is available for those who didn't preorder. (on Xbox Live, I'm assuming it's on PSN now too)

Testament on the title screen. I think I'm in love.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009, 08:54:51 PM »
Hahaha. I just got done playing the demo for the second time. It's really not what I expected, I guess. I haven't really looked into it that much, but now, I totally want it. It rocks!

It's really really funny, and the game play is actually a lot of fun. Already love the characters. Gonna buy it!
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 04, 2009, 07:28:48 AM by ScaryTooth »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, October 04, 2009, 07:06:53 AM »
I'm going to have to play that demo.  I'm at Sandy's now, but she's headed to Nashville later this week, and I'll have some time to dedicate to the Xbox.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, October 04, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
The demo was great, though it felt somehow muted in terms of ambience, it had a lot of uncomfortable silences (no music etc.). I'm really looking forward to it though!

It's not groundbreaking in technical graphics, but the art and style make the whole game.

I love how the option to enable/disable explicit language shows up right in the middle of Eddie's sentence ;D "You stupid mother-- Do you wish to enable etc.-- *FA%^&^!"

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, October 04, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »
hahaha

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #89 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 06:05:54 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #90 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 07:33:09 AM »
Played the demo a few days ago.  I've been catching up on X360 free DLC goodies.  It looks amazing, and it's a technical tour de force.  So very smooth and polished.  I don't think the demo is representative of the game, though, given what I've seen here and elsewhere.  The demo makes it seems like a straight brawler.  I need that review and others, more for info than critique.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #91 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »
I'm headed out now to preorder it (rofl). Hopefully it's not too late to get the Gamestop preorder bonus. I'll probably save it for later and experience the game without it at first.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #92 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »
I seem to be feeling like total shit at an opportune time.  I'm probably not going in to work tomorrow, so I may stay home and pick this up instead.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #93 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 11:29:57 PM »
Im off tomorrow, hooray! So I should be able to put plenty of time into it tomorrow.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 12:03:07 AM »
Aw, you're going 360 then?  I guess we won't have epic metal fights.  I'll probably suck too much for that to matter anyway, heh.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 02:25:19 AM »
I went 360. I fully expect to be atrocious at the multi though, with it's RTS elements. Hopefully it's light enough for me to not suck. It's the combination of resource gathering, unit management, tech trees, and upgrades that kills me. It's always a race to see who can build an army fastest, and I'm always too slow at it.

I can't make it into town until wednesday afternoon, so I have to wait. :(

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 07:07:55 AM »
Gentlemen.  It is ROCKTOBER 13TH BABY!

Now, to go purchase the best game ever smelted.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 07:13:23 AM »
I'm staying home sick today and it's storming here like effing crazy.  Which is good because we desperately need rain, but I hope the power doesn't go out again.  We lost it this morning for a few, and it was lucky I woke up to reset the alarm otherwise I'd have been out of luck for calling in on time.

I still feel like shit, but I don't think I'm actually sick.  I think I'm just exhausted and overworked from last week.  Either way, today seems a good day to stay the hell home.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 08:48:05 AM »
I can't help but smile at the irony of EA rescuing BL after it was dropped by what became Activision Blizzard during a merger.  Then AB turns around and sues to block publishing when they realized their blunder.  Double Fine et al then countersue, with one of the allegations being than AB was trying to protect its Guitar Hero franchise, and had dropped the game because it couldn't be turned into a GH sequel.  LOL!  I like this quote:

An EA spokesman likened the situation to "a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better-looking guy."
  LA Times

Personally, I think this GH/Rock Band cash cow is at least as big an evil now as EA.  Why spend resources on making real games when there's such an easy revenue stream from endless song additions and incremental sequels?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
I am in complete agreement.

EDIT - I have the game.  Will weigh in with initial impressions shortly.  As the most die-hard metalhead here, most of those impression will probably consist of, "DUDE DID YOU SEE THAT HUGE PILE OF SKULLS?! THAT WAS FUCKING EPIC!"
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 11:08:46 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 02:01:42 PM »
some initial reviews are pretty lackluster.  I've got to admit that I'm seriously considering taking my unopened copy back to Gamestop and exchanging it for Uncharted 2

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »
I don't see anything below 79 on Metacritic.  I'm guessing it'll mostly hover in the mid-80s, which seems about right for what it offers.  So far I'm having a good time, and while not any one thing is ridiculously deep or mind-blowing, it combines all elements into a whole that doesn't feel shallow or boring.  The multiplayer looks fantastic, too.  I haven't played any, but have watched a bit.  Definitely reminds me heavily of Sacrifice, which is more than a good thing.

For me, the whole package would be worth it just for the crazy heavy metal world alone.  The stuff they've put in the world just looks perfect.  If this ever comes out on PC, I'll end up getting it and taking five billion high-res screenshots, and if they ever come out with some sort of art book or whatever, I'll be all over it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »
I'm about 90% convinced to exchange it right now after reading joystiq and arstechnica's reviews.  Apparently the game starts out amazing and then really sinks after the first few hours.  And apparently the RTS elements are poorly implemented and frustrating.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 02:16:04 PM »
And apparently Uncharted 2 is video game Jesus

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »
I just got back with my copy, and I'm installing to my Xbox HD right now. I can't wait to play.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 02:38:21 PM »
Well, I haven't gotten too far in, so I can't say a whole lot.  I'll say this: from reading those two reviews, I don't know what those guys were expecting.  They were obviously expecting more than was ever promised, because from what I can tell, this is exactly what it was supposed to be and nothing more.

Anyway, initial impressions are as follows:

It isn't as funny as Psychonauts, but I don't think it's trying to be.  Funny is only part of it.  But again, early on here, so I can't comment on that as a whole.  There were some good laughs thus far either way.  It looks good, and while there are a few technical issues, it's hardly anything to waste time whining about, IMO.  The art is utterly fantastic, and a hitch or two here or there are no big deal.  I've seen plenty of other high-profile games perform even worse and get little abuse about it from the press.  But again, that's only so far.

Ultimately, the single player feels like it's going to be teaching you how to play the multiplayer.  They gradually give you new stuff to think about, you get new units, and then supposedly the latter half of the game focuses more heavily on the full-battle RTS part of the game.  From what I've seen of the mulitplayer, this seems tight and fun, and something you can get good at as you play.  The different unit types are fun and have interesting mechanics, and being able to "use" every unit to do an extra-powerful move or to manually control them is neat.

The base game is what it is.  Expecting it to go very far from that is a mistake.  The above is what the game wants to be, and it manages to do some other stuff that's a little bit different and then pepper it all throughout the awesome game world.  That's what this game is, and if you're expecting anything else, you'll come away disappointed, I think.  But I don't know why you'd be expecting anything else.  They've been pretty clear about the premise and method right from the beginning.  You drive your car around, do missions to advance the story, explore to unlock shit, and then you can do some side stuff if you feel like it to upgrade your car and guitar.  And you do it while screwing around with stuff, riding crazy animals that have spikes sticking out of them everywhere, and listening to High Speed Dirt really loud.

I think the complaints of those two reviews are valid for some but are probably subjective.  The real complaint, ultimately, sounds like the length of the campaign.  Apparently you can finish it quite fast if you put your mind to it, and while collectors and explorers will have fun trying to do everything, the main game just isn't all that substantial from a content standpoint.  But again, this was a multiplayer-focused project from the start in a lot of ways, and they never really billed it as super long.  I can't remember specific quotes or anything, but I was always under the impression it wasn't going to be a long ride.  I figure I'll get at least 10 hours out of it myself, potentially more depending on how obsessive I get with finding stuff (I tend to enjoy that sort of thing).

Anyway... *shrug*.  Uncharted 2 actually doesn't interest me in the least because I've played that game before in other various forms about a million times, and while the raw gameplay of Brutal Legend may not be the most original or the most compelling ever (again, it's too early for me to truly say one way or the other), the actual package is something totally unique.  That means more to me than it does to some.

EDIT - I'd also like to take a minute to point out that those reviews felt a bit on the skimpy side and didn't even mention a lot of stuff, or glossed over the multiplayer almost completely.  The combat is certainly better than "swing axe up close, use guitar at range" unless you're an idiot.  There are a fair number of options available at any given time, and in MP you've also got two different factions to choose that are dissimilar to the regular good guy faction.  The reviewing there feels a bit cheap, like they weren't that into it from the start and just sort of oozed their way to the end to write the review.  Dunno'.

Also, it's sad to see how dependent people are on reviews.  The comments at ArsTechnica were like, "Oh, it isn't as good as I hoped?  Well, I guess I better not bother to play it, then," which is fucking retarded if you're only going on some general comments.  If you read a bunch and just get the impression it isn't for you, that's another matter, but... eh, I don't know, I just hate what reviewing has become, I guess.  Other reviews have been much more positive, so why are the words of one person so important?  I mean, they could all be wrong too... it's personal opinion.  I fucking loved Dawn of Mana even though seemingly every reviewer on the planet panned it (and personally, I think most of the complaints were complete bullshit) - you just never know with this stuff.  I suppose the crux is the fact that games cost so much now nobody ever wants to take a risk.  But I'm usually far more satisfied with games people liked less rather than with the ones everybody loves.  Half-life 2?  Passable at best.  The Darkness?  One of the best games in 10 years.

EDIT x2 - I'd also like to point out that KISS released a new 3-disc Walmart exclusive album, and it's apparently extremely popular.  KISS is one of the worst motherfucking bands in the history of mankind, with Walmart closely behind as one of the worst store chains to ever bulldoze a small town so we could buy cheaper toiler paper.  Other people's opinions = horseshit.

EDIT x3 - Some good gameplay footage here, with Shafer and some dudes chatting.  Second half is a half-hour of multiplayer.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 03:13:11 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 03:20:09 PM »
As a quick note, I'd like to say that it sounds like I'm trying really hard to defend the game, but I'm really not.  Lately the state of games journalism and the people who read it are just pissing me off.  It was gratifying to see a number of reviews for Demon's Souls that said, "You know, this game just totally isn't for me because it's too fucking hard, but the game itself is amazing," but real perspective is awfully hard to come by these days.

EDIT - Just played an hour of multiplayer.  Totally, totally fun.  Takes some getting used to, but experience with Sacrifice will give you an edge.  I sort of sucked and was just playing against an easy AI, but I really like the way this works.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 04:34:10 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
I caved and exchanged for Uncharted.  I figure i'll probably like Brutal Legend just fine, but I'll be more apt to find it down the road cheaper than I would Uncharted 2, considering it's a console exclusive (and the fact the first game was 60 bucks until it went greatest hits).

I feel as somehow I've let Tim Schafer down.

I'm sorry Tim.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »
You have.  Also, you've totally proven that you're completely not metal.  So you have fun playing with Mr. Shirt Technology, while I rip devil-bears apart with an axe like a real man.

Do give impressions on Uncharted 2, though.  I don't have much interest due to theme, but I'm curious to get a first-hand account of why it's so great.  Nothing I've seen thus far looks all that amazing.  Not bad or anything, just sort of... yeah, it's a game with guns and shit.  So I want to know the real deal.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
Everything I've read suggests it's about as close to a popcorn action flick as you're going to get with a video game.  Apparently some rather solid multiplayer as well

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 05:27:26 PM »
What's utterly hilarious about the whole thing is that a week ago BL was going to be the only game I bought this holiday.  Then I end up NOT getting it and buying uncharted and Demons Souls

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Well, you're at least a little metal for getting Demon's Souls because that game is epic as hell.  But this guy is still calling you out.

EDIT - So I kind of really love this game.  I get that it isn't perfect and whatever, but... I fucking love this game.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 11:27:24 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »
8.5 from GameSpot
Video review.
Written review.

4 1/2 stars from GameSpy
Written review.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 04:32:33 PM »
EDIT - So I kind of really love this game.  I get that it isn't perfect and whatever, but... I fucking love this game.

Yea me too, I guess I can see some problems with the RTS stuff but I'm actually having fun with it, I haven't read reviews that hit on that aspect too much, I think it's biggest fault is with controls. RTS is not really meant for a controller so I can imagine how hard it must have been to figure out how to make it work. Sure it's a little hectic at first but I think it's still manageable.

Other than that there's the exploration and the story stuff which has all just been fantastic. I played all day yesterday and had a complete blast. Also listening to Dragonforce as a temple collapses all around you making your escape is as epic as it gets.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
I think if Uncharted had not come out yesterday there would be no doubt that I would have kept the game and enjoyed it.  But when I've got the choice between a good game with problems and a game that is being near universally heralded as one of the best gaming experiences ever, I'm going to take the best ever every time.

It's probably a game that would have greatly benefited from releasing in July or August.  The next few months are going to be so crowded with good to great releases that middle of the road to good just doesn't cut it.

Of course this is all conjecture on my part, as I have only played the demo of Brutal Legend.  I could end up loving the game.  I think people just expected the game to be much more than it was, considering it was headed up by Schafer and Double Fine.  And I mean who wouldn't expect a great amount considering what he's delivered in the past?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 05:32:29 PM »
The game has some weak spots, but I think the subject matter carries it a lot. I love just cruising around in the Deuce listening to the soundtrack, looking for relics and stuff. I'm almost afraid to progress the story too much because I've heard it's a short game and I don't want it to be over already. Though you can still wander and do side quests/unlocks after the story is over so I guess there's no reason not to push further into it.

I just had my first stage battle. My only real complaint is the inability to fly yet (which I've seen in multiplayer videos). I felt somewhat blinded by my ground level viewpoint.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 06:49:59 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to do it in the MP game I played, so it must be something you either have to unlock in SP or I just couldn't figure out the controls for.  I think the RTS stuff is pretty manageable, but a bit tough when you can't see so good.  Being able to fly will fix that right up, and allow you to quickly run back to base to get guys and order them around, etc.

While I think a lot of times concept isn't as worthy as gameplay, in this case I think the concept is so fantastic it adds something just by itself.  I wouldn't call the game average.  It isn't perfect, but it's still pretty damned good.  Biggest complaint for me will likely be the fact that there wasn't more raw content to play through.  Either way, I've just never had an experience that felt like this one.  Uncharted 2 could be the most tightly-wrought game in the history of mankind, but I've still kind of played that game a thousand times in one form or another.  Even if Legend isn't technically as awesome or as perfectly-crafted, it's still unlike anything I've ever played when you combine all the elements that make it what it is, and that makes it the real must-play for me.  But I more or less felt like that even before I'd picked it up, so that was a driving force for me all along, really.  And it isn't like it's a bad thing if somebody wants to play Uncharted 2 instead.  Everybody has their own priorities.  Like I said earlier, concept carries a hell of a lot more weight with me than it does with many.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »
I just played a quick stage battle against easy AI. Clicking the right stick (on the Xbox version at least) pulls you up into the air. Air controls are simple and easy: No elevation changes, look with right stick, move with left.

I as a little confused becasue I don't know about all the upgrade requirements and what the different units do.

I was just finding out about this achievement:

Six Degrees of Schafer
Play with or against another player who has this achievement.

So Tim just tweeted about an hour ago that his username on both XBL and PSN is TimOfLegend, and not to add him unless you're playing BL. He's probably swarmed with people right now rofl.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 07:45:23 PM »
haha, that's nuts, why would he do that?  I've never been tempted to add a "celebrity" to my friends list before, but I just might have to do it now.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 08:00:19 PM »
Well, once he plants his seed the achievement will spread and lots of people will have it. At this point if I did it, and IF I got a game with him, it would basically be "hey man, I love your game, come kick my ass so I can get an achievement."