Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever: May 3rd!  (Read 17515 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Duke Nukem Forever: May 3rd!
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »
See I don't see the perception of the whole bandwagon hate on Duke. From what I have seen, which is the GB quicklook, the game looks bad. And even over the late years of this whole game's epic development, most gamers now have grown passed the Duke Nukem's humor. Critics are going to judge the game next to what first person shooters are today, which perhaps is the wrong assessment to have on this, or maybe not, I dont know. I don't think DNF should get a pass for being "old school". The reviews really don't surprise me, but I can't really scoff at the press at the same time.

My opinion? I think gearbox has at least had some sort of low expectation for the game's scores and I sort of think they don't really care so much. I believe they went for it because they can be the ones to say, "Hey, we fucking did it, we put DNF out." It even works from a business perspective, anybody whos been gaming as long as we have knows who Duke Nukem is and has at least had some idea about DNF, who gives a crap if its shit, we just want to play it.

What's important is that Duke Nukem Forever is finally out... seriously, its fucking OUT. You know what to expect, its not the second coming of christ, but its out. I do want to play it, its not worth $60 to me, but at some point, I will play DNF and I think there's a whole lot more out there who think the same.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #121 on: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
IMO the "throwback" argument goes out the window anyway when people that are our age are giving the game bad scores.  If it was a true throwback they'd find something good to say about it.

No sense in sugar-coating it.  If the game is shit, it's shit.  I don't really see a bandwagon trend here.  It's people calling a spade a spade

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
Well, but the fact is neither you, I, or Pyro can say that because we haven't played it. Not saying that isn't an entirely plausible possibility, but I don't think you guys put much more stock into the current epoch of the gaming press than I do, really, and both the press and the gaming public at large are hugely bandwagon-driven. I hear what you're saying about the throwback thing, but I'm not sure I can believe that so readily either. Many consumers and critics who might call themselves "old-school" have grown to expect certain things in big-budget titles just like everyone else, and if they don't get them, a game may automatically be labeled a failure. I think all of us can think of at least a few games we really liked that either the press, the public, or both considered to be total wastes of money.

Again, I'm not so much trying to defend the game as I'm trying to say I'm less quick to accept the collective judgment when most people want to see a game fail. There's been bad blood with this one from years and years back, even from some here on OWnet.

Really, I agree entirely with Pyro's post. The game was a total clusterfuck of development and surely anyone that expected it to be the pinnacle of anything was off their rocker. The fact that it's over and done is a good thing, whether the game rocks or sucks balls. But I still understand PR guy's reaction to the venom a bit. I imagine that's a hard thing to take. A lot of reviewing boils down to bullying, and this is no different from the news media or any other such outlet. People want blood and emotion. People want effusive praise or a nearly Biblical act of fiery condemnation. A review that says, "This game is okay, but nothing great," doesn't ignite any feeling, doesn't net you any new readers, doesn't "count" as a stance in sensationalistic journalism. And let's face it, that's nearly all the mainstays of gaming journalism are anymore.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 01:41:40 PM »
I'll just say the DNF Demo left a sour taste in my mouth w/ the gameplay. The demo just didn't feel bad-ass like say DN3D or DN: Manhattan Project - those games just FEEL like Duke is a bad-ass, always rushing into battle, taking on constant assortment of enemies, and having a nice inventory of guns. Other than the humor and the level of interactivity w/ objects - everything else in DNF Demo just felt WAY off to me. It felt w/ DNF Demo where Duke did NOT have many enemies on-screen and was always scrounging for cover, and carrying a max of TWO guns. I hope the DNF Demo is like Dragon Age 2 - where the demo was just rushed and shitty, but the full version was really worth the time, once you got down and spent some time w/ it.

I'll definitely get DNF, when it price-drops - 'cause I'm still interested in it, despite everything.

But, I'm sure part of the reason the game is getting crapped on is b/c people are thinking, "I just paid $60 for something that is not-so-amazing....and took 14-plus years."
At $60, that's a hard pill to swallow. At $20-30 or less - eh, might not be so bad.

EDIT:
Regardless, all the DNF madness - it got me to reinstall DN3D on Win 7 and I bought DN: Manhattan Project cheap from GOG. We all know DN3D rocks and DN: Manhattan is just a blast of a side-scroller. You know, I don't understand why someone doesn't do a XBLA or Steam modern-day 3D side-scroller like DN: Manhattan - I'd eat that up.

EDIT 2:
Destructoid -> Jim Sterling - "The Duke Delusion: Why Duke Nukem isn't a parody."
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 03:31:16 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #124 on: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 04:46:25 PM »
Interesting article, and pretty well written, but I'm not sure I'm buying his arguments wholesale. Duke is antiquated if he's anything, and I don't mean so much an age or maturity thing for *people* so much as I do for what games themselves have become. Duke 3D was built in the same vein as Monolith's Blood. Super violent, ridiculous, a bit dark, and lots and lots of references and one-liners. That was acceptable then. Blood and Duke 3D were well-loved. I think what may have happened here is that so much effort was put into trying to do the same thing with DNF, it just came off as creepy and disturbing... and that sounds totally logical to me. Duke 3D could very easily have been both of those things, but pixel art and the feel of the Build engine helped to keep it from going too far. Maybe trying to up the ante and make DNF a triple-A title went the same way some comic movies never translate well to the big screen with real actors. The less real, the better.

I'm so curious to play this game now. I honestly want it to be as bad and as creepy as Sterling makes it out to be. I feel like his review just has to be hyperbole... but honestly, at this point I'd be more disappointed if I didn't see the clusterfuck he describes. I'd rather play the monstrosity. I've played hundreds upon hundreds of amazing games in my life. I've spent very little time with bad ones, especially ones that were bad for all the reasons he went into in his review and that little editorial there.

I guess in the end maybe I want Duke to fail just as much as anyone.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »
Interesting article, and pretty well written, but I'm not sure I'm buying his arguments wholesale. Duke is antiquated if he's anything, and I don't mean so much an age or maturity thing for *people* so much as I do for what games themselves have become. Duke 3D was built in the same vein as Monolith's Blood. Super violent, ridiculous, a bit dark, and lots and lots of references and one-liners. That was acceptable then. Blood and Duke 3D were well-loved. I think what may have happened here is that so much effort was put into trying to do the same thing with DNF, it just came off as creepy and disturbing... and that sounds totally logical to me. Duke 3D could very easily have been both of those things, but pixel art and the feel of the Build engine helped to keep it from going too far. Maybe trying to up the ante and make DNF a triple-A title went the same way some comic movies never translate well to the big screen with real actors. The less real, the better.
Hmmm...great point about pixel art and Build Engine.
Do you think a cel-shaded look like Borderlands had might've actually helped DNF out...?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »
Destructoid -> Jim Sterling - "The Duke Delusion: Why Duke Nukem isn't a parody."

Misogyny (mɪˈsɒdʒɪni) is the hatred or dislike of women.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny

I see "misogynistic" used often to describe characters like Duke.  The definition surprised me.  (It is consistent across several sources.)  Duke doesn't hate women in the slightest.  He simply ignores the ones who are not hot babes willing to fulfill his desires.  :)

Seriously, any article that uses a form of the word "misogyny" gets my guard up.  Rabid feminism and I have always been far apart.  Duke is clearly a chauvinist who only wants women for his own pleasures.  This offends some enough to crucify him and his games gladly, given the slightest opportunity.  Personally, I get the most amusement from Duke from the very fact that he exists at all in mass media, during this time of repressive political correctness.  The character is over the top, and couldn't possibly be real.  Parody or not, he's fantasy, just like his women.  Why is he so threatening?  In case it isn't obvious by now, I don't agree at all with this article.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #128 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 11:18:56 AM »
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel about it too. Not because I think he's cool or interesting, or even because I don't understand why someone might be totally put off by stuff, but I don't see the need to be offended. Unless some of the stuff in DNF really is just too far over the line, which is what makes me want to play the game. I tried the demo but had a crash after fiddling with something... it didn't feel quite as nice as I'd have wanted, but it looked pretty good... it really does feel like they were trying to recreate Duke 3D just with more pretty. I don't know if that was a good idea or a terrible one. I guess from the response one would lean toward the latter. But I'm still damned curious.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #129 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
People are just too sensitive these days.  You hear about the people bitching about the "adopted fatty" thing from Portal 2?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #130 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel about it too. Not because I think he's cool or interesting, or even because I don't understand why someone might be totally put off by stuff, but I don't see the need to be offended. Unless some of the stuff in DNF really is just too far over the line, which is what makes me want to play the game. I tried the demo but had a crash after fiddling with something... it didn't feel quite as nice as I'd have wanted, but it looked pretty good... it really does feel like they were trying to recreate Duke 3D just with more pretty. I don't know if that was a good idea or a terrible one. I guess from the response one would lean toward the latter. But I'm still damned curious.

We, the fans of Duke Nukem 3D [and his other games], know why Duke is the way he is - everything about Duke is a "homage", "parody", and a "Take" [whatever you wanna call it] on over-the-top take on 80's and 90's action-hero movie characters and movies like that starring Stallone and Arnold. Since we're easily 10-15 years past DN3D, I think what the "modern" gaming world wants and needs is some back-story to Duke and his life - more than cheesy one-liners [especially ones taken from other product], to make him seem more human...namely to make those understand why he's such a chauvinist pig and treats people and things like he does.

Oh, and if they are gonna give Duke some back-story - they better make it bat-shit crazy and very screwed-up. :) Enough that it's both sad...but of course, it's also gotta be funny on some level, since Duke games are usually hilarious.

I really am curious what Gearbox is going to do w/ Duke Nukem brand, since they basically own it. I still wonder what this Duke Begins that Gearbox was working is about and where they are going to take it.

I think some of the "goofing" off and high-interactivity w/ stuff in the game-world that Duke always did might actually lend itself better to say a open-world game experience (Far Cry 2, STALKER series, etc) than say a corridor shooter (like DNF and Call of Duty).

EDIT:
TheJoyPads -> DNF Review - 8 (out of 10).
Destructoid -> Jon St. John slams critics.

« Last Edit: Friday, June 17, 2011, 03:54:50 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 06:49:37 AM »
Kotaku - Randy Pitchford on DNF.

Hail To The Burger king
The Man Who Brought Duke Nukem Forever Back To Life Likens It To A Greasy Hamburger
- Michael McWhertor

Who cares if Duke Nukem Forever is "good" or not? It is at least as satisfying as a greasy burger, as catchy as a Ke$ha song or maybe as enjoyable as a performance of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark in which no one suffers a debilitating injury. (Or does. Which would make that superhero musical better?)

Randy Pitchford, co-founder of Gearbox Software and instrumental in seeing that Duke Nukem Forever finally shipped on a disc after more than a decade, took to Twitter this week to, well, if not defend his company's new game, then put it in the above context.

(For the record, I've not played Duke Nukem Forever, so I can't comment on its quality, but I'll trust my colleagues who label the game a "full-priced mess" and "not in a good way" offensive. I just wanted to pass on Mr. Pitchford's take.)

"With sales data, It seems like *customers* love Duke," Pitchford tweeted post DNF release. "I guess sometimes we want greasy hamburgers instead of caviar..." That's likely Randy's response to Duke Nukem Forever's critical drubbing from reviewers.

Today, he continued the comparison between Duke Nukem and less selective tastes, writing "looking at DNF for narrative depth: 'It's like Rolling Stone magazine trying to find a deep meaningful message in a Ke$ha song.'"

And on launch day, Pitchford remarked: "So... Spiderman on Broadway finally opened the same day that Duke Nukem Forever shipped. COINCIDENCE?!?" In that they were both reviewed poorly and repeatedly delayed, yes, it is a little eerie.

What's the takeaway? If you're not sick of talking about or defending the long-in-the-making Duke Nukem Forever and you're a fan of grease, pop pap and/or U2 musicals, you may have a kindred gaming soul mate in Randy Pitchford. Me? I'm just excited Gearbox is freed up to get that Borderlands sequel done.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #132 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
Thats exactly how I thought he would respond.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
Really, I don't see as there was any other way he could. He put out a product, he has to stand by that, but at the same time he has to acknowledge some of what's been said on one level or another.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
. . . I'm just excited Gearbox is freed up to get that Borderlands sequel done.

My favorite part of the story.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #135 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 01:22:10 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny

I see "misogynistic" used often to describe characters like Duke.  The definition surprised me.  (It is consistent across several sources.)  Duke doesn't hate women in the slightest.  He simply ignores the ones who are not hot babes willing to fulfill his desires.  :)

Seriously, any article that uses a form of the word "misogyny" gets my guard up.  Rabid feminism and I have always been far apart.  Duke is clearly a chauvinist who only wants women for his own pleasures.  This offends some enough to crucify him and his games gladly, given the slightest opportunity.  Personally, I get the most amusement from Duke from the very fact that he exists at all in mass media, during this time of repressive political correctness.  The character is over the top, and couldn't possibly be real.  Parody or not, he's fantasy, just like his women.  Why is he so threatening?  In case it isn't obvious by now, I don't agree at all with this article.

Yeah, I don't really get it either.  But what I do know is that the guy who wrote that article is a fat sack of useless.   This is probably the second or third thing I've come across him in the last month or so.  Every single one was pretty much garbage.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #136 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »
My favorite part of the story.

Oh, I'd love to see Borderlands 2.

Though, I'm also curious to see where they will take Duke Nukem IP w/ Duke Begins...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #137 on: Sunday, June 26, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »
New DNF MP content coming this Fall.
It'll be FREE to only those First Club Access members prior to DNF's released.

Duke Nukem Forever’s First Add-On Content Hail to the Icons Parody Pack, is headed to Xbox 360, PS3, and PC this Fall. The pack contains three new game modes, and four new multiplayer maps – each with new weapons– and, this pack will be FREE to all First Access Club members who registered their FAC membership prior to the launch of Duke Nukem Forever (subject to availability).

Want to know more? Here are some details about what the Parody Pack includes:

Three All-New Modes –

Freeze Tag provides some of the most fun team gameplay in Duke Nukem Forever.  Players cooperate to freeze and shatter their opponents in succession for huge point streaks and combos.  See who can hold on to the babe the longest in Hot Potato and play free-for-all Duke style in Hail to the King.
    Call of Duke – Duke engages in modern combat in a war-torn city. Foes don’t stand a chance against the Duke when he spams the map with the N00b T00b.
    Sandpit – Players take the role of mini-Duke in a giant sandbox with two bases at either end made out of children’s toys. This map features Sticky Grenades.
    Inferno – Time machine engage! Duke does combat in a hellish landscape of lava and teleporters. Who turned on the 16-bit graphics, and more importantly, where did this DFG come from?
    2Forts1Bridge – Hats? Duke doesn’t need no stinking hats. Give him a minigun and he’ll beat off all comers.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »
Put 4 hours or so into this in the last 2 days.

At times, it's great and feels like the best shooter ever [when there's actual shooting and it sticks w/ it].
At times, not-so-much - when it's not doing action; which can happen here and there.
Namely, the pacing is ALL over the place - which is the game's BIGGEST problem here.

It's obvious, this game TRIES to do A LOT - and often tries to be more than a shooter.

You can interact in some way w/ MOST objects in the game - often, they're for Ego boost [to your health bar].
Sometimes, Lord knows for what reason they did allow you to interact w/ objects - like it's just there to screw around with for the Hell of it or just to get an Achievement.
Duke can lift weights; drink from water fountains; put his hand in a toilet to pick up crap and toss it; go to the bathroom in a urinal; literally draw on a chalkboard; literally autograph a book for a kid; etc etc.
There's a pinball machine in a gym and you can go to town and actually take time and just go play this pinball game!
You'd think w/ the above nature of the high-level of interactivity w/ objects, the game should've been an open-world game like GTA or Bully.

Sometimes, there's puzzles even - i.e. driving a remote control car in a mini-labyrinth to push an object outside of the little gap in the bottom part of the wall.
Sometimes, succeeds majorly - i.e. a shrunk Duke driving a toy buggy-car trying to escape a bunch of aliens trying to stomp on them.
Other times, fails miserably - i.e. the above mission goes on for TWO missions in a row, which goes on TOO long.

The graphics and animations - yeah, this game feels like it's around 5 years old. While that's expected and all, the up-and-down nature of this game is crazy. What I'm trying to say is - this game is more on and off then a light switch.

When it's great, it's great.
When it's not - yeah, it's NOT.

Oh, and the story - eh, not much going on here, unfortunately. But, that's expected and all, since this is Duke Nukem and all...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »
I played for 30 minutes through the OnLive demo and thought it was pretty shitty.  I don't think the humor seems like some holdover from the 90's as a time gone by, I think it's just way too over the top with the stupid potty humor.  There is just no way to connect to the game, at least for me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
I think Jon St. Jon is hilarious w/ his one-liners and punchlines.
I wish the story had more to it, from what I've experienced. The boss-fights been pretty kick-ass, though - the BattleLord fight and Mothership fight rocked.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »
I thought it was just as ridiculous as the original Duke 3D. I had fun with it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #146 on: Thursday, September 22, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »
I thought it was just as ridiculous as the original Duke 3D. I had fun with it.

Beat the Alien Queen at the Duke Dome last night.
Yeah, that was a tough fight - but still, made it through it.

But, yeah - when the game's on, it's freakin' on.
Seems like the game has gotten better, as it's moved on a little bit.
Namely, once you leave the Lady Killer.