Author Topic: Eidos: Batman Is "As Close To Perfect As We've Ever Come"  (Read 577 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Eidos: Batman Is "As Close To Perfect As We've Ever Come"
« on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5205281/eidos-batman-is-as-close-to-perfect-as-weve-ever-come

That might seem like a huge exaggeration, until you realize that it is Eidos. The game might turn out to be a turd, and it could still be the best game published by the company -- ignoring Deus Ex.

All kidding aside, has anyone noticed how these video game related companies are getting wilder and wilder in their claims. No one is satisfied with, "This is going to be a fantastic title" anymore. Everything is now, "Our game will make you have more orgasms than Beo spending the night with hot black lesbians.", or "Our game will be what Citizen Kane was to movies..." or something.

Not recently, we heard stuff like Killzone 2 will sell more copies than MGS, and Call of Duty 6 will be the best selling game of all time etc.

When did such extreme bullshitting become so acceptable? Remember how we used to laugh at John Romero?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Eidos: Batman Is "As Close To Perfect As We've Ever Come"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 11:57:59 AM »
As long as I get to be a bat-ninja I'll be content. A part of me wishes VR was a reality.. Imagine donning the cowl of Batman and sneaking about uncovering clues and eliminating criminals in the night, then breaking Batman's no-kill code and just breaking necks as you see fit, using the grapling hook in unconventional ways (i.e. harpooning unsuspecting victims). THAT would be fun ;D

I hear you man, the bullshit threshold is rising. I think it has to do with the producers assessing games competitively against all other media, primarily movies. The game development budgets are beginning to get closer to blockbuster movie standards.

As history dictates, the cycle will repeat and this trend will fade then appear again later in the future.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 02:13:36 PM »
I just ignore all these ludicrous lines of over-exaggeration -- i.e. Modern Warfare 2 will be best selling game of all time, John Romero's gonna make you his bitch, Project Ego (which got renamed to Fable) will be the best RPG ever made, Batman is as close to perfect as Eidos' has ever come, Deus Ex 3 is gonna be more like Halo , Deus Ex 3 is gonna be more like the original Deus Ex, Kane & Lynch is gonna have sequels, Valve is gonna patch-out DRM check from Steam if Valve goes under, Duke Nukem Forever is going to be released before 2075, etc etc.

This all belongs in the "I'll believe this when I see it" category.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »
This is why I just don't pay attention anymore.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野