Author Topic: The Witcher 1 thread.  (Read 41117 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Witcher screenies.
« Reply #200 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 07:48:31 PM »
Yes, MyD, that's a known bug.

My experience performance-wise is a bit better than MyD's (and without the extreme lows) with every setting turned to high (except no AA, 1x AF).  Well, shadows are on medium but that's because the soft shadows don't work properly for me, not a performance thing.  The game generally runs just fine, and enemy counts don't really seem to have quite as much to do with it as architecture does.  Big open areas are just always slower.  Still, it's perfectly playable.  Only bad spots for me are when the fire effects are used in a couple of key game moments.  These slow my system to an absolute crawl, and that seems to happen to a lot of folks.  Kind of a shame.  No other effects do that, though, other than the depth of field effect they use in cutscenes and when you're talking to people, but I've documented that in this thread already.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #201 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 12:13:08 AM »

Nope, you're stuck w/ Geralt and the way he looks.

Really? Not even gear or armour?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #202 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 12:39:09 AM »
This isn't a OMGPHATLEWT game by any stretch of the imagination.  There's very little in the way of gear, though apparently there is some.  And yes, every change you make is reflected on the character (at least that I've seen so far).  But you're playing Geralt because... the main character is Geralt.  This isn't a build-your-own-Witcher type deal.  The only customization you're going to be enjoying is mechanical, in terms of what abilities you choose to increase (and even that doesn't change the way the game plays all that drastically, just which skills you'll likely favor).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #203 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 01:02:42 AM »
It's not that big a deal and I don't mind playing as a specific character. I was just concerned about how much you can really develop that character's mechanics and appearance. Honestly I'm just kinda knit-picking at that specific detail just to see how customizable it is.

With a game like this I would imagine the gameplay and story to be the most important parts. It doesn't hurt that it looks great either (at least according to the screenshots and videos).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #204 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 01:15:31 AM »
It's a beautiful game.  Hard to believe it shares an engine with NWN (which it practically doesn't... I think they said that at the end of it, they rewrote like 90% of the engine and really just had the core).  But yes, the story, characters, world, and major decision-making bits are the most important elements.  The other stuff is good, but don't expect too much customization.  You'll help Geralt make a lot of significant choices, but the color of his boxers won't be one of them.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #205 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 02:51:53 AM »
It's a beautiful game.  Hard to believe it shares an engine with NWN (which it practically doesn't... I think they said that at the end of it, they rewrote like 90% of the engine and really just had the core).  But yes, the story, characters, world, and major decision-making bits are the most important elements.  The other stuff is good, but don't expect too much customization.  You'll help Geralt make a lot of significant choices, but the color of his boxers won't be one of them.
Haha damn it that was the case in Fable! You always had those British boxers!

I'll make it known once I pick it up so I can share in the experience :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #206 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 04:43:26 AM »
Yup they changed the engine massively.

Also I don't want to know why you have to see his boxers.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 06:36:50 AM »
Boxer styles are a form of art!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #208 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 07:15:40 AM »
Heh, you don't.  I was only kidding.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #209 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 02:57:48 PM »

Oh, yes -- a lot of decisions you make, you'll see the importance of your decisions usually sometime later on; maybe one chapter or two chapters down the line. You won't see it sometimes as soon as you make the decision, but later on, you might.

Quote from: Que
This isn't a OMGPHATLEWT game by any stretch of the imagination.  There's very little in the way of gear, though apparently there is some.  And yes, every change you make is reflected on the character (at least that I've seen so far).  But you're playing Geralt because... the main character is Geralt.  This isn't a build-your-own-Witcher type deal.  The only customization you're going to be enjoying is mechanical, in terms of what abilities you choose to increase (and even that doesn't change the way the game plays all that drastically, just which skills you'll likely favor).

About tricking out your character, basically at level-up time when you meditate, you just decide if you want to learn a few new skills AND often it might be on how much more powerful you want to make a certain Witcher skill. There's around 200+ skills to learn.

You can upgrade your weapons and armor. Maybe even say buy a few new weapons and armor, but there's not a lot of new junk to get. There are a few quests, side and main, in which you can get new items or are given new item. Basically, you'll do more upgrading of your current weapons and armor, more so than anything -- if you can actually afford it. By doing lots of quests (such as side quests and Witcher contract quests), you should be able to do a fair amount of upgrading.

Plus, you can't basically carry many weapons w/ you, as is. Just a Steel Sword (for humans), Silver Sword (for monsters), and TWO extra weapons (a dagger, torch, axe, etc etc).

You can carry lots of potions, books, food, plants, and other smaller stuff, though.

You should spend a lot of time mixing potions -- especially w/ Recipes you might find, so you don't waste the plentiful amounts of raw materials. If you're having trouble w/ a battle, usually brewing some potions AND then using them potions in battle will be just enuff to get you a victory.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #210 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »
AHHHH DAMNIT!

Now I know why limited ed hasn't come in yet. I bought the game on eBay a while back and stuff and it still hadn't come in, so I sent the seller an e-mail. He told me he had run out of stock, and just sent me a refund.

WTF?

I could have bought the ltd ed from a few other ebay sellers at the time.

The auction said "In case we run out of stock, you will be refunded."

He was selling 10 pieces at the time. Why the hell would he list so many if he didn't have them? BLOODY HELL.

edit:

If I were crazy enough, I'd buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Witcher-PL-Collectors-Limited-Edition-PC-game-BOX_W0QQitemZ290185060243QQihZ019QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

edit 2:

Was browsing on the PCG forums. The 67% actually came from PCGUK, and not them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 06:52:43 PM »
I just finished the game -- yes, it was great, all and all!

Wow, that Epilogue chapter was just awesome, from start to finish.
Absolutely outstanding game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 10:01:42 PM »
http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28622&start=75

Can't verify this 100%, but PC Gamer US gave the game 90%

Wheeee.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #213 on: Thursday, November 29, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »
About PC Gamer US scoring The Witcher
http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28622&start=75

Can't verify this 100%, but PC Gamer US gave the game 90%

Wheeee.

Awesome -- It certainly deserves it.

Personally, I really can't wait to see what Que has to say about The Entire Epilogue Chapter (I thought it was awesome) and especially the finale.

EDIT #1:
GameShark Review
A- from GameShark

EDIT #2:
RPGWatch Review
RPGWatch's review for The Witcher -- 5 stars from them.
And they even go on to call it the "most significant game since Fallout".

EDIT #3:
RPG Codex Review
They said if they did scores, they'd probably give it a "8.5" for score -- they say it's a "great game."

« Last Edit: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 07:18:01 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #214 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 07:30:22 PM »
RPGCodex reports some info on when Witcher Patch 1.2 is due; when the Witcher demo is due; when the SDK (D'Jinni) is coming; and if there's an expansion and/or sequel planned.

The Witcher 1.2 patch and demo dates ( Development info )
posted by Elwro on Thu 29 November 2007, 01:20:43

More info on Witcher, The - More info on CD Projekt

A Polish site called The Witcher's Biggest Unofficial Site has spoken with folks from CD Projekt Red during the Poznań Game Arena show (no English webpage, so no link) about The Witcher. Summary:

* The 1.2 patch should be released somewhere around December the 7th
    * The demo should appear somewhere around December the 13th
    * The editor (called "Djinni") should be relased "somewhere around those dates"
    * The series will be continued, but it's not decided whether what comes next will be an expansion or a sequel.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #215 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 10:08:37 PM »
Damn it.  I was hoping to beat the thing before the patch since (rumor has it) it will invalidate old saves.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #216 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 10:21:32 PM »
Damn it.  I was hoping to beat the thing before the patch since (rumor has it) it will invalidate old saves.
How far you along...?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #217 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 10:24:46 PM »
Still just chapter 3.  I don't have time for games like I used to, and dividing time between this and Assassin's Creed means that I more or less make no real progress with either one, heh.  If I manage to win the Witcher screenshot contest (doubtful), I'll probably be all juiced and just dive headlong into it and finish it up, but I'm sort of waffling about it right now because I just have too many fucking games to play, all of which are amazing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #218 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 10:33:20 PM »
Que, you have to finish it, eventually!

We need to talk about the epilogue -- and especially the thought-provoking ending!!!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #219 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 10:36:57 PM »
Oh, I'm definitely finishing this one.  It's just taking longer than I expected.  But no worries, it'll get finished.  I haven't really been interested in characters like this for some time (in a game, at least).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #220 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 10:39:48 PM »
Oh, I'm definitely finishing this one.  It's just taking longer than I expected.
Do you think you'll finish the game AND then install the patch??
Or install the patch and start over???

I haven't really been interested in characters like this for some time (in a game, at least).
Oh, yeah -- I think most of the characters in the game are great; such as Geralt, Shani, Triss and of course Azar Javed.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #221 on: Saturday, December 01, 2007, 10:55:32 PM »
Shani is cool, but she and Triss would be infinitely better if the dialogue was intact and there had been some direction given to the actresses.  I really like Dandelion (I keep wondering about his name - I think it was Jaskier in the books/TV show) and Zoltan.  They both crack me up.  Thaler is extremely interesting, too, and one of the better actors.

EDIT - And no, I'm finishing the game first.  No way I'm starting all that over just for a patch (I haven't had any problems with the game, so it would make no sense).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, December 02, 2007, 07:01:22 AM »
Shani is cool, but she and Triss would be infinitely better if the dialogue was intact and there had been some direction given to the actresses.  I really like Dandelion (I keep wondering about his name - I think it was Jaskier in the books/TV show) and Zoltan.  They both crack me up.  Thaler is extremely interesting, too, and one of the better actors.
Never read the books -- out of curiosity, is The Last Wish any and of the others out in the USA yet?

EDIT - And no, I'm finishing the game first.  No way I'm starting all that over just for a patch (I haven't had any problems with the game, so it would make no sense).
Yeah, I would, too -- especially if you're already into Chapter 3.
Chapter 2 was like the longest chapter in the game BY FAR -- yeah, kind of like BG2.
Not like the other chapters are short, it's just they made Chap 2 HUGE compare to the others, heh.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #223 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #224 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 10:31:31 PM »
Heh, thanks.  I'm sad that I didn't win the main contest, but it's pretty awesome that they gave me some stuff anyway.  I don't care about the mouse pad, but the dice set is a nice keepsake.  I'm still out the medallion, but that's okay.  I'm just happy I got to have fun participating, and even better to be acknowledged for the effort.  The CDPR people are pretty cool from what I've seen on their boards.  Really laid back.

EDIT - See here for the other thread on the subject.  I'll just let it die since this one gets more action.  This 2nd comic was my "real" attempt after I realized the mistake I made with the first one.  I liked it well enough, but it probably didn't deserve to win.  Still, there you have it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #225 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 11:47:28 PM »
You deserved the "honor" Que. The comic was really good.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #226 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 11:48:52 PM »
Honestly I think Que's is still better than some of the ones that did win. Kudos to Quemaqua ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #227 on: Friday, December 07, 2007, 02:53:32 PM »
Que's original comic was awesome!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
GamePro
GamePro absolutely loved The Witcher.

Their ONLY complaint throughout the entire review -- load times.

PROS:

* Amazing, vibrant graphics featured in a realistic world.
    * Fascinating and flawed characters.
    * Your morally ambiguous choices and situations directly affect the storyline.
    * Battle system is dynamic, with tons of options.

CONS:

* Atrocious load times are the one glaring error in an otherwise amazing game.

SciFi
Matt Peckham (who used to once work for 1UP and slammed NWN2 w/ a 6.0) calls The Witcher "the best RPG of 2007.

Quote from: Peckham
That said, I'd probably play The Witcher with twice as many glitches. It's that unmissable.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 08:49:02 PM »
Michal of CD Projekt RED talks about CDPR, Witcher costing around $8 million US plus, sales in Europe, etc etc

Quote from: Michal
Thank you guys for supporting us!!! In fact, each box sold count for us and it's greatest support we can get from You!

Regarding money/budget stuff. Game so far cost us 8+ mln usd. And it wasn't a bank loan or whatever. Just money we earn
on games distribution (we are not so small company: offices in 3 countries, 200+ people, 40+ mln usd yearly turnover).
Actually, this was risky, but also good and very independent way:) Our money, our vision, our game:)
That is why we could make whatever we liked, and that's why the game is so different from the standard big corporation fare
(targeted to anybody between 10-99 years old and always 110% political correct etc).

BTW: it is not obvious if we earn money on the project. Actually I believe that sooner or later Witcher will bring us profit.
It seems that gamers (you!) like it:) and thanks to that the game as a product will have a long lifecycle. The most important for us is that
we've learnt how to make games, good games:) And now we have short but good track of records.
That gives us very very good position for future (for example for negotiations with publishers).

Good position means also greater ease of defending our vision of the future projects. That's important as we want to keep the same
direction, meaning making games out of passion not marketing analysis;)

..Speaking about marketing. I know that in some countries it wasn't as strong as it should be (US for example). We're in touch with Atari
and try our best to find a ways how we can improve it. But this will come with more experience and time. As it is here in Poland.

Here The Witcher since release is no1 on all charts and since last Sunday sold through 81k units!!! Which beats all the best selling records
on the market. It is more than twice as much as previous biggest seller (homm5). Similar situation is in Czech, Hungary and
Russia (Novyi Disk company was a publisher there but we were involved in the process pretty much).
We know how to market games. We just need to learn how to organize it on the western markets. But this will some day come...

Cheers,
M.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, December 09, 2007, 02:19:14 AM »
Unfortunately it's still not in stores here and that's a kick in the gooleys. Needless to say I will buy it as soon as it hits shelves here.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, December 09, 2007, 10:17:22 AM »
That stinks, X.
Anywhere you can order it online from?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #232 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 02:15:52 AM »
That stinks, X.
Anywhere you can order it online from?

Amazon might be an option, but I'll have to confirm it. I'm just getting anxious to play this already hehe Mind you waiting doesn't do any harm, in fact it has way more benefits! Patching etc.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #233 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 02:27:18 AM »
Amazon don't ship games anymore outside of the U.S. anymore. I am sure it will make its way to the middle east soon enough.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #234 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 06:41:27 AM »
Amazon don't ship games anymore outside of the U.S. anymore. I am sure it will make its way to the middle east soon enough.
Yep, I just confirmed it they Amazon US will only ship within the US and Amazon UK will only ship within the UK. Bashtards!

I hope you're right and it makes its way here. I just hope it's not banned or anything.

I guess this is where download services like Steam would come in handy. I still have trouble accepting some of Steam's policies though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #235 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 02:08:24 PM »
Yep, I just confirmed it they Amazon US will only ship within the US and Amazon UK will only ship within the UK. Bashtards!

I hope you're right and it makes its way here. I just hope it's not banned or anything.

I guess this is where download services like Steam would come in handy. I still have trouble accepting some of Steam's policies though.

Aren't there any other online sellers?  There has to be a way to get what you want (legitimately, I mean).  It's hard to believe that there isn't at this point.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #236 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 03:18:51 PM »
Hmmmm....Does Gogamer ship outside of the USA?
I'm not sure if they do.

Gogamer has The USA Version (Censored Version),
UK Import Regular Edition (Uncut)
and the UK Import Collector's Edition (Uncut, but that is currently OUT of STOCK).

EDIT:
Only OTHER thing I think you could do, is order it from Metaboli to buy-for-download, which is around E34.99 (I think that is like around $70 US).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #237 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 08:15:51 PM »
Unfortunately it doesn't.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 12:50:53 AM »
Aren't there any other online sellers?  There has to be a way to get what you want (legitimately, I mean).  It's hard to believe that there isn't at this point.
Yeah, it's pretty backwards over here when it comes to anything online. Even online gaming is bare-minimum. People here still play Counter-Strike too.

We actually have our own online markets and retailers here, but naturally they only offer the products they have here.

I guess the only other option is eBay, and that's assuming the seller would ship here.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 06:53:15 PM »
That sucks, X!

You NEED this game. Really, it's an amazing RPG.

Still waiting on that patch, SDK, and some new official Witcher Modules -- so I can go back to it!