Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles II  (Read 1325 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Valkyria Chronicles II
« on: Monday, September 06, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »
Once again, I know you guys aren't really big into the handheld games, but this game is a lot of fun. I can't really describe it without going to into a lot of detail ( I don't feel like it), but it's kinda like a cross between a mild Fallout and Advance Wars/strategy RPG. I really like it so far, but to get a good idea of what the game is actually like, check out this video review:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-valkyria-chronicles/703837

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Valkyria Chronicles II
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 06, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
Haha thanks for the update, Nick ;D

Have you played the first one on PS3? I'm glad the sequel is on PSP this time around. It just feels appropriate.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 06, 2010, 12:02:20 PM »
I definitely plan on picking this up since I enjoyed the demo.  I'm still a bit irrirated that this got released on PSP in the first place and you can definitely see the difference in the graphics and while not as pretty as the first one, I still want to play it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 06, 2010, 01:14:44 PM »
Ive always wanted to play both of these games.  Damn, I wish there was a PSP emulator out there.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 06, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Ive always wanted to play both of these games.  Damn, I wish there was a PSP emulator out there.
There is, I just haven't been able to get it to work properly, it's still in the relatively early stages. On a moderately relevant note, I did get a DS emulator to work but the lack of touch kinda made it pointless for most games.

Anyway, back to Valkyria. It does look pretty on the PS3 but it's not a game I play for graphics superiority, it's all about the gameplay and the visual style. That said, I can see viewing range becoming an issue on the PSP.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 06, 2010, 11:39:37 PM »
Oh?  Wouldn't the mouse be ideal for single-touch emulation?  Of course, a visible cursor would be necessary.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 07, 2010, 08:07:43 AM »
Oh?  Wouldn't the mouse be ideal for single-touch emulation?  Of course, a visible cursor would be necessary.
Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work but it just doesn't feel quite right. It could just be a matter of tweaking to get it right or me getting used to it, but using a DS in comparison is far better.

I can see a mouse making a good substitute for the Wiimote in cursor-based or shooter games.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 07, 2010, 12:54:16 PM »
I've put about eight hours into this game and I have to say it's the best PSP game I've played to date. I haven't played the prequel on the PS3, so I'm looking at this game through new eyes, but it does seem to be the type of game better suited for the PSP. I only have two gripes with the game so far: one is that all of the missions you get for the month (you get new missions each month, each month is sort of like a new chapter or level) are on the same maps. I've done a bunch of missions and a lot of them are on the same area, once you know where the enemies are going to be, the game isn't too hard. Which brings me to my second gripe.

The game is too easy so far, I've heard it gets harder later on, but right now I really haven't had any trouble beating anyone and I'm playing on normal (can only imagine what easy would be like). I've had a few soldiers die on me, but it wasn't because I was actually beaten or conquered by the opposition, it was because I tried to sneak past a tank and it didn't work out too well.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
Kinda good news. I hope they improve some of the visuals.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
God dammit Sega, why are you releasing the 3rd one on PSP too, considering the first one did well on PS3?  I'll probably still end up getting it, but fuck that is really annoying.  I don't know why they can't just release it on PS3 and then do a downscaled version on the PSP....guess it would just end up costing too much on the developing side and developing for the PSP is probably far cheaper for them which means more money in their pocket.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 17, 2010, 12:04:08 AM »
God dammit Sega, why are you releasing the 3rd one on PSP too, considering the first one did well on PS3?  I'll probably still end up getting it, but fuck that is really annoying.  I don't know why they can't just release it on PS3 and then do a downscaled version on the PSP....guess it would just end up costing too much on the developing side and developing for the PSP is probably far cheaper for them which means more money in their pocket.

SEGA has had a long history of letting artistic vision lead to horrible financial decisions.  WE should probably be happy that they're starting to come back from this.  I mean, I don't even own a PSP or PS3, but I think it's a good thing that this is getting a couple of sequels, even if it's on the lesser machine.   I imagine that there is good reason for it, especially considering that the engine from the first game exists and they have a huge stash of art assets (the reasons companies pump out sequels).  It may have been well received, but it may not have sold enough to really make them the amount they were looking for...or at least what could be made with another PSP game.