Author Topic: I just realized how retarded internet culture is  (Read 6958 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
I just realized how retarded internet culture is
« on: Friday, January 25, 2008, 07:43:20 PM »
This is what made me realize it:

Don't get me wrong, I've never been a fan of scientoligists.  This probably dates back to when I had to walk by their "church" two or three times a week on my way to the place where I had to do work experience in grade 11.  Probably a good 75% of the time I either had to deal with some idiot trying to convince me to look into stress/personality/some whacked shit testing or some other idiot telling me (or anyone else around) why the church is so evil I should think about burning down the building.  As I read and heard more and more about it I realized it's certainly some whacked shit and a pretty unethical organization, and I thought it was retarded. 

Fast forward ten or so years and everyone on the internet seems to think that taking down the church of Scientology is the single greatest thing that could happen in the history of man.  Sure, it takes advantage of people, and it's fucking stupid, but come on, why does everyone on the internet have to be so fucking melodramatic about trivial things?

Offline Antares

• Veteran
Re: I just realized how retarded internet culture is
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 25, 2008, 07:54:17 PM »
OMG they've got GPW!!!!!!!  They're brainwashing him!  Someone kills the scientologists now!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 25, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »
Dear God. I should have known when gpw started talking about thetans the other day that they had gotten to him. There's only one way to solve this...we have to kill gpw.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 25, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »
hahha...  anyone want to borrow my gun?

but GPW.... that's how bored people are.  and how purposeless.
Taken.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 25, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »
It's not that Internet culture is retarded; it's that Digg is a culture of retards, on the Internet.

Also, GPW please learn to use Imageshack. Either crop the image to make it smaller, or include a link to a full-size original.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 25, 2008, 10:49:17 PM »
I was following this story and laughing about it... Internet culture is basically the ultimate example of ADD. They will intensely focus on this for a week or three and then move on... My guess anyway.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 05:48:56 AM »
People will find anthing to occupy their time. If we were ina  post-apocalyptic world where al we had was food, water, sand and rocks people will probably bitch about how "rock lovers" keep disturbing the smoothness of the sand.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »
The drama thing is awesome sometimes though.  A few days ago Digg.com changed the algorithm that it uses to promote stories to the front page.  They do this often (much like google does) in order to keep people on their toes so people and companies can't really find a way to completely scam the system (the key word here being 'completely').  The thing is that with this particular change they decided to make digg.com more 'open' by ensuring the front page isn't controlled by a small group of users.  In order to accomplish this they decided to make it so that the less friends you have listed on the site, the less diggs you need to actually make it to the front page.  Knowing very little about how the system at digg actually works, this sounded like a great idea to me.  You want your site to grow and be accessable to new users and this is a way to do that.  Likewise, it's also a way to ensure that actually good stories have a chance to make it, rather then just stories of people who have 500+ friends on digg.com that just vote each other's stories up.

Anyways, the top 3 or 4 digg submitters lose it.  They know that the only reason their stories are constantly on the front page is because there are groups of people who just digg up their submissions.  They claim the site is selling out and whatever, threaten to boycott, and hold an emergency podcast/live forum thing that Kevin Rose and the Digg CEO actually attended to try to alleviate some concerns. 

Fair enough, people threaten to boycott shit they like all the time.  No one cares.  Where these guys fucked up is they posted a link to one of their shitty blogs with a link to the podcast and a headline something like "From Revolt to Revolution in 45 min: Digg.com and Make a Deal".  Obviously, this got bumped up to the front page right away because of the whole thing with these guys having a legion of people digging them up randomly and people saw it.  And that's when the backlash hit.

See, most people on digg don't even know or care who submitted the story their are reading or digging.  I go there at least once a day every day, and I never look at who submits a story, and I assume a lot of people are the same.  Then all of a sudden there are these three or four guys having a stroke and acting like they'll destroy the site if they leave.  So then people start looking into it a bit. Sure enough, these guys have a ton of friends digging all their stories and a ton of them are either duplicates or just pure blog spam.  Ever wonder where all those top ten lists come from on the front page?  One of those guys.  So now people are pissed because a.) these guys are whiny bitches b.) these guys come off like they think they're more important than all the average users put together because they 'provide' all the content b.) they don't want to give anyone else a chance and c.)people suspect they're gaming the system in order to provide a revenue stream.

So now there's people using Yahoo Tubes to filter out stories submitted by these guys and people saying they're working on firefox add-ons that will automatically bury all of these guys' submissions.  Now that is funny drama because these little princesses are probably sitting at home wondering how they went from the self-pronounced saviors of digg to public enemies.  I imagine it might be the worst day in their inter-life...ever.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 10:30:10 PM by gpw11 »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »
Okay, that's hands-down one of the best stories I've heard in months.  I hate to say I love it when stupid people suffer, but I'll be damned if I don't.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 11:22:36 PM »
Haha. The power of digg - it lies in the masses, not the few. I'd heard a briefer version of that story before, but that's good stuff in it's entirety.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 04:02:23 AM »
Now that is funny drama because these little princesses are probably sitting at home wondering how they went from the self-pronounced saviors of digg to public enemies.  I imagine it might be the worst day in their inter-life...ever.
Haha, that's hilarious.

Wait, no it isn't.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »
Aww, Wind must have been one of them.  Poor guy.  I'm going to call him Princess now.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 06:50:23 PM »
I've always been your Princess, Que.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »
You win, I'm creeped out now.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »
hahahah

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 03:09:37 AM »
I could give two shits about Digg.com, I never go there.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 04:20:06 AM »
You win, I'm creeped out now.
Hahaha Wind that's impressive! It's pretty difficult to really creep Que out! (At least that's impression I got :P)

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 12:21:57 AM »
Well apparently this movement has spilled over into RL protests.. Something I support whole heartedly. Peaceful protest and knowledge dissemination are legal and appropriate methods of spreading awareness about this dangerous cult.

I will be personally attending the Vancouver protest next sunday.

Call me retarded if you want... I'm just an activist who feels compelled to spread awareness about the damage scientology does to people's lives.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 01:33:39 AM »
If Scientology oozes its way to our side of the world you guys will hear about how Pug and I are fending it off :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 07:52:28 AM »
So, this is all about scientology?  I knew it was the topic of the organized stuff that became a target.  But I thought that the story was how the tables were turned on a group misusing the site, not scientology itself.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 11:21:37 AM »
So, this is all about scientology?  I knew it was the topic of the organized stuff that became a target.  But I thought that the story was how the tables were turned on a group misusing the site, not scientology itself.

The Digg  bombing was part of Anonymous' attack on the "Church"

Videos that can bring you up to speed, if you have some time:

Anonymous Declares War:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCbKv9yiLiQ

Phase 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-063clxiB8I

Scientology Responds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArHlW1b0vNM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b6rSkMcSNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjvnENdV-RA

Xenu-TV Responds to Anonymous:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW466xcM0Yk

Basically this whole thing started out as "Lulz" (ewww I can't believe I said it) from 4chan after the CoS got youtube to take down a Scientology video. It has since snowballed into a global protest against the actions and methods of the "Church"

It is not about the Scientologists themselves, it's about the scary cult tactics and strongarm techniques used to defend said tactics.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »
Well apparently this movement has spilled over into RL protests.. Something I support whole heartedly. Peaceful protest and knowledge dissemination are legal and appropriate methods of spreading awareness about this dangerous cult.

I will be personally attending the Vancouver protest next sunday.

Call me retarded if you want... I'm just an activist who feels compelled to spread awareness about the damage scientology does to people's lives.

I wholeheartedly applaud your RL efforts.  It's not anyones disdain for scientology that's retarded, it's the internet ADD and melodramatic bandwagon jumping.  If you actually want go out and spend your actual time protesting it, you're steps above the legions of internet clowns who think they're an integral part of a "revolution" or "movement" by sitting at their desk and posting "Scientology sux!!".

Personally, I don't care about Scientology either way anymore.  Oh, I know exactly what it is and can understand why people are against it, but I have a very hard time feeling sympathy for anyone who gets taken by it. It's pretty much symbolic of the lack of personal accountability in our culture these days.  Scientology didn't directly ruin any of it's follower's lives, it just put the method out there - they ruined it themselves.  If it wasn't for Scientology, they'd be losing all their money to Nigerian scams, multi-level marketing schemes, or crack cocaine.  If anything it shouldn't be about trying to destroy the organization, it should be about trying to convince them to sterilize their members and perhaps even make them get some sort of face tattoo so we can make sure we don't hire one or place them in a situation where they have to make their own decisions.

Quote from: Cobra951

Yes, you're correct, it's about how the tables were turned on the "elite" top posters at digg.com.  That in itself has very little to do with Scientology - it's just that the Scientology story has more endurance and is probably more news-worthy.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
Personally, I don't care about Scientology either way anymore.  Oh, I know exactly what it is and can understand why people are against it, but I have a very hard time feeling sympathy for anyone who gets taken by it. It's pretty much symbolic of the lack of personal accountability in our culture these days.  Scientology didn't directly ruin any of it's follower's lives, it just put the method out there - they ruined it themselves.  If it wasn't for Scientology, they'd be losing all their money to Nigerian scams, multi-level marketing schemes, or crack cocaine.  If anything it shouldn't be about trying to destroy the organization, it should be about trying to convince them to sterilize their members and perhaps even make them get some sort of face tattoo so we can make sure we don't hire one or place them in a situation where they have to make their own decisions.

Social Darwinism like this works just fine until someone you love or care about, or you yourself gets duped by a cult like this. Then, if we as a country decide to follow the "tough luck, sucker" philosophy, there would be no laws against fraud. That's what this is all about.

The "church" masquerades as more of a self-help organization, that gradually brainwashes people into emptying their pockets, cutting ties with their family and friends, and indebting themselves to the church through financial as well as personal means. Personal means being the "auditing" forces scientologists to reveal their darkest secrets that are held by the church as blackmail against people if they try to leave. It's a massive global scam fronting as a religion.

The thing is that it is extraordinarily easy for otherwise right-thinking individuals to be conned by these people when they are vulnerable and searching for SOMETHING to fill a void in their lives. They aren't fundamentally flawed people, this can happen to anyone really, given the circumstances.

For evidence of this previous claim, I suggest you look into some of Phillip Zimbardo's research on the nature of humanity.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 12:32:07 PM »
I know all about social darwinism.  I'm on the receiving end, and when that happens long enough, I think anyone would reevaluate their political views, if they happen to be heartless.  I despise strongarm tactics and misinformation.  On the other hand, anyone who is so stupid as to hand over their livelihood to some church, when there are so many less costly spiritual avenues available, has to bear the label of "sucker" with some resignation.  As long as the path is an invitation, not coercion, I don't know what it is that anyone could do about it in a free society.  I have pencils for sale, $1 million apiece.  Would you like to buy one?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 12:41:53 PM »
I will check out some of that guy's research, even though he looks like a child molester.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 12:53:25 PM »
I will check out some of that guy's research, even though he looks like a child molester.

Of particular interest is his research on manipulation.

Cobra:

Yeah, but with the high profile flak religion has been receiving lately from atheists (Dawkins, Hutchinson, etc), don't you think a shiny new following that's touted by some of our favourite celebrities is more appealing than ancient dogma that is responsible for so much pain and suffering? It posits itself as an alternate to religion, where there is no real deity, it's more of a way of life, or a philosophy, like Buddhism.

Just one reason why some people might turn to scientology over conventional religions. And while I despise Tom Cruise/Travolta/Alley, when I hear of people like the Nancy Cartwright giving 10 million to the church, and others like Jason Lee etc, who don't have that "creepy" public vibe about them, well, it's shiny and new and attractive. It's everything we as a culture love, but with a rotten inside that can kill you.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »
This entire movement against Scientology amuses me because Scientology is a business and it's just giving them free press.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #27 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »
This entire movement against Scientology amuses me because Scientology is a business and it's just giving them free press.

not ALL press is good press.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 07:13:38 PM »
Sure it is.  I went in to get my personality tested just this morning.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #29 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »
Sure it is.  I went in to get my personality tested just this morning.

You're obviously depressed and in need of auditing... give me money and I will fix your depression.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #30 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »
not ALL press is good press.

For Scientology it is. They weren't exactly a bastion of credibility to begin with.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #31 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »
For Scientology it is. They weren't exactly a bastion of credibility to begin with.

But for years their whole bag was viciously attacking ANY negative press

Now the negative press is so overwhelming that they can't possibly attack every source. Particularly now that the huddled masses on the internet have been rallied to the cause...

Now it just remains to be seen if the effort can be maintained. My instinct tells me no, but this is still my opportunity to picket the Scientology building in Vancouver. And I can't pass that up.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 09:23:03 PM »
That buidling used to get picketed like every day for at least a year and a half straight.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #33 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 11:44:43 PM »
That buidling used to get picketed like every day for at least a year and a half straight.

I guess I didn't get the memo

Or I didn't live in the city at the time.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 12:36:56 AM »
This was when I was in highschool, so I believe you'd still be in Kamloops.  It wasn't major picketing either, probably the same 5 or so people.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »
This was when I was in highschool, so I believe you'd still be in Kamloops.  It wasn't major picketing either, probably the same 5 or so people.

yeah, I believe there's over 30 confirmed for this sunday, that was as of two days ago, and who knows really if they will all show up.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 05:45:14 PM »
How'd it go Kams?  I ran across some pictures from one in California and I'm kind of sad to see the abundance of masks (Guy Fawkes masks no less).  The best way to know whether or not to take a protester seriously?  Check out if they're hiding their face.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 10:09:55 PM »
unfortunately with the nature of scientology, hiding identity is needed. most people don't really want to take on scientologists who believe in "fair game" - you know, that thing where they say it's fine to discredit, harrass, harm and make shit up about SPs (suppressive persons), as long as it gets them to back the fuck off. if any individual takes them on for what they are, they can expect their life to be a lot more difficult. being part of a group is going to help your chances of being ignored, but it still wouldn't be hard for them to find out who you are. this isn't paranoia, it's genuinely how they work and is one of the main reasons these protests happened. you probably know all this, so i'm not sure why you question the masks thing.

you can argue how retarded the masks, or for that matter, the entire thing is, but at least people are having the conviction to give it a go rather than just be part of the apathetic "everything's stupid" thing.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 02:09:41 AM »
unfortunately with the nature of scientology, hiding identity is needed.

Oh, for Anonymous themselves, most definitely, but for some chump holding a sign outside a CoS?  Not at all.  People have been doing that without masks for at least a decade, and they've gotten away with it.  The thousands of people on facebook and flickr who have directly linked their names with anti-Scientology groups have also been perfectly fine.  Lets not buy into it all and be overly melodramatic here, the chances of any sort of retribution for participating in a protest like this are slim to none unless you currently or previously were employed by the CoS (or signed any sort of contractual agreement you would break by speaking out). 

As far as discrediting goes, Scientology's "official policy" on this more or less refers to professionals, journalists, former members, and public figures (or, at least historically, that's where the evidence lies).  The actual documented methods of them doing this rely on legal action and borderline harassment through the legal system, general professional censuring and discrediting.   How are they going to discredit any of these protesters "Uh, he makes shitty 6" pizza subs?  She's always late for her shift at TGIF? That guy got fired from Burger King?" The protesters do themselves a disservice here by wearing the masks.  While a certain anonymity provides a certain amount of freedom from consequence, the trade off for that is a lack of credibility in the eyes of those uneducated on the subject, and that's who the protesters should be trying to convince.  There is no point in preaching to the choir, which is essentially what this turned into.  Yes, Scientology is well known for silencing criticism, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that they'll come into your house and slit your throat in your sleep because you showed up at some protest to smoke some herb, regardless of what you know about Operation: Freakout.

Sure, maybe some actually think they need the masks, but a fair amount of them just really want to wear that badass Guy Fawkes mask they bought a few Halloweens ago after seeing a movie about a revolutionary (with a mask modeled off of the face of a terrorist with religious motivations).

you can argue how retarded the masks, or for that matter, the entire thing is, but at least people are having the conviction to give it a go rather than just be part of the apathetic "everything's stupid" thing.

Yeah, we went over that before, and assuming that you actually leave your house to do it, I whole heartily stand behind your protest of the Church of Scientology.  The masks, however, are still stupid and counter-productive.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 02:39:53 AM »
i recently watched bbc's panorama documentary "scientology and me". in that, the documentary team interviewed a guy who spoke out about scientology. since then, his home town had been plastered with fliers talking about his past as a sex worker. mid way through the interview, a scientologist turned up and without prompting went into detail about the poor guy's sordid past.

yeah, the chance is slim, i'm well aware, but it's this kind of stuff that will make people think twice about speaking out.

i dunno. i guess people wanted to err on the side of caution. or they like dressing up - whatever. it may harm the cause, but given that they were probably mostly pimply faced nerds, it might of actually helped.