Author Topic: Google Chrome (browser) released  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Google Chrome (browser) released
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 08:10:40 AM »
Here's something I realize I desperately need:

How do I mute individual web pages in Firefox?

Yes, wouldn't that be nice?  And I would love to be able to turn down the volume of all the flash and shockwave crap without having to turn the wave or master volume down.  It always seems to blare way louder than anything else I may be listening to.

What might sell me on this Chrome is the individual task per tab.  I hate how when one page is struggling in FF, the whole browser (and sometimes Windows) gets unresponsive.  I sometimes have to resort to lowering FF's priority, just so I can get enough response out of the Windows UI to try to close the ill-designed website.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »
I looked at Chrome when it was announced but was quickly disappointed. Now I agree that competition is great, and it's good to have a big company like Google trying to improve the browser.

As a web developer, there's no denying that this will sway a huge number of people over to Chrome and there for to a fairly advanced and standards compliant rendering engine (WebKit/KHTML). That's all great and maybe can push the whole industry forward in getting more standards and possibly finally get rid of the mess IE and Netscape have left us with.

The problem I have though is that Chrome has almost nothing new to offer in the overall browser market. I can't think of a single feature that Chrome offers that I can't find in another browser. Now, it's great to see these features finally make it to Windows because many of the cool and advanced browsers are currently for Mac or Linux only (such as Camino and Shiira which are both Mac only and offer most of the features Chrome now offers).

Google makes Chrome sound like some kind of new innovation that is supposed to be a huge improvement. Maybe to those who come from IE, but not for the rest of us who are on Linux, Macs or use Firefox. Where's the true innovation? Where's even a new rendering engine? Google just took what was already available as open source and packaged it up. It would've been better if all the new open source contributes Chrome will attract would work on the original projects that Chrome is based off!

As far as it being lightweight and small, it won't stay that way. All applications start small, but as users demand more and better features it'll start getting bloated. Especially as an open source project. And, how is Google going to incorporate the open source improvements? No doubt they'll be controlling what goes in, in which case they'll be no better than Apple keeping WebKit open source to improve Safari.

Basically for a company the size of Google I figured they'd release something more innovative, in the same way their original search engine improved on searching the web. The more I think about the more I see Google as an intellectual black hole. As a company they have a huge intellectual base, a lot of the world's best programmers are currently working at Google, yet very little actually comes out as a sum of them all.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 05:40:46 PM »
i'm liking chrome so fart.. just cause it's so much lighter.  FF is still a favorite though.  But FF just slows down my computer too much when i have too many FF windows open.
Taken.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »
fart!

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »
I'm now using Chrome over FF, FF keeps messing up and it doesn't save my passwords so I have to login every time I open the browser. If Chrome can fix this, I'm in it for life!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »
Ironically enough IE is the one that's giving me issues. It used to be my last resort browser, just in case certain sites refused to load in Firefox. Now I only use IE inadvertently to check my Hotmail when WL Messenger automatically loads it up or for Windows Updates. Firefox is still my #1.

Like I said before I'm gonna wait on Chrome till it's a bit more refined.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »
I'm now using Chrome over FF, FF keeps messing up and it doesn't save my passwords so I have to login every time I open the browser. If Chrome can fix this, I'm in it for life!
Turn on cookies?

My only dislike of FF is how beefy it's gotten.  I thought the project goal was to slim down the bloat that was formerly Netscape/Communicator?  Now it's almost just as bad.  However, the inline spell checking is awesome as all get-out.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »
I've tried everything, nothing seems to work. I'll miss you FF...

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 09:34:27 PM »
My only dislike of FF is how beefy it's gotten.  I thought the project goal was to slim down the bloat that was formerly Netscape/Communicator? 
No, the original goal was to make a version of the Mozilla browser without the bundled email and IRC apps.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 10:51:17 PM »
You could always try Mobile Firefox.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
Turn on cookies?

My only dislike of FF is how beefy it's gotten.  I thought the project goal was to slim down the bloat that was formerly Netscape/Communicator?  Now it's almost just as bad.  However, the inline spell checking is awesome as all get-out.
Really? FF is the lightest and slimmest one I've used so far. Granted I had to customize it to be that way.

I just tried out Opera v9.6 and while I respect it, and I love some of its unique features (Opera Link is pretty sweet for synchronizing bookmarks and settings) I reverted back to FF. I'd use Opera over IE any other day though!

If you're having trouble with FF or just not liking it give Opera a shot.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: Monday, November 03, 2008, 04:44:02 AM »
Chrome is moving really slow for me (but my comp does suck) and spell check doesn't work for shit.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #52 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 08:05:41 AM »
Chrome is out of beta and on to its first official release.