Author Topic: Starting the move to Florida project for real  (Read 8295 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Starting the move to Florida project for real
« on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 09:35:44 AM »
I've casually mentioned a few times on here for the last year that I plan on moving to Florida.  Nothing was every concrete except for the fact that we were going to move there "sometime in the next year or two".  I visioned it to happen next winter or next summer but it always seemed so far away and we hadn't done any real planning.  Well, it's starting to happen for real right now.

As you might have seen in the "Let's bitch about our jobs" thread, my current employment scenario is going down the tubes in a hurry.  As such, I have started floating my resume.  I started thinking, "Should I limit my search to just Cincinnati or should I start looking in Florida?  What's the point of getting another job here for less than a year and bailing?"  I mentioned this to Jennie and she called her aunt in Florida who happens to be a very good friend of the director of IT at her company and this person also happens to owe Jennie's aunt several major favors.  I've already sent her my resume.  If this thing pans out, honestly I could see myself moving to Florida within the next couple of months.

One thing that I found out that sucks though is that while South Florida has a significantly higher cost of living than Cincinnati (mostly in housing which is more than double what it is here) is that the salaries for the most part are the same as there as they are here.  In some cases they are slightly higher, like just a couple thousand a year higher.  That is going to be tough to get used to.

Another thing that will be interesting is the environment in South Florida.  Here are some facts:

• At many companies, people love to hate IT.  Their computers are too old or too slow, or both.  They get errors.  They can't get access to files they want to get access to.  Bob got a new computer, but Jane didn't and it isn't fair.  Bob wanted dual monitors to be more productive but the request was denied..  The reality is that technology is complicated, unreliable, and expensive.  Well at least it is more unreliable than people want it to be.  While it is possible to design and implement systems with the best possible hardware and software and have multiple layers of redundancy, all that stuff is very expensive and most IT budgets don't come close to being able to implement something like that.  The saying in IT for "adding another 9 to the end" (going from say 99.9% uptime to 99.99% or from 99.99% to 99.999%) is to add another 0 to the end of the budget.  In any case the end result is that people don't get to have the latest and greatest all the time and things don't always work like they want it to and as such they ultimately feel like IT either doesn't care or is bad at their jobs.
  • South Florida has a significantly higher population of Hispanics than Cincinnati, which I would assume would mean I would be dealing with them at work far more frequently than I do now.
  • Based on my experience, Hispanics - at least those that I've met in South Florida - are significantly more assertive than the average Cincinnatian.  The average Cincinnatian prefers to keep relationships and face-to-face encounters cordial when possible.  Hispanics are more assertive, but they don't necessarily hold grudges about the things they say.  They say their piece and that is the end of it.  I guess it's not a lot different than the personality of New Yorkers and Bostonians that I've met.

So that will be an interesting twist.  I feel like it won't be a big deal because I consider myself a person of integrity who will defend myself if I did no wrong and admit my mistakes when I am wrong.  So hopefully that will work down there.  I just keep hearing these words from Jennie's aunt echoing in my head:  "It's a different environment down here.  Latinos can be cutthroat."  It's kind of scary, but I can handle it.

In any case this whole thing is exciting and scary at the same time.  I'm happy at the prospect of moving on from my current employer and moving to South Florida, but it's scary because there is so much work to be done, especially dealing with our house.  It's also scary that I'll be moving on from everything I've ever known to somewhere fairly foreign.  I'll be leaving all my family (all of which live in Cincinnati with very few exceptions) but at the same time joining Jennie's.  Jennie's dad moved from New Jersey to South Florida about a year ago and so I have been talking to him quite a bit.  He said at first it is like you are on vacation: "This is great!"  But then even though you consciously knew it all along, your subconscious catches up to you when it realizes that this vacation isn't a vacation at all.  It's a new life, different in many respects from what you are familiar and comfortable with.  Then homesickness sets in for awhile.

I can completely see that happening.  He did say the homesickness for him has mostly subsided but that if we weren't going to move down there he was going to go back to New Jersey.  Effectively the only thing keeping him going is the fact that we'll be there soon enough.

I've never done anything like this.  The farthest away from Cincinnati I've ever lived was in Oxford, OH and that isn't far at all so the climate, culture, and native plants and wildlife were all pretty similar.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Starting the move to Florida project for real
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »
I wish you the best of luck, man.  Florida is a beautiful state in many ways, but it's also a hassle too, and it's one of the very unhealthiest states in the country just at present.  If you've got an in for work that would be a huge boon there, as the job market is really bad right now (my best friend has lived in Florida her whole life, in case you're wondering why I sound like I know things, haha).  So that would definitely be a huge plus if you could get yourself into work quickly.  Make the whole transition a lot easier.

I know how the rest of it feels having more or less just done the same thing, though without quite so many complications.  Logistically obviously it was way easier for me just because of the lack of property and no family to move, etc., but I definitely have a better sense of what it takes to adjust to a new place.  But maybe it won't be so bad for you.  If you've never tried it, you never know.  Everyone always told me I'd have so much trouble adjusting to things here, and while I've had some setbacks here due to extraneous circumstances, the whole being-in-a-new-place thing really hasn't been half as big a deal as I thought it would be, even having left all my family behind.

Good luck, dude.  Keep us updated... I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 11:48:12 AM »
Doesn't Florida have the largest number of Cubans in the country? A friend of mine told me that theres a big difference between Cubans and other hispanics and he was mexican.

anyways, good luck dude. enjoy the heat.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »
I wish you all the best with the move, Scott! It's always tough moving. The funny part is you don't realize how much stuff you actually have until you have to move it :D

If you go to Miami, let me know if people will randomly make a pun then burst out "YEEEEEEAAAH!!"

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »
Doesn't Florida have the largest number of Cubans in the country? A friend of mine told me that theres a big difference between Cubans and other hispanics and he was mexican.

anyways, good luck dude. enjoy the heat.

Yeah, Cubans and Mexicans are completely different.  Also, Cuban exiles have had a society there for half a century, and a good one at that.  "Florida" is a Spanish word that means "in bloom" or similar, and was settled by Spanish descendants long before Anglo history here, but that's another conversation.  In short, they'll be all over down there.

Good luck, Scott.  I hope this works well for you.  I can't help feeling a bit of envy as I say that.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 05:57:13 PM »
Jennie is Cuban.  It's mostly her family and people I've met through her family that I am referring to.

If you go to Miami, let me know if people will randomly make a pun then burst out "YEEEEEEAAAH!!"
???
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 06:45:34 PM by scottws »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
Good luck on the move, dude.  I know about big moves like the one you are about to do.  The homesickness you mentioned will subside.  I remember when I moved from Austin, Texas, where I was born and lived all of my life, to Phoenix, it was pretty hectic for the first few months and it sucked really bad being away from all my family and friends.  I got lucky and met a bunch of cool people within my first few months there (like W7RE) and it made things better.  Your move is definitely much bigger than mine was though so I hope it goes well for you.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »
That was a CSI Miami reference. It's the only current exposure we have to Miami on this side :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
Hahaha that show is godawful.  But I'll be sure to let you know.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »

No, that's my high-school.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 10:16:04 PM »
No, that's my high-school.
Looks like, you're old school.. YEEEAAAAAHH!!!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 08:44:35 AM »
Well, it's official.  I will be a Floridian by July 11.

The job lead I was talking about here didn't happen.  In fact I am going to be unemployed.  Jennie got a job with a big raise and we are living with her sister temporarily to save on costs.  We'll still have a mortgage to pay short term, and two car payments, so it won't be easy but we are also jettisoning things like lawn care, phone/internet/cable, garbage, and water.

I am confident that I will be able to find a job quickly.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »
Best of luck man.  You are (1) young, (2) recently employed in your field successfully, and (3) moving to a much better market than decaying Cincy.  The job market is tough, but I think you're right to show some confidence.  Your move sounds enviable and exciting.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 09:50:13 AM »
Good luck, dude.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 10:19:03 AM »
Best of luck, man. Hope it works out well for you.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »
Best of luck man.  You are (1) young, (2) recently employed in your field successfully, and (3) moving to a much better market than decaying Cincy.  The job market is tough, but I think you're right to show some confidence.  Your move sounds enviable and exciting.
Yeah seeing Cincy going downhill is sad.  And to think it was named the #1 place to live in the US in the mid 90's.  That seems incredible now... impossible to imagine.

The most visible sign of the decline is the airport.  It is a complete ghost town now, yet they had to build a 3rd runway 20 years ago to keep up with the traffic.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Monday, July 04, 2011, 08:59:33 AM »
Well, today is my last full day in Cincy.  Tomorrow I hit the road for the long (!) drive to South Florida.

It turns out I am going to work part-time for my current employer until I find a job.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get them to agree to my full salary or a high percentage of my full salary.  I should have said no just to see what they would say, but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to do that.

It will be nice sitting by the pool on the computer doing work.  That will be a good change of pace.  Still need to put the boots to the ground though and find a full time job.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday, July 04, 2011, 09:16:42 AM »
Awesome.  Wish I was tagging along.  Keep us informed about your tropical adventures.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Monday, July 04, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
All the best dear Scott.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, July 06, 2011, 05:40:56 PM »
Well, I've arrived.  Crazy, it feels like vacation so far.  I wonder when it will start to hit me that I'm not going back.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, July 07, 2011, 02:53:15 AM »
Probably one of those "self aware" nights when you will experience something Florida that will remind you deeply of Cincinnati.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »
So, I finally got a job!  Start on the 19th of September.  I am really excited.  I had already turned down several job offers for various reasons as I was holding out for a good fit, something career advancing, and for a salary I wanted.  I finally got that offer today.  Yay!

I feel bad in some ways.  I talked to some people who were flat out amazed that I had turned down even one job offer no matter what it was.  I guess I'm lucky to be in an area where skills such as those I possess are in demand.

I still haven't really gotten homesick.  At this point I don't think I will.  I am too laid back to get homesick, I think.  Last night the Reds were playing the Phillies in Cincinnati and it was televised on ESPN.  They had shots of the city and while I felt a sense of pride and familiarity when I saw them, I never really felt a sense of longing.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 06:10:50 PM by scottws »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »
I kept forgetting to say good luck when it was relevant, so I can be the first (here) to say congrats. Now you can slack off... sort of. Well, you can at least go out and get a great dinner and not feel like you're splurging too much.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »
Finding a job in Florida is definitely something to be congratulated about, especially if turning down a few first. Congrats man.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #24 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
Well, started the job, obviously.  It's weird.  I was basically a god at my last employer.  I was essentially "the guy" and did everything.  I was completely overworked and burnt out, but I was a lot better than previous admins they had.

It's a different story at my current employer.  The employer I work for now is rolling in so much cash they don't know what to do with it.  Our IT department is huge for the number of users.  At my last company before outsourcing we were 13 people to a range of 800 - 1200 employees.  Now I'm a team of something like 40 people to 2000.  There is so much money invested in IT that if something breaks it's not really that big a deal because there is so much redundancy and when something isn't redundant it's a virtual machine that can be restored in about an hour with very little stress.  It's not even just that, it's the culture.  People are more patient.  At my last job if someone called about something we worked on it until resolution almost immediately and if we didn't there was hell to pay because we had less than zero support from upper management.  Here people will call and there isn't really that sense of urgency and people are very understanding.  It's nice, but can be kind of boring.  It's also overwhelming because there are so many servers and so much more true enterprise technology that I feel like a complete rookie.  I was a god, but now I feel like an idiot in comparison to my coworkers.  Some of the guys are just brilliant at IT like I've never seen.  Hell we have some CCIE (high level Cisco certification) that was hired from Colorado that didn't start for more than three months after he was hired.  Honestly I can't believe I got the job.  I just hope I can ramp up quickly enough that I can add value.

I'm hoping I'm just underselling myself, as my wife and mother-in-law say I always do.  And to be fair, when I got my job before last I had never even worked with Windows Server outside of a classroom and at my last job I was building out VMware vSphere clusters tied to SANs.  So I guess I can learn it with time.  It's just that before I was so much better than everyone else and here I'm not.

One thing about South Florida that I didn't realize is that no one is from here.  It seems rare to run into a native Floridian, much less a native South Floridian.  It's like everyone from the Northeast moves down here and I guess people from here move up to the Northeast.  One guy I work with is a native South Floridian but he always talks about how much he hates it.  I just tell him:  "the grass isn't always greener, there is no perfect place".  A consequence of all this is that there is no sense of hometown pride amongst anyone.  No one cares about the Dolphins or Marlins or the big college teams like the Hurricanes, Gators, or Seminoles.  Giants, Jets, Patriots, Eagles, Bills, and Steelers fans probably outnumber Dolphins fans 5-1.  It's even worse if you look at baseball.

I'm starting to miss Cincy pretty bad.  It's the little things.  I'll see stuff on Facebook I missed, or just think about how I used to hang out with some friends on Saturday or go out to the bar with some awesome co-workers on Fridays.  Miss seeing basically every Reds game on TV or at least hearing them on the radio, or being able to go down to a game on a whim.  Miss hanging out with my brothers and reminiscing about growing up.  Miss UDF ice cream, goetta, every kind of sausage you an imagine (especially Queen City sausage), Busken cookies, LaRosa's pizza, and having tons of restaurants less than five minutes from my house.

Miss having my own house a lot.  My house still hasn't sold and we are still living with my sister-in-law.  It's scary, actually.  We've lowered the price down to what we bought it for and if it sold now we'd probably owe a few thousand due to realtor commission.  But there has been very little interest in our home at that price.  Our realtor said that their company has had a good level of interest in some other properties in the area, but they are priced $15-20 thousand less than ours (though ours has more bedrooms and is nicer).  But we are just not getting any hits.  We've had one showing since the house has been on the market.  One.  One piece of encouragement is that it was at the original high price when that happened and they liked the house, just thought the bedrooms were too small.  I now wish I did stay in Cincy to sell the house because the bedrooms do look tiny with no furniture but they actually have plenty of room and look bigger with furniture in there.

At this point I don't expect the house to sell until spring, and even then I'm not sure.  The economy seems to have a dimmer outlook every day.  I just don't know how we can lower the price.  If we do and it sold, we would owe tens of thousands of dollars at closing, and we just don't have that.  It simply can't be done.  We've considered trying a short sale or even walking away, but it would hurt our credit and we are planning to buy down here and it wouldn't happen if we did that.  Besides, many people walking away are people that owe $100 thousand plus more than their house is worth and we're not in that situation.  We're just missing by a few thousand to ten or twenty thousand.  We've considered renting, but you can't sell out from under a renter and I'd be worried about maintenance, especially with the distance.  We could hire a company but in the end I don't think it would really be worth it.  Besides, renting would devalue the neighborhood, further hurting the value of our house.

There is some good stuff though.  The weather here is still really humid, but I have to say that when I see that our low is 81 and Cincy's high is 62, I don't feel too bad.  The sunrises and sunsets here are amazing.  I can go swimming every day if I want.  I work for a great organization and make a lot of money.  There is a lot to do here.  The beach is less than 30 minutes away.  I can get one of my favorite beers (Presidente) whenever I want.  The area we are living in is really nice.  People here are nicer than expected.

Just wanted to share an update with you guys.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #25 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 10:10:03 PM »
I'm really glad the job is working out for you and it sounds like it's much less stressful, your Cincy IT job sounded rough. Hopefully you can learn a lot at this new place because it sounds like you will.

I feel you about being a little homesick, I think this time of year is when I miss Tennessee the most. Autumn in Texas sucks, it's not very pretty and its still pretty hot, though it has gotten a little cooler, better than the 100+ degree days we were getting. But there's that and I miss seeing my Moms dogs a lot, and the cat.

I hope you living situation works out. My dad had quite a time looking for a place, but he was patient. He almost had a foreclosed house picked out but ended up backing out. Eventually we found a realtor setting up homes in a new area in a nice area, since it was a new neighborhood that hadn't started construction yet they threw in some incentives and we ended up taking it. So try to stay positive, I'm sure something will come up, just keep your eyes open.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »
Good luck, man. The housing market is crap everywhere these days. I know at least 4 people trying to sell their homes and none of them are managing. My aunt and uncle finally ditched their 6 million dollar house after a long haul, but they took a sickening loss. Hope things get better there.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, October 01, 2011, 04:32:55 AM »
My house took a while to sell as well, but that was back in '05-06, just when the market started to get tight here.  I had to lower the price twice, and ended up taking a little less than that.  Thinking back on it now, I realize I still did a lot better than I would have if I had to sell it today.  A neighbor across the street from my mother has been trying to sell his house for the better part of a year.  I shudder to think how hard it's going to be to deal with my mom's property when she leaves us.

I'm glad you're doing so well, Scott.  That sounds like a terrific environment.  You're looking at Cincy with rose-colored glasses now.  As you said, the grass is always greener.  I understand missing your family and the nostalgia for the things you grew up with.  But seriously, this area is for the birds anymore.  You're not missing much.  Even the Bengals can't generate any excitement.  Their games have been blacked out locally 2 weeks in a row.  They can't sell enough tickets after such dismal, amateurish, inept performances last year.

Continued success, my friend.  You're an inspiration.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #28 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 09:01:45 AM »
So update... and it's not good.

Last Friday, we found out that someone broke into our house and partially succeeded at stealing some of our copper piping.  The bigger problem is that we still had the water turned on.  The thugs tore up a bunch of walls and the basement ceiling, presumably looking for the water shutoff but never found it.  We don't know how long it was in this state, but we think a week or two.  Can't wait to see the water bill.

We were worried about our insurance situation because our agent never changed us over to a vacancy policy.  But I guess they owned up to it (we did notify them we were moving out) and we are covered.  So the silver lining is that everything will be fixed and we basically get a new basement out of it.  We also get new kitchen cabinets because water was squirting up on them.  Hopefully this helps us sell our house faster.

I do worry about a repeat occurrence.  Our insurance agent said that there is really nothing stopping them from coming back once the repairs are complete.  He said the best bet is to have a tenant or to use PVC pipe instead of copper in the repairs.

Anyway, it sucks because we had just talked to our mortgage lender about our situation where we didn't seem to be able to price the house low enough to sell given our cash on hand and they had basically agreed to look at lower offers and potentially absolve us of a few thousand of the debt we couldn't come up with.  So we were excited about being able to price the house to move and get out of that damned mortgage.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #29 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »
Damn, that sucks man. Hope it doesn't happen again. :(

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 11:55:50 PM »
I'm so sick of this copper-stealing bullshit.  Why don't they hold the scrapyards accountable?  The stuff is worthless if nobody buys it.

I'm sorry, Scott.  That sucks.  I hope your insurance steps up to the plate, and everything gets resolved smoothly.  I take it this is your Cincy house that got violated?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »
Here's another update.  The house is so totally fucked.  Water pouring out for a week plus has really screwed the pooch.  The estimate was already close to $30,000 (not including the company that came to clean up the water) and now they have discovered significant mold growth structural damage to the first floor due to soaked load-bearing wood beams, and potential electrical shorting in the furnace.  I mean if it is damaged we are covered, but the insurance company is starting to grumble a bit.  It is practically going to be a new house when they are done.

All for a few hundred dollars of pipe.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
Geez, thats terrible.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Friday, December 02, 2011, 06:32:59 AM »
People are shit. That really sucks, man... best of luck with everything.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #34 on: Friday, December 09, 2011, 05:59:26 AM »
I am so sorry. I am glad you have insurance. Someone who didn't would be in real financial trouble potentially!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »
Potential financial trouble?  It would be more like actual financial ruin.  I don't have that kind of money laying around just to put back into the house to get back where I was.

The damages are up around $40,000+ now.  Insurance company is being difficult on a few items like kitchen cabinets and our kitchen tile.  They were both really high-end items but our insurance company is saying they were too high grade to be in a house in our neighborhood.  Our contractor says you can't even get cabinets made as well as ours were these days.  I believe it.  They didn't look modern, but they were really well-made.

The tile is already sort of resolved.  Our contractor says our damaged kitchen tile is about $4.30/tile.  The replacement tile we picked out is like $1.80/tile.  The sticking point is just the estimate on what we should be compensated for for the tile.  We should be owed what was damaged, not just the cost to replace with something cheaper.

Another issue that is going to work in our favor is that there is severe water damage to the hardwood floor right at our front door.  The contractor said that there are a couple of options here.  One is to replace the entire floor, which covers the whole first floor except the kitchen and bathroom.  The other is just to cut out the bad stuff and replace it with tile, which actually works out really nice because it is the entry way.  So by doing that we actually save the insurance company a ton of money saying we are satisfied with such a repair and instead of expecting full damages for the entire floor, just the damages for that one area.  Contractor says this should really work in our favor as far as getting some of the stuff we are expecting in the kitchen.

We were also hoping to get a new furnace as it is ancient and there is clear evidence of water being sprayed on it and resulting rust, but the insurance company is already pretty incensed at the cost of the damages so we haven't said anything yet.  It still works.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
Man, what a nightmare. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, December 11, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »
God, that's horrible.  I don't know if I could have dealt rationally with it all.  At least is seems things are getting resolved, more or less.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Monday, December 12, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
Fingers crossed for you, man. Hope the insurance company comes through.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, December 17, 2011, 06:23:59 AM »
Well, furnace is definitely being replaced.  Apparently our contractor had an HVAC guy come out and that guy discovered that due to the water, the unit severely rusted and then something cracked which has been releasing carbon monoxide into the house.  It was so bad apparently that they guy ordered everyone out of the house immediately and shut off the gas right then and was planning on ripping out the furnace right then and there as "condemned".  But they need to show the insurance guy so that's happening on Monday now.

Bad news about the hardwood floor too.  Apparently the warped portion of the floor extends too far into the front room from the entryway, meaning that it isn't practical to just cut out the bad portion and replace it with tile; it would look weird.  The only other options are to replace the whole hardwood floor or carpet the front room.  We definitely want a new floor.  It's not like we have plywood that got warped, we have a hardwood floor!  Hiding under carpet is just not going to happen.

The insurance company is not going to like this development.  They've already been coming back to us and haggling on a few small items trying to get us to take less than what it would cost to truly repair or replace the items.  I don't think the furnace will be a big deal.  It was old.  We aren't going to ask for some high-end brand $8,000 99% efficient superfurnace.  We'll take a cheap brand 80% efficient unit.  But the floor is going to be a big problem.  The insurance company is very afraid of having to replace the whole thing, they've already tried to plant crappy ideas in our head several times about it like just to sand the warped parts down until it is level or carpet the front room (but not the bedrooms?  That''s backasswards!).