Author Topic: You guys happy with your PSPs?  (Read 6393 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
You guys happy with your PSPs?
« on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 04:45:59 PM »
Was it worth purchasing?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: You guys happy with your PSPs?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 06:45:58 PM »
I can't complain about owning a PSP, but it definitely is a little lacking on the gaming front.  There are only a handful of games that are really worth playing.  Most of the games are mediocre at best. 

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 08:31:40 PM »
Well, I'm kind of on the fence about getting one. I was playing a golf game at Gamestop, and really digging it. Then I started thinka bout about emulation, and all that. And it sounds pretty cool. The thing is, I never got really into portables. I played my Gameboy once in a while. I think, I myself only purchased 5 games for it. Megan really dug it though. I dunno.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 12:39:17 AM »
I find myself using the PSP less for games and more for other stuff.  I read your thread here first on the PSP, in fact.  I was sitting with my 6-year-old upstairs, away from my computer.  I started to reply, but text entry on a PSP sucks.  (The whole reply would have been something like:  "I'm on a PSP now.  Like it OK, but good games scarce.") 

As iPPi said, the really good games are very scarce.  There are some.  That Golf game you mentioned wouldn't be Hot Shots by any chance?  I have that too, and it's very good for what it is.  Loco Roco is a nice little gem.  There's Lumines, of course.  There are good versions of some console games, which look nice and move nicely (including a Katamari game--yay).  But the problem is that control is nowhere near as good as with a Dual Shock controller.  The analog nub on the PSP stinks.  3D first- or third-person games suffer.

The little system does do well with passive media (movies, mainly).  UMD movies are too expensive, and that's a shame, but the saving grace is that you can encode them from DVDs into MP4s.  With a little effort, they can look pretty good too.  The PSP screen looks terrific.  The low refresh rate will cause some artifacting (looks like a color bleed on edges during motion).  But overall, it beats the competition's resoundingly.  Very nice for watching stuff on the go, or in bed.  The sound quality is good too, through the headphone port.  The built-in speakers are surprisingly bad (even for a portable).

Then there's the whole homebrew scene (independently created software), but Sony being who they are try very hard and very often to shut that down.  You need to choose between UMD games and homebrew in your choice of firmware.  Newer games require newer firmware, and anything past 2.71 has no kernel mode (which makes it very tough to trick the system into running stuff like emulators).  1.5 is the last version which runs non-Sony stuff without a hitch.

I don't know what all your intentions are for a PSP purchase.  What I said about it I think covers its utility.  (I only touched on net capabilities briefly.  Besides the limited internet browser, I've done audio RSS, downloading of MP4s, music and html content.)  I'm happy I have it now, but I bought it for the gaming scene initially, and it has not delivered on that promise as it should have.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 12:55:12 AM »
It was Hot shots. I remember playing the first Hot Shots on PS, and it was a good bit of fun. I think I'd use it more for Homebrew/emulation type stuff. I only see a couple PSP games I'd be interested in playing. Hot Shots, Daxter, Lumines, Metal Gear Acid 2, Syphon Filter, uhhh, thats probably about it.

I dunno, I just have the itch for a new little gadget/toy. I'll beat Okami, then set up my Wi-Fi, and then maybe reevaluate purchasing it. I just need to make sure everything is on budget for my purchase of Wii, heh.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 01:01:29 AM »
More or less what Cobra said, except I've gone homebrew with mine pretty much exclusively.  Haven't bought a single title after launch titles, though those still get at least limited use.  More or less I love it for emulation. Playing SNES games on the go is absolutely wonderful.  Still, I've gotten a lot of use out of that, and once Silent Hill Origins hits, I may consider taking the plunge.  Probably not, though.  There's too much other fun homebrew I want to screw with, and people keep making new things.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 12:46:26 PM »
I'm on the other end of the spectrum as I've used it exclusively for the actual PSP games and have almost no desire for homebrew or movies.

On one level, it's really hard for me to say I'm disappointed because I really enjoy what I've played with it. Lumines is freaking awesome, and there aer a few other really enjoyable games (I can vouch for Hot Shots as well), but I haven't played it much lately. That's not entirely the system's fault however as there are a few newer key titles like Loco Rocco and Exit, just more of a result of my playing habits.

The other side of the coin is there really isn't that many super awesome titles that are unique to the PSP. Nothing really stands on level of Lumines, but that's being ported to every system and its mother very soon (although it looks like it's being tinkered with too much to me). GTA:Liberty City Stories was fun, but that's now on the PS2 and it doesn't really stand up to GTA:VC or GTA:SA. Most of the other good games are sequels or little brother versions of something on the PS2. The exceptions are Exit, Loco Rocco, and the Metal Gear Tactical RPGs. Those are all well and good, but I wouldn't calling them AAA games is very debatable.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 01:15:24 PM »
I was rading about the homebrew stuff, and Devhook. People playing ISO's of PSP UMD games, not that I would really do that much...

*cough*

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 01:27:41 PM »
Sirean: Interesting.  I've played PSP games as much or more than that.  In addition to the release titles (Lumines the clear standout) & Hot Shots, I've eaten up Loco Roco and Katamari, and played through several mediocre titles.  I've started on and quit on even more poor titles.  But I do use the system often, so percentage-wise, other activity gets the lion's share of time.  For a while, I was really into producing the best video quality possible out of MP4s.  I encoded a bunch of my DVDs into it.  More recently I've delved into the homebrew PMP (full-resolution) format, which is basically XviD or H.264 and MP3 AVI, with PSP restrictions.  I get into this kind of stuff, and spend far more time on it than I do playing the system's short list of decent titles.

[Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.]

Scary: DevHook can be used to "dual-boot" firmwares.  You can get the benefits of 2.71 while still keeping 1.5 in the real flash memory of the PSP.  It doesn't have to be used for piracy, but yeah, *all* PSP games now will work untouched from a 2GB memory card with DevHook running 2.71, or so I've read. *Cough louder*

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 03:06:41 PM »
I used to run a bit of homebrew, but I got relatively bored of it quickly.  It's a nice "feature" but in all honesty it's sort of overrated.  There are some good homebrew stuff though, like SNES emulators and the rRootage port (for me anyway). 

Regardless, I've been using my PSP for games that I actually buy though.  I haven't purchased anything in months though, but I'm interested in a few titles like Katamari, Loco Roco, Every Extend Extra, and Killzone Liberation.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 03:21:13 PM »
It has to be a 2GB mem stick?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 03:24:09 PM »
Has to be big enough to fit the UMD in question, whatever size that may be.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 04:06:46 PM »
It has to be a 2GB mem stick?

No.  I once read somewhere (damn this cough won't go away) that some games can be brought down to like 70 MB, once all the unrelated crap and window dressing gets axed.  I even read that Lumines is like 200 MB, music and all.  But 2 GB will fit all, since the capacity of UMDs is like 1.8 GB.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 08:34:51 PM »
So I should ammend my previous statements somewhat.  The launch titles I have actually aren't that bad, and Wipeout Pure is one of the best racing games ever.  I absolutely love it, and with all the free downloads there's absolute gobs of shit to play with that one.  Kinda' forgot about it... was playing at work today.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 09:08:15 PM »
I haven't played Wipeout Pure in a while.  I played Lumines this weekend and got a new highscore.  Broke 514k points.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 05:27:41 PM »
So, I caved and got one. Been working a lot of overtime and stuff lately. Since Winter is coming up, lots of things need to be done. So, I've got some pretty fat checks in the last few weeks. Which is nice. Have My Wii money all ready to go, savings is good, all that. So, I got one. I bought Lumines. Which is totally awesome. I still suck, but I'm getting better. First score was like 7000, and after about and hour I was up to 36,000. Which is currectly my high. It's just a fun game, addicting, great music, neat "skins". Digging it. I tried to get an older version of the psp. So I can play emulators, and such on it, but that was a no go. The guy couldn't find a 1.50/2.00. The only ones most people carry now are the 2.60. Which sucked...at first. I upgraded to 2.71. And I found some software that emulates 1.50 under 2.71. So...*cough*. It works great. So far I'm totally digging it. I figured I'd get it to play with, and if I ended up not really liking it, I have 30 days to take it back to Circuit City.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 07:22:30 PM »
You can back-date to 1.5 from 2.71, but if you found another solution, great.  Less risky.  Hope you enjoy it.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 07:31:08 PM »
This one has one of the new Mobo's. I can't downgrade it. It has a TA-802 or whatever. It would break my shite.

Check it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 07:58:40 PM »
Yeah, I had read that before, but not all the comments.  So it appears that 1.5 will work within DevHook run off of 2.71, the complete reverse of my situation.  Haha!  I knew about the new mobo, made to keep you from doing exactly what it is you still can do anyway.  Seeing Sony's restrictive will get sidestepped yet again makes my day. 

So it seems that in lieu of 1.5, 2.71 is the firmware to aim for.  2.80 and up dispense with kernel mode, which will make life even tougher for homebrew.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 08:23:33 PM »
That's awesome.  I'm a little worried about some of the later games that I know I'll want to play and whether or not Sony will ever truly break homebrew (which to this day I say is a bad business decision on their part), but I hope some new solutions become available.  I'd very much like to continue emulating newer firmware versions if at all possible.  I'm having fun screwing with 2.71 since Cobra helped me get Devhook up and running.

Oh, and Loco Roco is amazing.  I am now fully in the "GSpot's review was ass" camp.  Seriously, Gherstmann dropped the ball on that one.  I don't know how he could possibly score it so low.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 12:06:08 PM »
Any recommendations for SNES emulators or Sega Emulators?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »
Don't know about Sega as I haven't really screwed with that yet, but I think the best SNES emu is SNES9x_TYL.  It's got great sound and is nearly at full speed.  But I haven't tried many others in a long while, so I don't know for sure. But I can say for sure that this one works, is almost full speed, and doesn't corrupt memory sticks (which it did earlier... blew one of my 256MB cards... but that problem is no more).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 06:05:35 PM »
You can do a chkdsk [psp drive letter]: /f on memory sticks.  Should fix any software-created corruptions.

To my knowledge that is still the SNES emulator of choice, because it utilizes the graphics capabilities of the hardware.  Most others implement everything in software.  I have not messed with Sega stuff on the PSP at all.  NesterJ does well for NES and RIN has worked very well for GBC.  I don't do GBA emulation, since I have a DS.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 08:49:31 PM »
I got the latest version of Snes9xTYL, the new ME version.  (Not Windows Millennium Ed, but Media Engine.)  It offloads audio reproduction from the CPU, apparently a hardware feature, although I know nothing about it yet.  This only works under Firmware 1.0 and 1.5.  User-mode versions for 2.x still need to use the CPU for audio.

Anyway, this works well, with 44.1KHz audio moving right along without impacting the speed of the game.  There is a downside.  Save states tend to screw up on audio when loaded.  There is a weird solution for that.  Get the game Super Pang (a search will bring up options lickety split) and load it first.  Save settings as default in the emu menu, then load up the game you really want to play.  Save states now should be good on audio.  The procedure is detailed here.  I can verify that it works on Secret of Mana and Earthbound.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 08:53:22 PM »
Very weird.  I've had that error but use a different solution -- if I load a state, I just do another *real* save quickly somewhere, reboot the game, load from the real save, and it's all better.  I've heard the sound in all these games enough that missing a couple minutes of sound isn't going to impact anything for me.  But yes, the ME version is superior to the others.  I've been using it for a number of months now.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 09:09:54 PM »
Yeah, playing through in silence until a save point was what I thought I'd have to do.  But this trick works well.  Once you have a good save state, you don't need to jump through hoops again.

The last version I had was like 0.2.  (This is 0.4.)  I wish they had worked less on pretty UIs and more on getting the rest of the SNES capabilities implemented in PSP hardware.  Mode 7 is still slow.  I can't complain, though.  It's a nice job.  And nothing beats the SNES in the 2D era--nothing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 09:12:48 PM »
Indeed.  And I really do like the pretty UI stuff, even if I'd rather have had more functionality implemented.  Chances are the UI stuff was really easy anyway and didn't take that much time out of their other work.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 09:18:17 PM »
Good point.  They could have even offloaded that comparatively menial work on people eager to help too. 

It seems that I go in cycles with all this stuff.  Now I foresee myself trying a bunch of SNES games out over the next day or two, maybe even playing a few at length.  Done that before.  *Sigh*  I need to be more than just one person.  Not enough time for everything, and the one good thing about my current situation is that I do have more time than usual.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 09:32:21 PM »
I understand all too well, my friend.  I wish the days had about 15 extra hours.  That might be enough to help me at least feel like I could start to catch up.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 07:20:48 AM »
All this talk is making me want a PSP.  SNES on the go is all they need to sell me.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 07:22:48 AM »
And they've come a long way with running independent software on the higher firmwares.  So you'd be able to use one version of this emulator with any PSP out of the box.  Don't wait until 2.81 filters to the units out of the box.

Hey, this runs Star Ocean untouched now!  That game and a couple others decrypt graphics on the fly with custom hardware, and it was not playable on the PC emulators.  (They eventually came out with these separate graphics packs, but that's a wonky solution at best.)   The dejap site has an almost full English translation patch too.  (You can name the ips file the same as the zip or rom file, and the emulator will patch on the fly.  Neat!)  I don't know if the game is any good, but it's something brand new to me on the SNES scene.  I'm going to try it out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 09:46:10 AM »
It was fairly cool.  I played around with it for a while and enjoyed it.  Of note is the full speach in the intro.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, October 12, 2006, 08:01:58 PM »
Any recommendations for SNES emulators or Sega Emulators?

I saw that there's a Genesis collection coming out for the PSP (most of the games top-notch, from what I saw).  That motivated me to look into the emulators.  It seems that DGen is the way to go right now.  I've tried Kid Chameleon, Phantasy Star IV and Sonic 1 on it.  All work well so far, with a bit of settings tweaks.  The engine is not nearly as impressive as the SNES TYL's.  Probably all software rendering.  But the speed and sound are OK on 1.70b at 333 MHz with a max frameskip of 1.  I'm not sure yet, but it seems that vsync does not take a performance hit with this engine.  I'm going back and forth on it, with no clear winner (except that it's cleaner with vsync, obviously).