Author Topic: Laser TV to kill plasma?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Laser TV to kill plasma?
« on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 08:10:52 PM »
Neato if true. Looks better, half the cost, uses less energy.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Laser TV to kill plasma?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 08:19:22 PM »
In my opinion, Plasma TVs are overrated. 

When the Plasma TV is brand spanking new, it's an awesome device.  But as time progresses, the image quality will as well.  This is due to the fact that Plasma TVs technology relies on a natural phenomena of a chemical reaction with Xenon gas.  It's half-life is approximately 2000 hours of usage, and at that point the image begins to darken, and there's no way to brighten it again since you can't pump more Xenon gas into the TV.

LCDs and DLPs are a far better choice for longetivity in high-definition televisions IMO.  I absolutely love my 62" Widescreen DLP TV.  Only complaint: it does not support 1080p, but I don't have any HD devices yet anyway.

Back to the subject at hand though, interesting.  :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 09:27:38 PM »
Something to look forward to.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 11:44:20 PM »
This is funny because I haven't used the technology that is being outdated.

On another subject, imagine being so jaded with technology that you just aren't affected. Imagine being jaded to the point where you read about DVDs now being obselete, but you still use VHS. :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 04:34:55 AM »
Yeh, I know what you mean.  VCRs are obsolete as far as renting or buying videos.  They are not obsolete in playing back existing stuff, especially if you have kids who like to watch the same show all the time.  You can still get VHS releases from libraries too.  I know that, because it happens here all the time.  We still use them to record TV programs too.

I'll probably never buy a plasma TV.  I have no wide aspect video screens at all, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.  I can foresee getting a cheaper-tech flatscreen monitor or TV at some point, LCD most likely.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 09:49:45 AM »
I never thought plasma was all that hot a technology really.  I'd definately go LCD over plasma.  And I imagine OLED will eventually take up space here too.

DLP I'm not fond of since there are thousands of tiny, movable mirrors.  Eventually, they have to wear out..

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 10:07:36 AM »
Speaking of VCRs, we still use ours to tape shows to watch later. But what do you use when HDTV takes over? I doubt you can use VHS. Does everyone need a Tivo-like digital box with all kinds of DRM built in and a subscription?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »
A friend of mine uses his Media Centre PC.. Apparently Microsoft did one thing right with Windows Media Centre. If you have Cable, it integrates with your system and brings up the channel guide. You can set a recording schedule, which can set channels as well i.e. record Channel 44 @ 8:00 p.m. - 8:30. p.m., and Channel 32 @ 8:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. The feature has been available before, but how simple it is now is what makes it great. WMC is just really good for that.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 06:23:17 PM »
None of that would work on systems with encrypted digital feeds, descrambled by a box on top of your TV.  That's why every time Warner Cable would offer to "upgrade" me to digital cable, I'd turn them down, even when they eventually started offering it for free.  I always used the best tier possible where my own TV, VCR and capture card could tune to all the different channels individually.  That won't be possible much longer, I imagine.

No, VHS isn't going to work on anything but the local legacy TV system.  Notice, though, that this is the year when the new system was supposed to replace the legacy system entirely in the US, by government mandate even.  It seems both the people who buy TVs and the people supplying cable TV had other ideas.